Nioxin Question

Hey guys,

When using Nioxin, is it really important to use the shampoo, then the "scalp therapy" and then the treatment, or could one use just the shampoo and get the same effect. I guess I'm just trying to figure out if its just a gimmic to get me to buy more products. Whats actually doing the work?

Thanks

Hey guys,

When using Nioxin, is it really important to use the shampoo, then the "scalp therapy" and then the treatment, or could one use just the shampoo and get the same effect. I guess I'm just trying to figure out if its just a gimmic to get me to buy more products. Whats actually doing the work?

Thanks

Bill,

I'm not being a smart ass I'm just trying to get clarificiation. If it doesn't grow hair (which i didn't think it did anyway) why do a lot of the posters on this site advocate for it? I mean on the back it does say cleans out DHT? A lot of people have said that they alternate Nioxin and Nirzol? If they really don't do anything then I'd be better off saving my money? You as well as some of the other poster on this site seem to have a pretty educated opinion, so I'd really love to hear what you think.

~Arabian

Hi

Bill is right. Reason why people rotate is beacuse they like Nioxin for the way it leaves their hair ( not for regrowth) Nizoral can be a bit harsh on the hair so it's nice to alternate with a good shampoo and conditioner..

It will not regrow anything

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

AN,

Just because we don't believe that you will get regrowth does not mean that it is not a quality product. I personally believe that it will help to limit further loss and it will help keep your hair healthy. That in itself is worth the extra cash. We just don't want anyone to have fantasies of new growth from such products.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Hi

Yes, it's a quality shampoo but I would argue whether is prevents further loss other than providing a healthy scalp which many other shampoos do as well at half the price.. It does feel nice though as I picked some up a while ago at 50% at a hair salon.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

I've never seen any study shown proving Nioxin regrows hair. The info on back does say "fights toxins like DHT"......while I like and use the product, this statement sounds like the misleading ones I used to hear about in college marketing classes. You know, they tell the truth......kind of icon_cool.gif.

Nizoral is a different animal.....the active ingredient, ketoconazole, has an anti-fungal effect on the scalp which is crucial in the male pattern alopecia process, and has been shown to have a anti-dht effect. So, for me, I use Finasteride to block DHT, Nizoral to keep the scalp healthy, then Nioxin as a quality scalp/hair care product.

Would I keep/gain as much hair without the Nioxin part of the equation? I'm 99.9% sure, but I like the shampoo and believe it's one of the best to use.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

I will echo Hairbank's response.

I use Nioxin mainly because I like the way it makes my hair and scalp feel. Regarding dht removal, it makes me wonder if any generic shampoo removes excess dht from the scalp??

It's the dht under the scalp that does the real damage.

NoBuzz

Hi ya

There are many other shampoos which claim the whole anti DHT or removal .. Nioxin, revivogen, avacor just on the short list. I highly doubt any actual have any anti- hairloss effect.. A shampoo which clenses the scalp can say it removes DHT.. Of course, it removes a lot of things..

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

NIOXIN SMIOXIN!!!!!! NO shampoo regrows hair! It's all marketing hype. The only one that has any validity is Nizoral. Nizoral contains ketoconazole, which is an anti-fungal medication. In some cases this helps to eliminate any fungus that may be causing or attributing to hair loss.

1st HT 1-5-05 - 1894 FUT's Dr. Glenn Charles

2nd HT 12-18-06 - 1542 FUT's Dr. Glenn Charles

Total: 3436 FUT's

Current Protocol: Propecia Daily, Laser Therapy EOD 20 mins.

I know that this is just venting but it really does kind of piss me off that they can advertise products do something they don't. One would assume that if its against the law in NC to sing off key (true fact) then they would have a law to stop people from this kind of misleading advertising.

They don't have to say it grows hair. Why? Cause you just walk into a Supercuts or other hair cutting studio that sells the stuff and almost all the people that work there will tell you it grows hair! I spent 20 minutes once trying to explain to this hairdresser why it doesn't actually "grow" hair, but rather at best might promote a healthy scalp or make your existing hair look and feel better. We eventually just had to agree to disagree.

Originally posted by Neptune:

They don't have to say it grows hair. Why? Cause you just walk into a Supercuts or other hair cutting studio that sells the stuff and almost all the people that work there will tell you it grows hair! I spent 20 minutes once trying to explain to this hairdresser why it doesn't actually "grow" hair, but rather at best might promote a healthy scalp or make your existing hair look and feel better. We eventually just had to agree to disagree.

Yes, it's amazing how many hair stylists promote it as a hair growth shampoo.icon_rolleyes.gif

'06/2500 w/Dr. Keene

'07/1500 w/Dr. Keene

My Hair Loss Weblog