flying the day after a procedure?

Hi all,

Any special considerations for traveling by air the day after a procedure? (going through security, on the plane, etc) After driving 7 hours each way for my consultation, I think I'd rather fly down for the actual procedure, go in for a post-op visit the next day, then immediately fly home.

Hi all,

Any special considerations for traveling by air the day after a procedure? (going through security, on the plane, etc) After driving 7 hours each way for my consultation, I think I'd rather fly down for the actual procedure, go in for a post-op visit the next day, then immediately fly home.

I felt really good the next day. In fact, like the cajuns say "more better than good". I was a little shy about seeing people but the drugs were working on me bigtime.

I drove 200 miles, though. I just figure that flying should be easier than actually driving. I did start feeling sorta bad the night after. Not really pain, but I remember thinking I was going to post my experience, but all I felt like doing was laying in bed relaxing.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Good choice to fly that far. Stay the night and go back to clinic to get your bandage off and clean/follow up. Then you can put on a loose baseball cap (new or clean one)--sunglasses if rare case your eyes are slightly swollen, then buy one of those neck pillows at the airport. Take your meds, and have a nice nap during flight back!

Enjoy and good luck.

SMOOTHY

Dr. Shapiro

Propecia/Rogain xtra

MSM/Saw Pallmetto/Zinc

Nioxin Shampoo line

Zrii 3oz daily

If it were me, I would not want to drive that distance a day after the op. I had to fly as the clinic I went to was too far to drive. I saw my doc the next day and he removed the rediculous "Shriners looking" hat, cleaned things up and wrapped a bandage around my head to protect the donor area and i placed a clean ballcap over that. The ballcap didn't hide the bandage much, but it looked decent and anyone looking probably thought I banged my head or had some sort of accident.

Good luck with your HT.

It's a smart move to go home the next day.

If you're going to have swelling it's going to happen at about three days.

You'll be a little tired but also real happy it's over and on to the growing phase.

I took a painkiller before boarding the plane with a light meal and was feeling just fine.

MH

I flew 2 days after my surgery. The total flight duration for me was 8 hours (including a stop-over). I did not have any problems.

In fact, the day after my surgery, I did some sight-seeing, and drove around quite a bit. Did not face any inconvenience or problems or discomfort. I just stayed away from the sun.

fusion,

In my opinion, the most important special consideration for flying the next day is:

DON'T BUMP YOUR HEAD

I imagine first class is better, but it's very easy to bump your head standing up on a plane even when you think you are being careful. So be extra careful even if you have to put your hand up over your head when you get up to gauge the room.

Also try your best to be patient in the event there is a flight delay - been through that, and after several hours already on planes and in various airports (had overlay flights), I was anxious to get home. icon_smile.gif

Best wishes,

Bill

We have a fair amount of guys who fly in to DC for hair procedures and we generally advise the following.

If at all possible, spend the first night(of the procedure--we have several hotels nearby and 1 in walking distance)--and come in the next day for a check prior to leaving. I don't think we have ever HAD to do anything, but it reassures the patient, particularly if they are going a distance and we might not ever see them again in person. It also gives patients a chance to ask any questions they came up with that first night, usually involving "when can I shower?".

Next, if folks can stay an extra day we will check them both days and they can sight see around DC. That also allows folks to walk and move around which may decrease the chances of deep venous thrombosis(blood clots in the leg veins) which can occur with sitting in the same position for long periods of time, like on an airplane flight of 17 hours.

There have been threads discussing DVT(blood clots) on this site before and we make folks get up and walk around the office every hour or so; so the risk during our procedure is far less than the flight home--which is pretty safe as well.

Lastly, we do have people who come and spend the week in Washington and have their sutures removed prior to departing.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians