Reasonable expectations of proscar and propecia???

I have noticed some minor hairline recession a few years back i am only 23 and truthfully not balding.. i have been educating myself by way of this great web site and doctor consultations... most of the ethical surgeons suggests i wait it out and not bring down my hairline.. at first this discouraged me and now im just continuing the educational process..... i for the last 9 or so months have been using propecia and recently switched to proscar... my question for surgeons and veteran members is exactly how effective are these drugs and what can i reasonably expect from them... is there a bonus to starting before any baldness occurs?? for example i almost know that i will have hair loss in the future.. can i hope or assume that these drugs with a head start will elliminate future loss before it happens or maybe shave about 50% of my hair that lets say would have fallen out in my mid thirties?????? I will continue to take the drugs regardless because i know due to genetics that if i dont hairloss is in my future.. what im asking is if hairloss is in my future is most of it inevitable?????

sorry for the long post but im determined to fully educate myself, hopefully with your support... any replies would be well appreciated.. Ibrahim

I have noticed some minor hairline recession a few years back i am only 23 and truthfully not balding.. i have been educating myself by way of this great web site and doctor consultations... most of the ethical surgeons suggests i wait it out and not bring down my hairline.. at first this discouraged me and now im just continuing the educational process..... i for the last 9 or so months have been using propecia and recently switched to proscar... my question for surgeons and veteran members is exactly how effective are these drugs and what can i reasonably expect from them... is there a bonus to starting before any baldness occurs?? for example i almost know that i will have hair loss in the future.. can i hope or assume that these drugs with a head start will elliminate future loss before it happens or maybe shave about 50% of my hair that lets say would have fallen out in my mid thirties?????? I will continue to take the drugs regardless because i know due to genetics that if i dont hairloss is in my future.. what im asking is if hairloss is in my future is most of it inevitable?????

sorry for the long post but im determined to fully educate myself, hopefully with your support... any replies would be well appreciated.. Ibrahim

Ibraham,

Hanging onto your hair is job #1, I suggest Propecia. For me..Rogaine did nothing but take my $$$$,remember a HT is impossible if you have no hair ?, so hang onto it while you can. Propecia can take up to a year to really work.

Re: HT, you may be very surprised how much of an improvement you can see when you put new hair grafts on the top scalp...this new hair grows much better and healthier, and will cover your temple area quite well when grown out...so "if" you ever do get a HT...you dont need to go to a real low hairline to get great results. Be careful, at 23 you could mess up your future with a teenage hairline and no hair (later) to fill in the top...it can get ugly.

I am not saying get a HT..I would say wait 5 years, But I also know guys do what they want...your reading up 1st, great step.

Good Luck !!

NW

I agree with NW that keeping what you have is where it's at. Rogaine sucks. That stuff is weak! Propecia on the other hand is strong, maybe even too strong, so that's why I take only a 1/2 or 1/3 a day. It helps my dick stay harder, and I feel like I'm saving $$$ and getting the same results when it comes to hair loss. Your gonna continue to grow and loose hair, I just think the Propecia helps with the ratio (growth to loss)that we as men who want to keep their hair need. I believe if I would have started taking Propecia at an earlier age I would not have ever had to have a HT. I hope that helps.

other than the extra money costs would one say using both propecia and rogaine together can have extra benefits before any noticable hairloss happens???? thanx for the replys guys.... ibrahim

Costco sells a four pack of generic 5% minoxodil for $20. it's been that price for several years now. for $5 a month, i think it's worth using it in combination with proscar/propecia. if there isn't a costco near you, go to www.costco.com. It's under their name brand, "Kirkland 5% Minoxodil."

Results of my 1424 FU transplant procedure on 8/16/02 can be viewed at...

http://community.webshots.com/user/ttaco

• 2 weeks later...

Rogaine added to Propecia is definitely helpful. I have seen some dramatic cases in my office of a great response when the response to these drugs individually was weak. In my experience Rogaine, while still worthwhile, is only somewhat helpful by itself. When used along with Propecia, it can be quite remarkable.

Rogaine is so inexpensive now that I recommend it to everyone. If the brief oily appearance to the hair in the morning is a problem, I tell patients to use it once daily in the evening. It's half life in the skin is 22 hours so it should still be helpful. Generics can be good or bad so I recommend the Rogaine brand just to be certain that the drug is good (just my opinion).

Dr. Parsley is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

i have been using propecia for 10 months now.... its not that expensive and i havent seen any results.. remember i only have hairline issues... my only problem is i know im not thinning or losing hair now so the propecia isnt to stop or slow down current hairloss im trying to get a jump on the almost certain future hairloss.... what interest me is any possible benefits in using these drugs together before any noticable hairloss is adventagious?? sorry for the late reply Rahl i know your in the same boat you might wanna ask and hopefully find answers to the same questions ive posed... thanx Ibrahim.... P.s thanx for the reply Dr. Parsely...

I wish I had started taking Propecia at age 23! Five years later, my hairline has slowly but surely recessed more, so now I have to get more FUs to "make it right".

My initial hair loss was so rapid and obvious, that probably Propecia wouldn't have helped by the time I could have taken action. It is all "what ifs" now.

I intend on staying on Propecia/finasteride forever until something better that is at least as safe comes out.

Best of luck with your decision.

how old are you ? and when did you start using propecia?? How far along was your hairloss... thinning , balding or recession?? and how did the propeia preform did it stop any noticable hairloss ( i know the drug takes time to work) and do you feel starting before your initial quick fallout would have changed your "what if"???

any reply would be appreciated.... Ibrahim....