FUE Questions!!

Dr. Rose and Dr. Rassman,

Thank you both for participating in this discussion and bringing in your expertise as well.

Dr. Rose,

You said:

Survival of grafts probably has more to do with density and placement among othere variables.

I'd like you to expand on this if you would...I know many people have taken this statement out of context in the past to mean that dense packing will lessen the survival rate of grafts therefore dense packing should not be done. I know there are extremists in everything, however, since many doctors do large megasessions of ultra-densed packed grafts that doesn't effect survival rates, can you be more specific in your professional opinion, at what point density starts to effect survival rates and what other variables are involved specifically centering on the density element? Additionally, if you could be more specific about how you are defining placement in terms of effecting growth rates.

It seems to me, however, that what effects survival rates that most is how they are treated when they are outside of the scalp, whether how they are being cut from the strip, or handled once they are airborne.

It DOES appear that there is some conflicting research and evidence out there regarding yield for FUE verses strip. The majority of the research does show that strip yields higher percentages than FUE. This is where I value physician imput the most...because even amongst physicians, there seems to be some debate on growth effectiveness and yield. Any additional thoughts would be helpful.

Bill

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for your post, Dr. Rose.

I would also request further information on graft survival rates for FUE as it seems to be an issue. So you're saying that the harvest of the grafts (FUE or STRIP) really as nothing to do with the survival rate, correct? Just asking for clarification as I thought graft survival percentages were lower on FUE for this reason. Dr. Rassman mentioned in his earlier post that FUE "yield" is all over the place but STRIP is fairly consistent. I'd be anxious to hear your thoughts on this.

Thanks,

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

By my comment "Yield all over the place" I meant non-damaged hairs out of the extracted follicular units. If a doctor, for example performing an FUE procedure, takes out a 4 hair follicular unit but transects 2 hairs (obviously killing them), then 2 out of 4 hairs in a SINGLE follicular unit has a loss rate of 50%. Only 50% of the hairs from the original follicular unit will grow. So yield here is shown to be harvested yield of successful hairs out of a single graft. If a surgical team is not careful, they can damage hair even by strip harvesting techniques, but as the skills are more manageable in the strip harvest with a good team of well trained technicians, then the 95%+ harvest yield from all hairs in a follicular unit is the expected norm.

FUE should be performed only by the most ethical Docs, period.

Often times, clinics claim to use .6-.7mm extraction devices, only to switch to a larger tool once transection becomes an issue 1mm or larger.

I thank Dr. Rassman and Dr. Rose for taking the time to detail some of the issue with FUE extractions and implantation.

We are seeing massive FUE sessions 2500+ in one sitting and consequently we are seeing the moth eaten look Dr. Rose described.

Dr. Rose touched on scarring below the surface of epidermis that is unseen, but still very present---- Dr. Feller also touched on this subcutaneous scarring....

Written by Dr. Feller:

CONFLUENCE OF SCAR This miserable response to FUE trauma is unavoidable and raises the difficulty level for each successive surgery. It simply means that a 1mm hole will actually spread it's scar out beyond a 1 mm border and connect to the nearest scar produced by another 1mm FUE hole. When performing just a few hundred FUE, this is not an issue, but, start going over the 1000-1500 mark and you've got problems. What eventually happens is that a sheet of invisible scarring is formed just below the visible skin. This scarring has the effect of weakening the skin around the remaining hair roots so severly that it become practically impossible to extract these grafts via FUE WITH CURRENT TECHNOLOGY. I am currently working on a way to get around this problem as there may in fact be a way.

---------------------------------------

I think FUE has its place, and I think we see a few guys who have not experienced any difficulty and many others who we do not see at all, and occasionaly we see patients who quite frankly look terrible.

Time always tells the full tale.

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Very good discussion everyone. I'm glad to have Dr. Rassman and Dr. Rose with us to share their thoughts on the subject. I've had the pleasure of discussing in some detail FUE with Dr. Feller in another thread as well.

B-Spot,

you said:

I am currently working on a way to get around this problem as there may in fact be a way.

This scarring has the effect of weakening the skin around the remaining hair roots so severly that it become practically impossible to extract these grafts via FUE WITH CURRENT TECHNOLOGY. What are you currently working on brother? Did you become an HT doc and I didn't know it? :P

Bill

No, no, no you big goof!!!!!!!!

That is Dr. Feller's quote--- I am changing it right now!!!!!!!!

That would be funny if I actually wrote that right?

hmmmmmmm--- then I would be an English speaking hairobservator...... AHAHAHAHAahahahahah!!!!!!!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

B spot...aka hairobservator! icon_biggrin.gifLOL icon_biggrin.gif...Love it!

By the way, B, how long post op was the pic you posted? Those results are awful and maybe as bad as I've ever seen.

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

• Moderators

That picture looks like 2mm - 2.5mm punch graft extraction. You can tell by the size and the count. A quick count looks like about 220 punch grafts.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Sad to see the results of a ancient procedure.

Make no mistake about it, this is not caused by an FUE procedure as it is performed by FUE experts. Just look at the size of the extraction holes, still at least 2 mm and possibly more. I heared that this old punch procedure is still in use by some dr. in France.

BV

Consultant-co owner Prohairclinic (FUE only) in Belgium, Dr. De Reys.

Thanks to all Docs for taking the time out of your day to post. It's obvious why people like you are in the coalition. Professionalism and dedication are not only items found in the office

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

H???© some american hairdocs!!!!!!!

So guys what do you think of Malte Villnow MD?

What do you say about his MICRO FUE DRILLER?

FUE2000 possible in less then 5 hours..

Hello William Rassman MD from PICO blvd!

Do you remember me from 2002! icon_biggrin.gif

I was that dutchmen on that openday!

We had a long talk and made some pictures together!

After that I gave you some nice greatings from Malte Villnow MD

and your face looked like a stone! icon_biggrin.gif

What do you say about Hairobservator?‚??s

NEW HAIRRESTORATION 2007 & MICRO FUE DRILLER?

Hairobservator?‚??s NEW HAIRRESTORATION 2007!

QUICKGRAFTING METHOD!

..first incisions - then donorhair!

What do american hairdocs say about that?

REFUE Hairtransplants!

..change hairlossfollikels for hairtransplantfollikels!

Possible with the MICROGRAFT FUE DRILLER!

FUE = follicular unit extradition

I want a diskussion here with an american hairdoc! Rassman MD, Shapiro MD, Rose MD

or who I don?‚??t care but talk too me I want to know what they have to say about me & Malte Villnow MD!

At TRANSHAIR D??SSELDORF(1989-1996) they where already working with a driller for making incisions(!),

now Villnow MD is drilling out the FUES, for me this hairdokter(MV) ist the most talented hairdoc on this earth do you agree W. Rassman MD(you did some hairwork together!)? FUE hairtransplants 80% and STRIP 95%

you must be joking.. he Bill & William where are you i?‚??m waiting for you! icon_mad.gificon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

My FUE480 with driller.

Perfect hairwork!

Better then with a fueneedle!

I did both but prefer the FUEDRILLER!

COME ON WHERE ARE YOU!

LETS TALK ABOUT FUE HAIRTRANSPLANTS!

Greatings Hairobservator

Expert for hairtransplantation & hairregeneration

hairobservator-

I'm not sure I quite understand your post, but you seem to be promoting this Micro FUE Driller. Do you happen to have pictures of this process being performed so I can see what kind of work this produces?

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

I make a point never to comment on other doctors. Many doctors make up their own name for a procedure that everyone does so it makes them appear different or better. This is a marketing stunt that does little but confuse those trying to understand the standard of care that is out there. I believe that there are two styles of FUE: (1) sharp dissection and (2) blunt dissection. Anything else is marketing hype. Although some doctors use different tools, I have not seen any techniques out there in 'Hair transplant land' that is a breakthrough. If there is one, then the doctor is obligated (through his oath) to educate his fellow doctors. The way to educate is to publish in medical journals or present breakthroughs to the profession at medical meetings or (at the least) in industry newsletters. The techniques you are quoting make me suspicious that there is selling hype going on and I personally deplore it.

make a point never to comment on other doctors. Many doctors make up their own name for a procedure that everyone does so it makes them appear different or better. This is a marketing stunt that does little but confuse those trying to understand the standard of care that is out there. I believe that there are two styles of FUE: (1) sharp dissection and (2) blunt dissection. Anything else is marketing hype. Although some doctors use different tools, I have not seen any techniques out there in 'Hair transplant land' that is a breakthrough. If there is one, then the doctor is obligated (through his oath) to educate his fellow doctors. The way to educate is to publish in medical journals or present breakthroughs to the profession at medical meetings or (at the least) in industry newsletters. The techniques you are quoting make me suspicious that there is selling hype going on and I personally deplore it.

Well said Dr. Rassman!

Bill

"Anything else is marketing hype!"

Ohohohoh now you make me mad! icon_mad.gif

MICRO FUE DRILLER 2007

So granddaddy Billyboy Rassman MD! icon_biggrin.gif

First take away that picture of yourself from 20 years ago(!),

you are an very old hairdoc of 75 maybe 80 years old!

You may get a silver star in Vietnam

but grandpa this is the new generation! icon_wink.gif

And this time Malte Villnow MD is working together with te dutch, you know the businesspeople & pirates! icon_razz.gif

If you are a smart guy you know they bring it around the world!!!!!!!!

Don?‚??t you remember the Hairobservator?

Frank Frederikus Wilhelmus Bolk!

He was on that open-day at your clinic at Pico blvd. in 2002 and all of your hairpatients were listening to him and wondering! Lasergrafting is working? Yeahyeah I had some broshure?‚??s of HAIRLASE in my pocket..

They all where talking about Bosley who selled his hairclinics for 50.000.000 dollars to Aderens and when I gave you some greatings of dr. Villnow youre face didn?‚??t move anymore!

Where?‚??s the fat hairdoc of Mc Lellan he was doing some hairtransplanting on that open-day!

Now you got a new assistent - apprentice for the china market called Pak? icon_rolleyes.gif

Yeah yeah you wanne sell me an strip2000(!) that was never possible! I had 3600 grafts done with stripgrafting later back in D??sseldorf Dr. Bruce Reith of Laser Aesthetic get out a STRIP1000 that was a maximum! You are crazy!!!!!!!

Talking about FOX but selling an impossible STRIP!

You know the breaking worldnews in hairtransplantland alway?‚??s comes from Europe!

First micrografting(Nordstr?¶m MD), slitgrafting(Kokott MD), Driller method / Handbohrer(Hanneken/Neidel MD

at Transhair) / Lasergrafting(Villnow MD), MICRO FUE DRILLER(Villnow MD) you americans always are walking far behind!

Just follow the leader this time and he is called Malte Villnow MD!

For me the germans Manfred Lucas MD(..in honor of this pionier hairdoc who already died to young!) of MEDITRA &

Malte Villnow MD of TRANSHAIR/LASER AESTHETIC are great worldleading hairdocs!

Why they never get a Follicle Award??????? The ISHRS & this awards are just a joke for me!

You americans think you are the best but you are nothing! icon_razz.gif

And I think STRIP & FUE is bringing 80% regrowth because the grafts must be transplanted quicker! QUICKGRAFTING!

And you know very good who Malte Villnow MD is!

This german hairdoc is the best of the best!

Maybe he gonna show everybody in Las Vegas!

THE FUE DRILLERSHOW IN VIVA LAS VEGAS?

Maybe you where in Vietnam but the hairobervator served in the foreign legion!

Greatings Hairobservator

Expert for hairtransplantation & hairregeneration

For hairbank just wait it?‚??s coming..

And you know very good who Malte Villnow MD is!

This german hairdoc is the best of the best!

He Frenkie, I strongly suggest stop insulting people or you will end up yet again being kicked of a hair forum. Calm down, relax it is Easter.

strip%202.jpg

strip%204.jpg

The above strip scars are sending regards to your 'god'.

Consultant-co owner Prohairclinic (FUE only) in Belgium, Dr. De Reys.

Yeah Bartje I already new that you are ugly! icon_biggrin.gif

But now we got the TRICHOPHYTIC CLOSURE & FUEDRILLER and you don?‚??t! icon_redface.gificon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

You are just one of his 10.000 patients and maybe youre skin is scarring more then mine and others you know!

A ONLY FUE CLINIC with no MICRO FUE DRILLER! icon_frown.gif

LALALA.. hihaho dr. Villnow got a MICRO FUE DRILLER!

LALALAlalalala 700 fue in one day - FUE2000 only possible in three day?‚??s at Bartje?‚??s little fueclinic("du alte Schwede!") - now it?‚??s possible in several hours at Villnow?‚??s clinics in Haarlem - Hasselt & D??sseldorf!!!!!!!

Lalalalalalalalalalalalalala oh i?‚??m feeling so good & fine today!

Thank God there?‚??s a Malte Villnow were would we be without him! So now I?‚??m gonna eat some easterneggs..

ITS FUEDRILLER TIME!

Greatings Hairobservator

My god

First of all Happy Easter. Hairobserver, why can't you just speak in normal sentences rather than this "song-like banter". It really hurts your credibility. As far as the insult to Americans, what does that have to do with anything? I don't think American's are the best at everything, the Japanese are (haha) You realize you are making yourself look like a fool .. Sad because you probably have some good points but your lack of professionalism and insults really hurt your cause. Please keep the insults to yourself.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!