Hair Transplant at an Early Age

I wanted to know what are you guys take on getting a hair transplant at an early age. I am 22 years old and 4 out of 8 doctors have told me I am too young for one. Those doctors say I should just use minox or propecia, but i used rogaine foam with barely any results for 9 months. The foam really thinned my hairline out. I am now using topical finasteride for 2 months, but I still want a transplant.

I wanted to know what are you guys take on getting a hair transplant at an early age. I am 22 years old and 4 out of 8 doctors have told me I am too young for one. Those doctors say I should just use minox or propecia, but i used rogaine foam with barely any results for 9 months. The foam really thinned my hairline out. I am now using topical finasteride for 2 months, but I still want a transplant.

montrose02,

what is your situation? what is your level of loss? i think posting some pictures on here would be useful to see if you are a candidate or not. at 22, despite being early, a HT doesnt have to be turned down by docs, there are cases on here such as myself who have had HTs by recommended doctors due to the fact that we indeed were at that level where a HT could work out for us...you have to remember that a HT should always be a last resort esp in young guys. but anyhow, i would recommed to post a few clear pics so we can give you better feedback.

az!

3608 grafts with dr h.rahal, june 2007

1623 grafts- dr h. rahal, november 2008

total- 5231 grafts

My Hair Loss Website

i can perfectly understand why you would want a transplant. Your front is pretty much gone.

Ultimately, its up to you. There are several people here under 25 who have had a procedure done, myself included(twice, and im 22)

Once you go down the road, deviation is not really possible and you may end up without not enough donor. But i suppose if they arent too aggressive on the hairline and the density you should be relatively safe although there are no guarantees in life.

look for thanas, azzas and my own thread for inspiration.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11/04-07 - 800-1600 ish grafts - danish clinic - poor results

12/02-08 - 2764 grafts - Dr. Devroye - good result but needs hairline density

03/12-10 - 1429 grafts - Dr. Mohmand - result pending

Feel free to visit my picture thread

My Hair Transplant Photos - Surgery with Dr. Devroye

Young lads below 25 unite!

Montrose,

Im no Dr, and im not sure which Dr's you have spoken to, but younger guys on here have taken transplants with far less of a pattern than yourself. So, keep researchingm find YOUR top Dr, and show him your concerns.

What I would however suggest regarding your tight "dreadlocks". The extra pressure they are exerting, "pulling" the hair is not a positive. Could possibly have some effect on your future situation.

Regarding HT, you seem to have good hair charecteristics, without seeing your donor area, and therefore, you should be real positive regarding any HT result.

Good luck my friend! Research, research, and then some more!!!

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

oh boy, i cant believe im gonna say this but IF you decided to go the HT route it might be a good option for you, given your characteristics, and how your front has thinned quite a bit...

how is the back??? this is quite important...

im not sure how much you know about transplants but im 24, and had 2 already... they come with issues. and transplants DO come with limitations... be aware that future loss is VERY POSSIBLE. and depending on how much loss you will have as time goes by impacts what you can do with that front area you want worked on... how low to create the hairline, and how DENSE you can implant the grafts.. luckily it looks like you have curly hair, so you may be able to pull of a 'dense' look using less grafts, easier than someone with straight hair could.HOW YOU MANAGE YOUR AVALABLE DONOR HAIR IT KEY... be SO wise with this decision though.. do not rush... i agree with others that if you feel you have done enough research, KEEP RESEARCHING.. this can often be a make or break decision, and you want to be VERY sure.. if ANY doubts come in dont do it, or WAIT LONGER atleast... very very few people with MPB get one transplant and are set for life. be aware of that... and once you go down the HT road its extremely difficult, if not impossible to go back.... many, even with todays techniques wish they could go back... i dont say this to scare you, i say it cause its true and you need to be aware that the decision for a HT is NOT an easy one and should NOT be taken lightly or made based on your hurt(over hairloss) alone.... it never hurts to wait a little while and do as MUCH research as possible in the meantime..... ask questions and DONT buy into the HYPE many clinics will try to sell you.. many do NOT have your best interests at heart.. believe what you SEE from real posters and what those with nothing to gain tell you.... and if you are considering a doctor, SEE HIS PAST WORK IN PERSON IF POSSIBLE. not just his cherry picked patients... a transplant in a photo can EASILY be misleading, due to angles and lighting... seening the work in person truly is the only way to see the REAL story.

infact id stay away from any clinic who you can tell takes deceptive pics(befores and afters in different lighing and at different angles)...

good luck man

*** RESULTS WILL 100%, without a DOUBT, VARY***

I'm usually very cautious about young people getting HTs. Looking at your picture it seems your sides are very thick. If that is the case it could help with a HT down the road. I do not think I have seen many young people thin in the front like that but with such thick sides.

4374 grafts-7/2/2008-Dr Rahal

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

From the pics that I have sent to a few doctors. One doc told me I would need 1300 to 1500 grafts for $3/graft(VirginiaSurgical.com). Then another doc told me I would need 4000 hairs for a price of $5500(Dr.Yousefi from 600hairclub.com). Also his price including everything even the post op visit. I live in the DC area, and I emailed Dr.Vogel (who is listed on this site as a very good doctor in my area) my pics but he said I am too young for a transplant. Any other good doctors in the DC, MD, VA area.

• Moderators

From looking at your 2 pictures, 1300 - 1500 will not be enough. 4000 is probably too many because of your young age and not knowing how much additional hair loss you'll have. You need to keep a good amount of donor saved for later. I would try to go with around 2800 - 3000 grafts with a high hairline. The curly hair should make it look a little thicker and lower, so I wouldn't try to put in too many. You can always add more later if you feel you need to.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Originally posted by Montrose02:

From the pics that I have sent to a few doctors. One doc told me I would need 1300 to 1500 grafts for $3/graft(VirginiaSurgical.com). Then another doc told me I would need 4000 hairs for a price of $5500(Dr.Yousefi from 600hairclub.com). Also his price including everything even the post op visit. I live in the DC area, and I emailed Dr.Vogel (who is listed on this site as a very good doctor in my area) my pics but he said I am too young for a transplant. Any other good doctors in the DC, MD, VA area.

Montrose I would research research and research. I do not know the doctors you quoted. I'm not a doctor but I think it would take more than 1500 grafts. Also 1 doctor quoted you in hairs not grafts. As you can see by my signature they are not the same. This is a huge decision which you really do not wnat to make a mistake with so please ask every question you can think of. Most HT doctors see a patient post op free of charge so dont let that be a major factor. Have you seen either of these doctors work from a neutral source (such as patient posted pictures or reviews) as Lost My Swagger suggested? Good luck!!! icon_smile.gif

4374 grafts-7/2/2008-Dr Rahal

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

Montrose:

Your donor area needs to be carefully managed given your young age. Accordingly, you need to be very careful with your choice of doctor if you decide to go ahead with a transplant. I suggest you consult with some of the top doctors on this site like Shapiro Medical Group, Hasson & Wong, Feller, etc. You should be able can do an initial consultation over the telephone.

Formerly TooThin

Your loss is actually quite similar to mine; I also began the HT process when I was 22, as well. I can totally understand why you would want to get a HT, and in the right hands I don't doubt you can get a great result and be *much much* happier about your locks.

It's always important, but ever-more when you are young, make sure you go to a top clinic and get an appropriate session size.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

From what I hear, dreadlocks can cause traction alopecia (i.e. more hair loss) because of the pulling and tugging of hair. So it might be in your best long term interest to cut the locks off whether you do a transplant or not. And there is no clinical evidence to show that topical finasteride is as effective as the pill form. So I'd get on the real thing first of all to keep what you have left.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Montrose,

I was just going to say that about the dreads. They do cause traction alopecia. I had dreads for a few years in my teens and I beleive that is also the reason why my right temple was far more receded than my left. either way, I think you would be a good candidate, I had mine at 22 and I do not regret it.

good luck,

2998 grafts/ Dr. Rahal/ 9/11/2007

My Hair Loss Weblog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Rahal

Pretty damn happy