So Cal References

whoa!!! Stop right there man! You can check take a 5-6 hour drive to Phoenix for Alexander and Keene in Tucson but I highly urge you to stay away from those other two which I have told myself I would never state the names of!! Good luck and take your time in researching before you do anything

<span class="ev_code_RED">After reading things on this site I am reconsidering MHR or Bosley</span>

Glad to see you don't want to look like hell?? Those are the last places that you should go. Please spend a little more time on this site and make some informed decisions. Tkerr gave you some awesome advise. Check out those physicians or other Coalition members. Good luck.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Yeah Right.

After reading about the effects of drinking poison, I think I am going to drink some anyway.

Sounds Great!

Spend some more time reading Jim and make an INFORMED decision.

Take Care,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

• Administrators

Need References,

Welcome to our forum community. This past fall I spent time visiting leading clinics in Southern California in order to solidify my recommendations for California physicians.

I also shared the highlights from these visits on this forum. I suggest you view these highlights to get an inside view of these clinics.

The clinics I visted included -

Dr. James DeYarman, Dr. Bill Reed, Dr. Steven Chang, Dr. Bill Rassman, Dr. Ken Siporin and

Dr. Paul Straub.

Best wishes, Pat

P.S. Dr. Paul McAndrews was unwilling to allow me to visit his clinic and see him perform surgery.

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

• 2 weeks later...

Pat, I would like to know if during your visit to Dr. Rassman's offices, you witnessed any procedures being performed by Dr. Jae Pak or saw any patients who were operated on by Dr. Pak? I'd like to go with Dr. Rassman himself, but his price of $10 is too much for me to handle considering other posters here indicate that a price between $4-$4.50 is considered normal. Based on Rassman's site I am assuming:

1.) The "Standard Fee" of $6/graft is work done by Dr. Jae Pak.

2.) The "Rassman fee" of $10/graft is obviously Dr. Rassman's work.

Also, has Dr. Jae Pak been "ordained" into the coalition or just Dr. Rassman?

Lastly, has anyone on this forum actually had a transplant(s) from any of those So. Cal. doctors that Pat mentioned (Dr. James DeYarman, Dr. Bill Reed, Dr. Steven Chang, Dr. Bill Rassman, Dr. Ken Siporin and

Dr. Paul Straub.)? If so, what has been your experience(s)?

Thanks!

Heya FR.

Nope, had mine with Dr Meshkin as I mentioned elsewhere, but i DID consult with Dr Straub more than once. In fact he was the very first I ever went to see (saw Straub, Dr Sword, John Lord, then Dr Meshkin in person, and talked to a handful of others as well)

I think Dr Straub seemed competent and worth a look. I trusted him. I would have liked him to do my hair but in the end he was not willing to do quite what I wanted, so I simply couldnt justify the cash for soemthing i know, for a fact, i would have virtually resented. Now, maybe he and a zillion other members here are right and i would be sending him christmas baskets full of gratitude 10 years from now, in hindsight, but in any case, I am stubborn and i had a very clear idea of what i wanted from an expensive HT.

What I am saying is... Straub turned me down on my terms and i turned him down on his. If nothing else, it leaves me with respect for his integrity. Go see him, it can't hurt. He will give you good direction in any case. I like him.

• Administrators

FrontalRetreat,

I did not see Dr. Jae Pak do surgery during my visit. But given that the same staff does the cutting and placing this tends to standardize the procedure.

Keep in mind that Dr. Rassman also offers a discounted rate for his services to members of this community (see his profile page for details). He also offers "standby" rates for his services that are substantially lower.

Best wishes, Pat

P.S. Newhairguy, Congratulations on your recent surgery. We would all like to see your photos and follow your progress.

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Pat,

When you say "given that the same staff does the cutting and placing this tends to standardize the procedure", then what does the actual doctor do during surgery? Is it normal that the actual doctor NOT do any of those things? I was under the impression that the doctor would be creating the slits and placing the the grafts in (but not necessarily cutting up the individual grafts).

Frontal-

Every clinic doesn't approach this in the same fashion. However, I believe I'm safe in saying that the majority of them operate as follows:

Surgeon

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>removes donor strip/closes donor<LI>creates incisions

Technicians

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>trim grafts<LI>place grafts

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

• 2 months later...
Originally posted by newhairguy:

Heya FR.

Nope, had mine with Dr Meshkin as I mentioned elsewhere, but i DID consult with Dr Straub more than once. In fact he was the very first I ever went to see (saw Straub, Dr Sword, John Lord, then Dr Meshkin in person, and talked to a handful of others as well)

I think Dr Straub seemed competent and worth a look. I trusted him. I would have liked him to do my hair but in the end he was not willing to do quite what I wanted, so I simply couldnt justify the cash for soemthing i know, for a fact, i would have virtually resented. Now, maybe he and a zillion other members here are right and i would be sending him christmas baskets full of gratitude 10 years from now, in hindsight, but in any case, I am stubborn and i had a very clear idea of what i wanted from an expensive HT.

What I am saying is... Straub turned me down on my terms and i turned him down on his. If nothing else, it leaves me with respect for his integrity. Go see him, it can't hurt. He will give you good direction in any case. I like him.

Hey new hair guy,

I just had a few consults with some of the doctors in the L.A area. Dr. Meshkin was one of them. There isnt much said about him on this forum, but you seem to be happy. Iam curious about your progress...I am thinking of having it done, he seems professional and very reasonable in price...let me know