$2.00 per Graft by Dr. Richard Giannotto

Insecure

• 2 weeks later...

"I have seen and I am troubled by many people on the Internet going to Family Practice, Internal Medicine, Dermatologist, ER and other specialty doctors and also Physicians with DO degrees.

My Best advice is to go to a US Board Certified Surgeon in whatever field that also has an MD degree.

This HT Field is not well regulated as yet, so many Primary Care Physicians and DOs are trying to fulfill their desire to become a surgeon by doing these procedures and making lots of money with no formal training. Please ask the HT physician, after medical school, what specialty did they do their residency in, if it was not Surgery leave and find a Real Surgeon. "

I stand by my original statement above.

I met with a surgeon, and observed the work presented to me at his office. I am not endorsing anyone. Many other MD Surgeons (the only ones truely qualified to do surgery) impressed me as well, but due to my location and limited resources I went for the $2.00 per graft in Atlanta. Most of you seem affluent and can afford paying alot more. Sorry for not having alot of money and wanting a hair transplant I can afford from a REAL Surgeon. I'm still in training in the medical field and if I was making alot more money, I would go to the best MD Surgeon in Beverly Hills.

I'm just suggesting that its best to have surgery by someone that is a Medical Doctor (MD, behind his/her name), a Surgeon (someone who completed a residency in surgery) and also board certified in Surgery.

For the few here that I upset, if you feel comfortable letting a primary care doctor (who also treats your runny nose and headache) or a doctor with a DO degree(AKA Chiropractor in the UK and does alternative medicine)or a physician assistant or nurse practioner, put a Scalpel to your head then that is YOUR choice.

I personally only want someone with an MD degree, who is also a US board certified Surgeon, to do any Surgery on me.

DA

I'm sure the forum would love for you to post various pre-op, intra-op, immediate post-op, and grown out pictures of your surgery; also, would even better would be if you or your real surgeon got around to posting some other pictures so we could get another glimpse of what a real surgeon can do.

"I'm still in training in the medical field and if I was making alot more money, I would go to the best MD Surgeon in Beverly Hills."

Seriously, though, I'm not saying this disparagingly, moresoe as a helpful fact in the event that you aren't some shill....that above statement of yours shows a great deal of ignorance regarding HTs. Results, and consistent results, of the highest order is all anyone should want, and is all that really matters. Show me an expensive *****MD****** in bev hills and I'll show you a nice scalp reduction.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Insecure,

What you have to understand is that we are all here to provide as much help as we can. Apparently your ignorance is blinding you. There are many DO's in the US that are top notch surgeons and the title of MD does not at all guarantee anything. Surprising for such an educated individual you can be so naiive.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Insecure,

I personally only want someone with an MD degree, who is also a US board certified Surgeon, to do any Surgery on me.

This is fine. You are entitled to your preferences and opinion and are welcome to share it.

Many other MD Surgeons (the only ones truely qualified to do surgery)...

However, this statement is not only incorrect but reaks of agenda. You either truly don't understand the medical profession and who is or isn't qualified to do surgery or you are advocating Dr. Giannotto (hence the seemingly blatant promotional title of this thread).

Feel free to share your opinion, but I caution you not to make blatantly false statements that reak of promotion.

If you have had surgery with Dr. Giannotto, feel free to share your experience and photos with us.

Bill

I chose Dr.Giannotto because he is a board certified Surgeon with many years experience along with a legit practice and he has never had any malpractice claims against him.

He might not have malpractices complaints but if you read reviews from some of his clients provided by the links in this thread, he sure as hell should have. Not sure I've seen the word "hacked or hacked up" used so many times when describing a Doctor's work.

The weather in the windy city is changing and I've got an extremely stopped up nose, but I can still smell the self promotion here. That's my two dollars worth...

Feel free to prove me wrong Insecure, as we are all hanging to see photos!

MbM

Insecure

New Real Hair Club Member

Posted March 02, 2008 03:49 PM Hide Post

"I have seen and I am troubled by many people on the Internet going to Family Practice, Internal Medicine, Dermatologist, ER and other specialty doctors and also Physicians with DO degrees.

My Best advice is to go to a US Board Certified Surgeon in whatever field that also has an MD degree.

This HT Field is not well regulated as yet, so many Primary Care Physicians and DOs are trying to fulfill their desire to become a surgeon by doing these procedures and making lots of money with no formal training. Please ask the HT physician, after medical school, what specialty did they do their residency in, if it was not Surgery leave and find a Real Surgeon. "

<span class="ev_code_RED">Say NO to drugs! </span>

1st HT 1-5-05 - 1894 FUT's Dr. Glenn Charles

2nd HT 12-18-06 - 1542 FUT's Dr. Glenn Charles

Total: 3436 FUT's

Current Protocol: Propecia Daily, Laser Therapy EOD 20 mins.

I met with Dr. Giannoto, before deciding to go with Dr. Cooley. I went with Dr. Cooley because of this, and a few other, websites.

Dr. G. does work at numerous places. He met with me and after hearing my goals, actually discouraged me from doing it because he felt he could not achieve the density I wanted.

Dr. Cooley did a great job, and the density is very good, I wear my hair spiked and sometimes people comment about how I am lucky to have had no hairloss. I was a nw 3 and now a 2 with a spiky doo, which, with dermmatch, looks pretty thick, and totally natural.

Starting at 5 months I went to a new hairstylist, a few months later I started dating her. She never had a clue that i had a ht.

• 4 months later...

The "total person" thing is just a catch-phrase to attract applicants to osteopathic schools, which typically do not have the backing of a major university, or the name-recognition that goes along with it.

Originally, the DO was meant to be the "small-town do-it-all" doctor. Hence the extra training in musculoskeletal manipulation. The DO training was geared to produce physicians that you could see for any number of problems, including things that could be corrected or relieved by this manipulation, kind of like you might see a chirpractor for.

Today, there is little, if any difference between the average DO and the average MD. Its pretty much the exact same thing. Same classes in med school, same residency training opportunities, and so-on.

Osteopathic schools tend to attract a lot of older applicants. People who went back to school after being out for a while. Lots of ex-paramedics, PA's, and people from completely unrelated fields who go to DO schools.

you know that the only real difference in training between a DO and an MD are that DO's are trained to use physical rehabilitation as well as pharmaceuticals to heal patients while an MD is just trained treat everything with pills. Both are trained the same in regards to surgery. I believe Dr. Feller is a DO and he is one of the best hair restoration surgeons in the world. i think the bosley surgeon who i had a consultation with was a board certified surgeon and an MD. However, i wouldn't ever let that guy touch my head.

Hatrick,

You echo my post earlier in this thread. There is no difference between MD's and DO's that should make one better qualified for hair surgery, or almost any medical field, than the other. There are great DO's and great MD's, and awful in each group too. Meeting the doctor in person, seeing some results, and getting a feel for his/her approach is far more important than a title/degree.

A title/degree may show additional training and expertise; or it may not. But if you have a gut feeling that someone with all the initials behind his name is a quack, he may well be; and if you have a good rapport with someone who doesn't have lots of initials--well, that may be who you ought to go with.

Degree's and initials should complement the entire picture, like a nice frame; but don't focus on the frame and forget to look at the artwork.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I'd like to add that I have done my research on the topic, and I am proud to say that I will be attending an osteopathic medical school very soon. I start in a month, and this is a career-change for me. I have never been more excited.

• 7 months later...

I just know that if getting your hair back and whatever procedure chosen, no one will be walking bald or trying to hide it. So, I know that doctors go along way to get their degree, but I just hope doctors will see it are way too. FUE procedure would be alot of patients choice if it wasn't so pricy.

WoW!! thanks for taking that off my list. Sorry for your outcome. Thats why I want to go with FUE procedure cause I like to wear my hair short.

Originally posted by VAHairHelp:

Is there a lawsuit against Dr. Richard Giannotto in McLean, Virginia. He made my donor area so bad that I cannot even get a decent haircut? My scar in the back is almost 2??? wide from the surgery that he has performed.

• 4 months later...

Please beware if you are considering using Dr. Giannotto and HRG for your hair transplant. The "doctor" will provide you with an attractive price per follicle but only cheat you when it comes down to the surgery. He will over-promise and under-deliver. He charged me for 2000 grafts but after the surgery I didn't see the coverage he promised. This is an unregulated industry so of course he can say that the follicles were inserted but fell out. I overheard his staff manager making rude comment about my race while in the process of being sedated as well. The doctor himself looks like he is wearing a hair piece. How about practicing what you preach and get hair implants yourself?!?! Not to mention the huge scar on the back of my head. I took a mirror and looked at the stitches before they came off. I personally have to thank the Doc for a horrible job. Overall I regret going to HRG based on my result and my experience at the "practice." If you are going to get surgery as important go with someone with a good reputation.

• 4 weeks later...

I just found this site. I wish it was around back in the 90's. I posted this same story on another thread, but it is worth repeating here. I do not recommend Dr. Richard Giannotto. I did not have a good experience with him in the mid- late 1990's. He really tells you what you want to hear, but results do not really deliver. I had somewhere in the ballpark of 1500 with him over 3 visits and they did not look very natural at all. Plus I was left with 2 separated step ladder bad scarring in the back. Quite frankly, I got a hard sell from them back in the day. I went for a consultation, and was actually considering not going through with the procedure. His office staff kept calling me with specials, threw in an offer of a limo ride to and from the clinic and "to close the deal" he even offered to do a scalp reduction for free. That moved me off the fence to going through with the procedure. Little did I know that it would be a long, arduous, and expensive journey filled with false promises and expectations. My experience with him chewed up almost 3 years of my prime years in my 20's. Not once was I ever warned of risks from Dr. G. The scalp reduction was worthless -- it simply stretched back after a few months and left me with a scar.

Finally, I went to Dr. Richard Bernstein for corrective work (approximately 3000 grafts) and he was magnificent. He eliminated the scarring, took out the unnatural looking clumps in the front, crown and temples, chopped them up into small 1 hair units and crafted a corrected soft, natural hairline. I was fortunate to have had enough donor hair to accomodate a positive corrected result. I now look like a normal 40 year old man with a natural receding hairlines and thin crown. I can cut my hair down in a "Caeser" cut with a number 3 clipper and my work is undetectable. This was never possible with the mess Dr. G. made of my head.

I would strongly recommend that you make the effort to see someone else. Take the train to see Dr. Bernstein in NYC -- it is worth the trip and expense. You don't want to continue to screw around with this. You only have a finite number of hairs for transplant once you start the process. I wish I had never started the process. I was leaning toward simply buzz cutting my hair down (I wish I could) and feel like I was cajoled into this by Dr. Dr. Richard Giannotto and his staff. Thank God for men like Dr. Bernstein. I wish I did not have to see him and spend more money to correct the issues -- but that man was worth every penny.