Gorpy goes for number 2

Gorpy

Well guys, I went with another HT today. The purpose of this one was to fill in with a little more density. As many of you know I have been thinking about doing this for a while.

Here are the details; I went to Dr. Keene again. She is really a fine surgeon with vast amounts of experience and knowledge. I received 1000 grafts. One thousand you say? By today's standards that is miniscule. Well, yes and no. I have my reasons.

1) That's a total of 3700 grafts in the front half of my head (my previous HT was 2700). I really don't want to use any more precious grafts or spend any more money on that part of my head.

2) Also, my laxity is good but not great and my density is a little below average. I don't like over taxing my scalp. So I'm conservative - so what?

3) I really didn't need a whole bunch more grafts in the area. I looked pretty good, just needed a little extra.

4) 1000 grafts has many meanings. By that I mean grafts and hair counts can vary dramatically. We used many combined FU's and some naturally occuring double FU's. The result is close to 3000 hairs, as opposed to the average 2.2 hairs per graft, which would have resulted in 2200 hairs. Then if you consider doctors who place mostly 1 and 2 hair grafts, this is more like 2000 of those.

5) Lastly, recovery is much easier from a small procedure. I could tell right away that this one is much easier than the first.

I'll post pictures when I get a chance.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Well guys, I went with another HT today. The purpose of this one was to fill in with a little more density. As many of you know I have been thinking about doing this for a while.

Here are the details; I went to Dr. Keene again. She is really a fine surgeon with vast amounts of experience and knowledge. I received 1000 grafts. One thousand you say? By today's standards that is miniscule. Well, yes and no. I have my reasons.

1) That's a total of 3700 grafts in the front half of my head (my previous HT was 2700). I really don't want to use any more precious grafts or spend any more money on that part of my head.

2) Also, my laxity is good but not great and my density is a little below average. I don't like over taxing my scalp. So I'm conservative - so what?

3) I really didn't need a whole bunch more grafts in the area. I looked pretty good, just needed a little extra.

4) 1000 grafts has many meanings. By that I mean grafts and hair counts can vary dramatically. We used many combined FU's and some naturally occuring double FU's. The result is close to 3000 hairs, as opposed to the average 2.2 hairs per graft, which would have resulted in 2200 hairs. Then if you consider doctors who place mostly 1 and 2 hair grafts, this is more like 2000 of those.

5) Lastly, recovery is much easier from a small procedure. I could tell right away that this one is much easier than the first.

I'll post pictures when I get a chance.

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album

Gorpy,

Hey...congratulations on the 2nd HT bro. If 1000 grafts is what you wanted, then don't let anyone tell you differently. 1000 grafts aka 3000 hairs should add some more density in the front, and depending on what the doctor did, should help refine the hairline some as well. I'll be looking forward to seeing your pictures!

Bill

Hey Gorpy..

Congrats on the new HT procedure. From my conversation with Dr Keene, she is really tops in her knowledge and professionalism. She personally called me after my inquiry, as opposed to a sales consultant, assistant etc. She answered questions, responded to emails and seems like she has it together. Most important, she turns out superb work...the most obvious reason you are going back to her again. She may be a bit more conservative in terms of graft/donor/density placement, no? But this is NOT a bad thing per se. Looking forward to seeing your results and hearing your happy outcome.

Mike SF

Gorpy-

You sly devil you..... icon_cool.gif. I knew from your posts you were contemplating but to keep us out of the picture 'til you're done..........shame on you! icon_biggrin.gif

Hey.......congrats to you. I think what you did with the 1000 grafts will accomplish your goals. You're crown has held on for you so you really just needed more density in front. From your pics, I think your face is nicely framed at the temples and the hairline looks good.....more density is never a bad that.

I have a question for you.................how many grafts per sq cm was Dr. Keene able to boost you to without shaving the recipient site (or did she shave it?)?? I'm very curious as I, too, have thought about densing up my frontal 1/3 along with having a little hairline/widows peak/temple work done, but I'd really like to know what kind of density can be achieved without shaving down?? I'm very curious about this, my friend.

Well done...........I look forward to seeing the pics as you have time to post them.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

It's not the size.............. icon_biggrin.gif

Good for you Gorpy!!!!

You have been a mainstay here for quite awhile now, and if you feel you need a 1000 grafts or so to refine your look, then by all means, bully for you!!!!!!!

Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge with all of us.

Good Luck and Happy Growing!!!!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Originally posted by hairbank:

Gorpy-

You sly devil you..... icon_cool.gif. I knew from your posts you were contemplating but to keep us out of the picture 'til you're done..........shame on you! icon_biggrin.gif

Hey.......congrats to you. I think what you did with the 1000 grafts will accomplish your goals. You're crown has held on for you so you really just needed more density in front. From your pics, I think your face is nicely framed at the temples and the hairline looks good.....more density is never a bad thing.

I have a question for you.................how many grafts per sq cm was Dr. Keene able to boost you to without shaving the recipient site (or did she shave it?)?? I'm very curious as I, too, have thought about densing up my frontal 1/3 along with having a little hairline/widows peak/temple work done, but I'd really like to know what kind of density can be achieved without shaving down?? I'm very curious about this, my friend.

Well done...........I look forward to seeing the pics as you have time to post them.

Oops! That's what I get for trying to edit my poor spelling on a previous post........sorry for the dup, fellas! icon_wink.gif

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

First of all, thanks to all of you for your support. It REALLY does make a difference.

Eman, in my case, I wouldn't really call it hair greed. I'll post some pics to show why I think I needed this to get where I wanted.

Bank, I actually didn't ask Dr. Keene about the density per cm2. We just discussed the strategy of where to place them. Plus, as I mentioned before, density is also relative to the number of hairs. HOWEVER, my Spidey like Sense allowed me to estimate graft density icon_biggrin.gif , I think it was about 25 per cm2 in some areas, less in others - keeping in mind that it was just to fill in areas that needed it most.

Dr. Keene can certainly go at a higher density than that, even without shaving the recipient area. I don't want to start a war here guys, but Dr. Keene does not agree that shaving or buzzing the head allows for better determination of the true exit angle of the hair. She lectures on it regularly to the medical community. If you have technical questions as to her reasoning, I suggest you ask her. I won't pretend to know all of the technical details. Just keep in mind that doctors do not agree on everything.

BTW - Dr. Keene is the Chairperson of the ISHRS convention this fall in Vegas.

Also - since this was a small procedure Dr. Keene and I had a great conversation for a couple of hours during the procedure. At first she is busy counting grafts and incisions so she can't talk much, but after that, while SHE was meticulously placing the grafts we were able to discuss every thing from cloning to lateral slits.

P.S. I'm on drugs right now, so please excuse any typos or garbled sentences icon_smile.gif

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album

You Go Gorpy! I am jealous now! As you know I am considering a HTP with Dr.Keene. I have been doing my resaerch with the help of this great forum. I live in Az but wasn't convinced on going to Dr.Keene. Her pic's don't seem to be as dramatic as let's say Dr. Hasson's pic's. In

fact some of Dr. Hassons results seem a bit unbelievable.

Please keep us posted as to your progress.

Keep on Growin!

Gorpy,

Congratulations on HT2!

Who here would not want 1000 more grafts??? It will make a difference. I think you are wise not to tax the scalp, too much tension is tough on the grafts and the closure. I think it may tend to reduces the shockloss as well. I never had any that I can tell. JMO - I am no expert.

I chose the conservative route like you as well. I do not look good bald, so buzzing my hair was not an option for me, therefore, I chose a doc who would not require it.

Love to see the pics, heal fast my friend! icon_wink.gif

NoBuzz

Here's a couple of pics showing why I wanted some more. Notice the slight see through of the temple and behind area.

14.5cropweb.jpg

The second one shows how the center line is pretty good, but the temple areas and behind could his some thickness.

16-002web.jpg

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album

Glad for you Gorpy. I personally believe that 1000 grafts will make a hell of a difference especially averaging 3000 hairs.

I have followed your progress with 1st HT and thought that Dr. Keene did an awesome job. It is easy for the surgeon to just start placing grafts but she framed your face well and provided a very natural look for your age and hair texture. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Keep us posted.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Thanks Nervous,

I'm hoping there is minimal shock loss as well. It certainly feels better than last time and seems to be healing quickly.

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album

Hey Gorpy,

The work looks great. It appears all the grafts were placed in the temples and frontal 1/3, correct? Also, Dr. Keene didn't require you to shave down, correct? It looks like your hair is just wet where the grafts were placed but I wanted to make sure.

I'll be anxious to follow the progess..........happy healing and growing! icon_cool.gif

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

That's correct Bank. The grafts were placed in the temples and frontal 3rd.

The hair is not cut. My existing hair is just wet and nappy, it's kind of hard to see. They were constantly spraying it with what I think was Saline solution during the procedure.

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album

Gorpy,

Thanks for posting your most recent pictures. Your case is very similar to mine, I also just got a small HT and I was looking for a bit of refining and added density. You look very good and the results will be great, it's nice for me to see such a similar situation.

Hi HK,

After looking at your blog, I see what you mean. I look forward to watching your progress. Your transplant looks good!

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album

It really looks great, Gorpy. Really. Dr. Keene makes some of the most natural hairlines around. Continued good luck!

My blog.

HT1: 4063 grafts by Dr. Hasson, 12/9/03

HT2: 3537 grafts by Dr. Hasson, 5/15/06

Total grafts: 7,600

Congrats Gorpy

I had 1400 my first & 1476 the 2nd.. My scalp was really tight the 2nd time so I cannot see how any doc could safely take more skin out.. I am going for my 3rd and my doc ( Dr. True) said we will do as many as we can SAFELY.. No sense in making a wider scar due to tension.. I like the conservative approach as it allows me to adjust to my needs as I age.. another 1400-2000 should make a big difference

Good luck

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!