FUE? Not balding, but want to lower hairline.

For my whole life, I’ve had an unusually high hairline that has always made me appear to be balding. This was particularly annoying in high school when I got teased for being a 15 year old with a receding hairline! I’m 25 now and still feel that sprucing up my hairline a little with a HT would boost my appearance and self-confidence. I realize that because of my young age there’s always a possibility that I could lose my hair later on and I would be stuck with less donor hair to work with.

I’m just looking to get some opinions from people. Everyone on my mother’s side of the family have full heads of hair. My father and his brother are very bald, but they started losing their hair around 19-20 years old. I feel like I dodged a bullet there because I’m 25 now and haven’t lost any hair. Is it logical to assume that I didn’t get the balding gene from my father because I would have already started losing hair around age 20?

Ideally, I would like to do FUE to fill in just the corners of my hairline (see my profile photo). I’m hoping it would be a small job around or under 1000 grafts.

Here's a bigger version of my picture : http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d93/DanMo885/DSC00244.jpg

Edited by DannyMo
add picture

It is too early to determine that you have dodged the hair loss gene from your family, you are only 25, people regularly start thinning at older ages. After looking at your photos, it seems that bringing your hairline much lower would be as you said, risky as you may go on to lose more hair in the future and you would have used a major chunk of your donor for this hairline treatment. I would see a recommended surgeon from this site about treatment and start using propecia or rogaine to help retain as much of your hair as possible. After taking the medication for about 6-12 months you can get re-evaluated by the doctor and then consider having a treatment to the hairline and corners.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am no expert but if you were willing to get on propecia for life I do not see a problem with beefing up your temporal recession. As stated, you are pretty young and have not dodged the bullet yet. You do seem to have a mature hairline and may have lost some hair in the temples. Life is pretty short...I don't really see you being super bald....but you may need more treatment later in life. I don't think that filling in the temples would make or break your future treatment, but I would not actually lower the hairline. a 2 cm drop of the hairline will cost you about 2000 grafts....but you could prolly do your temples in less than 1000 and it would improve your appearance if it took. Just my opinion.....good luck.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I had a friend that at 28 years old didnt lose a single hair. I remember going with him to get his haircut and they had to thin his hair out it was too thick. At 35 he was a full NW5. Another friend got married at 35 and was full of hair at 45 he is now completely bald although it may be his wife causing it. . If somebody told me at 25 I was going to lose my hair I wouldnt believe him.

Hopefully you will be ok but you are not safe yet.

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

I had a friend that at 28 years old didnt lose a single hair. I remember going with him to get his haircut and they had to thin his hair out it was too thick. At 35 he was a full NW5. Another friend got married at 35 and was full of hair at 45 he is now completely bald although it may be his wife causing it. . If somebody told me at 25 I was going to lose my hair I wouldnt believe him.

Hopefully you will be ok but you are not safe yet.

I guess there are so many factors to look at. Could be stress? Could be diet? Could be lack of sleep? What can trigger this? It just amazes me how some people that have no hairloss whatsoever, end up norwood 5's 10-15 years later, even if they have no loss at age 25-30.

But If the person has been thinning since age 20-21 and losing hair, then I guess it is easier to determine the rate of baldness and thinning and how it will progress into the future. But surprise balding, may really cause a problem if there is family history of the condition.

Regarding hairlines, does anyone really know how low can you really go? What is the lowest hairline ever performed on a patient? Is there a record? I am trying to search for cases that have had substantial hairline lowering on these forums. I have seen some but I'd like to see more cases with hairline lowering. I know some doctors have achieved miracles on people that did not even have a hairline, but it took 7,000 grafts or more to do their whole scalp if they were norwood 5 and beyond. Probably and most likely cost a fortune too. Some people got away with hairline lowering and framing with as little as 1500 grafts.