How do your coworkers/ extended families/ friends generally react to your hair transplant

JacobS

Do you share your transplant experience with others or do you keep it quiet?

Any interesting reactions to a person who has not had hair on the top of their heads for years and relatively suddenly you are starting to sprout hair? From adults and kids ( who are most observant).

Do you ever get the 'somnething is different, but I'm not sure what' reaction?

It is always obvious when someone is looking at my hair, mid stream through conversation their eyes start to drift to top of head. Does that happen?

I have not had my transplant yet, however I would be most interested in experience of others so that I can prepare my self mentally. Not talking about the initial month but more so 4/ 6/ 12 months after.

J Wood Your experience would be most interesting. From your photos ( 4 month/ 6 month). http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Gallery/guest_gallery.asp?offset=12

Your's is a dramatic ( and most positive) change

to your appearance. Especially the 4 month photo. Life changing experience no doubt. Sorry to single you out however I think your response would be most interesting.

Appreciate your responses.

Do you share your transplant experience with others or do you keep it quiet?

Any interesting reactions to a person who has not had hair on the top of their heads for years and relatively suddenly you are starting to sprout hair? From adults and kids ( who are most observant).

Do you ever get the 'somnething is different, but I'm not sure what' reaction?

It is always obvious when someone is looking at my hair, mid stream through conversation their eyes start to drift to top of head. Does that happen?

I have not had my transplant yet, however I would be most interested in experience of others so that I can prepare my self mentally. Not talking about the initial month but more so 4/ 6/ 12 months after.

J Wood Your experience would be most interesting. From your photos ( 4 month/ 6 month). http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Gallery/guest_gallery.asp?offset=12

Your's is a dramatic ( and most positive) change

to your appearance. Especially the 4 month photo. Life changing experience no doubt. Sorry to single you out however I think your response would be most interesting.

Appreciate your responses.

For some reason I didn't hide my transplant from my co-workers. No one has teased me about it, and most think it's cool. If it looks good in the end they'll be impressed, only if it turns out crappy does it become a problem. On the contrary I haven't told some of my friends. I'm not sure why but it was just easier to explain it to certain people.

I told so many folks at work when I had it done that I think they forgot about it as it started to grow. I also grew a goatee around the time of the surgery then shaved it, but kept the moustache for a while, and then shaved it. With all the facial hair changes, people who I see more infrequently kept saying "Somethings different..." but no one mentioned my hair.

You have to remember, it's not like the hair comes in overnight. It is so gradual that the folks who see you on a daily basis really don't notice.... until they have the opportunity to see before HT photos and then they are stunned. Or at least that's the way it has worked for me thus far.

I get a lot less people looking at the top of my head now than when I had the ugly grafts sticking up prior to this latest surgery. In case you aren't familar with my situation, look here under Mr. T's 5 month post-op photos

Mr. T

I've kept my HT a secret, and only my mom knows (who of course was supportive). I DEFINITELY had the "eyes floating to the top of my head" happen during conversations with people. Pre-HT, I noticed it ALL the time.

Since my HT grafts were put into already existing hair area and the growth just steady and gradual, I dont think anyone has really noticed anything. I'm around 7 months post-op, and those upward looks have definitely disappeared...in fact, I cant remember the last person I caught doing it. It's a great feeling of relief.

i havent told everyone, just close buddies and sisters.

very supportive, and basically think its cool that i did it

i dont think i will tell everyone because just not my style i guess.

Its OK to tell, because everyone can emphathize. I think those with full hair, including women, would be horrified if they lost their hair. So it seems like a reasonable thing to do so no one should fault you. The only people who might pose a problem are angry bald men, LOL!

I dont think all plastic surgery falls under this category. I think it might be harder for a woman to explain breast/lip/whatever implants. That can be considered vanity. This is just restoring a fraction of what was there before.

i have not had an HT yet. Though, I will definetly not tell anyone. it's none of their business. if people notice hair growth, then i'll just tell them that i've been using rogaine icon_wink.gif. that should throw them off track.

also, i actually have a scar on top of my head. i got it when i was younger. it's about 2 inches long by 2 mm wide. the existing hair covers it well and no one has ever commented about it

Mr T:

Your case shows that when you do something that is CLEARLY positive and gives you a great result, people will be supportive in general. Why? Because people want to be around good looking people. Simple enough. You had uncool hair and now you have good hair. I'd be really surprised if people weren't generally supportive of you.

The ends justify the means.

JacobS:

Oh yes. I follow the eyes quite a bit now. I hear the "I hardly recognized you" from people I haven't seen for a while. And another favorite, "Wow, you have hair."

All I can do is smile and say, "yeah". No one, save one, has ever pressed me for answers. I guess they figure it doesn't matter. I used to be pitied for my hair, and now, it actually can look great with my face.

People tend to not question success as much as they'll question failure. I think that is DEFINITELY a true statement.

I'm 10 months post op. I didn't "square temples" or lower my hairline (did recreate it in places, though). The effect is a lot of glances upward from those I know (it doesn't bother me, go ahead and look) and a lot of smiles and handshakes from those I don't know.

Before, I got the glances upward from those I didn't know. Great first impression.

There are days when I think, "what if I didn't do this?". And there are far, far more days where I say, "Thank God I did this."

I'll take any awkwardness being proactive with my hairloss creates rather than the awkwardness I endured by not doing anything about it.

Some people just need hair. icon_smile.gif

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

-- If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

-- The truth only matters if you know about it.

If a guy doesn't get really excellent HT work done, he probably won't have to bother explaining that he got a HT to people... they'll be able to tell.

They may very well be kind enough not to discuss it with you, just like they might be kind enough not to bring up (for example) your sister's drinking problem or your messy divorce.

But they will probably know.

Be careful and choose wisely.

JacobS -

Thanks for the kind words. It does seem to be a dramatic change from the pictures I posted. But, it's nothing near as dramatic as what actually happened.

First, I regretably started wearing a hairpiece about 8 years ago. Talk about an overnight change at work. And, I fell for the - maybe they won't even notice - thing.

It's pretty easy to con yourself really. Anyhow, the next most obvious switch was tossing out the wig after about 4-5 months post op.

Believe me - those two things make growth after surgery on your regular scalp seem like a rash on Custer's butt compared to Little Big Horn.

The gigantic realization for me - and should be for everyone out there is that NO ONE CARES! Really -- after the first recognition, if any, that you have anything done -- you are close enough to tell them, or you leave it alone. The result's the same, everyone seems to forget about it within days of ever noticing the change.

Try to picture someone at work losing a bunch of weight quickly, or something similar. You might jump out with 'Wow! you look great'. But, a week later and it's mostly forgotten.

So, don't even give it a second thought. No matter how dramatic the shift, just tough it out for a week and enjoy.

My Pix and Hair Mentor page with advice on Choosing a Doc, anti-swelling and healing advice

I decided early on that I would be completely open about it with my friends, who I see all the time. It has been a very good decision. They have been very curious and extremely supportive. I'm glad I chose to be open about it because they have been so helpful, from driving me to and from the doctor's office, to helping me remove the stiches to taking periodic photos. I guess I could have found ways around all that without telling anyone, but I figured it's too much bother anyway. I tend to be very open and honest with people anyway.

With my family, who I have not seen since it's been done, I doubt I can get away with not telling them, since I have an identical twin. When you have a side by side comparison standing right next to you, it's kind of hard to deny something drastic has been done. But I won't see them until Christmas, so I have time to work on my explanation.

Tedd

theofani~Ha ha good one. icon_wink.gif

I honestly believe its no one's business except immediate friends and family.You may also throw someone a curve and say your been using Rogaine or Propecia which tend to be the truth.If coworkers or neighbors aren't losing their hair,then chances are they probably don't know or haven't done the research on what an HT is all about or preventative drugs like finastride.....................you do the math!

haha -- my friends know I did something. Let them ponder about what it exactly was. Being a little evasive is all part of the gamesmanship. Let me say, "oh, I just grew it longer" and see if they press. Build the intrigue.

And let's say you've been hitting the weight pile hard core. You're about 4 weeks in and the big arms, great posture, and abs are starting to show a bit.

Then the question: "Have you been working out?"

The answer (MUST BE): "Oh, just a little off and on."

Great answer. You sort have explained that you know you look better and really offered no details. Golden! And other people KNOW it, too!

Haha, you know I claim to say "I'll be honest". But I've already lied. Lots of little white ones. And nobody seems to mind or whatever. Let them talk if they do mind. Can't take away the result!

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

-- If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

I have a great time with people whom I don't really know well that I must deal with at work. I work in a place that requires a picture id badge for all employees. Well, the picture on my badge is pre-transplant and of course I now have much hair!!! My friends at work have asked/told me to go get a new badge made. I was going to do so initially, but I enjoy those times when I meet someone who doesn't really know me or who doesn't know that I've had a transplant. It's fun watching them trying to be sly as their eyes dart back and forth, first, looking at my old badge picture and then my new hair line. And this isn't just a one time glance, it's a multiple darting back and forth thing. (I find it rather humorous) I've only had a few people ask me about the difference. For those that ask, I tell them the story. Everyone of them has done a inspection of my hair/hairline and was impressed. Had one girl asked who did the work because she wanted to tell her brother about it. If the person doesn't ask, I don't tell them a thing, normally. Although I have asked them if there was something on my forehead to let them know I notice their "sly" glances, LOL>

Allen

In my opinion the best thing about my HT is that I never notice people doing the hairline glance anymore. I hated those subtle looks. It's amazing how people just seem to forget that they used to check your hairline. No one has asked me anything, and I think that thankfully I did my HT at exactly the right time before my loss became too noticeable.

Good luck.

Manko

Hi. Personally speaking, I was fortunate enough to both have enough coverage and to get a great result from the Seager Hair Centre. They were excellent at transplanting hair into my thinning scalp.

I took a few weeks off for the surgery and when I returned to work, not one person could tell that I had anything done. The hair started to grow uniformly and I shaved off my goattee at the same time. Not one person noticed a thing and the only comments that I received were that I was growing my hair longer and that I had shaved my beard, which I had for over 20 years.

For the folks that had not seen me for some time, while they knew my hair looked fuller and longer, not one person mentioned hair transplantation as a possibility for the present great look. The result is so natural that, even when others stare and look (and some will) that they cannot detect anything but a very natural hair line that appears completely surgery-free.

The only ones that know about my surgery to date, are my wife and children who have been completely supportive of me throughout the research stage, decision making, surgery and growth process.

Thank God for supportive family.

auguststart:

that post hits home because I have 2 ideas pre-HT were I really look bald as hell.

I remember with one of them, someone I knew saw it and says, "wow, that really shows your bald spot awesome". Whatever, hater.

I know that this will tell you a little bit about me, possibly more than needs to be said, but it is true that I sometimes find myself staring at my work ID and saying, "How the hell did I manage to live like that?"

But you know why I think I do that? Because that is when, more clearly than any other time, tell myself, "My god, I have been given another shot. A do-over. And I can't mess it up."

Because even at NW2, the pity that some instantly felt for me is gone. They are giving me a shot now that I just didn't have. It's not in your head. It's real.

I'm not talking about suicide or severe depression. Just the realization that "this is the way it is" pre-HT. If that bothers you as it did me, I guess HT is something you have to consider.

As much as I'm glad that I did the HT, at times I wish I hadn't felt the need to. Hopefully, that doesn't sound strange to people here.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power