Just a thought

Mike1987

Do any of you guys think that if it wasnt for people like us there would be a far less negative perception of balding/bald men.

I mean surely the reason for the stigma surrounding hair loss is because the people who suffer it get so embarrassed and desperate to cover it up that it becomes even more embarrassing.

I was talking to my girlfriend about this and was telling her about propecia and hair transplants and she was pretty surprised at some of the things guys would do to keep their hair.

I'm not on the wind up or anything just wanted to know your opinions.

PS: I acknowledge that I am no different from you guys as I too am worried about hair loss. Was just wanting your views.

Do any of you guys think that if it wasnt for people like us there would be a far less negative perception of balding/bald men.

I mean surely the reason for the stigma surrounding hair loss is because the people who suffer it get so embarrassed and desperate to cover it up that it becomes even more embarrassing.

I was talking to my girlfriend about this and was telling her about propecia and hair transplants and she was pretty surprised at some of the things guys would do to keep their hair.

I'm not on the wind up or anything just wanted to know your opinions.

PS: I acknowledge that I am no different from you guys as I too am worried about hair loss. Was just wanting your views.

Its the society not "ppl like us" If someone is comfortable with their hair loss, more power to them but if there are options and you dont like the way your head looks then it would be stupid not to pursue them.

Interesting post, I think studies of bald vs. non bald men are pretty conclusive. People perceive them differently. Sorry, but people will generally judge you by the way you look and losing you hair is normally associated with getting older etc...

If you are OK with it more power to you, but most men who had hair at one time have a difficult time losing it (speaking for myself). I take very good care of myself and losing my hair was very difficult for me (something I could not control). But I will say I had surgery for myself not someone else.

Just my opinion.

Mike1987,

You pose an interesting question. Obviously, there's no correct answer but likely to be several opinions..........I'll share mine.

I remember in my younger, "chia-pet" head of hair days, noticing balding men. The ones that seemed to jump out were either those "attempting" a combover, those who were totally bald, those with bad hairpieces (let's face it, they're all bad) and those bald every where but a little patch on the front. To me, it looked anything but appealing. At this time of my life, I had no idea I would lose my hair. I had very, very thick hair. I say this because at this time, for me, there were no presuppositions about balding men or hair loss, yet I thought it didn't look good.

When I first started experiencing hair loss, at around 23 or so, I hated it. I was pretty sensitive about it and definitely didn't care to discuss it with anyone other than those close to me. As I've aged, and matured (turning 40 this year), I've learned to laugh about it and joke about it with others on occaision- but internally I still hate how it looks just as bad as when I was younger. (Thanks to HT #2, with a few more months of growth I'll no longer be balding. icon_smile.gif)

My wife has always thought I was nice looking even as I started to experience more loss. She literally couldn't care less. Of course, she's not losing her hair, either. If she were, obviously it would be a major concern. I have a brother 2 years my senior who's always had a full head of hair. For the last few years, he's noticed it thinning a little........not even enough to notice, but it made him start using Nixoin shampoo and consider alternatives to prevent any loss. Personally experiencing something you never thought twice about tends to bring it in prospective, eh?

I've thought of it in this fashion (right or wrong)...........if I were vying for a job with a particular company and was in competition with another individual who was like me in every way, except I was bald and he had great looking hair, who would get the job?? In my world, the guy with the great looking hair! icon_cool.gif

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Originally posted by the B spot:

We have never had a president who was bald......

Or at least the bald ones wore those sweet powdered wigs...and until those come back in fashion, an HT will have to do. lol

1,614 with Dr. Pistone on 2/3/06 in Marlton, NJ.

As long as the moon shall rise

As long as the rivers flow

As long as the sun shall shine

And the grass will grow

Let me listen, I will learn to speak

The old language

Yes, I yearn to bathe in blue skies

And fall apart from the world of machines

Regain my feet and my pounding heart

My Hair Loss Weblog

We have never had a president who was bald

the lack of baldness in your current president is the least worrying thing about him icon_biggrin.gif

HT2 2570 grafts Dr Feller

HT 2350 grafts Dr Epstein

Finax 1mg per day

nizoral 2% 3/week

MSM 3000 mg / day

TOTAL GRAFTS 4920

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums?a=albumtopic&TOPIC_OID=6751014913&f=2566060861

Originally posted by irish homer:

We have never had a president who was bald

the lack of baldness in your current president is the least worrying thing about him icon_biggrin.gif

Let's not go there.

Thanks.

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

Never had a bald president? Does Eisenhower ring a bell?

Anyway, Hairbank (and the discussion of Presdents) brings up an intersting point. I don't know how many people here are politicians, but it is generally well known, that people who listened to the Nixon/Kennedy debate on the radio decidely chose Nixon. But we all know he didn't stand a chance when standing next to the youthful, healthy, full-haired Kennedy.

Most of our insecurites come from mainstream media and what not, I beleive. Being bald a 100 years ago was probablly not an issue whatsoever, hell the average life expectancy was 47. But these days, with the magazines, clubs, single life etc. etc. outward appearance is incredibly important in how one is percieved i.e., how one personally feels.

I live in Miami. As a single guy, try heading down to a South Beach "hot spot" with a comb-over and see how you fare. But, for those of us who could care less where the cool party is, balding is probablly nothing more than a fleeting thought that doesn't occupy much of ones time. Much much more to be said, but that's it for now. Great post Mike 1987!

P.S. Yes, our President is a blithering idiot

Thanks for the replies guys.

I am 19 and I think I'll be pretty dam bald by the time im twenty five. My girlfriend says me losing my hair is not a bad thing, however me worrying about it so much is.

I personally believe the only reason we have this perception of bald people is because of the way bald people act ashamed of their appearances. If you can be comfortable with your looks other peple will be comfortable with your looks too.

I'm still gonna give propecia a bash icon_redface.gifP

Keep the opinions coming guys.

Originally posted by future doc:

Never had a bald president? Does Eisenhower ring a bell?

people who listened to the Nixon/Kennedy debate on the radio decidely chose Nixon. But we all know he didn't stand a chance when standing next to the youthful, healthy, full-haired Kennedy.

Of course, we all know who really won that ELECTION. ***COUGH:::Chicago voting fraud:::COUGH***

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

Hi

Good Discussion. Unfortunately, we live in a society where looks do matter. Whether it's a job interview or a single guy looking for a date, people do treat you differently.. Not looking your best can hurt your chances in these areas. You don't hear many people wishing they were overweight or bald. I do not always agree with this but feel this is reality. The most important factor is how one feels about himself inside. It just so happens much of what happens on the outside affects the inside..

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

A very thought provoking thread!

As far as the presidents, in my lifetime Johnson and Ford were balding and interestingly both ascended to the office by default and served only the balance of one term.

Regarding the perceptions of hairloss, for me I can't think of anything more devastating and self defeating to happen to a young man during the big hair and looks obsessed era of the 80's. It began while I was still in high school and really put a damper on what were otherwise some of the best years of my life. It is something I will always be bitter and angry about.

Despite my efforts to address and overcome the problem, it remains very much a burden for me today. I am blessed to have a wife and family who loves me "for me" and thank God I no longer have to go through the dating game! Yet I fear it is holding me back professionally. Although I am in a field where one is not expected to look "perfect", I fear the appearance of my hair is costing me better opportunities and options. This is especially a concern as I am at the stage in life where I find myself competing against those 10 to 15 years younger.

The old adages that "it's what inside that counts" and "what's in your head is more important than what's on it" are absolutely valid. Unfortunately the reality is that there are and always will be those whom if they don't like what the see on the outside they're not going to give what's inside a chance. Nowhere is this more true that the workforce and dating. Also there is a profound but simple truth to the old Fernando character on Saturday Night Live's catchprase about "being better to look good than to feel good". Certainly how we percieve ourselves physically impacts us emotionally and looking one's best can give a tremendous self esteem boost even when we are not feeling the greatest.

With that said I will repeat that is it very inspiring and encouraging to see men of all ages secure enough to shave their heads. Although these guys probably were initially troubled by their balding, it is a breakthrough. I wish that approach had been accepted when I was younger.

Phil