How long was your ugly duckling period?

What week did your ugly duckling period start? finish?

Did you lose most of the transplanted hairs? All of the transplanted hairs? Or only a few of the transplanted hairs during your ugly duckling period.?

Thanks in advance. icon_smile.gif

4374 grafts-7/2/2008-Dr Rahal

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

What week did your ugly duckling period start? finish?

Did you lose most of the transplanted hairs? All of the transplanted hairs? Or only a few of the transplanted hairs during your ugly duckling period.?

Thanks in advance. icon_smile.gif

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

Guest wanthairs

i lost all the transplanted hair...was ugly as hell for 4 months......

throw away your mirror for 6 months preferably.

The 4th-5th week was huge for me. After ~5 weeks I was looking alright; by the 2nd month I was looking the same as I did pre-op and with concealers I got "flawless" coverage.

After the staples went out and I buzzed my head I looked poor, but w/ the perfect application of concealers I didn't look like I just had a hair-augmentation, or even surgery. More like I had a really shitty buzzcut -- which I in fact did! icon_smile.gif

I had some shockloss, but this was remedied with concealers. Overall, I had an insane recovery....which could be just luck, but I also took great aims to make sure I was in the best possible condition to get a speedy, swift recouperation.

On another forum I've seen some cases where it took 4-5+ months before looking the same as pre-op so there is definitely a spectrum and you should be prepared for both ends.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

4-5 weeks for you is amazing. I dont use concealers because I'm just thinking in terms of my real results. The 4-5 week period has me at my worst so far. icon_smile.gif

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

My only real ugly period I think was caused by the removal of old plugs, which did at least cover some scalp. So, the first six weeks I had noticeable less hair it seemed than I did pre h.t. Especially in the crown where he took out two rows.

I too was a lucky one, and didn't experience any shockloss, swelling, pain, etc. It's been as good as I could ask for so far. The 3 month mark was difficult for me as one day I'd think my hair looks like it's filling in, and then a day or two later it'd look the same as pre-ht.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Originally posted by badger_01:

I'm still in the ugly duckling phase but with concealers i look respectable. I was able to ditch my hat at 4 weeks and i'm truly grateful for that!

I have pics with and without concealer on my blog.

badger,

Your hair looks good with that Toppik. Did you ever try Dermatch? I have and couldn't really ever get it to looking good. I should've / thought about / buying some Toppik.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

I just now starting to see some growth. I had the 1/3 front part of my scalp done with 2500 grafts, including the temples, and im now starting to notice my left temple. My right temple barely has any growth, but the left temple blew up. The hairs came in dark and are already a good half inch long.

So, its really really hard to say how everything will play out up front. You could be like me and notice a lot of growth in certain parts, or it could all come in at once.

Just be patient, and remember, growth typically wont start till 2-3 months, and thats usually peach fuzz =\

I noticed you had quite a bit of shockloss (As did i) but those hairs looked strong and should return.

Best of luck!

Anything worth doing is never easy

• 2 weeks later...

A few questions in relation to this if thats alright:

1. Does the ugly duckling phase mean because of different hair length, swelling etc?

2. If you had recipient area shaved, could you still suffer shock loss?

3. If you do suffer shock loss, how long til this grows back?

4. Surely it would be easiest to have a "buzz" cut ie Grade 1 all over, but then do you risk exposing your scar in the donor area?

I'm into my third week and have no problems in terms of swelling or discolouration, but the hair from the grafts is beginning to shed which means I'm looking a lot worse than pre-HT (I had the recipient area shaved). Oh, and Dr Ron Shapiro did my op.

Thanks

DW

• 6 years later...

I must be some kind of re growth luck charm my inbetween phase lasted a mere 2 months I believe.

"The road to success is always under construction"

:cool: I represent Dr Rahal and the associated clinic as a paid patient advisor.

I am also here to assist fellow Australian/NZ Hair Loss sufferers both on and off the forum.

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

2800 Grafts to frontal 1/3

By Dr Rahal in Ottawa, Canada

Current Hair Loss Arsenal:

Dutas .5mg every day 1.5 years and Proscar 5mg (Cut into 1/4): x1 Daily 10 years

Hair-A-Gain Generic Minox: x2 Daily 13 years

(Applied wet in mornings)

Other Random products put to use during my hair loss battle (not in use):

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Dr Proctor's Nano Shampoo

Various Herbal supplements

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo

Laser Treatments (Epic Fail)

10 long years of HT and general HL research.:cool:

*I am not a medical professional, I only offer my own advice from personal experiences and years of detailed research*

In my twenties it was day 30 to day 80.

Nowadays, my ugly duckling phase is now pushing 21 years.

Doldrums is internal and ugly-duckling is outside.

The doldrums refer the psychological tension as your anticipation and hope tugs at your frustration and fear that you might have been stooged - and net effect is just a dull funk...you feel you are going nowhere.

If ugly duckling is defined as "looking different, and 'worse', than you did before the HT..." than my ugly duckling was 2 weeks in duration. It lasted from the time I shed all the grafts (week 4) to about 2 weeks later when my native hairs started to return and the graft growth started shortly after that. It's just been growing like mad in weeks 8-14 post-op.

My Dr. puts me in the class of an early grower, but I also totally pampered my head and body to try and get that early growth. Meds (Rogaine + Propecia), supplements (biotin/multivitamin/zinc), and extreme care to head and grafts I believe all contributed to an early growth. Of course the skill of the Dr. and his team had a lot to with it as well. I had zero scabbing and the work was so "refined", as they say, that I could not even tell I had 4000 holes cut into my head the day after the procedure. I literally could go without a hat and had little redness at all.

I also agree with Raiden - I was pretty ugly before, so my ugly duckling period was not a dramatic change from pre-op!

I reckon my ugly duckling stage was the 6 bald years before my op cause I'm no Mona Lisa :D but joking aside, I would say mine lasted about 3 weeks after shedding. I was lucky in that I had a skin head (shaved) before so it wasn't so noticeable to those around me and I didn't shed much probably only about 30% but I did get some mild pimples in that time and those were definately ugly!!

It will soon pass matey