Nanogen Pix:

Here are some pics of some recently applied nanogen; the results are completely typical, and, in fact, I didn't even really tweak the application like I normally do for touch-ups. I also did not use any dermmatch prior, which can be utilized for maximum thickness and ability to style.

I will post some "pre-ops", as well, as brutal as they may be, but I'm going out tonight, so alas I must venture out nano'ed up. But, can check out some my pre-HT pics on my weblog until I get around to posting some mug shots w/o concealer.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

would have been a lot more helpful if you would have shown your hair without concealers...on a side night you look like u have no balding at allw with it on.

~im getting a hair transplant in 2012 when im 25~

Some pre-concealer pics would be great for a true comparison. Not quite sure how much growth you have right now, but looks like a good head of hair from here.

How long does the recipient hair have to be for nanogen to be effective? I have stubble right now and not sure if it would work for me.

Good to hear that you are living life, have fun tonight!

Here are some pre-concealer pics (in addition to those in my weblog):

**I will post all 4, though only 2 really show the true flavor of my losses; the others might give some additional perspective, though.

-----------

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

its752 -- Nanogen is basically a keratin fiber(s)....the explanation that I use, which may or may not be totally accurate, is that by latching onto your hair shafts, it is as if you are exponentially increasing your hair count. As for the best way to thicken hair 8months post-op, a 1-2 punch of dermmatch followed by nanogen is by far the best, IMO.

Repo -- the recipient area as to be longer for the nano, than for say dermmatch, as far as I am concerned. With stubble dermmatch would be your best bet; however, your hair doesn't have to be that long for nano to work....say ~1 inch, I'd guesstimate.

-----------

Without thy ol' faithful Nanogen I am but a miserly balding bozo, seeping through the cracked pavement of life in a state of hermetic angst.

With the Nanogen -- let alone Nano + Dermmatch -- it is like snorting a bowling lane worth of coke, from what people tell me.... icon_wink.gif

-----------

Air, I use "medium brown" color.

Just2, it def withstands wind blow, particularly after I spray some of the "holding mist" after application. I sweat a tremendous amount when I exercise, and I almost always have concealer in my mop, and it doesn't run or anything like that.

The dermmatch is virtually waterproof; the nano I ran some personal tests on to see how it holds up in "conditions of duress"....I soaked my scalp and it looked fine....I then took a white towel and vigorously rubbed my scalp....at this point, remnants of the nanogen did appear on the towel, but my mop *still* looked solid.

My "master plan", fwiw, is to end up utilizing the nano where it actually works *best* -- the vertex/crown. I'm strongly considering frontloading my grafts, and going for strategic coverage in my crown, utilizing the nano in that area. One, it works even better there than the frontal 1/3rd, let alone the hairline....two, it is much easier to apply (though it only takes me ~2minutes right now, including touchups)....three, one would not really have to ever worry about someone massaging their fingers through their hairline, especially if it was damp, and some of the fibers rubbing off onto their hands.

(In such a scenario I would prolly' offer up some reasoning to the extent of "Oh ya, I use a very non-permanent hair product that serves as a type of hair dye....sometimes it can rub off"....one very good thing about concealers is that they are cloaked in a great deal of secrecy, and the general pop just has no clue.)

-----------

Your best bet for such short hair would be dermmatch, imo. I can't say for sure how well nano will work on a guard 2/3; it wouldn't surprise me if it did work, however.

-----------

Than! You are a master concealer for sure. Your Nonogen work looks great. Do you have any experience with Nanogen Vs. Toppik. I've used Toppik and it works great for me. I'd definitely be open to trying Nanogen though. In the next few months I hope to not use any as I'm sure you are too.

Yeah Than,

your mastery and talent w/the fiberous clay is reminescent of Picasso in his romantic period.

you should buy a berret, grow a stache, wear a red-striped shirt and overalls, take up chain smoking, drinking bottles of red all day long, eating eggs for dinner, sleepless nights concentrating on your next work of hair art, and open a

Nanogen Salon!!!

It will be the first of it's kind, as billions of balding men will line up at your door awaiting the master artist to exercise his skills on their mops!!! They will walk in w/a few wispy hairs and walk out looking like Hasselhoff & Collin Farell...you will make billions and will be recognized as the great hair artist of our generation...ht's will be rendered useless, and your hair art will be displayed in the finest of galleries across the globe... icon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

don't forget the lil people!

Your pics with Nanogen do look good. I don't use concealers but used dermatch briefly while recovering from HT #2.

Do you have any issues with Nanogen in bright lighting, or flourescent indoor lighting? I've heard of guys using Toppik that have mentioned these conditions are harsh on those type concealers and that it's evident something's up.

Just curious - thanks.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Good to see you around Hairbank! Great question by the way.

Thana--did you use a case of nanogen? I have experimented with toppik but never really knew when to stop dumping it on my head. I could understand being in a club or somewhere dark but I would be worried about bright lights as Hairbank pointed out. My buds if they suspected anything would be giving it the flammable test for sure.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

wow thana thanks for posting the prenanogen pics. dude i was having a freak out moment trying to figure out if those were from the same day, with the nanogen u seriosuly look perfect. i was so amazed teh difference of the pre-nano and then having it on. awesoem job dude looks great.

yu remind me of a good friend of mine lol

~im getting a hair transplant in 2012 when im 25~

Thana,

The pics look great and you definetly are doing a great job applying the products. I tried using some Toppik yesterday on my front 1/3 and it looks fake. I guess the hair just isn't long enough yet. I also tried dermmatch and it looks like paint on my scalp. Any suggestions?

Just got back from the bank, in an attempt to seduce the woman assigned to me with my nanogen-laden locks, and get her to give me a good rate on a loan for my Nanogen Salon.... icon_razz.gif

Flyby -- initially, I was a toppik user, which I used in conjunction with dermmatch....I just didn't feel it worked well enough alone, given the state of my hair loss. I gave nano a whirl after doing a lot of research into it, and was blown away by the results immediately. But ya, hopefully we will both be free from the concealer in due time!

Hairbank -- good question....def no issues in bright lighting....I've had one experience with glaring, flourescent indoor lighting, and I asked my friend if he saw anything peculiar ("I think I got all this hair wax still visible in my hair, ya see anything...?") and he said "no"...however, in full disclosure, I happened to use very little nano that go around, as I was dermmatched up. I did have a problem though with toppik -- results aside -- with flourescent/bright lighting!

NN -- I had a similiar problem to you when I used toppik...it was difficult to tell when to stop "dumping it"...with the nano, however, it latches onto the hair shafts so well, I get a great sense for how much I need to use. I would guess I use 8 shakes....next time I apply I'm going to count though, but I think 8 is a good number.

I'd also mention that one of my good friends is....*incredibly* blunt.....and loves to get a rise out of people, jokingly ridicule, etc....if he knew I was putting "makeup" or anything like that into my hair he would be all over me like white on rice, no joke.

Jupiter -- thx...it is a pretty startling difference...the nano really works best for thinned hair, not baldspots...at the same time, you can see how ruthlessly thinned my frontal 1/3rd is, yet I can still achieve impressive-looking density....considering it works best on the crown/vertex, I'm fairly hopefull that I'll be able to conquer MPB when it affects those regions, and get by until I get another HT and it grows in! Btw, your friend use nano also??? icon_wink.gif

Repo -- hmmm....I would definitely say to give nano a try...I really have found it be a superior product to toppik...for sure, toppik works great for some, but it just didn't work that well for me....it could be that your hair isn't long enough too...I would try the following: apply the dermmatch, and make sure to not wet the applicator (not sure if you're doing this or not).....apply moresoe to the hairs themselves, and only lightly graze your scalp....direct your hairs, centering them a bit, and going forward...then sprinkle on some nanogen....2 shakes at a time, and re-evaluating. Looking at your HT pics, I think there is way for you to pull it off....

Also, I'd highly recommend using the "hairline optimizer", which toppik sells, and I think def helps achieve a natural-looking hairline. Bottomline though, concealers are a mixed bag -- in terms of how they can look, but also dependency...I look so radically different w/ and w/o that I virtually cannot be seen by so many different people w/o them.....I made a somewhat-joking, but truthful post a while back about my experiences being a man bound to the concealer......

An imperfect solution, but I think it is very sound for people really struggling with hairloss, and either can't yet get a HT, and/or are trying to bridge the gaps in time between getting one and having it grow in....

-----------

Thana - thanks for the detailed instructions. I just placed my order for the nanogen, so I'll give it a shot when it comes in. As for the dermmatch, I've been applying it wet and I have found that applying it when it is dry, is quite hard. Any suggestions? I'm going to try and work the Toppik in with the dermmatch for now and see what results I get.

repo!

my hairloss is pretty similar to yours, so maybe my regimen of toppik & dermmatch should work for you icon_smile.gif

I wait for my hair to dry off completely after which I start off with a half a cup of rogaine. Must say that rogaine acts as a mousse as well. I then let it dry & apply the dermmatch using a slightly wet applicator. too much of the dermmatch will make your scalp look like its painted!

Once this dries up I sprinkle toppik fibers & then brush my hair. Rogaine does hold the toppik fibers in place. Since I comb my hair to the front I do have slightly longer hair. This works like a charm for me & covers up most of my baldness.

Maybe with the Toppik spray maximizer it will spray better at the front and also using the hairline optimizer?

I cant decide to try Toppik or Nanogen!

Toppik website looks more professional and more info then Nanogen, haha!

Toppik is more well known also ...

The pics look great and you definetly are doing a great job applying the products. I tried using some Toppik yesterday on my front 1/3 and it looks fake. I guess the hair just isn't long enough yet. I also tried dermmatch and it looks like paint on my scalp. Any suggestions?