anyone suggest bosley?

livingalie

Broad statements get made directly because of the "many less than stellar reviews".

A man can walk through a "door" that he knows he can walk through and survive. A man can walk through one of 100 doors, of which he has no certainty that he will walk through and survive; the lone certainty that many if not all have chosen and failed.

Someone comes to you asking for advice and which scenario they should entertain -- which path do you vehemently caution them towards/against?

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by thanatopsis_awry:

Broad statements get made directly because of the "many less than stellar reviews".

A man can walk through a "door" that he knows he can walk through and survive. A man can walk through one of 100 doors, of which he has no certainty that he will walk through and survive; the lone certainty that many if not all have chosen and failed.

Someone comes to you asking for advice and which scenario they should entertain -- which path do you vehemently caution them towards/against?

In general terms I definitely agree but I was trying to point out that its hard to speak about Bosley specifically because you have to really speak about the doctor that would actually work on you not the corporation as a whole to have very relevant replies. icon_smile.gif

For example:

If a poster said ABC doctor at Bosley does a great job but you get XYZ doctor at Bosley than the answer really would not be relevant at all. icon_smile.gif

4374 grafts-7/2/2008-Dr Rahal

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

Want-

The problem with bosely is also transparency. The pics you are looking at in their offices could be from any doc within the organization, you have no idea about how many sessions it took to achieve that result, deceptive pics (lighting, concealer), and did that person really even have a HT at all.

They wanted to give me 1200 grafts at a NW4 and said that would be all I ever need. I would essentially have a fence of hair with open acreage behind it. I didn't know any better at the time and if it weren't for the high price I may have gone.

There may be a few good doctors, but one can never be assured which one is as they sell their product as a whole and not a sum of it's parts. You just have no idea what you are actually getting yourself into.

When doing anything life altering, one should want to know as much as possible about the doctor and the doctor should be as honest and transparent as possible. bosely is simply not and until they change that, the blanket statement here will be made. Too many guys are negatively affected still at bosely and until that changes most of us will fight to make sure guys do not go down that path.

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

Originally posted by Eman:

Want-

The problem with bosely is also transparency. The pics you are looking at in their offices could be from any doc within the organization, you have no idea about how many sessions it took to achieve that result, deceptive pics (lighting, concealer), and did that person really even have a HT at all.

They wanted to give me 1200 grafts at a NW4 and said that would be all I ever need. I would essentially have a fence of hair with open acreage behind it. I didn't know any better at the time and if it weren't for the high price I may have gone.

There may be a few good doctors, but one can never be assured which one is as they sell their product as a whole and not a sum of it's parts. You just have no idea what you are actually getting yourself into.

When doing anything life altering, one should want to know as much as possible about the doctor and the doctor should be as honest and transparent as possible. bosely is simply not and until they change that, the blanket statement here will be made. Too many guys are negatively affected still at bosely and until that changes most of us will fight to make sure guys do not go down that path.

Eman I agree 100%. I'm not advocating anybody go to Bosley. Quite the opposite. I'm stating just because 1 person has a good result with 1 Bosley doctor is no guarantee for anybody else going to Bosley because they have 100's of different doctors....maybe more. icon_smile.gif

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

Wantego, I see what you're getting at now. I think, ultimately, we all agree that it is truly Russian Roulette with your body, and with the wealth of research available and elite clinics that are transparent the decision is simple, particularly when Bosley charges premium for their "services".

If someone happens to find a Bosley doctor that has the ethics, reliability, and results of the Rahals, Fellers, H&Ws, et. al. by all means consider him.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Originally posted by thanatopsis_awry:

Wantego, I see what you're getting at now. I think, ultimately, we all agree that it is truly Russian Roulette with your body, and with the wealth of research available and elite clinics that are transparent the decision is simple, particularly when Bosley charges premium for their "services".

If someone happens to find a Bosley doctor that has the ethics, reliability, and results of the Rahals, Fellers, H&Ws, et. al. by all means consider him.

I think we are actually all in agreement here. We are basically saying the same thing in a different manner. icon_smile.gif

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

I guess I'll be far more blunt than I was in my initial post. Dude, why do you seem hell bent on going to Bosley? Most Bosley patients (like myself) are people who do not know about forums like this and the absolutely wonderful doctors who are out there that are far more skilled and HANDS ON than the docs at Bosley? So once again, I have to ask... why Bosley?

800+- Bosley NY, June 2005

1300+- Dr. Feller, December 2008

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1021

We should be on here to help and look out for each other, not to make someone feel worse about their situation.

The way Bosley functions, by definition, can NOT produce good and consistent results. At best, like Thana said, you will be playing russian roulette. I am sure there are some good doctors working at Bosley, but you will most likely have a much better chance getting a mediocre doctor. Good doctors don't stay at Bosley since they make much more money working on their own...got to pay for all the ads, admin and of course Mr.Bosley (actually he is no longer the owner of Bosley) should get his cut as well. Good doctors also don't stay because they don't want to be associated with the results of the bad doctors.Therefore with the high turnover of doctors (and mostly likely the staff as well),i personnally think that the odd of getting a bad doctor is higher than russian roulette.

Bosley is just a huge marketing machine providing sub-par results, same like Dr.Armani since he got so big and since he switched to FUE...

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Originally posted by wantego:

I really dont see how anyone can make a broad statement good or bad about Bosley. Doesnt he have hundreds of different doctors working for him? I think you would have to discuss a specific doctor there to get a valuable response. In my opinion I would pass on Bosley though. If you have made up your mind to get a HT wouldnt it make sense to go to a doctor you have seen a lot of reviews on rather than a massive corporation of doctors that have many less than stellar reviews?

The only broad statement I can say is that I got a top notch doc for much less than they wanted. Can't say much about quality cause someone i know has a good Bosley HT.

I DID THE SAME EXACT THING..MY FIRST WAS IN FEB OF O7 AND I WENT BACK FOR A SECOND ONE MARCH OF O8..LISTEN,DONT WORRY..ITS TRUE BOSLEY DOES TAKE A LOT OF HEAT ON THIS FORUM AND IF I WOULD HAVE KNOWN ABOUT THIS FORUM I WOULD HAVE CHECKED OUT DIFFERENT DRS..

WITH THAT, MY HAIR DID GROW IN AND IT DOES LOOK COMPLETELY NATURAL...I ACTUALLY SAW BETTER RESULTS WITH THE FIRST ONE AND IF I WAS MORE SCHOOLED IN THI U IPROBABLY WOULD HAVE GOTTEN ALL MY GRAPGHS, 2100 IN THE FIRST SITTING.

BUT, WHATS DONE IS DONE AND JUST BE PATIENT AND YOU WILL BE SUPRISED IT WILL LOOK COMPLETELY NATURAL... GOOD LUCK..

there are FAR getter choices than bosley. and its FAR to important of a decision to risk... enough said.... this is comming from a RECENT bosley patient, who was not disfigured by any stretch.... but the FACT is you dont know what your gonna get from them... YOU CANT POSSIBLY know what to expect.could you be happy with bosley? sure..... but HTs are all about giving yourself the BEST chance at a result that will please you... and there are far less risky options.....

*** RESULTS WILL 100%, without a DOUBT, VARY***

Hi livingalie (? ow!)

I used Bsly in San Francisco. Let's just call my surgeon there Dr. A, so I don't get sued! Here's my report:

1)Yes, he is a plastic surgeon. And yes, the hair he transplanted did grow.

2)The "hairline" he gave me, quite on purpose, is not so nice-- 2x or more on one side, with some kind of signature clump near the front. It seems obviously 'designed' to get me to go back and have it fixed-- which I will, but not by him!

3)His bedside manner is scary. He's really aggressive, and seems a bit unbalanced (maybe from all that time in Army?)

4)The Bsly woman that you meet with to discuss everything is supernice and seems so trustworthy, she's either a pro actor or not really aware of what's up with that place.

5)All the microscope work is done by a herd of philipeano women.

Well, in closing, like my mom always said-- "Make smart choices!"

• 1 month later...

reading this thread makes me angry/sad.

I unfortunately did a hair transplant through bosley only 3 days ago and stupidly didn't do research until after the fact. I mean everything looks normal now but it seems like I am going to expect some horrific results.

I also went to the Boston office and had my work done by Dr. Calder, and someone on here hated the Boston office although it was a different doctor.

Is there anyway to go to another doctor now, or do I have to wait until like 8 months when my "crappy results" will be?

Thanks guys, i'm very angry right now.

You'll have to wait, but just because there have been bad results from that clinic does not mean yours will be.

Be good if you could go into detail about the procedure or create a web blog, be helpful for others considering Bosely, especially if it's not as good as it should be, but I hope for you it works out well.

--------------------------------------

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Feller

Dr Feller Jan '09 2000 grafts

Dr Lorenzo Dec '15 2222 grafts

The way I feel, the name Bosley has be tarnished and betrayed its clients in the past. Once you've lost trust, it's difficult and sometimes impossible to redeem. If I was a HT doctor that was worth my salt, I would not choose to work at Bosley. A skilled surgeon would not have a difficult time finding work elsewhere. But hey, that's just my opinion.

ok here is a pic

pic1.jpg

what concerns me the most is a) they didn't shave all my head like it appears they do in ur guys transplants and b) the graphs seem to be more spaced out.

Am I right in my concern and using ur best judgement how do u think it will turn out? Thanks a lot guys i'm pretty scared icon_frown.gif

JK-

It really doesn't look all that bad. The work looks clean, but like you said, a little spaced out which will ultimately affect the density.

Again, you probably won't have the density you desire, but the work looks conservative in the sense that the doc did not go too low on the hairline. You actually may be happy with the results in a year or so, but once you begin losing hair behind the transplanted hairs you will want to go back in for added density in the front and whatever else you may need.

This does not look like bad work and on the plus side it looks conservative (leaving lots of donor to fix what you do not like), it's just not great work. I think you will be fine in the short term (maybe not super happy), but only time will tell.

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

thanks, anymore comments are appreciated good or bad and again be honest with me please.

I've already accepted the fact that i'll be getting another transplant and I did a little research on this site and I seem to like Dr. Fuller. I called his office just now and he wasn't in (will be in on wed of next week) and I told the receptionist what happened and asked when is the soonest possiblity for me to get another HT done.

She told me in 6 months but I didn't go into detail on the phone as I obv want to speak to the doctor about that. Will he be able to cover up the scar in the back? I can't really take any good pics but there is def a decent sized scar but it's not like lol awful in terms of it's prob only 3/4th of an inch thick and maybe like 5 inches long? (Or is that lol awful)?

Will try to take a pic if needed but it's hard to take one on the back of my head

JK111, When I just saw your pic, I first thought, Oh my god!! Then I thought, A poor transplant like this can't still be happening in 2009!! If this is your first procedure, thank god because you're going to have donor hair left and after 8 months, like you said, you'll go to a great clinic you find on this site and get a beautiful job done! Your grafts are place way too far apart, which at this point may be to your advantage at your next session!! A Dr. Feller or Dr. Hasson or Dr. Rahal will do the kind of work you or anyone really deserves.

also another question on shock loss which of course the bosley guys didn't tell me about and I had to find on here.

I've already lost I think a little bit of hair within 3 days after the surgery? This is a really bad sign right as I read it usually takes 2-12 weeks to start losing ur hair from shock loss? What are the chances the lost hair I get will come back etc? Anything else that is important please let me know.

Also they have me doing Graftcyte soaks/spray/shampoo, is this good and do u guys do this? Is there anything else I can do that they didn't tell me? I've read that vit E or omega 3 6 9 pills or something like that helps but not really sure.

Originally posted by its752:

JK111, When I just saw your pic, I first thought, Oh my god!! Then I thought, A poor transplant like this can't still be happening in 2009!! If this is your first procedure, thank god because you're going to have donor hair left and after 8 months, like you said, you'll go to a great clinic you find on this site and get a beautiful job done! Your grafts are place way too far apart, which at this point may be to your advantage at your next session!! A Dr. Feller or Dr. Hasson or Dr. Rahal will do the kind of work you or anyone really deserves.

icon_frown.gif thanks for being honest though.

Hello JK111, please don't worry yourself sick, this work is OK, you'll most likely just need more. It will not look unnatural or require corrective work...just more, which is the case for many patients in that goals are subjective. There are many fine physicians that would be able to take over at that point if there is a need and blend a second procedure down between it like a bed of nail and transform it into a result that would be no different then if you went to them in the first place. This work will not ultimately hurt you in the long run....Regards, Matt

Patient Educator, Shapiro Medical. Going on 20years with Dr Ron Shapiro......not a regular poster, I leave that to Janna

ok deicded to post a pic of my back where the scar will be, i haven't taken the stiches out so does that make any difference on how noticeable it will be?

it's the lowest part where hair is missing, the top is just my thinning hair a little no scar. Also it looks a little worse in person than in the photo due to the lighting but not a ton worse. Thoughts?

Picture088.jpg