20 Years Old. Need advice/opinions

Hey Everyone,

I am 20 years old and starting noticing the sides of my hairline receding when I was 17/18. I am currently a Norwood 3A. I have been taking propecia for 4 months now. The thing that concerns me right now is that I can do the pull test anywhere on my head and pull 1-3 hairs out. Sometime it's more around 6 or 7 at times. This applies even to the permanent zone. A blood test showed that I have a low DHEA level, as well as something else that has to do with iron (I wish I remembered, the reference level was something like 22-80 ug/dL).

With all the facts out of the way, I want to let everyone know that I am seriously considering a hair transplant. I have become irritable, depressed, and angry. My best friend, who is also my girlfriend of almost four years, says she can tell a difference in my personality, which is extremely upsetting. I can't take it anymore, so I decided to do something about it. I went to see Dr. Gallagher in Philadelphia since my father has some small connection with him. He told me to wait, but I said that I just couldn't. He agreed to do a conservative procedure of 1200 grafts in the hairline. Since this is such a big decision I came here to find out about Dr. Feller's great reputaton, so I set up a consultation that is in three days from the time I'm writing this post. I feel like I would be in better hands with Dr. Feller because of this site. I really want to do a small procedure in the front since I have $5k in the bank and am doing really well in college to bring in future funding. I think it would be best to start in the front and do follow up procedures as/if my balding continues. If I run out of donor hair, so be it. At least I will look good in pictures and feel better when talking to people. I cannot continue my life like this, though, I just can't.

I would love advice/stories/experiences from you guys. I really appreciate your time. Thanks so much.

-jdim

Jdim,

I know it may not be what you want to hear (and I can appreciate the urgency of your situation), but my guess is that, because of your age, Dr. Feller will advise against surgery. If I were in your position, I would investigate adding minoxidil (Rogaine) and possibly a shampoo with ketoconazole (such as Nizoral) and wait a while before undergoing a hair transplant surgery. Hair loss is just so unpredictable and progressive, and it would be a shame to have an operation done at 20 and then have an isolated hairline (due to continued loss) by the time you're 30. Again, I apologize if this wasn't the type of input you were seeking. Please keep us updated and let the community know what Dr. Feller thinks. Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Yeah I was expecting that sort of response. I understand that the balding could get worse. I understand that I could run out of donor hair. Despite all that, I think I am more interested in preserving a hairline and going back for another procedure as my hair continues receding. I know the best route to take is waiting to see the final pattern, but the reason I want hair restoration in the first place is to avoid exactly that.

Is it a terrible plan to do multiple procedures as I continue balding if I understand the what it entails?

I can definitely relate to your story jdim. My personality changed dramatically when I started receding; in fact, many of my college friends would tell me that I was bipolar, but actually I was an emotional roller coaster because of my hair loss. I don't know much about Dr. Gallagher but Dr. Fellar is an excellent physician; I'm assuming your from PA (I am too). Dr. Lindsey is also an excellent physician as well. I believe he is based in Virgina; however, both of these doctors might recommend what Future_HT_Doc stated above. I agree with Future_HT_Doc, I think that you should wait until your at least 25/26 in my opinion. If you decide to go through with the procedure, I wish you luck.

I totally understand your situation. I'm 22 years old and I've been losing my hair since I was 20. I am also in a rush into doing a hair transplant, but this is something that you don't want to rush in doing. If you do in the future to decide to get a HT done, you want to do it once and get it right the first time. I hate to tell ya, but you (and I) are too young. I'm from CA, and I have visited 3 different physicians who all told me that I am too young to do a HT and that I need to wait it out because male pattern baldness is unpredictable. The physicians told me the youngest ages they would consider doing a HT on is between 25-28.

Check out the thread I recently posted, I had similar questions and got some great advice to take into account. http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/156973-newbie-22-yrs-old-hair-loss-plz-help.html

Hope this helps.

My Hair Loss Blog: http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2920

1st Hair Transplant: FUT/Strip, Dr. John Diep. 07/14/2014.

# of grafts: 3577

1's: 897

2's: 2016

3's: 451

4's: 213

• 2 weeks later...

So at my consultation with Dr. Feller he recommended 1800 grafts to lower my hairline conservatively. At this point I think it's a good choice because I looked at all of my uncles on both sides of the family and none of them are at norwood 6/7. my father is 5.5 or 6 but he has had procedures and looks great. I know the age is a problem but I am willing to take the risk.

note: it actually doesn't look that bad in this picture, but without my lifting my eyebrows my forehead looks much larger. the procedure would fill in the corners of the hairline and ever so slightly move the middle down about .5cm or so. Thoughts?

note2: I know I would be chasing my balding.

o8fi4l.jpg

There is no reason why you should ever consider lowering your hairline. You're only 20 years old. It doesn't matter if your dad and uncles aren't NW 6 or 7's, it only matters if YOU will become a NW 6 or 7. While I understand that genetics seem to be on your side, you don't have any way of knowing for sure whether you've inherited a NW 3, 4, 5, 6, or 7 pattern.

Also, you said your dad is a NW 5.5 or 6, but how old is he? My dad is approaching a NW 6.5-7 range now at age 60, but at age 45 he was a solid NW 5, and at age 50 he was a solid NW 6.

It's terribly irresponsible to even consider lowering your hairline right now. I don't even think it's ethical to operate on you considering you're only 20 years old, but that's a different discussion. If you MUST proceed with a hair transplant, consult with more doctors and get their opinion, but please do not lower your hairline.

I agree with TC17. You are WAY too young to even be thinking about a HT !!!

I think in about 3-5 years time we are going to see alot of 25-30 year old patients coming back to this forum and bashing HTs as the worst thing they ever did in their life. These will be the patients who "lowered their hairlines" when they were just beginning to recede at age 20-23, and they will have a barren wasteland of bald skin behind an expensive mustache they paid thousands of dollars for up front -- and will hence look like FREAKS !!! It's happened many times before, and it's happening again. :mad:

And most will not remember that they were forewarned by the more wise members of this forum.

I have one quick rebuttle. Have you seen Dr. Feller's hair? He has a poof in the front and nothing behind it. Yes, it does look a tad unorthodox, but I still feel like I would like my hair look like that rather than without the poof in front. That is the main reason I am thinking about undergoing this surgery.

Ok I didn't mean to say "lower" the hairline. It is more about filling in the corners of the hairline. I have already set up a date for a procedure and Dr. Feller suggested that I go through with it. I feel that it is better to start now since I am not expecting to go to a NW 6 or 7. If I do, so be it. I am willing to take the risk. I know I would regret it. I don't, however, want to continue living my life where I can't go outside because the wind shows the corners of my hairline. I feel terrible about myself. I really think this is the best thing for me and I HAVE thought about chasing the balding. I understand the risks and I honestly think that the benefits outweigh them. I would rather comb my hair backwards with a thinning area behind the hairline than live a life without a hairline at all.

Can I please get more opinions? Thanks so much guys.

I understand your desire to get your original hairline back. I pine for that every single moment of my life. However, some of the advices that the forum members gave you are excellent. If I were you I would postpone the HT for at least another 5 years. Preferably 10+ years. Some hairloss products such as Histogen are scheduled to be released around 2015. If they turn out to be good, you might not need an HT at all. You can also try shaving your head. It might surprise you. When I shaved my head, I actually got a lot of compliment from girls. A lot of girls did like my long hair look, but almost equal number of girls liked my shaved look. So you can give that a shot.

I think the idea of just filling in the corners is absurd. You're 20 years old and I guarantee you'll be back in a few years to fill in the tuft and possibly the rest of your frontal 1/3 after that. Plus, you always have the risk of shock loss as well, which might make the tuft area thin. I would wait until you are AT LEAST 25 years old and then start to seriously consider going for a transplant. I personally want to limit the number of sessions to 1 or 2 because I work in field where "down time" isn't always easy to get. You have to keep that in mind as well.

Same advice dude...please dont go ahead with it now..you will most likely be chasing this all your life....it sounds easy to say that you will be fine with it but how do you know what future has in store for you..you are trying to give a reference to Dr. Feller but there is a difference between your age and his....if you are in your late twenties and have hair like that, trust me you will look like a freak..if i were you, i would buzz my hair (that way you wont have to worry about the wind), hit the gym and reassess the situation 5 years down the road..please cancel your surgery..you will love us for warning you!!

Guys, u feel he is a NW3A now? Somehow i was expecting worse looking photos.

IMHO, i thought u still looked great, hair wise. Of cos it could be better but i have come across far worse examples of HL at age 20.

TC is right. Even if u really go thru the procedure at a delicate age of 20, i think lowering ur hairline is over the top as u are still rapidly losing hair. U would want to preserve those precious donors for usage at a later stage.

So at the end of the day, Dr Feller did suggest a 1800 grafts to lower the hairline? I am pretty sure he was not able to talk u out of it :)

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

I just walked in and he recommended the procedure. He didn't try to talk me out of it. He said it was a good idea since my hairline is high enough and I'm not diffuse thinning. If it is a conservative enough hairline, wouldn't I be wanting that hairline in the future anyway? Why not have it sooner rather than later? It would increase my quality of life and keep it looking good until a second procedure. I know that donor hair is precious, but procedures would just focus on being conservative. I am honestly trying to see why waiting 5 years is the better choice. Chances are that I will want the same amount of grafts in the same spot. Ideally, I should wait until the final pattern shows, yet that is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I really think that taking this chance will pay off in the end.

EpilepticSceptic - why throw words like freak around ? The guys is clearly concerned and does not need words like that in his head. Hair can be permanently removed far more convincingly and effectively than it can be added.

I had work done at 28 - it's a different game with younger patients.