Hi everyone,

I had a HT surgery on Aug 3rd with Dr. Ron Shapiro. It was 1325 grafts. So far I think I have been healing well. I started propecia from a week ago and I removed the suture last tuesday. And I didn't experience any serious shedding or lossing of my hair.

But today after noon, when I saw my hair in mirror, my old hairs (not grafted ones), especially on my right side, are falling like... crazy in a way that never used to. I am very shocked because I have never experienced such huge hair loss in such a short period of time.

They just... fall off even though I didn't touch them, I guess I saw more than hundread hairs falling just today afternoon. As I remember it was fine until yesterday.

I am attaching a photo. It is very shocking because most of my hair on pretty large area on my right side are gone, as it can be seen from the photo. It is not where I grafted new hairs.

Can this be due to propecia? or is this shock loss? If this is shock loss, is it commong to loss this much hair on one day afternoon?

I am so worried and paniced now. I now even worry about getting another HT to cover those newly balded area. OMG..

Many thanks to your opinion and experience.

photo.JPG.1745e7bf2c972b822baa26d0d4c69da8.JPG

It's recommended that you start Propecia several weeks or months before getting a HT. Shock loss is one of the bad risks of getting a hair transplant. Propecia can help lower or prevent the risk.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

My understanding is that shock loss will eventually come back. But i may be wrong. Did you call Dr. Shapiro to discuss the same? Were your hair transplanted between the native hair and if so, did you have a lot of native hair. I know i was turned down by Dr. Bernstien just because of this reason as i had a significant amount of native hair..But dont panic, please call the doctor. He is top notch and will address your issues

My understanding is that shock loss will eventually come back. But i may be wrong. Did you call Dr. Shapiro to discuss the same? Were your hair transplanted between the native hair and if so, did you have a lot of native hair. I know i was turned down by Dr. Bernstien just because of this reason as i had a significant amount of native hair..But dont panic, please call the doctor. He is top notch and will address your issues

I just talked with Dr. Ron Shapiro on this. He says it's usually unlikely to have this much shockloss where I didn't get grafted hair, cause I didn't get new hairs where I am now losing my hair badly. So he suggests it might be one of rare cases called Alopecia Areata. It's the case where my immune system react to external stress(HT for my case) and attack my own hair. For that case, the doctor will prescibe me a medicine.

What is so wierd is, I am losing my hairs but it's not where I got my new hairs implanted, and it happened all of sudden so it was fine until yesterday but now the whole strip is almost gone.

I hope it will go well and oh my god, why does this happen to me? This seems to be very unusual case.

Info_Transplant,

It's my understanding that over 50% of alopecia areata patients regrow the shed hair, so my guess is that (with the prescribed medication) you will see significant regrowth. Additionally, keep in mind that Propecia can cause an initial shedding period (though that level of shedding seems rapid), and if you are suffering from shock loss, the hairs normally grow back within 3-4 months.

Good luck! Please, keep us updated on the situation and feel free to ask any additional questions.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

hi info transplant! Sorry to hear that, but let me get the facts right. U said the shock loss occurred on the untouched area? As in non-recipient and non-donor area?

If so, that will be something different from what i ve seen so far. However, not to worry about it, i am sure they will grow back soon as i thought those shock loss in which the hair nvr grew back was related to poor transection. If that area is totally untouched, i think u should be fine IMHO :)

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

Thank you wb280. Yes, the hair loss occured right behind the grafted area. So the doctor is confused to decide if it's shock loss or alopecia areata.

My guess is that it is at least related to alopecia areata, as it happend all of sudden (all those hair fell during a few hours)

I have experience similar but less hair loss on the other side but not on the fontal area as I observed. Hopefully it won't profess further.

I stopped taking propecia for the moment and will see how it goes and keep them posted as things change. Thank you.

left.JPG.11d8b0e1c9b89c2acb365210511bc820.JPG

right.JPG.1051a29ddfd77191850f5a9a40a38c3d.JPG

front.JPG.74229f5e8f161184c3c0cf8765917b17.JPG

info transplant, sorry can i ask on which site did u have the transplant? crown? Honestly i dun see any signs of transplant on the front line and u did your HT in early Aug

I am just curious! If u have the time, do post some photos of the recipient area :)

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

info_transplant,

I have seen countless pictures of shockloss and I haven't really seen many like yours. This shockloss appears to be outside of your balding pattern and your transplanted area. I may be wrong but I think this works in your favor in the end. It's probably temporary but please keep us posted. Dr. Ron will stand by you like he always does.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

• 2 years later...
Hi everyone,

I had a HT surgery on Aug 3rd with Dr. Ron Shapiro. It was 1325 grafts. So far I think I have been healing well. I started propecia from a week ago and I removed the suture last tuesday. And I didn't experience any serious shedding or lossing of my hair.

But today after noon, when I saw my hair in mirror, my old hairs (not grafted ones), especially on my right side, are falling like... crazy in a way that never used to. I am very shocked because I have never experienced such huge hair loss in such a short period of time.

They just... fall off even though I didn't touch them, I guess I saw more than hundread hairs falling just today afternoon. As I remember it was fine until yesterday.

I am attaching a photo. It is very shocking because most of my hair on pretty large area on my right side are gone, as it can be seen from the photo. It is not where I grafted new hairs.

Can this be due to propecia? or is this shock loss? If this is shock loss, is it commong to loss this much hair on one day afternoon?

I am so worried and paniced now. I now even worry about getting another HT to cover those newly balded area. OMG..

Many thanks to your opinion and experience.

Did your shock loss grow back if so how long? I am in absolute turmoil from shock loss. Would love to know how you made out.