Dr. Greco

Its pretty obvious that "THE KID" has absolutely

no idea what he is talking about. . Joe Greco is a practicing PA-C with excellent credentials including a PHD. As a hospital pharmacist unless they are practicing medicine without a license I work with many throughout the day - including several who did residencies in cardiothoracic surgery working alongside cardiovascular surgeons. I have had 3 transplant surgeries with Joe and I am on the way in 1 week (Dec 2nd) to have some more work done on the hairline. Joe is highly respected and was actually highly recommended to me by Ron Shapiro a couple of years ago so I deemed him credible at that time and even moreso now that I have been to him.

You can find Joe's credentials at

www.grecohairsurgery.com .

Greg D.

Greco is not a medical doctor. The hair transplant industry is not regulated and that is how Greco gets away with performing hair transplant surgery. Legally, he can not perform hair transplant surgery without a real doctor being on premisis.

Greco could not legally remove your tonsils. But he can cut into your head. If your going to have the surgery, at least use a real doctor.

Its pretty obvious that "THE KID" has absolutely no idea what he is talking about

GD,

Really? While you may find it OK to have a non MD operate on your head, most people would consider what GRECO is doing to be criminal. Best wishes with your procedure.

Bobby

TheTKDKid

Comparing Greco to "the guy behind the counter at Dunkin Donuts" shows how stupid you are, Kid. Let's see, a guy who's been doing transplants for 20+ years who was recommended by Ron Shapiro and who has produced inredible results vs. a guy making donuts? Joe may not be an MD but he has more experience and know-how in performing transplants that most doctors out there. And he has an MD on premise all day. You can get an MD from Bosley to do your work. It may be terrible, but hey, at least you can tell everyone an MD gave you a terrible HT. Check an old post from Pat Hennessy who also said Joe does great work. From my understanding the reason Joe is no longer recommended by this site is because he doesn't pay a fee like the rest of the recommended docs. The bottom line is results, and from the patients I've seen, I'll put Joe's work up against anyone out there. Anyone. Check out Andy's pics if you don't believe me. Unless you've seen his patients in person, you have no right to give an opinion on his work.

Results of my 1424 FU transplant procedure on 8/16/02 can be viewed at...

http://community.webshots.com/user/ttaco

Hi, awhile back this website helped me find a superb ht surgeon, Joe Greco. Joe is THE MAN! He did two procedures on me and I am happy as a clam!

So much so that I have become an infrequent visitor to this website, which was of course the goal all along. Now I am back to my two favorite sports, slow horses and fast women.

Just kidding about the horses... icon_wink.gif

The fact that Joe Greco is not a medical doctor, is a legitimate issue, and it's something that people DO need to know about, so they can make up their OWN minds!!!

The Joe Greco fans should stop complaining when his non-MD status is mentioned, because it is TRUE, and it is a legitimate issue.

Arfy, I can understand why it's an issue. And you're right, people should make up their OWN minds. Being an MD is a credential. I won't deny that. But there are other credentials to consider, namely results. You wouldn't go to a general practitioner to get a hair transplant just because he's an MD. Joe is a professional hair transplant surgeon just like the rest of the guys who are on the recommended list. He's been a physician's assistant for years and has been in the industry for 20+ years. It is valid to tell people he's not an MD, and Joe certianly doesn't claim to be an MD, but to say he's as qualified as the guy working at Dunkin Donuts is ridiculous. I think very highly of Joe after he did my last surgery and it just angers me to see people who know nothing about him trash him as though he is unqualified. People should make up their own minds, but in my opinion Joe should be someone any prospective patient should consider in making their decision.

In response to the critics, if Joe is doing better work the the M.Ds I think it makes sense he can do this. The criticism goes to the medical industry and no one else.

I would prefer to have my work done with someone though where if in the middle of my surgery I stop breathing or have a heart attack that my Ht Dr. at least knows CPR and I live verses a great head of hair prepared for the coffin!

Are there any medical standards for performing hair transplant surgery? You have a qualified physician with credentials such as Dr. Bernstein MD who is a dermatologist surgeon performing this surgery. Now you want to lower the bar to let non medical people as Dr. Greco perform the same surgery?

It would be nice to see some of the doctors on this site comment on this topic.

Yeah, people should know the truth. He may be a great HT person with lots of experience but not an MD. You should know. Maybe Greco not being an MD doesn't bother you and maybe it does. You should still know.

Maybe at one time he did serve up doughnuts earlier on. Now that would be funny.

• 4 months later...

Based on Results;

I have seen some really nice work on "ttaco" & "Andy" from Joe Greco (they both look great !), so in terms of HT skill he seems to have a nice touch. I dont remember anyone posting that they had a traumatic experience w/him ?

Personal opinion I guess, as is the Seager group letting "Technicians" make recipient incisions ?

Like the Fox news show host Bill O'Rielly says

" We'll let the audience decide "

NW

How come on this site (the only one I'm reg. on) I hear almost nothing but good thing's about Joe Greco, but on another popular site they are so negitive ? Just odd.

And when I say neg. All the Neg. stuff is over the two letter's DR. Not about how good his work is ?

Ok just one more thing, all the people on this site with horror story's about bad HT's and scarring, it was all done by DR.'s and ,MD,s yes ?

I don't mean to sound pro Greco, I'v never used him. I'm here trying to find someone good for HT#2. But from what I learnd from HT#1 was that the letter's DR. didn't help me the first time...And yes I know Dr. isn't just letter's it's the schooling behind it, but it still didn't help me...

[This message was edited by billorbob on April 11, 2003 at 06:45 PM.]

Billorbob,

I have never heard on any board from a patient of Greco's who was unhappy. As you said, the bashers are the ones who say he is not an MD. Being an MD does not make you a great HT surgeon. And while I understand it's a concern and an issue, he has an MD on staff (Dr. Wall) all day long at his clinic, which I believe is required by law.

ttaco, so is it DR.wall that does the donor area ? And if so how good are his closeing skill's ? How is your scar ? I don't think I saw a pic of it.

No, Greco excises the donor area and makes the all the graft incisions.

I will try to take a pic of my donor area this week when I take my 8 month post op pics. Keep in mind it was previously harvested for the mini/micro punch grafts I had in the mid-90's. I can't really see the scar from the strip surgery with Joe, and I don't keep my hair very short and I'm not always searching for it.

Yea, I know what you mean. The Scar isn't a big deal for me either. Befor I got a HT I made shure to buzz and shave my head so that I know for fact that I have to have hair, I'm real ugly that way so I'm getting HT. because I want and need hair not so I can shave my head.

But you still don't want the scar to be so bad that you have to grow your hair down to your shoulder's..LOL

ttaco, your results look great!

I have to admit that the whole MD thing would make me a little nervous though. The other thing that I noticed when looking at website is that he apparently uses a multi-bladed knife, which is out dated. On his credentails page, he has a video called "Multiple Uses of the Multiple Blade Knife". Also on the procedures page, it says that he takes 2 strips. I may be wrong about his use of the multi blade, but I don't want anything to do with them. I'd check that out if you're planning a surgery with him.

ts808, I went to the web site and saw what you were talking about.

Two donor scar's. I don't get that. Why does he do that ? Thank's for pointing this out.

Yes, he does use a multi bladed knife (3 blades I think), and he takes two 5 mm strips instead of one 1 cm strip. I did not have 2 scars though as it is still one "area" that is closed up. I'll try to get a donor area pic up this week, I need someone to take it for me.

I certainly understand the apprehension about the multi blade as most docs don't use it. Maybe he's done it in a way that works better for him, I'm not sure. I was surprised how many FU's he was able to take from my previosuly harvested (punch grafts) donor area. He is good about replying to e-mails so if you ask him why he uses it I'm sure he will give you his reasoning.

I thought that a multi bladed knife causes a higher transection rate. This is important because your donor hair is a finite amount.