Question/Answer: Am I too young for a hair transplant?

I thought I'd try something. I am starting to write a document that answers some of the common questions posed by members of this forum. Obviously, my answers are one man's opinion...and they are written generally. Anyway...let me know what you think. Thoughts are welcome and encouraged. I may even add your thoughts into my document if they have merit icon_wink.gif

----

Am I Too Young For a Hair Transplant?

Unfortunately, the answer isn't a simple yes or no, though some have made it that simple, sadly. Admittedly, this topic is very controversial. The point of my answer here is to help you make up your own mind over this one while still presenting all the issues. I also offer my opinion as well, but it's to be taken that way...just another man's opinion. My only caution is, don't let your emotions answer this question for you...let your logic and reasoning answer.

Education is the key to everything. The more you know, the more you can make an informed decision. It's vital and even critical that you know as much as you can about what you are getting yourself into, regardless of whether it's hair transplantation or another topic altogether. It is important that you understand what this process is like and all the risks that go along with it.

Let's list some of the key reasons why getting a hair transplant at a young age is risky:

1. Hair loss is unpredictable. Those who just start losing their hair typically aren't good candidates for a hair transplant (no matter what their age)

2. The earlier you start losing your hair, the more hair you MAY lose. This is not a definite thing, but the risk factor certainly goes up. It's a sad truth that we must be aware of.

3. Donor supply is limited. Planning conservatively therefore is extremely important for people with minimal hair loss. The fact is, one MAY need additional surgeries to stay looking natural and therefore want to have good reserves to tap into in case this happens. The good news is, if more hair is not lost, one can always go back later to lower the hairline, or fill in areas to add density.

4. The financial commitment may not be feasible. Many people think that one surgery will be enough for them, and truthfully it might depending on your situation. But those who are just starting to lose their hair...hair transplantation might NOT be the answer immediately, especially if you need follow up procedures to try to keep up with your hair loss. And let's face it...young people typically have less money. If you only just have enough money for one procedure and don't know when you'll have enough for another one, it may not be a good idea to get an HT.

But if these are all serious risks to be considered, why do ethical doctors sometimes do hair transplantation on younger patients? Haven't we decided that it's too risky for a younger candidate to jump in the chair?

As I said above, each case has to be taken individually. A simple "yes" or "no" is not sufficient to answer the posed question above.

Below are a list of conditions that, if met, I feel it MAY be appropriate for a younger person to have an HT:

1. The patient is educated about hair transplantation and aware of all the risks associated with having an HT.

2. The patient is on finasteride for at least 1 year before having an HT

3. The doctor has gone over all of the risks with the patient

4. The patient knows that follow up HTs MAY be necessary to cover future loss with the option LATER lower the hairline if desired in the event that there is NO or LITTLE FUTURE LOSS

5. The doctor creates a very conservative hairline (that of course flatters the face of the patient).

6. If hairloss is minimal, a conservative number of grafts are used keeping a large reservation of grafts for the POTENTIAL future need.

Ethical Issues:

Many will try to keep up with their hair loss and go to doctors who will give the patient what they want. You know the motto "the customer is always right"? This should NOT be the motto for the medical profession. In my opinion, doctors who try to satisfy the immediate desires of the patient without considering the future are highly unethical. These doctors are more concerned about the money in their pockets from getting someone into surgery than they are about how this patient may look 10 years down the line. Dense packing a hairline with 3000 grafts on a 20 year old when they only just started losing their hair is EXTREMELY risky. Even if this particular patient has 7000 available donor grafts, this means they only have 4000 available grafts to for the rest of the head in the event of additional hair loss. What if the patient becomes a Norwood 6? This patient will ultimately be stuck with a low hairline and very thin hair behind it, leaving an unnatural look. Planning conservatively therefore, is extremely important for those of a younger age, especially those of a younger age with minimal hair loss.

-----

Bill

Great thread and post, Bill.

This is something we encounter it seems on a weekly basis here and, as usual, there are always varying prospectives. I like the way you've broken down the reasons and conditions. I really feel you have covered all the basis icon_smile.gif.

Your last paragraph I believe is SOOOO important.........Ethics. Ultimately, many a young prospective HT patient will be in the hands of their Doc, or the Doc's consultant. Unfortunately, as we have seen abroad, when money is there for the taking it often gets taken. I agree with your statement about "the customer is always right". HT's are the one arena this doesn't hold true. Honest feedback from an ethical surgeon is a must.

Thanks for your thoughts on this, bro!

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Nice explanation Bill

We should seriously consider making this post a automatic "click" in order to prevent the same question over and over.. This way they get it quick and to the point.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Great Post Bill.

One word... Ethics.

The basis for any discussion or actions taken by a Doc in dealing with younger men.

However, we are seeing millions being made by exploiting the fears of youth--through half-truths and lies.

I wonder what we will see 10 years from now?

Take Care,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Hey guys...thanks for the feedback on my post.

I do indeed have this information saved...as I said, I started writing a document or whatever you want to call it with some of the commonly asked questions and my answers. Of course, I recognize that not everyone will agree with ALL of my answers...after all, I can't know everything, but I certainly try to research what I don't know and keep an open mind until something is pretty concrete.

Ethics IS indeed the key...which is EXACTLY why I took the time to post the "Ethical Issues" section.

I am going to include this link in the document I am writing...so I may just reference these posts occasionally when someone is asking a similar question to what I've already posted icon_wink.gif.

Cheers brothers!

Bill

Good topic, most of you now how I feel about this.

Tough situation for any young guy going thru the emotions of losing his hair. The Doctor has to be the cooler head in these situations and get these guys on finasteride, have them wait for some time and revisit later.

For the SMALL percentage who would qualify as acceptable to proceed at a young age, they need to be aware of the long term outlook and their future hairloss.

I am a big believer that one should wait at least until mid-late twenties at the earliest before taking the plunge. I commend the doctors who turn away young guys looking to jump into it. Just my opinion.

NoBuzz

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Why would you even consider 1?

Sorry but looking at your pic and the ones posted

in this link Kingentering

I really don't understand you.

I see no loss, guys on this forum can't even imagine having hair that thick again.

It's like going on a diet site, posting a pic of your sixpack and asking can I have a gastric band fitted?

Really kingentering, you don't need a transplant and any doctor that would give you 1 is a hack.

No problem Kingentering,

Minoxidil does regrow hair in some people, in others it may slow the loss down, but then it might not help you at all. The only way to know how you will respond is to try it.

If you are still considering a transplant, I suggest sending your photos to some of the coalition doctors, however, I suspect they will advise you against one (I'd be shocked otherwise).

If grafting in the hundreds, I'd personally only consider FUE. This would reduce the appearance scarring suffered after surgery, but many believe the survial rate of the grafts are lower than in a strip procedure.

kingentering,

In my opinion, your hair looks great. In fact, many balding men and women could only dream that hair transplant surgery could give them the hair coverage and density you already have.

In my opinion, if you are experiencing hair loss, now would be a great time to consider medical treatment like Propecia and Rogaine. They are typically more effective when hair loss is caught early. The more hair you lose, the harder it is to recover.

Best wishes,

Bill

kingentering--- please think about being ok with your hair the way it is.. your hair looks GREAT and natural, and thick.... transplants are risky, and it will take MULTIPLE surguries to match the density YOU ALREADY HAVE.. just like another poster said ANY DOC who would give you a HT is a hack.... try propecia if your worried, but surgery is NOT needed IMO.... not even close

*** RESULTS WILL 100%, without a DOUBT, VARY***

Hey Kingentering,

I'm in the same boat as you. I have a receding hairline and I'm 22. My best advice is to definitely get on Propecia and Rogain, that's what I've done and so far I feel it has slowed down the process.

If you can get to a point where your hairloss stabilizes then you could think about getting a hair transplant, but as others have said it doesn't look like you are there yet in terms of hairloss.

Check out my bio, I'm on track right now to get a hairtransplant probably within 1 year or so. Lots of people on this blog have said I don't need one or that I should wait, let me stress the decision is yours. Take your time, do tons of research, get on medication, then make the right decisions for YOU.

• 1 year later...

Another point to consider:

For me anyway, I realise that (based on family history), over time I will lose MOST of my hair, and I also realise that no amount of surgery/treatment will ever allow me to maintain a full head of hair for an indefinite period. The main reason I want a hair transplant is for confidence, confidence when dating, confidence when I start looking to perhaps get married (could be soon). I don't think however that once I am married that I will be AS concerned about my hair loss as I am now. Does this not come into account when deciding whether or not to give young men (perhaps even those as young as 20) a hair transplant?

In a nutshell, myself, and I'm sure others, want to look as good as they can whilst they are young, and do not care so much about future hair loss.