funding for a grad student

Hello all. First post. I'm a grad student who was given a quote by Dr. Konior in Chicago of $10,000. All of the financing options I've tried have not panned out (capital one, care credit) due to my average credit rating and the current state of the market. I could definitely do a monthly payment plan around $200. Do you guys have any suggestions? I'd really like to get the procedure done this summer. Thanks in advance.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Hello all. First post. I'm a grad student who was given a quote by Dr. Konior in Chicago of $10,000. All of the financing options I've tried have not panned out (capital one, care credit) due to my average credit rating and the current state of the market. I could definitely do a monthly payment plan around $200. Do you guys have any suggestions? I'd really like to get the procedure done this summer. Thanks in advance.

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

Just to clarify. It was $10,000 for 2,000 grafts. Also, the meeting I had with Dr. Konior was highly informative and he was very helpful.

aaron1234, other than trying another financing company such as Chase, your only alternative is to put it on a credit card if you don't have the cash.

I have been in contact with Dr. Alexander for my second procedure. He charges $4.00/graft and he uses Chase Health Advance which is interest free loan for 2 years.

I think the dr. in Vegas offers interest free financing as well (along with five green chips)....

J/k about the poker chips. icon_wink.gif

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Pardon my ignorance on the matter. I would like to find a way to finance the procedure, and in the meantime help my credit standing. Wouldn't putting $10,000 on a credit card hurt my credit report even more? Also, the one credit card I have now only has a $500 credit limit. Wouldn't this limit prevent me from even making a $10K purchase? Sorry, I know this is more of a financial discussion rather than about hair transplantation. But all of your help is appreciated.

Putting $10k on your credit card wont hurt your credit, but not paying your monthly payment will. Besides putting 10k on a credit card w/ say 14% interest will end up costing you about $35k in 10 years when you are done paying it. Here's what to do! While 10k for 2k grafts isnt terrible it also isnt the cheapest you can get it. Like condoguy said Alexander is $4 a graft and IMO is top5 in the world. So thats 8k instead, Now if you wait say a year and are able to save $200 a month you are now looking at $5600. Financing that much at 24 months will only cost you about $250 a month assuming your credit is half way decent. So instead of paying $35k over 10yrs you wait a year save some money and pay about $8k instead.

Yeah, condoguy.. you are probably right. Thanks for the advice dakota. I probably need to get a co-signer if I want to get the transplant done this summer. And it would probably have to be my parents. And I don't want to tell them about this! I did get a $3,500 credit limit with carecredit.com, but I would need about a $7,000 limit to afford this procedure right now. Being a balding grad student ain't cool.

Sweet! icon_biggrin.gif Now I just need some money. Male prostitution perhaps?!?

Aaron,

Welcome to our discussion forum.

I feel that it is highly important to plan for the long term both in terms of donor hair and finances which includes having a plan for both.

Financing (credit card, personal loan, or other) is certainly an option and will actually help build your credit as long as you pay your bills on time.

Be sure however, that you are planning for the possible need for subsequent procedures. A former baldy like me ended up going under surgery 3 times and I spent almost $30,000.

You may also want to work out a monthly saving plan, a special one, just for this/these procedure(s).

Best wishes,

Bill

"Why dont you get a student loan from someone like Fannie Mae?"

Could I really do that? Even if I use the funds for something else other than tuition? I suppose if the money is simply deposited into my account I could spend it anyway I liked.

That's a great idea. My wife worked on her masters degree and got a federal stafford loan. You could use the money your spending on tuition to pay for the transplant.

She didn't have to start paying the loan back for 6 months after she finished her classes. That's a low interest, good deal. Go to the FAFSA website, or contact you school to get the proceducre.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

AndroGel - once daily

Jogging - 3x per week

Originally posted by aaron1234:

Yeah, condoguy.. you are probably right. Thanks for the advice dakota. I probably need to get a co-signer if I want to get the transplant done this summer. And it would probably have to be my parents. And I don't want to tell them about this! I did get a $3,500 credit limit with carecredit.com, but I would need about a $7,000 limit to afford this procedure right now. Being a balding grad student ain't cool.

If your dad is bald, I assure you he's feeling your pain and might offer you a "scholarship" to help with a transplant.

Both my wife's and my dad have mpb on our side so I'd be glad to help my sons avoid going through this in their 20's.

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

AndroGel - once daily

Jogging - 3x per week

i can relate to you aaron. I'm 25 and using the last thats left of my educational fund to have my HT. I'm going to have to take out a student loan to finish my degree. I didn't want to have to use my educational fund for this, but there was no alternative. I tried all the healthcare financing with no luck. Like you, my credit limit is only 500. I had to explain to my parents what i was going to use the money for, they were very understanding and didn't object. My dad still has a pretty good head of hair, but both my moms brother and father is/was completely bald. She knew it was a very hard thing to deal with. I would say talk to your parents about it, I think they will understand.

Here's the deal. I'm a getting a full-ride to my school and if they discovered I'm taking out a student loan, they'd be suspecting something. Can I take out a student loan without contacting my school?

Also, my dad has a full head of hair so he wouldn't understand. And he is not fond of the whole vanity thing to begin with.

Thanks again everyone for the help. Needless to say I am not going to grad school for accounting and finances. icon_smile.gif

im pretty sure you can take out a student loan without your school knowing. either way it doesn't matter, a student loan can legally be used for paying tutition, buying books and school supplies, paying room and board, etc. I highly doubt your school would investigate your spending of a student loan, and even if they did it would be hard for them to find what you spent it on. I wouldnt worry about getting in trouble for spending it on something other than school. I have plenty of friends who have taken out student loans and used the money on other things. You will most likely need a co-signer so you probably will have to discuss this with your parents. Dont be afraid to talk with them about it, im sure they want you to be happy and will help you.

Ok. But if I need a co-signer either way, I might as well go with a financial company, right? Or the student loans probably have lower interest rates.

As of now, there isn't much difference to me between a $8,000 or $10,000 transplant. I just can't afford either of them. But I'll look around. I'd like to stay within the Chicago region. But I really liked Konior though. Decisions, decisions, decisions.....

Why dont you get a student loan from someone like Fannie Mae?

Most of those loans are an interest only monthly payment until you graduate college.

Interest only loans until you graduate? Sounds like they are doing you a favor! NOT!

Come on Aaron, It sounds like you are very concerned about how you're going to afford this surgery. Thats not good man. IMO you should save some money, wait a while and not cause yourself more stress which in turn could make you lose more hair! Try shaving your head for a while. You may like it.

Originally posted by dakota3:
Why dont you get a student loan from someone like Fannie Mae?

Most of those loans are an interest only monthly payment until you graduate college.

Interest only loans until you graduate? Sounds like they are doing you a favor! NOT!

Come on Aaron, It sounds like you are very concerned about how you're going to afford this surgery. Thats not good man. IMO you should save some money, wait a while and not cause yourself more stress which in turn could make you lose more hair! Try shaving your head for a while. You may like it.

When you take a student loan through Fannie Mae, like I did, you make monthly INTEREST payments. You do not have to pay on the principal borrowed until you are done with school. Thats how it used to be, anyway.

So, yes, they are doing you a favor if you compare that to a bank loan.

I'm not suggesting anyone do this, but if your choices are limited, this is a smart way to borrow.

But I think you should do more research, and at least I know you will get your money's worth through Dr. Konior, so I dont have to worry about telling you to research the doctor, as I've used him before myself.

Do NOT go through anyone other than a bank or a student loan to borrow. Credit card advances are way too high anyway, so that option not being available is a good thing.

Dont get ripped off. A student loan removes the prospect of borrowing from predatory lenders