Dr Umar Procedure 4000 grafts FUE Nape Hair

secondtime

I had a strip surgery in 1997 13 years ago. At the time I was 25 y old. I think I had 1500 grafts done (some larger than others). The end result was ok for the number of grafts.

Few things were not ok: they forgot 2-3 patches about 1 cm or that the hairs didnt grow there.

THe hairs were not close enough to each other.

The hairline is acceptable

The redness persisted 6m-1y.

I kept on growing hair up to 1-2 years later.

The scar was WIDE and smiled assymetrically more on one side than other, my hair can not be crew cut, it has to be a little longer or else the scar shows.

I am planning to do 4000 grafts with DR UMAR in LA. I emailed him about 12 times, I liked how he answered all of them personally so far. I am planning to meet him this week (Sep 8, 2010). My surgery is planned for 3 days in early October.

I am worried but I think I will be ok.

Also he will do a few chin grafts to cover the scar in case I wanted to have crew cuts.

Does anyone think that Dr Umar is a bad doctor please let me know ASAP, at least before I pay on Friday!

Thanks

Edited by secondtime
fue

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you seen his videos on youtube? He has restored cases severely scarred by surgeries and has done it successfully. I personally think he is a decent doctor. He is known to be very successful with body hair transplantation as well. Others have gone to him, and their results are not bad at all. I can't say anything negative about the guy. His price is decent and his work is great. I guess if you are around the California area it would be convenient. There are many doctors you can go to that are about as good, but if you took interest in Dr. Umar initially, I wouldn't worry and he's a good choice. He's proven it by his videos and pics what he is capable of.

hello secondtime,i concur completely with sean and frankie dr umar would most likely be my choice if i was wanting bht due to several results i have seen,i would definately trust my noggin with dr umar,all the best and have a nice day......

I was always under the assumption that neck hair was susceptible to thinning?

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

RCWest, if you mean nape hair then it all depends on the person and how much they have. From what I have seen and read, nape hair creates a more softer hairline, probably helps conserve more donor hair for later procedures as well. I think it's a smart choice but at the same time, there are reports that it can fall off or thin, but how long does it take to fall off? Some say never, some say when your like 60 or so years and years away from the time you had the procedure done.

The way I see it, when I go for a haircut, they remove my nape hair with a straight edge razor anyway to create a better fade in the back, and to round the edges. But if it comes in handy to create a softer fuller hairline, and helps conserve donor hairs for later use then i don't see it as a negative thing.

And from what I have read about beard hairs, they are better than body hairs to be used for scalp. Once transplanted all these hairs grow, but it's the type and quality that may affect the transplant. It's also where they are positioned and put on the scalp and if they are mixed with native hairs that creates a better result. I think doctors that use BHT mix up the hairs to create a result that is acceptable. I don't think they put beard hair all in one region and then body hair in one, it's more of a mix so it can create a more natural look.

I think fue clinics should specialize in body hair implantation as well and master it, because for those with higher norwood, it may be create an excellent transplant. A lot of us have tons of body hair, and hey if it's on my scalp growing then i want it, esp if you keep short hair, then I don't mind it.

I have seen some serious repair cases by Dr. Umer utilizing just body hair and I am very impressed. There is one mega case I saw a video of, where the guy had tons of scars and scalp was basically deformed due to prior surgeries, but after body hair , he had well placed hairs creating a youthful hairline, you couldn't tell that was the same person, it was that good.Temples, hairline lowered, everything, and the repair all finished, and Dr. Umer managed it.

I personally think he's a great doc from everything I have seen. The reviews I have read, and what I have heard from other people. Hey, If the doc can help someone with serious scalp scarring, deformed hairs, and what not, then he is ok in my book.

Sean,

While you've written quite a detailed and thoughtful response, keep in mind that nape hair is not as resistant to dihydrotestosterone (DHT - the hormone that directly causes hair loss) as hair taken from the universal extraction zone and is susceptible to future loss.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Sean,

While you've written quite a detailed and thoughtful response, keep in mind that nape hair is not as resistant to dihydrotestosterone (DHT - the hormone that directly causes hair loss) as hair taken from the universal extraction zone and is susceptible to future loss.

Blake thank you, I have read that "hair on nape and ear do not shed, as they do not contain 5 alpha reductas activators". But I definitely would not consider nape hairs for the crown as they might not be resistant to DHT like you said. Also, they are thinner in texture more preferably to maybe soften the hairline. From what people have written and said that they could fall off years and years later or don't fall off at all? If they do fall years later and FUE was done, the person can get a transplant using the real donor hairs or it may buy them time? Right now I may be losing hair in the front and somewhat the crown, but my nape hairs are still full and really sprouting like crazy on the back of my neck. They also appear to grow within a week after I have em shaved off to create a nice fade. They grow quick. I don't know if it is like that for everyone but that's what confuses me, as they have outlasted my frontal hairs and crown hairs that have become susceptible to DHT.

Has anyone received nape hairs to their hairline? Can they comment? Tell us about it?

I guess it is up to the hair loss sufferer how they want it and what they want. Temporary fix, soften hairline, preserve some donor supply or what, I guess they can then make a decision. But I would imagine finer hairs like that would really create a very soft natural looking hairline.

Edited by Sean

Sean,

Where did you read that nape hairs "do not contain the 5-alpha-reductase enzymes?" I've personally never read any literature which claimed that the nape hair is less prone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT) activity and I'd love to review your source (it would be very interesting to study in further detail).

Like you said, nape hairs are used by certain hair transplant surgeons to soften the appearance of the frontal hairline. It's my own personal opinion that appropriate staggering (irregularities) of the frontal hairline with DHT resistant hairs (from the universal donor region) do the trick just as well.

Additionally, I believe there may be some nape hair cases presented somewhere on the forums, and you could probably locate this information using the forum search function. Also, keep in mind that any cases you may find will probably not tell the whole picture as, like you stated, it could take years for the nape hair to fall prey to progressive loss.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help with the nape hair discussion!

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

man in our family , our nape hair is overwhelming, in fact I had to have many laser sessions on my nape/and upper neck to remove them.

My dad is 73 y old and the first growth of hair for him happens in nape even at his age. My uncle however who is totally bald has some nape hair thinning. I have the same exact hairline, skin, hair, height, weight of my dad.

I think it all depends. I will post picture today of my nape area if I can take it.

I was kind of happy he suggested that because I have so much hair there that I keep cutting and removing , now my hair is short and still thick in this area (keep in my mind I had 5 laser hair removal sessions from my upper neck-lower nape) i wish I didnt.

Today's pics attached 9/4/10. Honestly I never have seen my hair like this. I thought it was much better. Luckily on mirror and in cam/videos normally it does not look like this.

I stood in front of light and took it from all angles, it looks so much worse than I thought.

You could see the "bad" transplant from 12 years ago.

I think the pics I sent Umar are not bad like this, I wonder if he would say that I need more than 4000 grafts when he will see me friday.

Just that you do not think I am an idiot I will upload one pic from this month as taken normally by normal cam

Just give me free comments I wont get mad or sad just say what you think 4000 will be good enough you think?

upload.jpg.807bf9e676c5e15bc548878e52331498.jpg

IMG_20100905_184929.jpg.72b99eba91be38115abf309d09791757.jpg

IMG_20100905_185019.jpg.f96277b5a290872184f4bc853252e82f.jpg

IMG_20100905_185739.jpg.5fca34df5211a6de9730ebf74aedd797.jpg

IMG_20100905_185829.jpg.a1a2555b4e9bef1d47f4a33b54eb2206.jpg

IMG_20100905_185909.jpg.83dcfc29b7cd31ce3ffccc6b58984100.jpg

IMG_20100905_190016.jpg.5c3a47a7158c639b0e3f6bec7abf397a.jpg

IMG_20100905_184943.jpg.8dd8a5bc0ff3c777535ea46b904ace3d.jpg

Dude - we can all take pics that look fu*$ing terrible & I'm glad u only have 4 weeks to deal with the last bad images of your melon. Think of it this way - you came to terms with what you have now and you are OK ! From here on in (apart from post surgery blues) it is onwards and upwards.

in 6-7 months from now you will look better than you have for years and it will be permanent. Even if you have a follow-up surgery it will never be where you are today again.

Crack a beer you are going to be fine my brother !

Sending you positive vibes all the way !

Sean,

Where did you read that nape hairs "do not contain the 5-alpha-reductase enzymes?" I've personally never read any literature which claimed that the nape hair is less prone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT) activity and I'd love to review your source (it would be very interesting to study in further detail).

Like you said, nape hairs are used by certain hair transplant surgeons to soften the appearance of the frontal hairline. It's my own personal opinion that appropriate staggering (irregularities) of the frontal hairline with DHT resistant hairs (from the universal donor region) do the trick just as well.

Additionally, I believe there may be some nape hair cases presented somewhere on the forums, and you could probably locate this information using the forum search function. Also, keep in mind that any cases you may find will probably not tell the whole picture as, like you stated, it could take years for the nape hair to fall prey to progressive loss.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help with the nape hair discussion!

Hi Blake, I just read it at a few sites and this one to mention

Mega Hair Trans | Reasons of Hair Shedding | Sa? Ekimi Fiyatlar?

I was reading through it and came across that statement. Can you check it out?

I am going to search for it on the forum for nape hair cases as you have suggested. Thanks.

From those pics, after seeing other results with 4000 grafts, I would think it would do the trick but that's up to the doctor to decide. But my opinion yes, I think it would be sufficient.

It's gonna look good, keep us posted. Good luck!

4000 grafts is pretty decent coverage as long as you have good donor density. Good luck! I know you can't wait. ;)

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Sean,

To me, it appears as if that page was written in another language and translated questionably into English. Although it doesn't necessarily affect scientific facts, I'm not sure that everything is expressed clearly (I saw a few odd facts, spelling issues, etc). I've personally never seen another article which states that nape hair is more resistant to DHT (dihydrotestosterone). If this was a well known fact, I think other clinics (especially ones that use nape hair), would quote these studies more frequently.

Hey guys, I am less than a week from my surgery with Dr. Umar. Getting 2500 grafts all in the temples and hairline. I am nervous as you know what. Iron Man, how do you feel things are coming along, can you give us some tips, I would really appreciate it, thanks bro. By the way, I am 29 nw 2

Sean,

To me, it appears as if that page was written in another language and translated questionably into English. Although it doesn't necessarily affect scientific facts, I'm not sure that everything is expressed clearly (I saw a few odd facts, spelling issues, etc). I've personally never seen another article which states that nape hair is more resistant to DHT (dihydrotestosterone). If this was a well known fact, I think other clinics (especially ones that use nape hair), would quote these studies more frequently.

Blake, you are right. The spelling is questionable but I don't know why they would write such a claim. Even I am confused now. I think they are a foreign clinic. It's like 50/50 for me. It could be either way, it could thin and shed later or remain. I just do not know the solid answer to it. I have looked at a couple results online in various places relating to nape hair, but no one really has complained yet of it's negative effects after their transplant. Or maybe not enough time has passed for it to show negative effects. However, I have read somewhere that 10% of people do go through a certain condition where their hair recedes from the front, as well as from the nape, at the same time. They might be more prone to it and probably should not use the nape at all. I forgot the name of the condition. I can't remember what it is called exactly. For nape hairs, maybe there are cases with complaints, I just do not know for sure yet.

But I hope secondtime has a great transplant and hopefully he wont need another transplant at another time. Secondtime, wish you good luck and really would like to see your progress after the transplant.

Thanks sean.

Hey by the way I met Dr Umar, I think he is a very nice doctor on a personal level.

I was told i need 4500 hair transplants to achieve the moderate density. He thinks I am a NW 5

( i thought I was a 3 but again I didnt know I was as bad as I was Till I saw the above pics).

I hope that my 3 day surgery works ok I am scheduled for the second week of October. I will let you know then

• 4 weeks later...

ok its me again. I had my surgery 3 sessions in a row each for a whole day. It was a good experience relative to the immensity and length of the procedure. I was allowed to eat all 3 days. I did not get nausea. The way it is set is nice on a penthouse on top of an athletic building in Redondo Beach Harbor.

I stayed at the Best Western Hotel. I am post day 1 (meaning ost op day 4 since I had three operations). So this is after everything is done. My threshold for pain is normally low to moderate. Did I complain yes!! My face is ALL swollen and I do have a blue eye on one side, the other side just a swollen eye. The swelling went down today as day passed from the frontal area to mid face area.

I have a mild fever of 100.5 since I am on antibiotics and following post op instructions religiously and since I dont feel septic or nauseated or any of those I am thinking its ok. I called the doctor he saw me right away and didnt comment on my temperature. I am a little scared about that more than the swelling.

I will try to take a few pics tonight of my postop state after 3 days of surgery (first day post all 3) not a pretty site!!!

As promised I will update with more pictures. I apologize for the quality of the pictures. I am too tired and too weak to do better. But at least you get an idea. 4500 grafts were placed mostly from my head (some even from my sideburn nape back of my head anywhere with high density) and a few from my beard you can see very well cause it hidden by the growing beard. basically you would see red dots.

HEY GUYS TELL ME what you think about low grade temp, swellling, how does it look. I wont be offended otherwise I wouldnt be here

TO COMPARE PICS LOOK HERE (PREOP)

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/157642-dr-umar-procedure-4000-grafts-fue-nape-hair-2.html#post2243743

Snapshot_20101009_6.jpg.e587bbae4385c6a30c6059a9c7c9b946.jpg

Snapshot_20101009_1.jpg.90d9ad5abde117624fbe493f84ab9f3e.jpg

Snapshot_20101009_2.jpg.ac779fd320dbab5e9aa214a974867e03.jpg

Snapshot_20101009_3.jpg.4aa1c929bb18271f6187319c589e3d00.jpg

Snapshot_20101009_4.jpg.20dbad6dd27804f24f3c17fb1e9e66e7.jpg

Snapshot_20101009_5.jpg.2fa7aaf3e4d1acf2c35eeb8675689c2b.jpg

Edited by secondtime
compare pics

I think you look pretty normal for just having a received a massive number of grafts. I don't think I've heard of an FUE session this large before. I would also note that as far as the swollen face, other patients of Umar's seem to have had similar swelling and their results turned out ok. If all that grows, you are going to look awesome. Any idea how much donor you have left. Any pics of the donor?

When I will go home I will post the donor areas. I am soooo sore right now and I dont have my cam I am in a hotel. BUT looking at it, it does not look that it has lost more than 30% of its potential. He took a lot from the internationally famous area but he also did take from sides, sideburns, significant proportion from the nape the parts I usually ask the hairdresser to cut and remove, he took from around the ears.

My fever is gone, My eye looks more blue today both of them but less swollen (2nd day posop) remind you that Ihad 1500 FUE per day for 3 days in a row so not all 4500 in one day.This might explain the amount of soreness I have which is a lot. The doctor was stingy on tylenol 3 I got a total of 10 (2 after first da, 2 after the second day and 6 after the third day). So I decided not to take them because this not worth one day of pain. I decided to tolerate the pain. I have taken 4/10 but stopped taking anything beyond regular tylenol. He gave me ultram but i didnt even have the energy to go buy them. We will see what grows, I am hoping for 50% I will be very happy