H&W or Epstein?

They both do great work. You may benefit from a large# of grafts. H&W are known to push the envelope in terms of session size, although Epstein may have this abilty too.

Keep looking at patient results and calling clinics until it feels right. I called Epstein's office when I was first researching clinics.

From my research both are excellent. Where are you located? I know geography is on down the list but if you're in Central or South Florida, H&W are a long ways away; and you'd fly over some excellent docs on the way. Just my opinion.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

I myself haven't seen much repair work from either, though I am sure they are both very much capable, as they are excellent clinics. I would inquire to both and ask them to show you a sampling of repair work, and ask them their specific thoughts on your situation. In fact, I would do this with multiple Coalition clinics that you have an inkling towards, or that are close by to you.

At the risk of sounding like a cheerleader, I've seen some very impressive repair work from Feller floating around the net, and I know he has taken on some very difficult cases. Take that for whatever it's worth. Shapiro, as well, I have seen and heard very good things regarding repair work.

I am sure there are other excellent docs that are experienced in repair, but from my personal experiences in research, that is what I've gleaned. I honestly don't know who is the best, but you can't go wrong digging into various clinics that are 1st rate and seeing which ends up making the most sense to you!

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Hi D3,

Both docs are top notch, I had my procedure with Dr. E and I do remember, when I was in consultation with him, that a good number of patients go to him for repair work. as djd mentioned, his site displays some examples.

You can ask him for specific samples if you have not already done so.

HIGA

2400 Grafts with Dr. Epstein 11/8/06

Nizoral 3X/week

Rogaine foam 2x/day

Dr. Wong is a practical guy money wise. He knows how expensive HTs are and will work with you for a reasonable price for a reasonable area of your hair. Its works both ways, so be prepared to compromise a bit for that.

Originally posted by dakota3:

Who's better w/ repair work? who does better recipient closures? Any other suggestions besides these 2 for those 2 questions

BTW, that doesn't look like all that bad of a job from the previous tp. Mine was in 1991 and it looks worse, and I've thought mine was ok for the time.

I think a world-class surgeon could do wonders for you.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Thanks guys. I have had a face to face consult w/ DR.E and he's a great guy and gave me realistic expectations. I also talked to Mike, a consultant from H&W and he was a little more blunt about things w/ me concerning other clinics and what he thinks i may need. To be honest he was a very nice guy, but i didnt quite know how to take him. I've visited both DR E's and H&W's sites and they both do great work from what i can tell. I would be interested in getting some replies from people who have had HT's w/ either one of these guys.

BTW Dewayne.. The picture that i posted was 1yr after the HT and none of it grew. Thats what i get for going to Bosley. I know better this time. Thanks Again!!!

Dakota3

Whatever you do....don't rush.

I liked Epstein.

He was a straight shooter....no BS sales.

He's fully booked because he's one of the best...tells you what he thinks...and leaves it up to you to think about.

We all have different needs as patients.

I just felt Epstein's approach was for me.

If you care to share...what did the Docs you visited so far think you need in terms of graph count ect. ??

MH

Dakota,

I went through a long search before deciding on Epstein. It is very likely you will get a higher yield from Hasson because they are more aggressive in the amount of tissue they remove, but hopefully Doctor Epstein gave you a decent graft estimate. He underestimated on me and I was happy he could get more than he said he could!!

I also spoke with Mike and he was a bit of a saleman type but I had spent so much time reviewing Hasson's results on the forums that I did not doubt what Mike was telling me.

DR.E and H&W are the only 2 consults iv'e had. Im from N.H and had traveled down to DR. E in NY for the consult. He had said i need about 2200 grafts, but considering i did not want to extend the lentgh of my original scar he said he could get about 1750 out of it. My biggest concern beleive it or not is to make the scar look a little better. with the following procedure i would propably go a little more aggressive.

djdennis.. How are things going so far? How does the scar look/feel?

more_hair/condoguy.. are you guys completly happy w/ dr.E's work?

this question may not be able to be answered but..All things being equal (same # of grafts etc) which doctor seems to be able to make the most cosmetic differance?

Dakota3

The last thing I am is a doctor...but I'll tell ya what i feel is correct...some other guys/docs may also jump in here.

From what i understand if you have a past donor scar that needs repair....the following procedure can repair it.

I will tell you that i'm only 3 1/2 months post-op and my donor scar looks awesome.

It's basically pencil line thin and white making it hardly detectable....think what it's going to look like in a year.

It's funny how in front of my eyes it went from red to pink to white.

It's really to early to give full review of my recipient area...but so far things are growing already and friends of mine have commented on how natural it looks...including my barber.

My barber has looked at many past "jobs" and said it's the best scar he's ever seen.

I'm curious why don't you want to extend the scar ??

If Dr.Epstein suggests you need 2200 graphs...in my opinion...get them.

My scar length went from the top of one ear all the way around to the top of the other.

As long as it's in the safe zone...who cares??

Also I'm a little confused.

You said this procedure you don't want to extend the scar...but you also said you want to go more aggressive this time.

Curious what you mean.

MH

More_hairs

Sorry i wasnt more clear about that. What i meant is that this next time i dont want to extend the length of the scar because until the hair starts to grow in i will keep my hair really short. Then after this procedure i will choose to go more aggressive on the next (3rd) one. Dr. E said he cant make any promises on making the scar look better, but i feel as though he just doesnt want to give a false sense of hope. Sounds like he under promises and over delivers. Thats good!

You are correct.

Epstein is real down low and cool.

The last thing he does is jump around his office and tell you what you want to hear.

I liked that about him.

I'm still a bit confused....but some that know me say that's pretty common....lol

Where are you on the Norwood scale ??

MH

Im really not sure about my nw scale. im a diffuse thinner. thin on the whole top of my head but not completley bald anywhere yet! i added a pic during my original post so maybe you can tell me. sorry about the confusion!

No problem.

I would stick very close to what the docs suggest.

Your hair is very short...kinda hard to see current coverage.

If you've had past work I'm sure Dr.Epstein has the correct approach for this and future work.

Alot of variables like donor density,scalp tightness,and age all weigh in very heavily in all cases.

The great thing is you should go on as many consults as you can.

This will give you a real good picture of your situation.

MH

Dakota im pretty good!!! I had the dissolvable sutures and the scar seems to be good. I read that people had numbness on there donor area for awhile. I had all my senses back in just about 10 days. The scar takes awhile to heal,but no complaints. I see you are from New Hampshire. Did Dr. E let you meet one of his patients?

Yeah Dr. E does seem to go lower with grafts but he looks at the more practical side,but not as conservative as some other docs. He is in the middle. He told me 2300 to 2400 grafts, but pulled out 2953. So it goes to show you about him that he will go lower not to get your hopes up to high and then gives a joy shocker at least to me. He does go a little higher on the donor scar compared to others but thats the safe zone and you as dr.E states that the hairs are nice there lol. Im just in the waiting stage im almost at the 2 month stage with no shockloss and I pretty much still have almost all my new hts still in place. I guess its rare,but the doc said thats not bad either.

djdennis,

No i have not met any patients but would like to. Did Dr. E charge you for the extra grafts? I've done alot of research and have narrowed it down to DR.E and H&W. I think this time i'm more concerned about the scar and trying to conceal it as much as possible, and considering DR.E is a plastic surgeon as well it makes him a very good option. He's also cheaper than H&W which is always good. I Do wonder if doc's price match eachother or if they are just all set in their prices??? Glad to hear that your doing so well though!

Hey Dakota, I flew to his office in Miami because he gives a better deal and all of his techs are there. I also did my ht Feb 7th 2008 which is the slower season for him and he gave me a good deal of $3.30 per graft. I was expected to get 2300 grafts and around 100 free grafts in total of 2400. Then any graft over the 100 free grafts was going to be $2 per graft. 1ST I did not waste the mans time or energy. I liked his website and saw all his great reviews and decided from chatting with him for a little while and doing alot of research that he was the doc for me. He actually gave me 653 free grafts,because he pulled out extra and we talked about a 2nd surgery for touchups in the future. So he looked at it from a business prospective and that I paid him cash lol!!! Each Doc is different on there prices and Dr. E has one of the best per graft prices out there with quality work. I did not get to meet any of his patients. Ask him if there are any of his patients in your area and he told me he had guys all around New England and Im outside South of Boston,but never asked to meet with a patient. I was pretty confident in him because he is a straight shooter. That really proved it to me when he told me 2400 grafts and then got 2953 grafts. He will go lower not to get your hopes up and if he is able he will pull out a rabbit out of a magic hat.

Thats great! I actually had a tentative appt scheduled w/ him for the 28th of Feb, but my cat got really sick and the vet bill cost me an arm and a leg, not to mention more hair. LOL. As much as it killed me to have to push back the surgery, my old lady would of killed me if i chose to get a HT before taking care of my pet. Im getting closer to my decision and saving my money. Im not sure where they get their #'s for charging, but maybe they like you more, because i was given a price of $4.15 per graft.LOL. Thats still below what most surgeons are charging. Im glad to hear your doing so well!

No Im sure thats not the case. How are your negotiating skills? Plus I went in feb and they told me that was the slower season and if I wanted to do it later it would be more (around your price line) So I took the discount days and booked right away. Are you going to his New York Ofiice? I also was 99% sure just from talking to him from my phone and sending him pics so that he could see my norwood scale and what approach he was thinking? His approach was exactly what I was thinking and I knew he was doing it without even meeting him,but I did want to meet him in person so he could see my lax area and density quality in person. He got me about 90% per cm which is really good. Dakota you really need to feel comfortable with a doctor who will give you real expectations so you wont walk out dissapointed. Do you have pics up so I can see your situation. Remember this was my 1st ht and I have never had any repair work done. I think you would be in good hands and maybe they charge a little more on repair work than a guy who is going in for his 1st ht. HERE IS A QUESTION FOR THE MEN OF THE SITE. DO DOCS CHARGE MORE FOR REPAIR WORK?