2nd surgery options

OK,gang I am 8 months post op with Lehr. I had 2650 fu's via strip and it is a disaster. Lots of shock loss and very little growth. You can see my blog and compare pics.

I am considering a second surgery or just shaving to a #2 and getting on with my life. I am considering Shapiro, H&W and Feller. I don't need a mega session but a good going over for density. HELP!

OK,gang I am 8 months post op with Lehr. I had 2650 fu's via strip and it is a disaster. Lots of shock loss and very little growth. You can see my blog and compare pics.

I am considering a second surgery or just shaving to a #2 and getting on with my life. I am considering Shapiro, H&W and Feller. I don't need a mega session but a good going over for density. HELP!

• Administrators

I agree that your results to date eight months out are sub pare and understandably disappointing. After 8 months you should certainly have a net gain in hair - not loss. However, there is a chance that you may still regrow the hair that you lost after surgery, along with the newly transplanted hair.

This is the first time to my knowledge that Dr. Lehr has had a report of sub pare hair transplantation online. But I appreciate you sharing your experience and photos, see hrthr's blog.

Please let me know what Dr. Lehr has had to say about your situation to date.

I find your situation to be both disappointing and disturbing.

Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

hrthr,

I have to mirror Pat's comments, you should at least see something positive by now. Sad thing is your loss wasn't too bad to begin with and 2600+ grafts should have made a very positive difference.

Have you started or stopped taking finasteride or using minox......something that may have extended a shed or affected the regrowth of shocked hair?

The Doc's you're considering have a great rep. so I would hope they can drastically improve on HT# 1. Keep us posted on your plans and best of luck to you!

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Hrthr, I will add my voice to the others and offer my sympathy. I certainly hope that Dr. Lehr steps up to the plate here and gives an explanation for what has happened.

I also hope that Lehr refunds your money or pays for your HT with Shapiro, H&W, Feller, etc...

Sorry for the harsh statement (for potential Lehr supporters) but this unfortunate example should not be tolerated.

Again, I offer my sympathy and hope this situation is resolved to YOUR satisfaction.

Please keep us updated brother!!!!!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Well I imagine that getting your money back is good, but probably doesn't make you feel any better, that's for sure.

I know I would be pretty angry right now if I were you, my friend.

Anyway, I would like to see how one of the clinics you choose approach your situation. I was thinking maybe a very small session 500 grafts or so, just to see if any growth issues persist? I guess you could go back 5-6 months after a small session and do a larger one without a problem. I am very interested as to how another Dr. will approach this.

I really wish you the best my friend. While I am glad that you got your money back, I want to know where you are going to find those 2500 grafts that are lost?

How much are those worth in the long run?

All the best........ and keep us updated with how everything is going.

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Yes, Dr. Lehr is a coalition doctor. Being that he refunded hrthr's money says a lot about his ethics.

I know it sucks, but I've read that this type of thing sometimes happens and it's difficult to pinpoint why. It's possible that you may be genetically determined to bald later in life. Maybe a dermatologist can help to make sure that the balding is natural-balding and not being caused by something else.

Wait a minute. Dr. Lehr is NOT a coalition member. Where are you guys getting this information?

View the complete list of coalition docs here.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

While Dr. Lehr is not a "coalition" member, he IS included in the list of recommended doctors on this site. Which I'm sure was, in part, a deciding factor on why hrthr chose him.

hrthr, I'm sorry your results haven't lived up to your expectations. Is it possible that the Proscar hasn't kicked in fully for you yet? Can't it take up to a year sometimes? Or that your shock loss hasn't come back yet? I've read that it can take anywhere from 5 to 10 months for shock loss to return...if it wasn't miniaturized hair to begin with.

I had a little more than 1500 FUTs with Dr. Lehr the week following you, so you can understand that seeing your post has made me a little nervous. I'm a 36-year-old female who had recession at the temples (present since age 17 and had held pretty stable since then) and went to restore a more "feminine" hairline. So most of my FUTs went into areas where very little native hair existed. Still, I had a little shock loss at the margins of where the work was done. I expected that. Almost eight months out, I'm not sure all of that shock loss has returned, but I'm not giving up on it yet.

Overall, I've had pretty decent growth from my work. I'm quite pleased with my left side. It started sprouting at about 3.5 months and has filled in nicely. The right side is a bit more of a mixed bag. It was later to sprout than the left side (more like about 5.5 to 6 months out) so growth on that side is a little behind the left side. But I think if I give it a few more months, I will see results more consistent with what I see on the left side.

I'm very glad to hear that you received a refund. I'm not the least bit surprised...Dr. Lehr struck me as a very honest and ethical person. I hope that time will work in your favor, that perhaps you were a late bloomer or that you have shock loss that has yet to return. But I'm an optimist that way.

And all this has me wondering...does Pat have any plans for an office visit to Dr. Lehr anytime soon?

And in case anyone is wondering about before/after pics from me, I haven't posted any. I plan to at the 1-year mark, when I feel I will have the best judgment of what the procedure has done.

• Administrators

I think that some people on this community still are not clear about the distinction between those physicians who are only recommended on the Hair Transplant Network and those that have met an even more demanding standard and are members of the Coalition.

I have posted a full explanation of the difference on this forum on a new thread. To read it click here.

Onward and Upward, Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Yes, part of the reason I chose Lehr was he was recommended on this site. I am not sure what to make of this, I have lots of miniturized hairs but don't know if they are transplanted hairs coming in or weak existing hair going out. I am VERY unhappy with the results. I don't know what I am going to do. Any advise?

• Administrators

hrthr,

You state that you now have "lots of miniaturized hairs" eight months after surgery. I think this is a potentially good sign. At eight months it is still too early to judge your surgery or do another one.

Give it a few more months to see if they miniaturized hairs grow into full terminal hairs. Since you started taking proscar (Propecia) about two months before surgery this could possibly have induced your hair to go through a synchronized shedding phase that occurred after your surgery. Some times people do report some initial loss with proscar/propecia before they then see real gains a few months later.

But if you stay on the proscar you may see a lot of hair coming back and growing at the same time. I suspect you will see improvements in the coming months. Try to remain hopeful and give yourself a few more months.

I'm pleased that Dr. Lehr refunded your money.

Hang in there and please keep us posted.

Pat

I suggest you

My Hair Loss Blog

Gorpy,

Thank you for correcting me. It started a good discussion on the difference between a 'coalition' doctor and a 'recommended' doctor.

Pat,

Thanks for taking the time to explain the difference.