Advice from top quality system wearers

norwoodsman

• Moderators

I wore a hair system for 7 months and could not stand it. I felt better being bald than I did constantly wondering if someone could tell I had a hair system. At work I kept going to the men's room to check if I could tell or not. It was horrible.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Behappy, yes my sentiments exactly. I would be constantly worrying. However, nowdays i just wear it out during weekends when i am alone with my wife. It still feels good looking into that mirror but the pain is doubled when its removed at night... back to reality...

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

It takes a bit of time to get used to wearing a hair system. EVERYBODY is nervous early on - I remember that I looked in every mirror I passed to make sure my system looked right. That lasted for about 2 months, but once I found a good supplier, a good stylist and got comfortable with attaching and removing, I learned to enjoy having hair again.

I wear a hair system and it comes with pros and cons. I have had one for about a year now. It looks great and it boosts my confidence but i am still nervous people will find out.

When i first started to wear one i was doing a full bond. I found this to get very itchy after about 4 days and it would drive me nuts. My hair clinic told me that the bond would last 4 weeks. This was true,the glue would hold that long but my head was so itchy after one week that it was not working. After a 2 months my head was rejecting the bonding. I had red sores on my scalp and it just plain hurt. I had to go 2 weeks with no System at all so my head would heal. I am lucky enough to be able to wear a hat to work and no one even noticed. I was definitely scared that my hat would fall off and my balding head would be known to all but i was lucky and nothing happned.

After this i started to use tape. I would do a perimeter bond with it. With the tape i have been having sucess but i never can hit the 2-3 week mark with it on. The great thing with the tape is that if my system gets too itchy i can take it off myself. To rebond i will use some perma rite glue on the tape to make it sticky again. Sometimes i make it a week sometimes 2 days before i have to take it off. So all in all its alot of maintenance but i am happy with the result so i don't mind.

I am a very active person so i tend to sweet alot. I go to the gym, i play live music and i work a physical job. My system has never fallen off. At work i still wear my hat. In doing this if i ever have to go without the system again no one would be the wiser. I like my hair system but for me this is not going to be my final solution. I am looking into HT's. Woot my first post was a long one, i hope it does not bore to many :) .

Edited by Jer27

• 2 months later...

Thank everyone for contributing your honest experience here ,it really has helped me allot, however I am still on the lookout of the best non surgical or the most realistic Wig that has minimum maintenance and looks the part.

:)

If i ever wear something then it would like it to be like the pictures attached. This man look great in all shoot I believe its Wig ,Does anyone know where i can get a such wig/system ?

Again I was considering a wig cos you don't have to shave your head or mess around with all those Glues.

I am sure there must great low maintenance wig out there that look realistic ? Most the one you see on the WEB are way too thick and don't have correct density for realism. I believe that these wigs also use the tape method of attachment and at least are easy to clean and mount on to your head.

Thanks

Amitabh.jpg.7f605bafd084b2ef24da0c5579cec972.jpg

amitabh2.jpg.f53ed857ef28153c26ea97ae3ac11175.jpg

Edited by Dantheman

• 1 month later...

If you're going to wear a wig...

Here's my two cents on having them look as natural as possible:

1) Especially if you're not ready to shave your head and bond it to your scalp, get a black sista to hook you up, white brothas! I'M SERIOUS!!! I've worked in film, television, and theater, and there are a lot of African American hairstylists that do handmade wigs for under $1,000 -- under $500 if the hair used is 8 inches long or shorter. Also, when choosing a density, choose light. Don't even choose medium density. Choose light. Don't choose light-medium. Choose light. You can even order online!

2) Get a blend of colors. Your hair is not all one color -- even if you think it is. It isn't. Even if you think you have black hair (1b), get a blend of black (1b) and darkest brown (2).

3) Your hair isn't as dark as you think it is. Really. If you think your hair is dark brown, it's probably medium brown. If you think it's medium brown, it's probably light brown. Choose a shade lighter than you think your hair looks and then have it blended with another shade lighter.

4) Wear it longer--not necessarily long, but of good length (I'd say at least four inches long). This helps a LOT. If you're willing to embrace a little length -- especially if you go with a straighter texture, it won't look nearly as bad as quickly. Also, the more hip your style (e.g., longer bangs, height at the crown, shaggy layers...those sorts of things), the easier it'll be for you to get away with it.

5) It will fade if exposed to a lot of sunlight, and that can make it look bad if it's a medium to darker brunette shade. (Conversely, if you're a blond, you may actually like it a bit more after fading.) If the wig is still in good condition, you can have it toned. Take it to a professional and have them apply an ash toner at the same level to get rid of the faded brassy, red tones.

6) GYM AND WORKING OUT: Be funky. Seriously. Wear a bandana or sweat band around the hairline...or even like Brett Michaels. I don't wear wigs (except for a couple of instances when I was in shows), but I have some girlfriends who do (and one guy friend). This works for them.

I'm not talking necessarily about a full on "hair system" like you'd get from Hair Club for Men or something. I'm talking about lace front (and full lace) wigs that celebrities wear and that are used in film and theater. You don't have to shave your head for those. Thin Skin is another option. You do glue or tape down the hairline, but because it's only the hairline, you don't have to shave your head and bond it to your scalp. Like I said, if you're not ready to shave, just get a custom, lace front or full lace wig. You glue or tape down at the hairline, and if you're worried about extra security, they often come with clips that will clip into your existing hair (or you can have them sewn in) at undetectable areas NOT at the hairline.

Steps 2 - 6 can be used as advice for hair systems as well, though.

thanks for the reply....so you are saying it only needs to be glued on the front,,what bout the sides and back...how will that stay in place? You would also need to shave some area of the head to put the glue right?

No, you shave NOTHING. I repeat...NOTHING for a lace wig. N-O-T-H-I-N-G. No shaving. NO SHAVING. The lace is glued or taped down at the hairline. THAT'S ALL. That holds it in place. They can be glued/taped down around the entire perimenter, but you DO NOT SHAVE. I'm talking about wigs like you see in film/television. Trust me, these stars are NOT SHAVING their heads. Some don't even glue/tape the hairline down. They just use pins. (This, of course, requires that you have hair at your hairline. Otherwise, you have to tape or glue.) Look at (Link removed by moderator). However, as i said before, a lot of African American salons make the same quality wigs for much, much cheaper.

Edited by TakingThePlunge

Geez, you guys are so negative! A few comments:

1. Attachment, removal & cleaning take a total of about 30 minutes each week.

2. I am almost never aware that I am wearing my hair system.

3. Traction Alopecia has not been an issue at all.

4. Most people who don't like hair systems never took the time to:

a. Get used to wearing it (takes about 4 - 6 weeks)

b. Learn about different attachment methods and products.

5. It took me a while to find the right on-line seller, but once I did, attachment became simpler, the system looked more natural, etc.

6. Early on, I was constantly looking in every mirror I came across to make

sure it looked right. I got over that in about a month.

7. Like most things, there is a learning curve.

8. I look a LOT younger with hair.

9. You will start feeling more confident about your appearance after a couple of months, so you just need to get over the (natural) insecurity that occurs early on.

10. You have to be willing to deal with good-natured joking from friends and also very earnest comments from people who try to reassure you that you look great without hair and that you don't need it - or who say you looked better without it.

11. You have to wear hair because YOU want to - not to cure your insecurity about your baldness or to impress others or to meet more women. Those things will probably happen, but your main reason for wearing has to be that you like the way you look with hair - period.

12. The best hair systems are totally (I mean it!) undetectable. Forget the nightmare stories - there are a lot of crappy hair systems and unethical sellers out there. When you find the right supplier and a good stylist, you're gonna love the way you look.

I couldn't have put it better myself!

There are far,far more benifits to wearing than not having any hair and it really is as easy to achieve and maintain than a lot of people realise.

Just make sure you get a good supplier, your specs right and a good stylist and everything else takes care of itself with very little effort.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a hair system a few days back. This is not glued or taped all over but just in the front (just above the forehead). On the behind and sides it has clips which are attached to my existing hair. Its convenient to have it taken off.

However, I am experiencing a lot of heaviness beacuse of the system. It feels as though there is a lot of weight put on my head. Further, the area where the clips are places pains - sometimes it feels as though the clips are harming the scalp and sometimes it feels that the clip is pulling the existing hair to increase the pain. I dont know what exactly it is.

I read some articles that said that the existing hair needs to be strong and long... how long??? What can i do to ensure that the hair remains strong? How frequently is it advisable to have it taken off? How frequently is the system to be washed? How frequently does the scalp need to be washed?

Finally I hope and pray this heaviness and pain (particluarly during sleep) is temporary and I get used to. Otherwise... remedies?

i hav heard using clip attachment causes hair loss where the clip is attached to ur hair..............

is der any hair system user from india in this forum????

also has ne1 heard about elite hair studio,,,dey say dat dey r part of transition group which claims to b leader in hair system

also i would like to kno d pricing and durability(personal experience not wat d company claims)

thnx

i hav heard using clip attachment causes hair loss where the clip is attached to ur hair..............

is der any hair system user from india in this forum????

also has ne1 heard about elite hair studio,,,dey say dat dey r part of transition group which claims to b leader in hair system

also i would like to kno d pricing and durability(personal experience not wat d company claims)

thnx

I'm from India.. did my clip attachment from Berkowits 1 week back.. will be able to share experience later only.

Geez, you guys are so negative! A few comments:

1. Attachment, removal & cleaning take a total of about 30 minutes each week.

2. I am almost never aware that I am wearing my hair system.

3. Traction Alopecia has not been an issue at all.

4. Most people who don't like hair systems never took the time to:

a. Get used to wearing it (takes about 4 - 6 weeks)

b. Learn about different attachment methods and products.

5. It took me a while to find the right on-line seller, but once I did, attachment became simpler, the system looked more natural, etc.

6. Early on, I was constantly looking in every mirror I came across to make

sure it looked right. I got over that in about a month.

7. Like most things, there is a learning curve.

8. I look a LOT younger with hair.

9. You will start feeling more confident about your appearance after a couple of months, so you just need to get over the (natural) insecurity that occurs early on.

10. You have to be willing to deal with good-natured joking from friends and also very earnest comments from people who try to reassure you that you look great without hair and that you don't need it - or who say you looked better without it.

11. You have to wear hair because YOU want to - not to cure your insecurity about your baldness or to impress others or to meet more women. Those things will probably happen, but your main reason for wearing has to be that you like the way you look with hair - period.

12. The best hair systems are totally (I mean it!) undetectable. Forget the nightmare stories - there are a lot of crappy hair systems and unethical sellers out there. When you find the right supplier and a good stylist, you're gonna love the way you look.

I have to agree with beemark in most points.

My hair loss affected me so muc and I knew I had to do something. But there is the stigma of the toupee. And I never wanted a dead rat on my head. I researched a lot. I am realy happy with the results. When I started losing my hair I wore hats most of the time. So when I first used a hair system a lot of people didn't even realize that I had lost my hair. Some comments were that I looked so relaxed:)

Noone ever detected it.

BEEMARK's first point (attachment, etc.) doesn't apply to me as I use total cover plus and I don't have to do any of that. I only go there every 5,6 or7 weeks and get new hair and it stays on my head until my next appointment and to answer DANTHEMAN's question - with my system there is as much maintenance to do as with normal hair. I wash my hair(inlcuding the system) normally in the mronings and take a bath whenever I want. I play football once a week. Total Cover Plus makes my life easy. I never used anything else, so I can't say so much about other methods. But as Norwoodsman wanted advice from top quality system wearers I can only advice you to go for what I have. It's all I could ask for.

chokhs .......;..

did u enquire at some othr place. n y did u go 4 clips ne particular reasons for dat........??? are u frm mumbai ???

pokerboi, Yes I am from Mumbai.

I chose clips over other methods coz I am at will to remove it (when alone) whenever there is discomfort... in the other hair attachments/system - you have to live with the discomfort/pain if any... and its an easy way to undo...

I did not go to too many places for enquiries.. Just a few. I chose Berkovits for the brand name - and close proximity to my place incase of any prob....

They charged 20K.