Thinking of HT through Bosley

Hey everybody!

I am very new to all of this. I am 29 years old and I am not completely bald but I have a huge receding hair line and my hair are very thin on top and towards the front hair line..well hair line is non existent now. I am healthy otherwise.

I am very seriously thinking about getting a procedure done with Bosley and have consulted with them for 2000 grafts. They have also talked me into scheduling surgical visit by friday.

I am very desperate to have my hair back. But after reading the horror stories about scalp reduction and tightness of scalp, not natural looking hairline and scarring, I just dont know if I should go with this.

I am requesting you members to help me decide if getting HT by Bosley is the right option?

I would GREATLY APPRECIATE any help you folks can come up with?

P.S

Is anybody on this forum here who has had HT by Bosley done with before and after pictures and experiences? I am sure there must be but I am new to this forum also (actually this is my very first forum I have approached)

Again, I will be very grateful to you members!

Thank you

Hey everybody!

I am very new to all of this. I am 29 years old and I am not completely bald but I have a huge receding hair line and my hair are very thin on top and towards the front hair line..well hair line is non existent now. I am healthy otherwise.

I am very seriously thinking about getting a procedure done with Bosley and have consulted with them for 2000 grafts. They have also talked me into scheduling surgical visit by friday.

I am very desperate to have my hair back. But after reading the horror stories about scalp reduction and tightness of scalp, not natural looking hairline and scarring, I just dont know if I should go with this.

I am requesting you members to help me decide if getting HT by Bosley is the right option?

I would GREATLY APPRECIATE any help you folks can come up with?

P.S

Is anybody on this forum here who has had HT by Bosley done with before and after pictures and experiences? I am sure there must be but I am new to this forum also (actually this is my very first forum I have approached)

Again, I will be very grateful to you members!

Thank you

Welcome I think today may be your luckiest day concerning you hairloss. There is only one think worse than losing your hair that is having a bad transplant.

You obviously have done no research on the internet concerning hair transplant because if you had Bosley in my opinion would not even be a consideration. Just research as much as you can before you even CONSIDER any doctor and learn as much as possible. I understand that infomerials can be very powerful especially when many of us are usually tired, drunk or can't sleep when they are on.

There are many more bad doctors than good one in the hair transplant industry if you chose the right one you will consider it one of the best decision you made if you choose the wrong one if can affect the rest of your life in a negative way. Good luck..

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Be sure to do a search on this forum for Bosley (and MHR) and you'll find plenty to scare you away from them. Many posters have commented on their bad experiences with Bosley. Take your time on this forum and ask the many knowledgeable members lots of questions BEFORE you do anything.

You have a better chance of success if you do the procedure yourself in front of a mirror.

1st HT 1-5-05 - 1894 FUT's Dr. Glenn Charles

2nd HT 12-18-06 - 1542 FUT's Dr. Glenn Charles

Total: 3436 FUT's

Current Protocol: Propecia Daily, Laser Therapy EOD 20 mins.

I had several procedures done by Dr. Phillips in the late 90's. Given where technology was at the time, I can't say that I have many complaints (outside of the cost) - it filled in the hair of my hairline. With the exception of the last time, which hurt somewhat and left a somewhat nasty donor scar, everything was fine. It does help significantly that I have a fair amount of original hair left - otherwise I think the work would be more noticeable.

Given some of the pictures that I have seen on this site, I think you could be better off elsewhere. It has been 8 years since I have had a HT and my hair loss seems to have slowed quite a bit but it is still happening. I anticipate another procedure in the next couple of years and will most likely be using a surgeon that it is recommended on this site and not Dr. Phillips from Bosley.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for such quick responses. I was wondering is there any actual patient from bosley with before and after pictures here? somebody who has had it done not too long ago?

I still need a lot of help deciding!

LOL! I love the TOUGH LOVE Please Grow!

1st HT 1-5-05 - 1894 FUT's Dr. Glenn Charles

2nd HT 12-18-06 - 1542 FUT's Dr. Glenn Charles

Total: 3436 FUT's

Current Protocol: Propecia Daily, Laser Therapy EOD 20 mins.

I anticipate another procedure in the next couple of years and will most likely be using a surgeon that it is recommended on this site and not Dr. Phillips from Bosley

This is the same BOZO I used, and I had horrible results! I would never recommend him. When I went back for my 1 yr follow up he seemed aggrivated and got defensive when I told him I wasnt happy! If you got decent results from this hack I say good for you! He must of lost his touch over the years!

Stinger...

Research the crap out of this subject before you make a decision.

Make sure you find yourself falling asleep in front of your computer a few times...I did...lol.

Ask alot of questions...leave no stone unturned.

Go with a doc that has done a ton of these jobs like the coalition docs on this site.

Also...meet as many docs in person as you can.

MH

bosley is bad but the same procedure is performed no matter who you go to. the doctor will still cut sections of your scalp out and move it to other parts of your head. you will still have scarring in the back and you wont have any guarantees of the results. ive had two hts and regret them both. and most people if not all people will regret them sooner or later. the procedure wont end if you want to keep up with hair loss. the end result will be an old man with unnatural hair on his head and terrible scarring on the back..and no money for his retirement because he spent it all on hairtransplants..i suggest you stop before you go to far.think about the future and being that old man that people stare at and say what the hell happened to him.

Stinger see another reason not to go to Bosley .

If true they have destroyed 16 life.

Be smart and research. Take a look at all the pics you can and check out the coaliton doctors on this site.

What state do you live in ? Maybe we can start getting you in the right direction

IMO, the top five docs/clinics to start with are (in no particular order): H&W, Feller, Shapiro, Alexander, Rahal. Best of Luck!

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Originally posted by Stinger:

ok I get it. Bosley is not the right choice. Who do you all recommend for HT?

Again, Thank you for so many responses! I appreciate this!

Stinger-

Yes, most will tell you to stay away from Bosley, and with good reason. They "may" have a Doc here or there than can provide a quality HT, I wouldn't count on it. As important as quality is with respect to a HT, for the same money, would you want to get a Cadillac, or a Yugo?? icon_wink.gif

Some people have been to a Bosely Doc and done okay but you have many "personal" references here and can see all of the results from start to finish in many cases. Spend time doing your research........see what Docs work you liked or didn't like and why. Look for someone with hair loss and hair characteristics like yours and see who they chose and the outcome. Just start researching the site, the material is invaluable.

Best of luck -

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Stinger,

Good news for you is that you found this site and there are people like myself who had a hair transplant as recently as about 2002 with Bosley (give or take - I've blocked it from my mind!!).

Was I originally happy with the results? Yes, but only because I was comparing them to the 'dolls hair' plugs that they scared you into believing all other HT doctors provided. The truth was that other doctors were providing follicular unit HT, while Bosley was still providing mini and micro (1-3 hair) grafts. The results can be seen in my blog:

DSC_2524_Hairline.jpg

I'm also concerned about your comment that they "talked you into scheduling a surgical visit". Nobody should talk you into anything. Take your time, do your research, compare results that are similar to your balding pattern and then do an online consultation and eventually visit 1 or more doctors in person.

As for the comments by 16inch scar, we have never seen photographs of his HT, and they are likely from years and years ago when technology was not very good and results were "iffy" at best and most were just downright scary. But that was before the internet, open dialogue and digital cameras.

However, his points are valid in that you need to consider the future. You do this by making sure you understand that you only have a finite (limited) amount of donor hair. Then, you have to understand that this hair will last a lifetime, so you want a realistic hairline (not something you had at 20 years of age). Then, you have to also have realistic expectations. If you expect to have a hairline as thick as it was at age 20, it *can* be done, but only if you are willing to use up about 50% of your available donor hair to accomplish this. Realistically, take a conservative approach, take your time and you will happy with your final decision.

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

I dont know how to thank you guys enough. I did go to my consultation at Bosley. At first the surgeon was advising me that I have a very "dense" donor area. His opinion did however change after I started asking him questions about scalp reduction and the sensation that some of us will have after the surgery.

The surgeon at Bosley was willing to make a tuft on my front hair line and also said that it will look like an island in the ocean and will give my head some sort of structure. I couldnt believe his words!!!

But anyways, I have decided not to go with HT atall. I would rather wait for hair multiplication to become a reality.

Once again thanks to each and everyone of you. Everybody here has given me an honest opinion. I would rather not criticize anybody here as the intention was noble. The opinions here are very true and I am glad I chose this to be a member of this forum.

On second note, the surgeon at Bosley said "the hair multiplication procedure is good 7 to 8 years away but then this is what they said 7 years ago."

Stinger,

I'm glad to hear that our forum members have been able to help you with some of their insight.

Deciding to have hair transplant surgery is a personal choice and is not for everyone.

Whether or not hair multiplication will be around in the somewhat near future, who knows! But here's hoping icon_biggrin.gif.

Best wishes,

Bill

• 2 years later...