why are some HT surgeons better than others

Dear all

I have been doing lots of thinking.

Now if the FUT procedure is a technique that has been outlined. Then how can a HT surgeon go worng in executing it.

I find it an easy process, all they do is take a strip of hair from the back containing the grafts, disect under a microscope, and then insert them in the recipient area.

Please I need to know why only few are recommended to be masters in that operation, while other HT surgeons get slammed.

Now, I have to be honest, reading the forum here, really gave me valuavle information, but I still don't get it what makes HT surgeon better than the other.

As long as the HT surgeon performs FUT, then I guess there should not be so much variation in the quality of the HT.

Please comment, and please show me some of the bad FUT surgeries so I can get an idea what you mean by a bad FUT surgery result

darkman,

There are many ways to answer this question.

Firstly, I don't think it's fair to call hair transplantation a "simple" procedure. It's in fact a very delicate process and damaging the follicular unit grafts without the necessary and proper care is sadly more commonplace than not in the world of hair transplantation.

Keep in mind also that not all hair transplant surgeons in the world utilize the latest techniques and technologies. In fact, I would suggest that the majority of them in the world are still using out of date techniques which is why only a handful of hair transplant clinics are recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. Many clinics, believe it or not, still don't use microscopes when slivering the follicular unit grafts from the strip. Many clinics still use minigrafts. And even still, many surgeons still use a double or triple blade to harvest the strip, which significantly increases the follicle transection rate.

Keep in mind also that there are variations in even the latest of techniques and technologies. Some prefer making recipient incisions with needles, some with precut flat blades, some with custom cut flat blades, etc.

Some hair transplant surgeons swear that coronal (lateral) incisions produce the most natural result whereas others are particular to sagital (perpendicular) incisions. In my opinion, a case can be made for either type of incision.

Some hair transplant clinics prefer the use of "chubby" grafts while others prefer using "skinny" grafts. In my opinion, a case can be made to support both types of grafts.

Some hair restoration physicians believe that larger hair transplant megasessions are the way to go when appropriate for the patient while others still believe it is better to accomplish a patient's hair restoraiton goals over multiple hair transplant surgeries.

Now do I personally have my preferences in some of these as a hair transplant patient? Yes, of course! Does that make my preferences the only correct one? I wouldn't be so arrogant to make this claim.

I think we also have to be careful on how we define "better".

Should we as hair transplant patients compare physicians? Yes, we should! After all, we are looking for the most pleasing hair restoration result aren't we?

Here are some of the things I consider when selecting a hair transplant surgeon for myself:

1. Consistent High hair growth yield: Does this 4000 follicular unit graft surgery look like it has produced 4000 follicular unit grafts or close to it?

2. Consistent Minimal Scarring: Does this surgeon typically produce thin fine scars regardless of the session size?

3. Consistent Artistic ability: Does this physician typically produce natural looking hairlines, crown swirls, illusion of hair density regardless of the hair transplant patient's hair characteristics?

4. Preferences: Does this surgeon/clinic meet my personal preferences?

I hope this helps.

Bill

Well said Bill.

On paper it looks easy. All of it. Why do you think there are so many ht clinics around the world churning out bad work. There are doctors new to the field who think it's an easy way to make a buck. The doctors regarded as "top" doctors obviously know different. They put in long hours while their necks and backs are breaking. It's meticulous and tedious at best. They do it because they love what they do and it's not because they think it's easy.

Success breeds success. Thats why some doctors who have an established track record of successful results, like those doctors in the coaliton, will work hard to make sure every one of their patients look as good as the previous one did. And thats more about dedication and devotion more than any discussion of their technical ability.

And that is the key in making someone sucessful, they can match the attention to detail and high expectations to their ability to consistently achieve high results.

If you go to someone who does not have this track record or verifiable results in more than the "picture perfect" type displays that some surgeons use, incorrectly, to characterize all their work, then you might be the guy who dont end up in either the doctors photo album for marketing his results, or worse yet, you end up with a result much less that what you had hoped for.

Thats why you need to be careful in what someone says when they tout their ability, just traveling the globe and attending workshops or saying you are in some other country "training" other doctors is irrelevant, the only thing that matters is consistent and verifiable results that you find to satisfy your expectations.

Thats why it is so critical someone takes their time and decides on who is the best for what you want to have done

Looking at Trump's hair somehow gives me the urge to *not* want hair; this coming from someone who would trade Fort Knox for an extra 3k in my donor....

Tons of information in this thread; on a conceptual level, I've likened the quality of an HT and it's surgeons to cooking, which I'm a fan of....on a superficial level, when I battle Iron Chef Japan we are using virtually the same ingredients and trying to achieve the same goal; however, they have such passion, and understand the science AND art of food so well that they can wield their tools in such a way to produce a result that I, and most, never could.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!