Staples out opinions needed?

hi all, I'm planing on having a HT done in the Ottawa this year by Rahal(haven't contacted him yet) anyways was wondering if any of you folk think its crazy to consider removing staples myself? I'll be traveling from Europe and could save plenty of cash i imagine if i return home shortly after the procedure instead of staying in a hotel waiting to get the staples removed. I'm not telling anyone about the ht so don't even want to visit the family doctor. Perhaps with a correct surgical staple remover and the help of a video camcorder hooked up to a monitor so you can see what your doing could help. Anyway its a money saving thought,i'm sure removing staples your self from the back of you head would be tricky...any suggestions would be much appreciated thanks jojo

hi all, I'm planing on having a HT done in the Ottawa this year by Rahal(haven't contacted him yet) anyways was wondering if any of you folk think its crazy to consider removing staples myself? I'll be traveling from Europe and could save plenty of cash i imagine if i return home shortly after the procedure instead of staying in a hotel waiting to get the staples removed. I'm not telling anyone about the ht so don't even want to visit the family doctor. Perhaps with a correct surgical staple remover and the help of a video camcorder hooked up to a monitor so you can see what your doing could help. Anyway its a money saving thought,i'm sure removing staples your self from the back of you head would be tricky...any suggestions would be much appreciated thanks jojo

Why don't you just fly back with the staples? Is it against international travel laws? I flew with my staple (in the states) without a problem. If you can fly home with them and then do it yourself at home or share your secret with one person so they can take them out. There is alway the possibility of receiving dissolveable sutures, if the doctor thinks it would be just as good. I would say fly back if u can with staples and take em out in the comfort of your own home.

You only live once...

I think that would be crazy from your part to do such thing unless you are qualified to do so.

You 'd better to go to a local hospital or clinic and get your staples removed by qualified persons.

You don't want to mess with that. If this is not properly performed, you might be at the risk of getting any infections

Jojo

Don't even think about a D.I.Y removal!!

I flew back from the states, and had the practice nurse at the doctors remove them for me. There are no questions asked, and obviously patient confidentiality applies!!

All the best.

Clive.

I had sutures, and didn't want to go to my family doc either.

So, I went to a walk-in clinic and they removed them very capably. $40 cash and in 15 minutes I was feeling much better. These places typically have a nurse doing the work, as was the case with mine.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

My physician gave me a disposable staple remover. It looked like a pair of scissors.

My wife is a nurse, so she did the honors.

I would surely not attempt to remove them myself.

I like the idea of paying a walk-in clinic $40 to do it. Discretion is a foremost concern of mine too.

By the looks of it, there are some people here that are as crazy as me icon_smile.gif.

It is probably best to have someone else remove your stables, however, with a tri-fold mirrors and delicate care, removing the staples yourself is not all that difficult.

Be sure however to leave the staples in as long as the doctor requires. It's for your own benefit and proper healing of the scar, minimizing the risk of scar stretching.

Bill

Hey jojo Ive from the UK too and had surgery with Rahal in April. Quick note about the sututres, there not as easy to remove as made out, i had black hair and the sutures were black too making it vey difficult to locate. I made an appointment with a nurse at my local surgery who made an attemtp to remove the sutures but couldnt (she said she hadnt seen any sutures like that before and she looked quite experienced) Ended up having to go to A&E who removed them, but i doubt you could, even if you could see the back of your head with a mirror lol

Just some info for you as a side note, i stayed 5 days, flew in straight to consultation, next day surgery, 4 nights later back on a plane to london. theres no need to stay there much more than that.

thanks for the input folks, i will prob try removing staples myself, or pop into an out of town hospital if i must cos i still want to keep the procedure as private as possible and i know i'd feel apprehensive about visiting the hospital cos theres so many young pretty hot nurses working there - but may have to, could make up a story.By the way i heard staples are better then sutures?thanks

My sutures were blue.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

" Many UK patients fly back the next day after their op - Black sutures or black Staples??

Black against black - ouch!"

I think they were sutures as they were like a thick black plasticy type thread and yes ouch was the word lol after reading about having sutures out i thought theyd be a breeze except sometimes the nurse would pull my hair and sometimes the sutures lol all part of the ht fun!

Hatrick is right and I also don't understand why you are so worried that people discover you had a HT?

Personally I don't care about having my HT or staples or anything like that. All I care is that the final outcome is a success.

yes i'll have someone else take out the staples, as someone else said they dont care who knows as long as it looks good i agee, but i'd prefer not to broadcast it and in a small village like Ballykisangel its like the old saying "everybody knows everybody's business" not that i do. Although my local doc thinks i'm pretty crazy taking finasteride i could imagine the face on her when i mention a ht - "a what?" anyways thanks again for the input, i think we'd all be like lost sheep with out this forum. icon_smile.gif

I know what you mean when you say "why do you care if someone knows you've had a ht?" I look it like having work done on your teeth like a filling or something same thing, but that said some people have yet to evolve into humans and with that said i dont care about what they think either but there the type of people i avoid etc etc