How I CAN be sure FUE OR FUT

Hello to all my name is AVI age 25 and I really want to do a transplant of hair

told me already several doctors that I need approximately 1800 follicles now the big question beyond the choice of the doctor.In which method is worthwhile me to choose? And who the best in the same method?

Roa,

I personally think it's important to realize that each patient's situation is unique. You may be a good candidate for follicular unit extraction (FUE) and could undergo a successful session of 1800 grafts. However, this could also be a bit excessive and may be better accomplished with a follicular unit transplantation (FUT) procedure.

As vague as this sounds, I'm simply trying to convey the fact that there are different levels of candidacy for FUE, and you may or may not be right for this surgery. In my opinion, we are not quite at a point where you can simply calculate how many grafts you need, select FUE or FUT, and undergo that procedure. At 1800 grafts, it's likely that FUT is a better option, but there are two important things to keep in mind: first, this type of assessment should be made as a collaborative effort between you and an ethical, professional hair transplant surgeon; second, without some detailed information (and probably photographs) it will be hard for the community to make an assessment and simply say FUE or FUT.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

FUT will only cost you 40-50 percent of FUE. And you have to consider future loss also. At 25 you are far from an established hair loss pattern.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

At 25, needing an HT, you are a perfect candidate for thinking, I will go cheap and save myself lots of money and get good growth with a strip. By the way, FUT is a nice acronym for strip, all FUE are FUT by definition, they can't be anything else, but FUT sounds better than 'strip', and it makes the FUE/FUT symmetry discussion sound 'balanced'.

If you are 25 needing an HT, and get strip, then you have to look deep at drugs and religion, because when you are older you will care about your appearance and you will hope that the drugs work. I avoided propecia for ten years and in the last few years I found out I have no sides that are negative whatsoever, but I don't know how long that will last because hormones change as we age. My face is much less oily these days - age? propecia? I don't know.

I suggest a good FUE surgeon and if they talk you into strip then, well, congratulations, welcome to the club. FUE grafts don't do as well, that is the ones that get planted in your head, but plenty of grafts go into the bin through strip too. A 60cm (30cm final seam) cut will lose you many hairs per cm of cut, and then you have 10% of the entire stock of grafts within the strip in 'resting phase' and therefore also in the bin because they are invisible to the cutters. FUE grafts get squashed and butchered too and many are weaker by the time they regrow.

Fear mongers and broken records aside, if you are balding at 25, why make an ear-to-ear scar? FUE can get 4000 grafts these days, but you have to stagger i over many days. remember that strip over 2000 grafts was considered irresponsible 10-15 years ago. You don't need that much, so why not get a series of small FUE operations staggered over many years. That way you can assess the drugs year to year, and and plan accordingly, all the while knowing you can retreat to a short cut.

oh well... there we go again!

Roa, i can assure u that u will get differing opinions like the ones u read above. My suggestion is, do approach as many surgeons ( recommended on this list of cos ) and get a good opinion than them. Ultimately they have personally cut strips, extract FUE grafts. Who better to trust than those who have been there done that? Theories are ultimately theories. If most surgeons say u are suitable for FUE, then congratulations. However.. if they feel that u are most probably a candidate for FUT? What gives? Will u still deny the odds and go for FUE even though the surgeons do not agree? Get some info through this forum, but sometimes too much advice from forum members can do u more harm than good. Hence i suggest that u meet a few surgeons and get some opinions IMHO :)

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

Alvi,

Welcome to our forum community. I've talked to dozens of hair restoration physicians over the years and each of them have their own ideas, philsophies and ideas about which technique and procedure is best.

Rather than get into a debate about FUT verses FUE, I encourage you to do as much reading as possible about these procedures. Each procedure comes with their own distinct set of benefits, limitations and potential problems and ultimately, the more you know, the more educated your decision will be.

No matter what, I encourage you to select a physician who has a proven record of excellent results and takes the time to discuss and strategically plan a long term hair restoration plan for you - one that considers the risks of future hair loss and helps you create realistic expectations.

Best wishes,

Bill

I echo Bill's words. Bottom line is, u r gonna get a lot of differing opinions when it comes to FUE vs FUT. Some people absolute hates FUT and as a new member, i am afraid u might get sucked into the hype of FUE without realizing the actual limitations. Hence, like Bill said, get as much info on the 2 procedures and discuss with a few reknowned surgeons to get opinions from them

Good luck!

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

I echo Bill's words. Bottom line is, u r gonna get a lot of differing opinions when it comes to FUE vs FUT. Some people absolute hates FUT and as a new member, i am afraid u might get sucked into the hype of FUE without realizing the actual limitations. Hence, like Bill said, get as much info on the 2 procedures and discuss with a few reknowned surgeons to get opinions from them

Good luck!

Not that it is a debate, and not being smart, but this would be a good place to actually list, or site reference to the "hype of FUE."

I personally would like to know as I am seriously considering an FUE.

There must be some facts as to the difference in yield of these procedures.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

yes definitely. both procedures have their differences and of cos benefits and cons. Its just that some members might overhype some data but as long as u feel u can decipher it well enough, then i am sure u will have no problem.

There are tons of threads with differing opinions on both procedures. Do go through thoroughly my friend. best of luck!

Not that it is a debate, and not being smart, but this would be a good place to actually list, or site reference to the "hype of FUE."

Three great records, thought I could get'em on itunes.

1) "Oh the the HYPE! the hype!! The hype of FUE!!"

The song was first released in the early '90s but it still the DJs still give it a good spin. Has been re-released in several versions. I personally, like the one by 'Tricophytic Closure' but my favorite comes from the "calm measured tones of a doctor" . Good to sing while having the staples put in

2) "Uh NO! Not Again!!! Another FUE - strip (FUT) debate!!"

Great chorus, "We've been here before, why do we have to hear more"

"Case by case of course, aint no good beatin' a a dead horse!"

This is a good tune for whiting out the fact that FUE is getting more popular and widespread

3) The Stats Record

Funny title that. Just the stats record - sounds lame. But it's almost impossible to buy. So if you are into rarities, this is a goodin'

There was talk the clinics didn't want to appear on it.

If you know where to get it, let me know

:) Ever notice that the smiley is bald?

However, the other record that occasionally gets on the list is a great little tune called, "What exactly are the stats to back this up?" Few doctors like to be on this record. Bisanga says both procedures yield the same. Feller says that's rubbish. Then we have the axis of evil, a group of competitive doctors who