Horror Stories

FYI, this is an old thread I posted that was pulled up by Scarred 4 life I assume.

Hey guys & gals! I am currently researching HTP

surgery. After looking at the results & reviews on this site I was almost ready to go.

Then I came across a horror story site.

These guy's wish they had never had anything done & would give anything just to have a beautiful bald head with no donor scar or pitting. I know techniques have gotten much better over the last few years & the reputable Doc's are posted on this site, but with strip grafting you are always going to have that smily face scar on the back of your head!

For the most part this site is very upbeat about Hair transplants. Can we hear from someone who wishes they didn't do it even though they used a coalition Doc.

Any Regrets guys?? Come on now post up!

Follica,

Strip procedures do leave a thin scar, correct. They are virtually undetectable if you grow your hair 1/2 inch or so.

If anyone wants to get a hair transplant thinking they can shave their head for the "Vin Diesel" look, with stubble on top, forget it, the scar will show. Those who think they may shave in the future should save their money and just go bald.

Most of us here like to have hair and would keep it long enough to easily conceal the thin scar.

NoBuzz

As Nobuzz put it almost all of us don't care about the scar. It's a small price to pay to have hair on top. If you are into the shaved look then yes, your scar will show but then why get a HT if you want to shave???

You run a very low risk of complications by going to a recommended or a coalition DR.

I will readily admit that I wish that I never had a HT. Mine was 16 yrs ago and technology was not the greatest but still it looks OK. I now have to have another HT.

If I didn't have a HT would I still consider even with todays advancements? Probably not because I am not overly concerned about hairloss like I was at 22. I have a fairly decent shaped head that would look good shaved and infact I kind of like the look and the ease of maintenance. Imagine never having to worry about wind or rain--bliss in my opinion.

Can I think of several things I would rather do with $12,000-25,000? Hell ya. But because of a rash decision 16 yrs ago here I am. icon_frown.gif

But hell, thats my story. If you want hair and don't care about the money research this site and go for it. You'll get hair, look good and if its what you want, you'll be happy.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Yeah, this is an upbeat site all right!!!!!!

Most of us here try our best to steer men and women of all ages to Dr's with proven consistant superior results, so the angry or unhappy patients usually come from Docs we have never heard of.

Just make sure you really do research and understand that a HT today can mean a HT or 2 5, 10, 15 years later.

(Thanks for the post NN!)

Take Care!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

follica,

You are right...this site is upbeat for the most part. The reason for this is most of us are willing to pay all the "costs" associated with the "benefits". The costs include not only the price, but the risks associated with it, including a scar. If you have strip surgery, you will never be able to get away from the scar, though with today's techniques with today's top doctors, it will most likely be thin and virtually undetectable even at short hair length, BUT, there is always the risk of scar stretching. What it comes dow to is this: You are willing to take the risks or you are not. If you think you look good with the "Vin Diesel" look, I recommend that you do this and stay away from an HT. For me, the bald look was something that I did not want because I don't have the head for it...so I chose to take the risks and get an HT. Do I have a long scar? Yes I do. Is it noticeable with my hair clipped short? Yes it is. But as other's have pointed out...I rather have a scar and hair on top, then a bald head with no scar. It's a choice you will have to make for yourself.

Bill

I tell you what I wish I never got my 2nd HT strip scar done 2 years ago. I to was willing to spend a lot of money to fight my hair loss but there is no guarantee. I wish I could shave my head know than watch it get thinner and thinner even though I use Rogain foam and Propecia. I didn't go to a coalition Doc but every Doc I have gone to said my 2 strip scars are pretty good. But it's not good enough if I want to shave my head!! So Folica do yourself a favor and try Propecia and Rogain if that doesn't work than shave your head if you don't what a scar on the back of your head.

I think it's fascinating to get the two perspectives in this thread. How quickly we forget that some people may have an extremely opposed point of view and with just as much merit ... I speak for myself, but sometimes I tend to forget that some people really mind having a scar, for me there's no hesitation, no hair or hair and a scar that no one can see .... I go for the scar and the hair.

I really appreciate all of you guys being up front & giving me your perspective!

I am not the shaven type so that won't work for me. I am 49 so alot of hair loss has already occured. I am at least a 5A. The hair I have is healthy & grows well, I just have no hairline, & my crown is gone. I wear a hat constantly.

I keep my hair longer so you wouldn't see the scar. At my age I suppose I don't have a lot to loose by getting a HTP besides more hair.

Sure if I were to get results like the pic's I see On Hasson's web site I would do it in a heartbeat! I just have a hard time believing some of those photo's. From a Norwood 6 to a full, lush head of hair. I can't help to feel like it is a trap.

Well thanks again guy's, maybe someday soon I will be posting pics of my HTP, maybe not.

The pictures you see on Hasson & Wong's website are real, so are the pics from the other clinics approved by this forum and it's affiliated sites.

Check members Hair Loss Weblogs to find cases similar to yours, the doctors who did their HT and their results:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/

they are the real thing.

Folica,

I can appreciate your caution as I was in your shoes once too. I can tell you though as a patient and employee that our results are most definitely real. In fact, when the chance comes up for someone to meet one of our gallery patients the worst I've ever heard is that they look just like the pictures. Usually the comment is that the patient looks better in real life than the photos. We don't use tricks in our photos like flash photography to make the result look thick.

I've written extensively about some of the tricks of the trade. You can read one of my entries here.

Hair Transplant Photos

Keep in mind however that a "full head of hair" is not something that can be achieved if one has advanced hair loss but the illusion of a full"er" head of hair can be achieved for patients with the right characteristics. True full heads of hair mean that original density has been restored which is impossible in your case (and mine). With that in mind, keep reading, keep researching, and don't pull the trigger till you feel all your questions are answered to your satisfaction.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Originally posted by folica:

I really appreciate all of you guys being up front & giving me your perspective!

I am not the shaven type so that won't work for me. I am 49 so alot of hair loss has already occured. I am at least a 5A. The hair I have is healthy & grows well, I just have no hairline, & my crown is gone. I wear a hat constantly.

I keep my hair longer so you wouldn't see the scar. At my age I suppose I don't have a lot to loose by getting a HTP besides more hair.

Sure if I were to get results like the pic's I see On Hasson's web site I would do it in a heartbeat! I just have a hard time believing some of those photo's. From a Norwood 6 to a full, lush head of hair. I can't help to feel like it is a trap.

Well thanks again guy's, maybe someday soon I will be posting pics of my HTP, maybe not.

Follica, is your hair loss pattern similar to mine pre-op? I understand your concerns. It wasn't until I flew up to H&W and saw Doug, Joe and a guy Named Dwayne the day before my surgery that I finally accepted it was all "real." It does seem, often, "too good to be true." Even nowadays I sometimes look at my hair in the mirror and wonder how the heck I got a full head of hair.

One thing you can do is tell us find HT recipients from Coalition docs in your area and have a look-see. If you live in NY or visit here, I'd be happy to meet up.

My blog.

HT1: 4063 grafts by Dr. Hasson, 12/9/03

HT2: 3537 grafts by Dr. Hasson, 5/15/06

Total grafts: 7,600

Very good thread, indeed!

My prospective has changed since I first looked into HT's but the industry has changed so much with respect to what it provides in the past 5 years. 5 years ago, someone recieving over 7000 grafts in a session was unthinkable. Now, though far from common, it can be achieved. What used to take place in as many as 3-5 sessions can now be achieved in 1 or 2.....big difference.

To me, the scar is a non-issue. I never wanted to shave my head and don't personally care for the look...........definitely not for me. The shortest I cut my hair in the back/on sides is 1/2" and you can't see it.........maybe a slight "cowlick" area if i go shorter but with trichophytic closure it's hair, not necessarily a scar that is seen. Plus, one thing HT's made me realize is how short I had gotten used to wearing my hair over the years..........you know, clipping the sides and back ultra short to make it look like we have more on top? icon_wink.gif C'mon, who hasn't done that? I find I LIKE wearing my hair longer now that I have something to style so it doesn't matter.

The shocker to me through the process was cost...............if you'd have told me 3 years ago that I would invest $15,100 in my hair over a 2 year period I would have said no way. I'm very happy with the results and would do it again............just wish it wasn't so costly.....oh,well, the results will last for life so not too bad.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Did I say how great this forum is!! You guy's are great! Bushy, My loss is bit bit more extensive in the front then yours I only have a few vellus hair. I know there are coaltion doc's closer to you in NY but you still made the trip to Hasson & Wong. I have Dr. Keene & Alexander here in Az.

Well I must say although most of the coaltion doc's seem to be ethical & proficient with thier HTP surgery, It seems Hasson & Wong can't do no wrong & are the cream of the crop.

I guess if I am spending all that money I shouldn't let the inconvenience of flying to get the best! I hate to fly!

Thanks again, Folica

• 2 months later...

If you have ever met and talked to Hasson you'll know that he makes Used Car salesmen look like mother teresa! I ran out of his office as fast as I could. I went to him for a consult after having had HT at another clinic. I wanted to see if he can fix my scar on the donor site. He wanted to do more HT. I am shocked that these guys have the nerve to call themselves Doctors. Quacks is a more appropriate term and maybe even Frauds. I hope someday these Charlatans are all put out of business who prey on poor suckers like us insecurities. Those of you who read this and are thinking about getting HT, DON't. Save yourself from the disfigurement that I and many like me have gone through which we have to live with for the rest of our lives. I have posted a photo of the scar.

Photo_1.jpg.36992e1f887695756edb814cba31b417.jpg

Scarred,

Sorry to hear about your first experience which was a terrible one. At the same time, Dr. Hasson has EARNED his reputation as being one of the best in the industry. I highly doubt he told you anything he could not deliver. Have you taken the time to see his results? There are countless Dr. Hasson patients here..........just use the "find" feature and take a look.

Again, I'm truly sorry for your experience and, yes, there are some horrible HT docs out there with bad ethics, however, Dr. Hasson just plainly is not one of them which he has proved time and time again.

Some people wish they hadn't had an HT to begin with, others think it's one of the best thing that ever happened to them.................I'm in the latter category so maybe I'm biased. Truthfully, I think you've overreacted a little based on your first negative experience. Your scar may not be the best but if you'd let your hair grow out it will likely cover okay. Did your HT hair grow? How did it turn out?

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Wow! Scarred really decided to rear his head ( so to speak) just as I had gotten up the confidence to get a HT!

Actually, I was thinking who would buzz thier hair that short if they had a scar to cover.

I see you dug up my first post

Scarred for life. If you are genuine about giving me advice, please fill me in on the details of went went wrong besides the scar?

Did your hair grow? Who was your doctor?

How long ago was it?

I am not a Bald are us kind of guy... Thats what I am trying to get away from! I won't shave my head ever, that I know.

Scarred,

I replied to you on another thread. I've copied it below...however, I must say, I'm starting to get the suspicion at this point, that you are here to cause trouble. Either that, or you have been so badly burned that you have trouble trusting another physician. But all 3 of your posts have been an attempt to "scare" people away from getting surgery done. Whereas I believe strongly in cautioning people of the risks, I believe trying to scare people is just as bad as marketing companies that hype expectations that are impossible to meet.

If you've really met wtih Dr. Hasson, you would not be saying these things. If you are really legit, do research on Dr. Hasson and take a look at the scars that Dr. Hasson has created. Every scar I've seen him create is much smaller than yours...including mine (link below).

FYI: What Dr. Hasson said is correct: the only way to repair a scar is to harvest another strip from the sides and back of your head and then close it up again. Since he had to harvest another strip anyway, he could have used the follicles he harvested to add hair to your recipient area. This is how scar repair works.

My original reply below

----

Scarred4life,

I agree that your scar is wide.

We can all certainly appreciate and sympathize with you that you had a bad experience, however, certainly there are many variables that may have accounted for that.

However, one bad experience with hair transplantation in general, when there are so many variables should hardly be enough to "scare" someone away from it when there have been so many successes. But I agree with you...education is key.

If you'd like to share your experience with us, I encourage you to start a new thread and share the following:

1. When did you get a hair transplant? Day/Month/Year?

2. Who was your doctor?

3. How many grafts did you receive?

The first 2 questions may be key in determining why you have such a large scar. Though many physicians have upgraded their techniques and technology, utilizing the latest tools and methods, there are still many physicians who have not.

Bill

Scarred4Life,

That is not a good scar by any measure. I've had 3 HT's, the first 2 were real small (100 each), and the second left me with what I thought was a very unacceptable scar. Fortunately the sessions were so small that the scar was only on one side of my head. I had my 3rd surger with Dr. Hasson, and while I'm happy with the results, I'm very happy with how he adjusted the scar. It's there, but it's only detectable by me. I get buzzed with a 2.5/3 on the back of my head. I can't blame you for not wanting another HT based on your previous experience, but you can certainly get that scar repaired. Dr. H is probably thinking that if I'm going to cut you anyway for a repair, I might as well take out a strip and give the guy a better HT.

Just my opinion, and I wish you the best.

Manko

The scar is wide, but I have seen much worse, IMHO.

In addition, unless your scar is the result of 4-5 sessions, there are several docs who could offer a scar revision and most likely reduce the width of the scar.

(I do not know all of your details, so this is conjecture)

Of course, I would NEVER presume to tell another man who feels the way you do, that you are wrong....... if you feel the way you do, then that is your right.

However, instead of attempting to tear down what we have worked so hard to establish here, why not join us?

We do not want to see men young or old make terrible decisions as well.

Instead of fighting us, perhaps you could help those who will not be deterred from getting a hair transplant find our site so we can help them choose a great, ethical doc that will treat them with honesty and compassion.

Your wrong about this site and the posters here.

I appreciate your perspective, but your negativity and comments offer little help when you attack a respected doc with hundreds of satisfied members right here.

I hope you find peace bro'

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.