My Hair Restoration Journey Begins!!

boloheadboy

Finding this website has been great therapy for me. It has helped me finally get serious and do something about my hair loss. To know that there are so many others out there like me has given me the support I need to make my final decision.

I consulted with four HT surgeons and I've decided to go with Dr. Thomas Rosanelli in SF. He recommended 1200-1400 grafts to restore my frontal area and about 1600-1800 to add some temple work too. I think this is consistent with what other doctors have told me and from the pictures of Rosanelli's work that I've seen on this website. Please refer to some pics posted that I took yesterday with my iPhone which takes crappy pics, so please bear with me. Does anyone agree or disagree with the amount of grafts? If so please let me know because even though it will be my first procedure and may need another one several years down the line, I want to get great results for this first round. I have a tentative appt with him on the 31st of March, pending my time off from work approval. Once approved, I'll pay my deposit and begin my journey. Wish me luck!!

BTW...for the past year to two years I've been shaving my head bald, so the pics below reflect about 1 month growth on top and 2 weeks on the back.

Top.png.3804e63bda1848aa7515d17f687b57e5.png

LeftProfile.png.e36d1a478e24e66eacb22058247dedbe.png

RightProfile.png.1f19085c7bddb0a75e15a4de0e226e8f.png

Edited by boloheadboy

boloheadboy,

Congratulations on your decision to take control of your hair loss! I'm very happy to hear that this forum was instrumental in helping you make an informed decision.

I hope you will continue to update us on your progress.

Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

I would have guessed a little higher graft count but I am no expert. U appear to have minituration on the entire top to some degree so I are u on propecia? It could just be the lighting.

Good luck.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I am currently using rogaine. I'm not on propecia yet, but I plan on starting soon though. The graft counts I got from the other docs were 1500 and 2000, so I don't really know what they are seeing, but they are all within the 500 grafts from each other. I agree that I might be thinning out in the back too, but I've kind of always had thin hair, so the lighting might be an issue because when I took pictures of my hair from different angles it looked similar. I have three daughters and they all have thin hair too. This might be why I was in denial all these years. Also, I've always had a receding hairline even as a child, so that didn't bother me as much. However, now that I have an island in the frontal area of my hair it's been bothering me quite a bit. :(

When I shave it bald, I think that I have a decent head for it, but as shallow as it sounds, I've done a lot better with the ladies when I have hair then when I shave it.

I think you are close to or little better than this patient of rosanelli in terms of balding. 2114 grafts gave him very good transformation. I guess 1600 grafts should give you good look.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/157687-one-session-2-114-grafts-dr-rosanelli.html

baldingbro,

thanks! I've actully seen these results more than a few times while I was conducting my research of Rosanelli. I agree with you that this patient is close to my condition. Also, this looks similar to the work that Rosanelli has planned for me, so hopefully he can get me those kind of results too. March 31 can't come soon enough!

You will likely end up with a few more grafts than the estimate. Most doctors end up going over a bit because donor extraction isn't an exact science.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

• 2 weeks later...

My deposit has been paid and I have an appointment on march 31st. wish me luck! btw... though my deposit was just paid i've been on an emotional rollercoaster for the past month and once and while still have my doubts about doing the procedure. has anyone else felt this way before they got their HT?

I would say 2500-3k grafts is about right. Your doc will probably want to go into that frontal island you have a bit to reinforce it. With your pattern I'd guess you will have some future loss so be aware you will likely need at least one more procedure. The rollercoaster ride you are on is perfectly normal and will continue. It's tough waiting for that hair to grow in. My one concern for a guy who shaves his head is that with strip surgery you should be aware that won't be an option anymore. But I have no regrets about my surgeries: I love having my hair back.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

• 3 weeks later...