Help unsure what to do? (new picture)

Hi

ive been reading this forum for a few weeks. ive been losing my hair since i was 18 and am now 22 and starting to notice its going thin on top too. i was thinking of a transplant either in manchester or new york when i manage to save up. Does anyone hav any suggestions. ive read a few people who are young regret having them :S

thanks

IMGP0504.thumb.jpg.71f428a9e97fbbe05f59eca59806d84c.jpg

Well I'm no expert but I suspect if you do it at a early age it's hard to really tell how much your really gonna lose say when your 32-26? I would suggest Hasson and Wong in Vancouver! I just had work done there on 11/4/09 compared to my last session in Tulsa. In terms of comparison they are the Ferrari of HT compared to a hyundai. Please go to a top HT Doc or your gonna regret it..and then they will probably get you on proscar to keep the rest of your natural hair.

Hey man,

You've come to the right place, above all else, and it is good that you are going about things cautiously.

You indeed do seem to have MPB, and I would do a consultation with a local doctor/dermatologist ASAP to inquire into getting on finasteride (aka propecia/proscar). It is based off but one picture, but in my estimation you could be an excellent candidate for fin and it could be a huge positive, particularly if you decide at some point to get a HT.

I would do the following:

-- see a derm/get on finasteride

-- do a consultation live with Dr's Farjo who are in England

-- do an online consultation with a Coalition doctor

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Steve, it does seem that you can benefit from a HT in a few years' time. If you're thinking of doing it in New York, Feller is a good option. There are other reputed doctors in the New York area as well. Search around on this forum, and then send your pictures to the clinics that you like the most.

Good luck!

Hi Steve, I think at 22 with your level of loss and such deep temple recession, your not a candidate for a HT at this time.

I think you probably have the perfect look for yourself with the short buzz cut.

You should wait until your 27-28 and see if you loss progresses. Should you stay relatively the same, I would say 2000-2500 grafts, FUE, to rebuild the frontal forelock only and then go back with some density (ala Phil Collins forelock like you have now)

I think it is wise to get some recommendations, but overall, you should try propecia and minox and see what happens there first.

Good Luck!!!

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Thanks for your responses icon_smile.gif

im going to see my doctor this week and hopefully start on something to help keep what i have got. Just abit worried after reading bad reports on tablet side effects. Is propecia available on prescription in the UK?

Thanks

IMGP0502a.thumb.jpg.fb982d3b3bc61c54a023d637bc9292e4.jpg

Hey Steve514,

I agree with the B Spot. I don't feel that with your level of loss and

your age that a transplant would be the right way forward at this point.

As the others have said, your first form of attack should be Finasteride

(Propecia) and/or Minoxidil (Rogaine) - hopefully you will respond well

to one or both of these products and re-grow some hair. Failing that,

there's a very good chance of them slowing or preventing further loss.

Rogaine in the UK can be found in most pharmacies and you'll want the 5%

version which is only available from behind the counter. Here in the UK

it is called Regaine and not Rogaine - I'd recommend you give the

pharmacies a miss as Regaine here is very over-priced (??35+) a month, at least

it was when I last checked.

On E-bay you can get 1 year's supply of Rogaine *FOAM* for under ??100.

The foam is FAR more convenient to apply, drying in around 10-20

minutes. The lotion can be very greasy and take hours to dry.

Your GP can give you a prescription for Propecia, but this would be a

private prescription and is not covered by the NHS. Again, going down

this route is very expensive - in excess of ??40 per month.

There is a member on this site called Spex, he has a doctor contact who

will prescribe Proscar, 3 packs - a year's supply for ??120 (It is highly

unlikely your own GP will give you a prescription for Proscar as to do

so would be off-licence). Even if they did this, it would not be covered

by the NHS and would be charged at the full cost.

Proscar contains Finasteride the same active ingredient as Propecia.

Proscar contains 5mg of Finasteride where as Propecia only contains 1mg.

Most people (including myself) buy Proscar and cut it into 4 pieces

giving you roughly 1.25mg per piece at a greatly reduced cost, around ??10 a month

compared to the ??40+.

You can also get Proscar online for around the same price of ??40 for a

pack which will last you around 4 months.

As thanatopsis_awry said, I'd also recommend you visit the Farjo Medical Center which is in

Manchester. At the very least they can confirm your situation and

monitor your loss, they also used to sell Proscar - however, I expect

the cost would be greater than the options I have mentioned above.

Whatever you do, if you decide to visit another clinic in the UK ??“

please visit the forum to check opinions on the clinic first. Some

clinics may promise you the world, and results rarely reflect that ??“

but we discuss all clinics here, good and bad. In my opinion most UK clinics should be avoided.

Sorry for the long post, lol, but it should get you on your way.

ive been to my doctor this morning and luckily he was interested unlike others. i mentioned propecia and proscar and he said proscar is nhs approved so he may be able to prescribe it with regaine. Hes going to look into for me and get back in touch so fingers crossed icon_smile.gif

Proscar is NHS approved but not for hairloss. Even if he gave you a private prescription for Proscar, it would be off-licence. It's great if he does though I very much doubt he will. If he does he's made a mistake.

P.S. You don't need a a prescription for Regaine - Regaine also isn't covered by the NHS.

IMO-

Too young for surgery at this time-

Get on finasteride, which should be quite well tolerated at your age, and go with that for now.

Rogaine will work synergistically with finasteride (1 + 1 = 3....), so that would be of use as well.

Timothy Carman, MD ABHRS

President, (ABHRS)
ABHRS Board of Directors

Steve, as another guy who Spex has so kindly "hooked up" with his aformentioned GP. I would highly recommend using this route for purchasing Proscar. Online pharmacies carry no guarentee, and most are shipped from India which can also carry extra fees upon arrival. Many online pharmacies products are not the genuine thing!

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

thanks raphael84

i am considering both options, i was hoping to get a smaler amount to start with just a few months supply with money being tight atm. the doctor spex recommended does i think 18 months in one (roughly) i dont have the money for that until after christmas but realy want to get started.

steve

Steve514,

I use UnitedPharmacies all the time and have built up a good discount over the years so continue to use them. If I was you, I'd go with Spex's doctor contact (I almost did recently, but my order came just in time).

If you decide to use UnitedPharmacies, I'd recommend using www.unitedpharmacies.com rather than .co.uk. The two sites are run as different companies and I have heard the .co.uk site is very slow to respond.

Bear in mind, even with the .com site you will still be looking at 2 to 3 weeks during normal season, however, at this time of year it will take you directly into the christmas mail nightmare so it will probably take longer.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks spex for giving my dr ashcrofts number, i was a little reluntant to send money to someone i didnt know but i got in touch, had a good chat, very informative and professional and i recieved my tablets this morning a 5 month supply. Only took a couple of days after i sent payment.

Steve