Smoking/Running

Ty

I have taken really crappy care of my body ever since I left high school three years ago and since that time I have had progressive thinning all over my head, especially in the hairline. While still in high school, I never had hairloss, and I rarely smoked and played sports all the time. Following high school I have smoked a pack a day, not really had any consistent exercise, and have drank heavily prob. at least 2 nights a week... absurd, I know. My dad is a Norwood 5-6. He had lost almost all his hair by the time he GOT TO college.

Heres the sixty four thousand dollar question: Realistically, do you guys think that if I stopped smoking, started running, and slowed down the booze my hair loss would slow down? I am not looking for a miracle here, just opinions. I know it owuld help my cardiovascular health, which promotes blood flow, which is good for hair, right? Once again, I don't expect to stop my hairloss completely, just slow it down... I'm only 21 for Christ's sake.

i would have reason to meet some of unhealtyist people in the community during my daily work ( drug addics,alcoholics, people with mental problems) all of which would lead very unhealty lives. If this was to effect their hair then they should be bald ( men and woman ) and their not icon_smile.gif

HT2 2570 grafts Dr Feller

HT 2350 grafts Dr Epstein

Finax 1mg per day

nizoral 2% 3/week

MSM 3000 mg / day

TOTAL GRAFTS 4920

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums?a=albumtopic&TOPIC_OID=6751014913&f=2566060861

You're diet and lifestyle may affect hair loss ever so slightly, but I doubt it. Like Irish Homer, I've seen too many overweight, out of shape smokers and drinkers with hair so dense and thick it's unreal. Male-Pattern-Baldness seems to pick and choose mostly based on genetics. Get checked out by a dermatologist to see that it's not something else. Then, do what you can to prevent further loss and take better care of yourself and your hair. Talk with the Doc about Propecia (Finasteride), Minoxidil and your diet. Give those things a try for a year or so to see what you can accomplish.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

rock star hair vs rock star lifestyle icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Ty:

I have taken really crappy care of my body ever since I left high school three years ago and since that time I have had progressive thinning all over my head, especially in the hairline. While still in high school, I never had hairloss, and I rarely smoked and played sports all the time. Following high school I have smoked a pack a day, not really had any consistent exercise, and have drank heavily prob. at least 2 nights a week... absurd, I know. My dad is a Norwood 5-6. He had lost almost all his hair by the time he GOT TO college.

Heres the sixty four thousand dollar question: Realistically, do you guys think that if I stopped smoking, started running, and slowed down the booze my hair loss would slow down? I am not looking for a miracle here, just opinions. I know it owuld help my cardiovascular health, which promotes blood flow, which is good for hair, right? Once again, I don't expect to stop my hairloss completely, just slow it down... I'm only 21 for Christ's sake.

Originally posted by Ty:

If it were only that easy...icon_frown.gif

Your hair loss is predetermined by genetics. You said yourself that your father had severe hair loss at an early age. That's the best indicator that you can get of what you can look forward to.

Of course, quitting smoking will help. Smoking cigarettes constricts blood vessels that nourish the hair. However, smoking is not the cause of your hair loss and so it only exacerbates an already existing condition - it did not cause it.

Bottom line - live a healthy lifestyle AND look into a proven hair loss medication. The absolute best regimen available that won't break the bank is 1 mg Propecia (or Proscar) per day, 1 mL Rogaine applied to the crown twice per day, and Nizoral 2% shampoo applied three times per week for 5 minutes. Follow this regimen religiously for one year and you will most likely see results. How do I know? Because I did and I did. And I had some pretty severe hair loss. Thousands of others have followed this regimen and have seen results. Do it daily and do it for as long as you want to see results.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Hi

It's all genetics but obviously an unhealthy lifestyle doesn't help.People will blame their hairloss on anything to rationalize the reason ( I did too) Robert's advice is solid and will make a big difference in most people..

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!