what's the difference betw/ nizoral 1% and 2%?

i know 1% is over the counter, but is 2%? what's the difference?

been using 1% for 7 months and haven't noticed anything. is it worth trying 2%?

i've heard about regenix or regenerx (something like that). anyone tried this and had any success?

i've tried revivogen and tricomin shampoos and they haven't worked at all. anyone got any good ideas? is nioxin really worth it?

Willie,

You will not notice any difference with any of these products, they do not regrow hair. The best hope is that combined with finasteride and rogaine you can give your scalp the best growing conditions. Hairloss is not going to be stopped on its own by any shampoos, but it can be one of your soldiers in a team attack against it.

Nizoral is a anti-fungal/anti-dandruff shampoo, I use the 1% over the counter niz, the 2% requires a presription but you may be able to get online, not sure. It makes your hair feel dry as you know, I use nioxin because I like it but I do not expect it to regrow anything. It claims to remove dht from the scalp which many other shampoos probably do. Remember, the dht below the scalp is what does the real damage to your follicles, therefore IMO, finasteride is the best option of the three. Rogaine helps increase bloodflow and regrows fine vellous hair (like peach fuzz), I have had little success with this and it is a messy regimen. Good luck my friend,

NoBuzz

Great advice....Nobuzz! icon_cool.gif

ANY of the quality shampoos are a nice addition to your regimen but shampoos don't regrow hair. Pick a shampoo that's healthy for your scalp and hair and go with it.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Yup,

I just use Nizoral about 3 x a week and then the shampoo which leaves my hair feeling the best.. Some of the "Anti DHT" shampoos do have a really nice refreshing feeling and leave the hair nice.. OF COURSE we know they will not regrow hair in any way,shape, or form

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

It's funny - in Canada, the Nizoral 2% is over-the-counter, unlike in the US where you need a prescription.

But then again, you can't buy Rogaine 5% Extra Strength (which includes the new Rogaine Foam) over-the-counter *or* with prescription. You simply can't buy it as it is not approved in Canada.

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

• 1 month later...

if anyone is question the effectiveness on Ketoconazole shampoos, click on this recent study amd the photos in particular only a few months later.

Their is a new product being trialled that is a lot better than the shampoo so the results could be a lot better than this.

Its called Keto Mouse, and has been posted about on the other forumns, in particualr hairlosshelp

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_ud...96ac4f1c6e5215d61bef

Hey Willie,

To answer your first question the differnece between Nizoral 1% and Nizoral 2% is that the 2% solution is more concentrated than the 1% solution. It is a little bit stronger and will require a precription.

If you want to combat hair loss you should'nt really be using Nizoral as there are much better treatments out there for you. Nizoral is primarily used to treat dandruff and irritations of the skin.

Like the other guys have said you will need something that promotes hair growth but also puts a stop to the hair loss. To combat hair loss and promote regrowth you are best attacking the problem from several angles, by taking tablets, using solutions and using shampoos.

Hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

(Signature removed by Falceros - Co-Moderator of this community due to promotional material. Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.

Willie,

Try to find a NATURAL shampoo that is free of harsh chemicals such as sodium laurel sulphate, which is in almost every shampoo as well as anti-freeze.

1st HT 1-5-05 - 1894 FUT's Dr. Glenn Charles

2nd HT 12-18-06 - 1542 FUT's Dr. Glenn Charles

Total: 3436 FUT's

Current Protocol: Propecia Daily, Laser Therapy EOD 20 mins.

• 2 years later...

Hi

I am interested in the "no shampoo will help regrow hair" comments. I have been advised to use Nizoral by my dermatologist and researched the key ingredient "Ketoconazole".

Several sites advise that Nizoral has shown equal efficacy to 2% rogaine, here's what I found on Wikipedia, I know it's not always accurate but it states in a more comprehensive way what i have read on at least 3 other sites:

Hair loss benefits

A study in mice indicated that ketoconazole may have a stimulatory effect on hair growth.[14] Nizoral shampoo has shown to be beneficial in men suffering from androgenic alopecia. One 1998 study showed that Nizoral 2% worked just as well as minoxidil 2% (brand name Rogaine) in men with androgenic alopecia. Both medicines increased hair thickness and increased the number of anagen-phase hair follicles on the scalp. Researchers were guarded about the meaning of these results, saying that more rigorous studies on larger groups of men should be done to confirm the findings, both to evaluate the ideal dosage and formulation, and to assess the desirability of routine treatment in this condition. Nizoral Shampoo only has U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval for the treatment of dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis of the scalp, so although Nizoral may be useful as a hair loss remedy, it cannot be endorsed or marketed as one to the general public.[15] Nevertheless, pharmacies and drug stores often stock Nizoral with other hairloss remedies, rather than other shampoos.[citation needed]

Results so far indicate that both the 1% and 2% dosages have positive hair loss benefits; however the more potent 2% formulation could have better results. Optimal usage is speculated at every third day, leaving the shampoo on the scalp for 3??“5 minutes before rinsing. It has been stated that medications capable of maintaining the existing hair population should be regarded as effective treatments for androgenic alopecia. The present data suggest that ketoconazole should enter this group of drugs.

Interesting,

although I would never personally rely on Wikipedia as a source of any kind! But, still interesting!

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

• 1 year later...

You also had a question about Regenix. It is VERY expensive and a waste of money.

HT #1 Unknown Butcher (1998)

Total about 1500

-------------------------------------------------------------

HT #2 Dr. Alexander (2011)

687 - Singles

1672 - Doubles

10 - Multis

Total 2369

Rogaine Foam

Nizoral

Proscar