Dr. Lindsey Trip to El Salvador to treat Children with Cleft Lips

A few weeks ago I commented on the forum's encouraging comments on some of its members providing help to those less fortunate. In that thread I briefly discussed that a few years ago I travelled to El Salvador as part of a non-denominational religious mission called Children's Cross Connections (the cross standing for both Christianity and cross-border mission work).

Bill suggested I post a few pictures and with the move to our new office I have finally found the discs containing documentation of our trip.

In our mission there were 3 doctors including Dr. Paul Davis (now deceased) who trained me in the mid-90's, me, and a neurosurgeon. We travelled with 4 dentists and 30 evangelical ministers and their families. We worked in a hospital, pictures shown, while the rest of the mission travelled to outlying villages and did construction work, in one case having to take dug out canoes to a village on an island.

A trip to an impoverished area will really allow one to appreciate how good we have it here in the US, regardless of political affiliation. Our group did a tremendous service for the kids, the villages, and also for us who went there and really got an equal return in terms of hospitality and thankfulness.

I strongly encourage readers to consider going on a trip like this, if only to help with an organized medical or construction team. The rewards for both provider and recipient far outway the efforts.

William H Lindsey MD FACS McLean VA

7621072483_02CC0A8DF07E00B16AFCC355143299E0.JPG.thumb 6621072483_D5FA34C993833AADC248F6CF858DA7DE.JPG.thumb 5621072483_D23C86DFA6BA7ECFC969E818ACAA4D39.JPG.thumb 4621072483_2174A9B772EEFA714088281BC366BC46.JPG.thumb 3621072483_3120EE88E995FC0A7C68FE09E4BCCF4E.JPG.thumb 2621072483_EBF25EBD4AA1AAD16E4AA1E5D3F9DC12.JPG.thumb

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

A few weeks ago I commented on the forum's encouraging comments on some of its members providing help to those less fortunate. In that thread I briefly discussed that a few years ago I travelled to El Salvador as part of a non-denominational religious mission called Children's Cross Connections (the cross standing for both Christianity and cross-border mission work).

Bill suggested I post a few pictures and with the move to our new office I have finally found the discs containing documentation of our trip.

In our mission there were 3 doctors including Dr. Paul Davis (now deceased) who trained me in the mid-90's, me, and a neurosurgeon. We travelled with 4 dentists and 30 evangelical ministers and their families. We worked in a hospital, pictures shown, while the rest of the mission travelled to outlying villages and did construction work, in one case having to take dug out canoes to a village on an island.

A trip to an impoverished area will really allow one to appreciate how good we have it here in the US, regardless of political affiliation. Our group did a tremendous service for the kids, the villages, and also for us who went there and really got an equal return in terms of hospitality and thankfulness.

I strongly encourage readers to consider going on a trip like this, if only to help with an organized medical or construction team. The rewards for both provider and recipient far outway the efforts.

William H Lindsey MD FACS McLean VA

7621072483_02CC0A8DF07E00B16AFCC355143299E0.JPG.thumb 6621072483_D5FA34C993833AADC248F6CF858DA7DE.JPG.thumb 5621072483_D23C86DFA6BA7ECFC969E818ACAA4D39.JPG.thumb 4621072483_2174A9B772EEFA714088281BC366BC46.JPG.thumb 3621072483_3120EE88E995FC0A7C68FE09E4BCCF4E.JPG.thumb 2621072483_EBF25EBD4AA1AAD16E4AA1E5D3F9DC12.JPG.thumb

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Dr. Lindsey,

Kudos to you for doing volunteer work and helping children with Cleft Lips re-establish their smile on the inside and out icon_smile.gif.

I'm sure these particular missions could use a number of surgeons, but it sounds like people other than medical professionals can help too.

I have always wanted to participate in some kind of short term mission trip as helping people has always been a passion of mine. Unfortunately, I have not yet to date. Maybe in the future I'll have a chance to do some traveling and join a missions team.

I certainly won't be performing any surgeries though icon_smile.gif

Bill

Wrenching stuff, and I can imagine the perspective it gives you; you have my definite respect for taking part in such a caring, helpful endeovor. When I was younger I took part in a mission trip, and it is something I would like to do again at some point in my future.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

• 3 months later...

As unlikely as it could be, I just last week saw a patient in the office, whose wife was a support person in El Salvador during our medical mission back in 1995. She came to the US in 2000, and now works with an organization that helps mission logistics.

She asked if I wanted to go back, and I will once my kids are a bit older.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

McLean, VA

Interesting that you bring this up. As I type this, a rep of that group is waiting for her husband to finish his case. I agree with your recommendation.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

McLean, VA

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Curious,

I would go again, but I have little kids and it can be less than perfectly safe on these missions. I'll wait til they are out of school age issues and then go back.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

McLean, VA