Botox for hair loss???

Scorpian

Botox may cure hair loss?"

Balding men may be offered a cure for their thinning heads ??” injections of Botox.

The toxic chemicals are generally used to smooth out wrinkles, but doctors have discovered it can regrow hair too.

The treatment was discovered by accident ??” Dr. Simon Ourian in Beverly Hills, Calif., was trying to cure his mother's headaches. Botox is used off-label to treat migraines, and Ourian's mother, a cancer victim, was going through chemotherapy.

After injecting Botox into her scalp, Ourian was stunned to see his mother's hair regrow. Botox dilates the blood vessels, which allows nutrients into the hair shaft and stimulates new growth.

Ourian tested his theory on volunteers for three years, and although the treatment needs repeated injections, he has a "dramatic" difference.

"I was happily surprised," Ourian said. "As hair loss is a significant source of insecurity, there was no shortage of volunteers." "

hmmm so you're sayin that, pretty soon, i can try and bag a cougar when i'm gettin my hair fixed?

my reg is:

propecia 1mg EVERYDAY

minox 5% twice daily (f the foam)

nizoral 1%

say la V old buddies .... i'm tryin to keep you

This needs investigation.

In the mean time:

"Botox has been observed to reduce hair growth on the face and armpits when used for treatments in these areas. There is nothing in medical literature on Botox and hair growth except one letter to the editor in the journal of Dermatologic Surgery in 2007, titled Folliculitis Responds to Botulinum Toxin: Is it Possible? That article discussed how Botox used to treat scalp folliculitis led to some restored hair growth. That's it! "

http://www.rejuvalife.md/blog/post/1/1054

take care...

I have been REGULARLY treating patients and myself with botox for facial wrinkles for 14 years. It hasn't helped a single patient regarding hairloss. Now, I would guess that 80% of my botox patients are female; but the remaining 20% are men with all classes of hair loss.

Botox is injected into the muscle. It does not migrate out of the injection site.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

patients and myself with botox for facial wrinkles for 14 years. It hasn't helped a single patient regarding hairloss. Now, I would guess that 80% of my botox patients are female; but the remaining 20% are men with all classes of hair loss.

Botox is injected into the muscle. It does not migrate out of the injection site.

With respect I believe the injection must be in the scalp (balding area)...that could be why dr. Lindsey has not observed any positive effects. Not sure about whether it helps MPB but its sounds promising for alopecia areata....

Blond.

-----------------------------

PhD (Experimental and Clinical medicine)

1.25mg Finasteride

Minoxidil 5% (EOD)

Nizoral 1% (x3/week)

The beauty of botox is that it goes ONLY where you inject it. If it didn't it might go to the heart or brain and paralyze something more important than a wrinkle muscle. SO even if it works for hairloss, which I doubt(but am open to scientific investigation on it) I would guess you would have to inject every few millimeters around the scalp to get any medicine to all that area. And botox is not cheap. At $525.00/bottle in the US, by the time you start to factor in expenses and profits, it will make PRP look cheap.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

The botox rep who just stopped by the office claimed no knowledge of botox helping hairloss.

I'd be interested if any of the docs have any knowledge of this being studied.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

McLean, VA

This article like many other are fine and dandy, however if this doc claims he has been using it for 3 years.. Surely he has taken a couple of before and after pics?

is there ANY visual evidence whatsoever?

If not I claim bs

First transplant with karamikian 6/05, less than 1000 to my hairline, result was mediocre at best.

2nd HT with Feller 2/08, 3000+ to my front third.