yes/no HT?

As you can see by the pictures, I also have hairloss. I`ve been on regaine and something called Ekstrakt from a clinic in Copenhagen for 2 years. My age is 25 years old, it started when I was around 20`s. The hairloss is still there. I recently started taking propecia (a month ago), now im considering a HT. Some of the surgeons I have consulted are confusing me. Some are saying "go ahead, do a HT. And others are saying, wait some years and get a mature/better hairloss pattern.

Question is now: What do you guys recommend? I`ve been reading this forum since december 2007. There are lots of smart people around. Im a student and I was thinking of doing the HT in Pakistan this summer. Do you recommend it? Or shall I wait for the propecia to work? Thing is, I know that propecia wont work in the front area, is it possible to do a HT in the front and not experience shock loss in the crown area or around the middle? Thanks.

Btw, sorry if I posted this the wrong way. Thanks for answering.

9991084773_E17C515CF17E12210EC463605832D6B5.JPG.thumb 9891084773_4803498375AEB46CCD618E58B2BCECD4.jpg.thumb 8991084773_2F4067C1A9D2B4F46FA910F4058A12F7.JPG.thumb 8891084773_204C125F6A2E68D4C58596C9416BB5F4.jpg.thumb 7991084773_4BC47DD4A2D7809DADEAF883C2C79708.jpg.thumb 7891084773_D4FD6388013B76F15B0200014A24BE7C.jpg.thumb 7541094773_3DC88A22122E2F5F6FA67D4B77C61DF6.jpg.thumb 6991084773_A564DD930E754571053358E72158AF93.jpg.thumb 6891084773_6E8DB8A637431C5AB431F19D03BE81F8.JPG.thumb 5991084773_349570168F223518859CB1EE70429D6B.jpg.thumb 4991084773_AC764AEF46B5678375073E1D92D4D0B1.jpg.thumb 3991084773_DF49CA559369C61D59049AAF0B63E326.jpg.thumb 3001094773_23A794E2FECF72A90E1F3A7EC1B9D74F.JPG.thumb 2991084773_56F9E8117325D0FC588066A781B815E0.jpg.thumb 2001094773_D5F8EA357F2858A152BBEC32358CE60B.jpg.thumb 1991084773_5C95B2E11D5F30ED9D9A480425204340.jpg.thumb 1001094773_1CBE2F7CC92A8AA090E400E64D380932.jpg.thumb 929102171_903CF7CAAEE366D2FD338D510330760A.jpg.thumb 888102171_C6434440CBC8EF671E4C199E051FC064.JPG.thumb 519102171_C88042C31197BD9F948782F052260C58.JPG.thumb 448102171_6494CBC69CB339E2E9540AC8D8247B6A.JPG.thumb 268102171_5C714D46AD103FB3D26F7C353CC7DD7A.JPG.thumb 248102171_F555D12632EDA7679EF9654AC5F3C326.jpg.thumb

Noelio,

Since you are a student, I'm going to assume you are under 25 years old. IMO, I would wait a year and see if the Propecia will work. Another idea is to check out the drug Proscar, which has the same active ingredient as Propecia but comes in a 5mg. You then have to break the pill and take 1/3 every M-W-F. But, this will be considerably cheaper. For me, it will be $80 for a three-month supply of Proscar.

Also, take a look at Toppik concealer in the meantime. It'll wash out every day so you can take some pics in a year to see if the Proscar / Rogaine regimen is working.

If it was certain you'd never lose anymore hair, or if you were 40 years old, it looks like you'd be an excellent candidate for about 3,000 grafts, imo. But, you would need to be careful at such a young age as you don't to look goofy when you are 40 b/c you have a disfunctional looking hair pattern.

Also, be careful with surgeons as this business is ripe with those with questionable morals. Some clinics, by default, will tell you to go ahead with a transplant.

Don't sacrifice your long-term looks for some short term improvemetns.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

How old are you? If under 25 i'd wait! Yes you could benefit from a HT, but if you are under 25 some doctors couldnt accuratlly predict your pattern of hair loss. Now I say 25, but thats not set in stone, It just seems about the age when hair loss for most starts to become more apperant and you can see a pattern starting to set in. Hope that helps

Thanks guys.

Im acctually 25 years old. Hairloss started when I was around 20/22. Thank for the tip regarding proscar, I will start to use that instead since its much cheaper. The temples are really bothering me. The thing I dont understand is the following:

I have talked to about 5 surgeons. 4 of them are saying I should wait If I only want 1 HT. The last one said Im ready for a HT. Lets say I only get a HT in the front area. Around 2000 grafts with FUE method. Will that infect the other hair area part? And yes, lets assume that hairloss is getting slower. With Regaine for almost 2 years and vitamins + propecia now is really slowing the hairloss, but Im still seeing hairs falling down. (Not that much like before)

I see that Drs. Feller and Epstein are online; so maybe they can comment on your situation.....

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

AndroGel - once daily

Jogging - 3x per week

just stay on propecia for about 8months and see were you are at. With your pattern, FUE is probably not the wisest choice.

also, you will have major shock unless you have stabalized on propecia.

Sometimes I feel I should have not started with regaine and ekstrakt. After starting with that the hair has dissapeared. I tried stop taking it in january 08, but then I experienced some loss and started again in february 08.

Im lost and thinking about this 24/7. A HT will maybe get my front area back atleast.

I think the first shedding you experienced might have been signs that it has actually started working. From what I understand, that is normal.

Send those pics by email to one of the coalition docs listed above and do a phone consultation with him / her. Tell the rep. you want to speak directly with the doctor; and then you will be getting an expert opinion for free.

There are some experts on here to, so get on here daily and keep doing your homework.

I got a transplant at 25 so I can feel your pain. Mine was similar to yours. To be honest, my continued hair loss made the prior transplant have minor results.

If you get to that point, I would think the strip method would be in your best interest. Have you tried Toppik? It's like $30 or so and will last a few months.

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

AndroGel - once daily

Jogging - 3x per week

Hi Noelio,

I am also a 25 year old student and I had a HT with Dr Rahal last march!

I flew all the way from Portugal to Canada to get my HT with one the worlds top surgeons, insted of going somewere in Europe and having to do a repair job afterwards.

You have to ask yourself a question: If not now then when are you going to have a HT???... When you are 35 married and with children?? Who cares about hair then!!!

If you want great hair NOW is the time to have it, when we are still in our Prime!

Your hairloss looks kinda like mine and it seems they will rebuild the frontal zone like they did to me so count on at least 3000 grafts.

You can check out my results here:http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/showthread.php?t=152718

I had hair in the front but Dr. Rahal said it was not going to last long so he decided to do the whole frontal area, this way if I got shock loss there would be no problem. I have seen very little shock loss because some of my original frontal hairs were strongh enough to come backicon_smile.gif

I also went on Propecia but I have trouble with taking a pill everyday for the rest of my life so I stoped it!

If you are like me and dont want to take supplements and drugs for the rest of life, just get off everything you are taking now and go in for and HT drug free.

If you get drug free you will have some major shedding but that is your sistem getting back to normal and you will lose it anyways in the long run so it might as well just let it shed!

After the HT the Doctor will advise you to go on Rogaine for 12 months to help the hairs grow and when you stop using it the effect will not be unnoticable because you have really strong hairs now.

After 12 months you are drug free and with a great set of hair that will last forever and if we get bald in the back in the next 10 years we can just get another HT done or forget about it cause we will be 35 and married by then!

I would advise to get prices from these doctors:

Dr. Rahal, Dr. Feller, Hasson and Wong and Dr. Ron Shapiro.

Ask for student prices and see who gives you the better deal.

Hope I have helped!

Cheers.

Uhhhh............you too will care when you're 35 w/ kids.

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

AndroGel - once daily

Jogging - 3x per week

Very true Dewayne that is why I am not excluding the chance to undergo a second HT.

But the most important for me is to feel good with myself now, when I am still young and very much in the game.

Self confidence can help not only on a personal level but also on a professional one.

Your 25 and you have alot of hairloss. Go check out a few of the top docs and do something about it. As Tracy Chapman said"...too young to be lookin like that"!

Good luck,

Bruce

Originally posted by Dewayne:

I think the first shedding you experienced might have been signs that it has actually started working. From what I understand, that is normal.

Send those pics by email to one of the coalition docs listed above and do a phone consultation with him / her. Tell the rep. you want to speak directly with the doctor; and then you will be getting an expert opinion for free.

There are some experts on here to, so get on here daily and keep doing your homework.

I got a transplant at 25 so I can feel your pain. Mine was similar to yours. To be honest, my continued hair loss made the prior transplant have minor results.

If you get to that point, I would think the strip method would be in your best interest. Have you tried Toppik? It's like $30 or so and will last a few months.

Yeah Dewayne, I`ve tried toppik, its all fake, but its magic. Thing is, I dont want the wind to blow away my hair icon_frown.gif

Portugal25: Thanks for sharing your pictures/thread. Yeah it seems like the same pattern. Im sort of waiting for a decission. HT in Pakistan will be cheap, around 3k$ for 3000 grafts + ticket. I know that I should choose a surgeon which is good. (They are suppose to be good down there) Im just thinking: Isnt it sad to go bald after the HT? Can you wear a hat instead or will it destroy the new implemented grafts?

noelio

many of the posters above are exactly right , stick with the meds , propecia or proscar for atleast 6 months to a year to give any ht a really good foundation to give a good overall cosmetic result , your hairloss needs time to stablized on the meds before even entertaining thoughts of a ht .

Research as much as you can , on as many forums as you can , remember

RESEARCH= TOP DOC = TOP RESULTS

It really is as simple as that my friend , i have posted some pics of my results of just taking meds , throughtout my two years of researching hairloss , I' have seen many good results from diffuse thinners like yourself and I , take a look the link is below , scole down it for the med pics

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/showthread.php?t=148052

good luck

richie

2100 crown grafts

Dr Feller

nov 2007

Noelio,

I only went bald after my HT cause they rebuild my entire frontal area and sure it looks uncool now but in another 2 months it will start to grow and it will all have been worth it. I think that for you they might not shave the whole frontal area cause your hair looks strongh in the front.

I was wearing a hat for the first 3 weeks but then I just starting accepting my bald look and stop wearing it.

Just get yourself a proper HT Doctor, imagine if you go bald for 3 months cause of the HT and afterwards you end up with poor results! That would kill me!!

I know I am getting amazing results cause I went with Dr. Rahal I would definatly advise you to choose someone from my list. If you dont there is a chance you will have to choose them anyway to get a repair job (you never know).

Cheers

I agree one should be concerned at any age but can you imagine if there was this kind of quality HT when you were 25...

If you had a high quality 3500graft HT at the age of 25 changing your entire frontal area maybe you would not be worrying about hair any more when you reached 35 or more cause you have lived a worry free life.

Think about it...

If one is in need of 3000+ grafts at the age of 25 just do it and start living the good life!

Noelio...

I agree with Dewayne on many points.

You will care when you're 35...Im 40 and hanging around girls that are 25-35.

Also...I would wait a bit.

Get on a regular routine of meds and see how and if they stabilize your situation.

As Dewayne mentioned....don't sacrifice long-term looks for the short term.

I for one know that my doc (Dr.Epstein) doesn't love the idea of doing jobs on guys less than 25 years old.

Don't panic or rush into this.

These great Docs aren't going anywhere...and will only improve with time.

Research !

MH

Originally posted by MORE_HAIR:

Noelio...

I agree with Dewayne on many points.

You will care when you're 35...Im 40 and hanging around girls that are 25-35.

Also...I would wait a bit.

Get on a regular routine of meds and see how and if they stabilize your situation.

As Dewayne mentioned....don't sacrifice long-term looks for the short term.

I for one know that my doc (Dr.Epstein) doesn't love the idea of doing jobs on guys less than 25 years old.

Don't panic or rush into this.

These great Docs aren't going anywhere...and will only improve with time.

Research !

MH

Thanks for your answer. I will wait for a year atleast just to see the minoxidil and propecia effects.

Give Finasteride (Propecia or Proscar) the time to work so it can stabilize your hair loss, at least 6 months, one year is better, I also use a great shampoo by the name of Revita, I think it helps a little bit. In the meantime you'll have the chance to learn much more about all this by staying in touch with the Forum and the members. I am not sure if we have any recommended Dr.'s in Pakistan but I would only consider our recommended Dr.'s from the list.

• 9 months later...

Hello guys, I`ve added 6 months and 10 months pictures after using propecia. I cannot say that my hairloss have stopped or anything like that. It has maybe slowed down a bit. Im still loosing hair.

I`ve consultet some top docs since last time. Some are saying they can do a HT on me and some are saying I should wait more until my hairloss pattern gets mature. I have talked to Dr Humayun (he`s recommended from the list). He is suggesting FUT (strip harvest technique) with tricophytic closure. Everything from 2000-3000 grafts. It depends on my donor area. Do you guys think I should go for a HT this summer or wait more? Im aware of that the hairloss will continue, but to add hair where the current area is bald will be good I think? So im thinking of getting a HT in the front and the sides.

Hi Noel.

First, are you danish? (since you had bought some topical treatment in copenhagen)

No one can tell you what to do, but if it really bothers you that much, maybe it is not such a bad idea.

Truth be told, your hairloss patterns look similar to mine, although yours is probably a bit worse than i started out - i am 22 years old and have had 2 procedures of 4350 grafts.

You(we) are a diffuse thinner, which means that grafts can be placed within the thinning hair to create density, but losing more hair will not make it look unnatural. This is a good thing.

Without being an expert, i would say atleast 3k maybe even 4k grafts to create a satisfying result.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11/04-07 - 800-1600 ish grafts - danish clinic - poor results

12/02-08 - 2764 grafts - Dr. Devroye - good result but needs hairline density

03/12-10 - 1429 grafts - Dr. Mohmand - result pending

Feel free to visit my picture thread

My Hair Transplant Photos - Surgery with Dr. Devroye

Young lads below 25 unite!

Originally posted by MikeTheDane:

Hi Noel.

First, are you danish? (since you had bought some topical treatment in copenhagen)

No one can tell you what to do, but if it really bothers you that much, maybe it is not such a bad idea.

Truth be told, your hairloss patterns look similar to mine, although yours is probably a bit worse than i started out - i am 22 years old and have had 2 procedures of 4350 grafts.

You(we) are a diffuse thinner, which means that grafts can be placed within the thinning hair to create density, but losing more hair will not make it look unnatural. This is a good thing.

Without being an expert, i would say atleast 3k maybe even 4k grafts to create a satisfying result.

Hey.

Im acctually norwegian. The clinic I used before is called Haarklinikken. My hairloss pattern sucks. Its hard to tell if the native hair will stay or go away for ever after a HT and shockloss. Im confused, but Im still considering a HT this summer. The other thing about grafts, I dont want to jump into conclusions saying I need 4k or 5k grafts you know. I just want to take it easy and be on the safe side.