prescriptionskeywest.com is down! Help I need a pharmacy quick!

Arson

I'll let the link stay but I want to chime in my two cents about generic Finasteride. I just posted something on this in another thread, but I will repeat it here.

Generic medications from India and other countries (like Mexico, etc.) do not go through the same scrutiny that U.S. drugs go through. They are much cheaper, yes, but there have been MANY news reports on medications (India specifically) that have been ordered and tested by U.S. officials. Lab test results found high levels of heavy metals, arsenic, and little to NONE of the advertised active ingredient. A couple of the brand names of generic medications from India that I can think of off the top of my head are Finpecia and Fincar. Please use your best judgement in ordering these generics. Compare their prices with Proscar.

For example, compare 120 tablets of 1 mg Fincar/ Finpecia with 30 5 mg tablets of Proscar. The savings you get? Literally pennies. That is a SMALL price to pay for your peace of mind, in my opinion.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

I would echo Robert's comments. In todays political enviroment with everyone talking about cheap drugs in other countries, TONS, TONS of fake/forge drugs are hitting the US by the masses-- due to the political enviroment, not many are being highlighted on the news. Just google.com fake import news. Just last week, the FDA seized 100K cases shipped Fed Ex from Europe through the Bahamas ordered by Canadian pharmacies who were short on their own supply and purchased in Europe extra for US customers. Upon inspection 90% of the cases were Fake (sugar pills). Important blood pressure drugs that look identical in shape, color and markings to the real thing-- but broken up under a microscope revealed 100% sugar pill. This is going on every day-- it's a way for Crooked people to make millions on innocent Americans who have some politicians trying to open up uninspected boarders.

Play it safe and get the real stuff. Costco usually has the best price per pill. Also, if you by 3 months at once the price per pill goes down. If you really need it cheap, have your doctor to write you a Rx for Proscar 90 ct with 12 refills -- then split the pill-- it will last twice as long at 1/4 the cost.

Is there anyway that we can have a sample of the pills tested to see that we are getting what we paid for? I'm thinking of some kind of independent testing facility. Something like in Seinfeld where they tested the yogurt to see if it was really fat-free. Just wondering.

texasNW2,

I am sure that you can have the pills tested, but if money is an issue, why waste money to test them? Also, even if you do test a batch, how are you going to determine if the next batch that you recieve is synonymous with the first? In all fairness, you would have to test each and every batch that you buy.

-Robert

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Americans wouldn't be forced to get medical supplies over seas if it weren't for the astronomical prices being charged at home for these products.

A hospital charges $12 for a pill that later can be purchased at Walmart for $2.Is that right?

Solid,

To bad you have that opinion. Do you have the same opinion on cars-- does every American deserve to drive a Mercedes? Or housing-- does every American deserve to live in a 5,000 sq ft house with a swimming pool? If you ever took an economics class, products and commodities are basically economic of scales between countries--Period. Plus, there are a ton of generic drugs out there for those who complain about drugs being over priced. How do you think companies afford to bring new state of the art drugs to the market?? Money doesnt grow on trees and the US goverment doesnt subsdize the industry. From the time a drug molecule is founded it takes approx. 10 yrs for it to come to market and approx. 800Millions to do so. And for every 100 molecules developed only 1 make it to the market for consumers-- THATS A LOT OF OPPORTUNITY EXPENSES in order for us to have drugs to fight diseases that we didnt have in 1980 or 1990 for that matter. It costs money, and when your restricted to socialize medicines in other countries, they have to make up the margins with the countries that have larger economic of scales.

Plus in the last 10 years car insurance, house insurance, bread, and milk have all increase a greater % than drug prices (not $ but %).

You dont hear about these things on the news, but drug companies give away billions of dollars a year to state Medicaid programs where patients get their drugs free, indigent programs which provide free medicine, and 3rd world countries that have ZERO economic of scale.

For US citizens, various companies offer patient assistant programs that allow patients in certain income levels to have discounts on drugs. One of the recent ones I read about in the USA last month, was Pfizer just started a program for ALL UNINSURED Americans who do not have prescription coverage (they can have health insurance but not Rx insurance) And regardless of age or income (20 yr old or 90 yr old--- $1,000 a yr or $75,000 a yr income) they receive discounts on all Pfizer products even the higher income levels receive 15% discount and the lower your income the higher the discount--I think the article said a Zpac which cost around $28 could be as low as $10.

SO before you and others who have not been exposed to the true situation with US prescription drugs, sound off--- please check out the various programs and offers that exists with various companies-- Most have websites that have applications available.

It's like paying taxes-- why does the US have higher taxes than some other countries?-- Because we are the country of growth, development, and technology advancement.

Sorry, to get on my platform to set the record straight, but the democrats fail to mention all the good things in our country and why we are the leaders in medicine (when the rich and famous all over the world get cancer-- they want to be treated in the US -- that says something)

Blah,blah,blah!!!!!!!!!!!

Whose hands in whose pocket?

Look at Canada's health care?

Half the reason these companies setup those so called allowance programs is for the large tax breaks/write offs.It's not once for the betterment of society but rather their own corporate greed.

We might have one of the best health care in the world but the fact stil remains that the HMOS/physicians are driving the cost throught the roof period.

An MRI that takes less than thirty minutes that cost $1500 or ten nurses to take your temperature within the same hour.Next,a senior walks in to get their eyes tested.An assitant looks at them says the physician will come in but never does.They perceed to put drops in the patients eyes and then dimisses then to checkout/waiting room.The bill was a whoppin' $800 dollars.This all was being charged to the patient's medicare...........what a waste!!!!!!!!!!

Solid,

It is obvious that you have some strong views on the country's healthcare system and I respect that. However, to be honest, you sidestepped my point completely. I am not advocating buying Merck brand Proscar/Propecia because I think you should "buy American and support our drug companies." I am advocating buying Merck brand Proscar/Propecia because of the risks of buying from overseas clinics. If you feel that Finpecia, Fincar, or anything else that you have purchased works for you, then by all means, use it. For me, however, the pennies saved does not outwiegh the potential consequences to my health.

By all means, do what you want. I feel that I would not be abiding by my responsibility to not warn forum members of possible dangerous or useless medication.

-Robert

Hey guys,

I think the real issue here is "consumer safety". I never have and probably never will purchase medications manufactured overseas. Even if Merck manufactured Propecia overseas, I would not buy it because I do agree with Solid concerning greed. We see it every day. I am not singling out Merck either. I think anytime or any chance to cut corners to make an extra dime, you can bet it will happen.

And since the FDA does not regulate outside the US, too much temptation to scam people exists. Oh sure, there are indeed some legitimate drug manufacturers outside the US, but there is an outrageous proliferation of imposter medications being sold worldwide. Who has the time or resources to substantiate verification?

Well like anything else, we are all entitled to our own opinions. icon_smile.gif

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

YOur right, its all about consumer safety and when just last week several hundred cases of medicine were stopped by Fed Ex in the Caribean and reported to the FDA. THey inspected the drugs and 95% of them were sugar pills or water capsules--looking on the outside just like the real thing. THe drugs were shipped from Europe but ordered through one of Canada's largest pharmacies for US patients (they didnt have enough supply on hand and some states have blocked Canadain imports so this pharmacy try to bypass the system by purchasing those orders through Europe and route Fed Ex through the Caribean to the US). THe dangerous thing is that most of the drugs were cancer drugs, blood pressure, and diabetic drugs-- THEY PUT US LIVES AT RISK. If you can not control the system, crooks will try and make millions off our system.

Be safe, and think smart when buying meds.

Oh hey Solid,-- blah blah yourself to death-- get hurt in Canada and they do not even have updated MRI or Catscan machines (my friend who is a World known Neurosurgeon has done pro bona work a couple times a year in Canada as well as lectures/training Canadian doctors-- he says their equipment is 25yrs behind the US technology-- especially for life threatning treatments)

So it sounds like, SOlid, you need to live in Canada where you will save an extra 20% on your drugs, but pay 50% in Income taxes as well as 10% sales taxes-- and if you need medical attention, wait for a week before they can diagnose your problem--- Best of luck being a Canadian citizen.

• 3 weeks later...

According to Smoothy:

>>

Oh hey Solid,-- blah blah yourself to death-- get hurt in Canada and they do not even have updated MRI or Catscan machines (my friend who is a World known Neurosurgeon has done pro bona work a couple times a year in Canada as well as lectures/training Canadian doctors-- he says their equipment is 25yrs behind the US technology-- especially for life threatning treatments)

So it sounds like, SOlid, you need to live in Canada where you will save an extra 20% on your drugs, but pay 50% in Income taxes as well as 10% sales taxes-- and if you need medical attention, wait for a week before they can diagnose your problem--- Best of luck being a Canadian citizen.

>>>

Hey Smoothy - I'm neither an American nor Canadian citizen, so maybe I can take a step back and point something out which troubles me greatly about my future move to the US.

In the US, the number one cause of personal bankrupcy is getting ill - not being covered by your plan, or not having insurance - not having the huge amount of money required for your treatment.

40 million Americans, including a very good friend of mine in Oregon, have no health cover at all (they can't afford it), and I can assure you, it pisses them off .

In my country as well as Canada, yes, we pay higher taxes, but hey, come to Europe and take a look around at how well off we are. Nodody's poor. We're rich countries, ( as is the USA - richest nation on Earth ) yet nobody's having to take food stamps here. And NO-ONE gets bankrupted through getting sick.

Much as I love America, your healthcare system has serious flaws ( 40 million of them ) and denial just makes things worse. Read the stories of those hard-working blue-collar Americans who go BROKE through getting sick.

Good points, kez. However it is a brave new world, and to tell you the truth: no matter who says what, no one really knows what will work here in the U.S. What works for other countries may fall flat here.

The U.S. healthcare system is in need of serious reform. That is no secret. The real battle (to bring this back down to the toppic at hand) is to make sure that the medications you purchase are safe and effective.

-Robert

• 1 month later...

Bubba Gump,

Tread lightly with foreign pharmeceuticals. It is impossible to tell if they are legit or not. I have heard many people swear that they are legit because they are experiencing the side effects. This can be nothing more than the placebo effect.

Many foreign produced medicines have been found to contain little to none of the advertised active ingredient and often have unsafe levels of heavy metals such as lead and others. Is the few pennys that you save a day really worth the risk?

-Robert

• 4 weeks later...

I too am sorry to see prescriptionskeywest gone. They were about $300 for 100 US Proscar pills. About 75 cents a dose.

That isn't super cheap . . . BUT . . . they shipped quickly and it was US Proscar and it WORKS for me. No more hairloss.

I've seen two dermatoligist and both were glad to write me Propecia scripts but not Proscar. I guess Merck has really tied their hands because I could not convince them to write me a Proscar script.

So I'm forced online to find something that works for me at a reasonable price. Propecia is not reasonable priced compared to Proscar.

Sounds like drugstore.com is reputable. I'll try them. I do want US Proscar.

Any other good places to get US Proscar online?

well, i guess things have changed quite a bit since i last bought Proscar online. Can't seem to get the US Proscar without a script already written by a local doctor.

Probably a good thing in general. A real bummer for me right now.

I guess I'll use my Propecia prescription for now and continue to search for a doctor that will write the script.

Maybe my general physician will. He knows that I've been taking Proscar for a couple of years now, even though he didn't write the script.

Looks like you can get 90 Propecia for about $150. Guess that'll do for now.

A little frustrating. Can't get a script for a drug that has worked a small miracle for me. And why? Because Merck wants to sell more of the more expensive form of the drug. My guess is that they are the folks putting the heat on the dermatologists about writing a Proscar script for hairloss.

Rant off.