Concerns/questions about HT and surgeons to choose

Hi All,

I just registered to this site today and this is my first post.

First of all, I would like to sincerely congratulate and thank Pat for creating this website and doing yeoman service for all those planning for HT. Hats off to you.

I am planning for HT myself (I am 31 years old and am losing hair near the front and a some on the crown and am very sensitive about it. My wife does not think i need an HT, as my hair seems to be overall, especially in the sides and back, quite thick and dense and she seems to love the way it is now , but I feel it has thinned considerably in the areas mentioned above over the last few years and have decided to go ahead with a HT procedure). I had first approached Bosley about 6 months ago, and was not impressed with the consulting and meeting with the doctor that I went through. It seemed highly commercial. I was told by the doctor there that I was a NW5 when I can swear that I am probably not more than a 3 or at worst 4. The doctor even commented that he had the same amount of hair that i had when he was 47 (before he had HT) and that he had 17 years over me. That did not do anything to boost my confidence or trust in him.

I continued my research and then chose MHR, and have now even scheduled a procedure with them by paying the initial deposit (for an approximately 2000 graft procedure that they suggested, i am not even sure if i need that much). I have done extensive research over the internet (at least i thought i had, and I dont know how i missed this discussion forum until now) and have been browsing this topic for almost 8-10 hours a day for the last couple of weeks. I had researched the IAHRS web site among others, but did not really realize until now that MHR was not as good as I had thought it was. I just thought that Matt Leavitt was one of the best until I read the posts today here. I am really glad that I came across this site today. I have been reading the posts on this site for the last 5 hours, and I have made a decision to forego the amount I paid to MHR and to call Dr. Ron Shapiro's office first thing tomorrow, to ask him if i can be accepted by them for the procedure. I would have to fly cross country, but will only be too happy to do so, after all that I have read about Dr.Shapiro. (I also was highly impressed by Dr. Bernsteins web site and achievements and had a tough time deciding who I should talk to). Either way, I have decided to not go ahead with MHR. I just cant believe how I ended up focussing only on Bosley and MHR until now.

I would also like to bring to the attention to the members on this thread, this website listed below, that has raised a lot of concerns about HT from those who have undergone the procedure. I have read these messages over and over again tens of times, and it just gives me the creeps to think about HT , after reading this. I am hoping that some of the members who have undergone the process and some of the esteemed doctors who I noticed are also members of this site, may be able to kindly comment upon.

http://home1.gte.net/dschrode/newtransplant-tales.htm

I am glad to be part of this group and will keep this site updated about my next steps (I intend calling Dr. Ron Shapiro's office first thing tomorrow, to begin with). I owe a bunch of thanks to Pat and all of the members whose inputs have been invaluable to me.

icare4myhair

2523 grafts - Dr.Ron Shapiro, Sep7, 2006

GRAFT STATISTICS

1hair -#grafts,#hairs- 450 , 450

2hair -#grafts,#hairs-1373, 2746

3hair -#grafts,#hairs- 650 , 1950

4hair -#grafts,#hairs- 50 , 200

TOTAL-#grafts,#hairs-2523, 5346

My Hair Loss Weblog

Hi All,

I just registered to this site today and this is my first post.

First of all, I would like to sincerely congratulate and thank Pat for creating this website and doing yeoman service for all those planning for HT. Hats off to you.

I am planning for HT myself (I am 31 years old and am losing hair near the front and a some on the crown and am very sensitive about it. My wife does not think i need an HT, as my hair seems to be overall, especially in the sides and back, quite thick and dense and she seems to love the way it is now , but I feel it has thinned considerably in the areas mentioned above over the last few years and have decided to go ahead with a HT procedure). I had first approached Bosley about 6 months ago, and was not impressed with the consulting and meeting with the doctor that I went through. It seemed highly commercial. I was told by the doctor there that I was a NW5 when I can swear that I am probably not more than a 3 or at worst 4. The doctor even commented that he had the same amount of hair that i had when he was 47 (before he had HT) and that he had 17 years over me. That did not do anything to boost my confidence or trust in him.

I continued my research and then chose MHR, and have now even scheduled a procedure with them by paying the initial deposit (for an approximately 2000 graft procedure that they suggested, i am not even sure if i need that much). I have done extensive research over the internet (at least i thought i had, and I dont know how i missed this discussion forum until now) and have been browsing this topic for almost 8-10 hours a day for the last couple of weeks. I had researched the IAHRS web site among others, but did not really realize until now that MHR was not as good as I had thought it was. I just thought that Matt Leavitt was one of the best until I read the posts today here. I am really glad that I came across this site today. I have been reading the posts on this site for the last 5 hours, and I have made a decision to forego the amount I paid to MHR and to call Dr. Ron Shapiro's office first thing tomorrow, to ask him if i can be accepted by them for the procedure. I would have to fly cross country, but will only be too happy to do so, after all that I have read about Dr.Shapiro. (I also was highly impressed by Dr. Bernsteins web site and achievements and had a tough time deciding who I should talk to). Either way, I have decided to not go ahead with MHR. I just cant believe how I ended up focussing only on Bosley and MHR until now.

I would also like to bring to the attention to the members on this thread, this website listed below, that has raised a lot of concerns about HT from those who have undergone the procedure. I have read these messages over and over again tens of times, and it just gives me the creeps to think about HT , after reading this. I am hoping that some of the members who have undergone the process and some of the esteemed doctors who I noticed are also members of this site, may be able to kindly comment upon.

I am glad to be part of this group and will keep this site updated about my next steps (I intend calling Dr. Ron Shapiro's office first thing tomorrow, to begin with). I owe a bunch of thanks to Pat and all of the members whose inputs have been invaluable to me.

icare4myhair

GRAFT STATISTICS

My Hair Loss Weblog

ic4mh,

Glad you happened across this site before you ended up with Bosley or your scheduled HT with MHR. The minor loss of deposit is worth it. These companies are inconsistent, at best, and have butchered many a HT candidate. If you decide to have a HT, do the research then go with the best choice for you. There are many excellent surgeons to choose from.

What's your current regimen? Do you take finasteride (propecia/proscar) or use minoxidil? I'm assuming you're familiar with them. If not, use the "Find" feature here to do some research.

Dr. Shapiro is excellent. Keep everyone posted as to your progress and what you decide to do.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Hairbank,

Thank you for your response.

I am aware of Propecia and ROgaine, but have not taken any medication so far. I was told at my consultation visits with Bosley and MHR doctors that they will put me on propecia post my HT, to minimize shock loss and to prevent native hair from falling out.

I have set up a consultation appointment with Matt from Shapiro Medical for tomorrow.

I will certainly keep you posted.

Also, I was curious to know if you or anyone had any comments about the link I attached. Attaching it again.

Thanks,

icare4myhair

icare4myhair

GRAFT STATISTICS

My Hair Loss Weblog

ic4mh-

You should get on Propecia (Finasteride) before surgery to start strengthening any existing MPB susceptible hair that may be on its way out. Shock loss is a concern and if it's in the final stages of loss it may not come back if shocked out.

Propecia is a pill taken orally, very simple. Minoxidil is a different story. While I do believe it's worthwhile, I couldn't commit to the required regimen.

I've seen the site from the link you posted before. There are some horror stories out there for HT's, no doubt. However, since I've been a member of this forum, I've seen nothing like this from the Docs who are members of the Coalition.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Hey man, welcome to the group. I haven't had a HT myself and am extremely scared of it too. The people here know alot and give good advice. You can actually send photos to some docs online if you want to give that a try. I consulted with Dr. Bernstein and was pretty impressed with him. He's is holding an open house on Oct 4th so I'm gonna check that out. I'm also thinking of consulting with Dr. Feller too. Where are you located?

Originally posted by hairbank:

Glad you happened across this site before you ended up with Bosley or your scheduled HT with MHR. The minor loss of deposit is worth it. These companies are inconsistent, at best, and have butchered many a HT candidate......

While I've had two HT's with MHR and am happy with the results, after spending more time researching I would have chosen Ron Shapiro or H&W if I had to do it again. I believe that my results would have been even better.

As long as your planned HT with MHR is not soon, they should give you your deposit back. If they don't, sue them in your local small claims court and bring some of the posts from this board to show the Judge why you didn't want to go through with it. The judge just might order they refund your money.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I am following up with an update from the above thread. As I had mentioned above, I happened upon this site and followed up with Matt Zupan a couple of days before my originally scheduled MHR surgery, and had an extremely long chat with him over phone. He was just great. At the end of it I scheduled a surgery with Dr. Ron Shapiro on Sep 7 (I was lucky that someone had cancelled at the last minute and I was able to get this date, just a wek from the day I spoke to Matt). Based on my discussion with Matt he had roughly estimated that i may need about 2000-2500 in front one-third and about 500 near the top crown

I flew into bloomington on Sep 6th afternoon , had a face-face consultation with both Matt and Dr.Ron Shapiro.

Dr. Don Shapiro commented that I had very coarse/thick hair (I am indian wth dark hair) in the back and donor area and felt that reasonable density/coverage could be accomplished with lower number of grafts. Dr. Shapiro felt that I may have a total of about 8000-9000 donor hairs. I had also orginally planned have some grafts inserted near the lower temple along the sides, where I have thinned. Because of the highly coarse hair, Dr.Shapiro suggested that we dont do this now, as the appearance would be more the new haor there may be more coarse and may not blend with the finer hair there.

I completed my procedure with Dr Ron shapiro yesterday, Sep 7th (9am-about 8pm). Simialr to most of the other posts, I had the injections (about 20 in the donor area and 20 in the front, not too painful), had my donor area shave as well as the area near my hairline shaved where I was quite thin, which was where the majority of the gafts were planned for. The top postion of the crown where I had lost hair was also shaved where a small number of grafts were planned. I was not comfortable getting a buzz cut on the top, between the front and the crown, where i had hair long enough to be able to be able to achieve some concealment. Dr.Shapiro indicated that he would not cut it short if he did not have to and if he could work through it, which is how it ended uphappening.

I basically had somewhere between 2000-2500 grafts done (Matt will send me the final numbers along with the photos, I shall post some of them when I get them), mostly in the frontal 1/3 and some on the top of the crown (leaving the slightly lower half of the crown, where I also have a small bald spot, untouched keeping the future in mind and probably any benefits I may be able to get from propecia). The area between the frontal 1/3 and the top of the crown, about 2-3 fingers width, was also untouched as i had fairly hair in that region. Dr.Shapiro inserted some small amount of 3's in this region wherever possible.

So far i feel quite good. No swelling yet or too much pain. i am trying to follow instructions as best as possible. I have also been put on propecia (today was the first I have ever started taking propecia, beginning the day after the surgery). I had a lot of baby hair on my lower temples almost reaching above my eyes, and some of it was removed today by laser to make it more subtle and to give a better appearance. I had my first shampoo today, Sep 8th, at SMG, the day after the surgery. I am flying back cross country tonight.

As for post HT regimen, I only intend to take propecia, and will possible look at taking Dermavite that Dr.shapiro suggested was very good for hair (it contains Biotin, Zinc and magnesium). Other than this , possibly MSM. But for now, I intend to stick to just propecia. After about three months, Dr. Shapiro asked me to look at using Rogaine, if needed. He indicated I may end up with a density of 30-35 in the front (originally about 0-10), and about 40 near the top crown (originally about 15-20) and since he did not do much to the region in between, probably about 35-40 there as well. I am hoping propecia may help too.

I cant even begin to say how great the entire SMG team was during this whole process - Matt, Jacque, Kelly, Christina, Janne, Jane (I may have missed some names) and of course the great Dr. Shapiro. I felt completely at home. Dr.Shapiro is so down to earth that one will be amazed, considering he is one of the best in his field.

In fact , one of the senior members of the Hampton inn, who drove me to SMG, told me that he and Dr. Shapiro went a real long way, were good friends, and simply stated that Shapiro was the best and that no one who ever went to him ended up complaining (no one ever bitched was the term he used :-0). He also mentioned that he had frequently given a ride to celebrities to the SMG, though he did not name any. This was my first ever trip to Minnesota, and i found it to be a great place with extremely friendly people.

Finally, my sincere thanks again to Pat, all those who responded to my earlier post and of course to the entire SMG team. I dont know how my hair is going to turn out, and I am keeping my fingers crossed. I wil be happy with anything that is better than how it looks today :-)

icare4myhair

GRAFT STATISTICS

My Hair Loss Weblog

Congrats on going to Dr. Shapiro whom I have read and feel personally to be one of the best HT doctors.

I look forward to seeing your pictures, so get them posted icon_smile.gif.

Like you I went and spoke with and almost jumped into one of the "hair mills", but thankfully did (and continue to do) research on HTs and doctors.

We are all happy that you did not make that mistake. Congrats again and look forward to tracking your progress

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

• 1 month later...

Eman,

Thanks for your comments & wishes (sorry I somehow missed your response).

I have since created a blog with description of my progress and some pics.

icare4myhair

GRAFT STATISTICS

My Hair Loss Weblog

Mark,

Thanks for pointing that out. I have now included hair count in my signature. It adds up to 5346 (I wish I had the extra 200 icon_smile.gif )

icare4myhair

GRAFT STATISTICS

My Hair Loss Weblog

• Administrators

Icare4myhair,

Wow, what a scary story with a happy ending :-) I'm glad that this community helped guide you to an optimal result. As you know from doing your research, you found your way into the hands of one of the very best.

Thanks for sharing your story on this topic and on your blog. Your post op results look right on. It will be fun to see your hair grow in.

Best wishes for great growth. Pat

P.S. I appreciate you providing your hair counts in addition to graft counts.

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Thanks, Pat.

It was scary all right,with me almost on the doorstep of a MHR procedure. I guess the timing of my chancing upon this site was impeccable.

I would attribute it to my last minute desperate browsing of the internet, the weekend before my scheduled procedure (subconsciously perhaps, to find one small reason why I should not go ahead with MHR). As it turned out, your site came to my rescue in the nick of time. No amount of words will be enough to appreciate the great work you are doing.

I will keep this forum updated with my progress. Today is exactly 1 months and 10 days after my procedure. I am beginning to lose my transplanted grafts. Will post some more pics in a couple of months, to review progress

Several people in similar positions have since PM'd me asking about the the doctor, the procedure, cost and other related HT information. It feels really gratifying to do my bit to help those in the quest for HT knowledge and to give back to this site.

icare4myhair

GRAFT STATISTICS

My Hair Loss Weblog