My HT experience with Dr Umar in California.

I am absolutely bursting to share my wonderful experience with everyone!

I'm 38, and have been balding since my twenties. I am currently a NW3-4 and like all of us who are losing our hair, I was desperate to not end up bald. Even at the age of 38 I felt as though I looked ten years older!

So I researched tranplants for six to eight months and finally settled on Dr Sanusi Umar of the Dermhair clinic in Redondo Beach, Southern California.

His "per graft" pricing was amongst the most competitive of doctors, and the great things I was reading about him from hairloss forums clinched the deal.

So I travelled halfway around the world to see him in late August (we just returned home this afternoon) for a 3000 graft FUE transplant. Just to give you an idea, there is a very reputable FUE doctor (one of the pioneers) only 20 minutes drive from my house, and yet for the price they were asking for only 1000 grafts, I was able to have 3000 grafts with Dr Umar, as well as pay for my complete holiday!

Who would've thought?

It truly does pay to research well.

(Oh, and in case anyone's saying "It's a HT trip, not a holiday", you'll be happy to hear that if you're having FUE, within one week, you'll be on holiday! I was actually out and about (with a cap on, naturally) within two days of finishing my transplant! Imagine doing that with strip surgery?)

As for the procedure itself, I had 3000 grafts taken from the back of my head and implanted into the frontal lobe and temples and I couldn't be happier.

As soon as the scabs had fallen off (helped by keeping the area constantly moistened) I gasped at how fantastic it looked! With all the crusted blood you can't really tell, but as soon as it clears, you see the true genius of Dr Umar and his artistry.

I know you have to wait one year to see the optimum results, but if what I see now is anything to go by, things are looking incredible.

Apart from the slight redness in the donor areas, you wouldn't even know I'd had a transplant. It looks like a mild sunburn on the top of your head.

Honestly, in lieu of how wonderful the whole experience was, and how genuinely incredible Dr Umar is, not just in talent but in personality (such a fantastic guy), I can't believe anybody would consider going to another doctor.

And I can't believe people are still having strip procedures done?

Is the price difference really that extreme?

3000 FUE

Dr S. Umar

Dermhair Clinic

Redondo Beach, CA

USA

(Link Removed)

I am absolutely bursting to share my wonderful experience with everyone!

I'm 38, and have been balding since my twenties. I am currently a NW3-4 and like all of us who are losing our hair, I was desperate to not end up bald. Even at the age of 38 I felt as though I looked ten years older!

So I researched tranplants for six to eight months and finally settled on Dr Sanusi Umar of the Dermhair clinic in Redondo Beach, Southern California.

His "per graft" pricing was amongst the most competitive of doctors, and the great things I was reading about him from hairloss forums clinched the deal.

So I travelled halfway around the world to see him in late August (we just returned home this afternoon) for a 3000 graft FUE transplant. Just to give you an idea, there is a very reputable FUE doctor (one of the pioneers) only 20 minutes drive from my house, and yet for the price they were asking for only 1000 grafts, I was able to have 3000 grafts with Dr Umar, as well as pay for my complete holiday!

Who would've thought?

It truly does pay to research well.

(Oh, and in case anyone's saying "It's a HT trip, not a holiday", you'll be happy to hear that if you're having FUE, within one week, you'll be on holiday! I was actually out and about (with a cap on, naturally) within two days of finishing my transplant! Imagine doing that with strip surgery?)

As for the procedure itself, I had 3000 grafts taken from the back of my head and implanted into the frontal lobe and temples and I couldn't be happier.

As soon as the scabs had fallen off (helped by keeping the area constantly moistened) I gasped at how fantastic it looked! With all the crusted blood you can't really tell, but as soon as it clears, you see the true genius of Dr Umar and his artistry.

I know you have to wait one year to see the optimum results, but if what I see now is anything to go by, things are looking incredible.

Apart from the slight redness in the donor areas, you wouldn't even know I'd had a transplant. It looks like a mild sunburn on the top of your head.

Honestly, in lieu of how wonderful the whole experience was, and how genuinely incredible Dr Umar is, not just in talent but in personality (such a fantastic guy), I can't believe anybody would consider going to another doctor.

And I can't believe people are still having strip procedures done?

Is the price difference really that extreme?

3000 FUE

Dr S. Umar

Dermhair Clinic

Redondo Beach, CA

USA

(Link Removed)

Hooray for Hair,

I am pleased you had a positive experience with Dr. Umar but your post does reak of promotion. Not only are you seemingly promoting Dr. Umar but are promoting FUE as well as the "only" solution which is simply not true.

As a result I have removed the link to Dr. Umar's website as this post is coming off more as a solicitation than a shared experience.

If this is legit than perhaps you'll be willing to share more detail with us.

1. Did you receive all 3000 grafts in one day?

2. When did you have your surgery?

3. Do you have any before/after/transition pictures you can share with us of both the recipient and donor areas?

Best wishes,

Bill

Thanks Guys.

I'm sorry if I came across as insincere.

I do understand your skepticism, especially in the field of HT where I've read about a lot of charlatans.

Please let me reassure you that It's only my personality that's coming out in that post. I'm not cynical enough, or egotistical enough, to disquise my happiness with dampened-down enthusiasm. icon_smile.gif

Honestly, I've been reading about people's experiences for almost two years on and off, and solidly, every day, for the last 6 to 8 months as I chose myself a doctor.

And having read so many horror stories, and being so apprehensive making a decision myself, I am experiencing the joy and relief of somebody who feels as though they've just narrowly escaped the hand of death!

Please don't tell me it's not natural to want to express that happiness in the arena that matters the most, where like-minded people will read and hopefully share in your relief.

You know what?

I feel like somebody who's just discovered religion, and feels the need to share it with the world!

(and now that I put it in that context, I can understand why you guys are resentful of my post. icon_wink.gif)

John, in answer to your question, Dr Umar has a deal whereby you can pay $4.50 per graft if you're willing to have your full face shown on his website, and it's $5.00 per graft if you want your face covered and I think a little bit more if you don't want any of your HT shown on his site. But that's it! No deals or payments for what I'm writing. Heck, I'm back in Australia less than one day and simply gushing because I'm happy. It's unfortunate that we're all too cynical with life to not just see something for what it is. And I'd be exactly the same as you guys, so don't think I'm condemning anybody. It's a shame that to express happiness promotes skepticism.

Anyway, now that I look back on other posts, I realise that people don't seem to "gush".

They simply explain their situations and their experiences and leave it up to everyone else to think their thoughts. I realise that I should've done it like that.

Bill, my first post was just that: a gushing rant filled with happiness and jetlag. I'm happy to explain any and all details anybody wants to hear. I just let loose with the "I'm so happy with this guy" speech in the assumption that people would then wanna know more about my actual procedure. And I'm not saying that FUE is the "only" option, but I'm definitely saying that I think it's the best option. I don't think there's a person out there that who wouldn't agree, do you?

I'm reading horrible things about the nerves being severed in the back of the head with strip and sometimes never healing, leaving the scalp numb for life. And even if that wasn't the case, why would I want the strip scar and the longer, more painful healing process?

I can honestly say (and as I now write the slightest "good" thing to say about my HT, I feel as though I'm shamelessly cross-promoting) the only pain or even discomfort I felt through the entire three days was the needles in the back of the head/neck area at the start of each morning. That's it. No problem sleeping, the scabs were off in days, with no sign (at the back) of a HT. Incredible. I'd already read about other people saying this, but to experience it was wonderful, and in my world, to want to encourage others to have the same fantastic experience is not a bad thing.

Here are the details you requested:

First surgery was on August 27 and last was on the 29th.

My support squad (wife and mum) arrived on Sunday morning, spent one day looking aroung the area of our hotel (Redondo Beach) and the next morning we were at the doctors surgery (five minutes from our hotel, deliberately) at 7.30 to meet him and discuss what I wanted. Over email he had suggested 2500 to 3000 grafts, but when he saw me he said it looked more like 3000 to 3500. It ended up being 3127 ( he placed the extra 127 in for nothing, but this is not promotion as I've heard other doctors doing additional work for free )

My first impression of Dr Umar was professional but cold, and only over the course of the three days did his warmth shine through.

But even if he stayed cold, all that mattered was his workmanship at the end of the day, and as I've said before, when the scabs finally came off the three of us collectively gasped.

Surgery-wise, Day one was 7.30 till 10pm. Day two was 8am till 11.00pm and day three was 8.30 till 9.30. All done.

The photo I've included is both before and 12 days after the last day of surgery, which was yesterday, when we arrived back home.

Anyway, guys, all I can do is say how happy I am, and share my experience, and if I'm looked at cynically then what more can I do. I'll try to show less happiness next time.

Peter

Before_and_After-_covered.jpg.a6ea062130922781ade9c4690d61f9ac.jpg

Peter (Hooray for Hair),

I do apologize for jumping the gun a little bit but being around awhile there are obvious signs that show when someone MIGHT be a shill for a clinic.

It is completely normal to be ecstatic immediately post op as you see the new hair follicles transplanted in your head and the hope of hair restoration is embedded in your head. So for that I certainly don't knock you.

Though I certainly don't want to take away your enthusiasm you are not in a place to judge your RESULT...only your SURGICAL EXPERIENCE. Know what I mean?

What I mean is...your result has not come in if you are only a few days/weeks post op. The grafts will shed, you will wait a good amount of time, and then the transplanted hair will start to grow back and mature and thicken in a year's time. In other words, don't judge your final result until that time.

Regarding strip...

I understand you have read some bad things about strip - but keep in mind the risks you mentioned are minimal in the hands of a quality hair transplant physician. I've had 3 strip surgeries and I am very happy with my results.

Do you have any pictures from the top down perspective? It's hard to judge the density of the transplanted grafts from a hairline only shot.

Best wishes,

Bill

Hi Bill.

Yes, I hear you loud and clear.

One years time from now cannot come quickly enough. Only then will I know for sure whether I'm truly satisfied with the results.

Heck, stay posted because I may just be changing my tune completely!! icon_smile.gif

And I'm so happy that your transplants were successful. I don't mean to put down strip surgery. I promise I only mean that it wasn't for me, as I'm a massive surgery coward. Honestly, if it was the only option, I definitely would've done it. I was heading down that path, but when I discovered that the doctor I went to had prices comparative to strip surgery pricing, then I started to realise that I could achieve FUE, if you know what I mean.

I've attached a top down pic outlining the area I had filled in, but it was also taken yesterday, which was four or five days after the scabs came off, and already I've had light shedding as I rub the minoxidil into the donor area. It was noticably denser on the first day after the scab-removal and only the doctor has a few pics of that day, (I was still in the area so I went back to see him for a check-up) which I'll ask him to send me. Why the hell I didn't take any myself I'll never know. (Actually, we went out sight-seeing, so I guess that's the reason; touristy distraction)

Peter

Hooray for Hair

IMG_5412a.jpg.abb1e72f1f210b08721bc0c22e1e242a.jpg

Thanks a lot, Billo.

It's nice to hear a postive comment from somebody who really knows what they're talking about.

My friends and family have all complimented the workmanship, however they have no real frame of reference from a technical perspective, unlike yourself.

So here's hoping that it'll look as good or even better in one year's time!

I was actually considering doing a weblog because I had such a positive experience (so far) and it was only through reading so many other people's websites and blogs that set me on the HT path that I really do feel the need to share my adventure!

I'll keep you posted.

Peter

Hooray for Hair

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

Just wanted to post my four month update photo.

Happy New Year to everyone.

All the best

H f H

Oh, and I've finally done my web diary detailing my full experience.

(promotional link removed: feel free to share your pictures and experience by creating a free hair loss weblog or hair transplant patient photo album.)

IMG_5723.jpg.d802169f6af4f3fc8434f5cd361b829c.jpg

Peter,

I checked out your website and things definitely look great in the recipient area. Very natural and technically sound.

My only thought that has always concerned me with Fue is your donor area does look slightly thinned. Likely it would not be noticed with longer hair but nonetheless, people should not make the statements of no scar because quite often their is evidence of slight scarring or thinning.

As with any of these procedures nothing is perfect. You definitely look much better post op. I.m glad for you.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Peter,

I appreciate that you have come back to share your results so far. However, you are encouraged to share your photos and experience by creating a hair transplant patient photo album or creating a hair loss weblog rather than posting a link to your website that appears promotional for Dr. Umar. Therefore, your link has been removed.

It appears that things are coming along nicely so far.

It also appears however, that you are thinning in areas behind where you've had hair transplanted. Do you have plans for future hair restoration?

Best wishes,

Bill

Pics look good, 3k grafts should make a mighty difference.

To be totally honest, though, the narrow (promotionalesque) praise of Dr. Umar, and degrading of FUT left n' right w/ blanket statements that contradict a view of someone who has done intensive research seems odd.

If you have zero alterior motives, I would just suggest being a bit more objective in the Pros and Cons of both FUT and FUE. Personally, if I didn't know better and read through your posts and website I think I would have a distorted view of FUE/FUT, which troubles me.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

• 3 years later...

Peter - I too am from Australia ... I am desperate to contact you for phone chat if possible. I have been considering dr. Umar for H.T. I am from Melbourne. My name is also Peter. I am not sure I am doing this right as this is my first post.

• 2 years later...

Hi Peter ... this too was my first post. So I am not sure if I'm doing this right. Maybe REPLY to this so as we know we are communicating right and we can organise a time to hook up on phone.

talk later ... or sooner ... Peter