Potential Recommendation of Mohammad H. Mohmand, MD of Islamabad, Pakistan

• Administrators

I recently met with Dr. Mohmand during the ISHRS annual meeting in San Diego this past October. I was curious to meet with him and discuss his techniques since my preliminary research showed him to be one of the most advanced and committed hair transplant surgeons in his region.

He has a very impressive background as a plastic and reconstructive surgeon, certified by the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh. During the past few years he has concentrated on hair restoration surgery.

He told me he does an average of 35 hair transplant surgeries per month and each procedure is about 2,300 to 2,700 grafts per session with a minimum of 1,200 follicular unit grafts and a maximum of 5,000 follicular units per session. He has also been actively participating in the ISHRS meetings since 2002.

Dr. Humayun Mohmand is currently conducting a research project with primary emphasis on direction of transplanted hair in the hairline. His work for restoration of mustaches, beard, eyebrows and hair restoration for burn patients is well respected. He prides himself in creating extremely natural looking hairlines.

He has been sending me numerous examples of his work over the past few weeks. I have posted some examples of his work in photo albums that can be viewed by members of this forum community. To view examples of his work visit:

Trichophytic Closures by Dr. Mohmand

Male Hair Transplant Patients of Dr. Mohmand

Female Hair Transplant Patients of Dr. Mohmand

I'm impressed by his results and I think that he should be recommended in Pakistan where we currently have no recommended physicians in the entire region.

I get many emails from hair loss sufferers in these regions who don't know who to turn to for quality hair restoration care. It would be great to provide them with solid recommendation in their part of the world.

At this point I would like recommend Dr. Mohmand in Pakistan on the Hair Transplant Network (He is not being considered for membership in the Coalition at this time). Your input and opinions are welcome.

Thanks, Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

icon_smile.gif

We've been down this road before. Whether there is a recommendation for this Network or the Coalition, I don't ever feel like I can give a valid arguement for approval based on a few of the docs personal best photos.

Pat you have witnessed more of his work and had the opportunity to talk with him on several occasions and are more familiar with his history. Morevover, you are well educated as to what categorizes an individual as a premier HT physician. I guess we have to trust your judgement unless otherwise disputed with evidence from other members.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

I must agree with NervNell,

Pat, your past actions, words, intentions, and constant efforts to maintain a two way communicative dialouge with all the members you constantly welcome to this board speaks volumes about your integrity and values. The venue and genuine purpose of this entire entity has never strayed off course and that is due to you. So I, and many others most likely, am perfectly happy and comfortable relying on your judgment, expertise, and honesty in making decisions such as these. Granted, if I saw or knew something contradictory to your message or efforts, I would speak up and know you would hear me out. But that's not the case here. So again I say "You make the call" (spoken in that football announcers voice of course) icon_smile.gif

Yes, Pat makes the ultimate call. But, we here at the forum, are generously given a say by Pat. True we cannot judge everything by pictures alone, but we have become quite sophisticated in our knowledge of hair transplants. We as informed patients can look at pictures, evaluate technique and give an informed opinion about a doctor. So, as Pat has the final call, I'm sure it is important to him to get a thumbs up from the long time supporters of this community. I would even go so far as to say, I think Pat is pleasantly surprised at the level of knowledge of the members of this forum.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

I am fine with placing this Dr. on the recommended list.

At this time, (as Pat stated), it is vitally important that we begin to reach sufferers in Pakistan, India, Thailand, etc...

Perhaps extending Dr. Mohammad to our recommended list can further develop that process.....

I would like to see a CONCERTED EFFORT by Dr.'s who meet our recommendation requirements to consistantly provide patient photos and treatment schedules....... Even to the point of self-promotion.

I think it will provide a continuous sample of the work being done...... and allow us to critique the work as well.

Thanks Guys

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

B-Spot, I'm going to disagree with your general point, though this has no bearing on my opinion of Dr. Mohmand or recommending him for the Coalition. While I second Pat's hopes that a superior surgeon can be located in that part of the world, I think that should not be the basis for putting just anyone on the list.

Here's how I see it: A HT is an expensive venture, figure 10k on the average. Sadly, this is not a fair world in which we live, and those who cannot afford this kind of expense will not be able to avail themselves of the luxury of a HT. Consequently, another $300-800 for a round-trip ticket should make virtually no difference in the scheme of things, particularly since this is a one/twice/thrice in a lifetime venture. I'd rather see folks from the Far East take that flight and get superb work than send them to a less-than-excellent doctor just because he/she is around the corner (no reference to Dr. Mohmand). Geography should be of limited concern, unless all other elements are equal.

My blog.

HT1: 4063 grafts by Dr. Hasson, 12/9/03

HT2: 3537 grafts by Dr. Hasson, 5/15/06

Total grafts: 7,600

Hey Bushy!

I don't disagree with you at all...... I think EVERYONE should come to the States/Canada and start EVERY potential HT journey with a consult with at least 3-4 Coalition Docs.

What I think for most potential patients is that travel in addition to the actual surgery simply is not an option. This seems to especially dominate the thought processes of sufferers from the Middle East/Southeast Asia etc... where a trip to the U.S., the actual surgery and cost is not a consideration for most.

So in an attempt to reach and help direct some of these sufferers who are never going to follow our advice as to travel/geography I think identifying a SOLID (not great) HT Doc in this corner of the world is a positive.

Remember, Dr. Mohmmad is only being placed on the recommended list and is NOT being considered for membership in the Coalition.

I struggle sometimes with recommending Doc's when I KNOW for a FACT that a better Doc or Doc's exist. but I also am trying to look forward and understand the mindset and situations of others and act accordingly. It is not a perfect world, and even less so for many others than myself.

In this situation, I think Pat identifying Dr. Mohammad is a good thing.

I have already pointed out some of the deficiencies in Dr. Mohammads work, but also realize that 99.9% of his clientele will be Indian/Pakistani and using this formula feel that Pat is distinguishing a "safe" HT doc for us to offer (as a secondary alternative) in this part of the world.

I like the idea of getting constant updates and patient reports from outside the U.S. as well.

It will make our job that much more important to critique results and use information gleaned elsewhere to point these chaps in the right direction.

As long as we offer the BEST Docs FIRST, and use recommended Docs as a safe or solid alternative due to obvious situations, I am fine with this. If that line is crossed, I will then withdraw support of our recommended list.

As always Bushy, great to hear from you and glad you are adding your insight brother!!!!!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

• Administrators

I appreciate the vote of confidence from some of the veteran members of this community. While I do make the final choice on which physicians are officially recommended on the Hair Transplant Network, input from the collective brain known as the online hair loss community has been very helpful. I also think my decision process should be as transparent as possible and that I should be held accountable by this community for my decisions.

In the event that any recommended physician/clinic fails to walk the talk I want to be the first to hear about it. I have and will promptly revoke a recommendation for a physician who does not provide top quality results.

Regarding Pakistan, many hair loss sufferers there may not even be able to get a visa to travel to North America. Others simply can't afford to pay the higher cost. I think we will be doing them a great service by helping them find Dr. Mohmand.

In time I would also like to find an outstanding physician/clinic in India who we can also recommend. This would be a great service to hair loss sufferers in India.

B Spot I do agree that it would be great to see more photos from more clinics on this forum. I do nag the physicians to do this but it is like pushing the proverbial rope. Many top physicians are just oblivious to the forums, despite repeated encouragement to get involved.

Best wishes, Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Originally posted by the B spot:

I would like to see a CONCERTED EFFORT by Dr.'s who meet our recommendation requirements to consistantly provide patient photos and treatment schedules....... Even to the point of self-promotion.

B-Spot, I agree with you except for the "self promotion" part. Self promoters scare me as they sometimes have their own interest ahead of the patients. Top professionals in most any field really do not need to promote themselves, their satisfied clients will do that for them and they usually have more business them time allows. How would you feel if after a consult, the Doc says: "I am wide open how about tomorrow for surgery"???? icon_eek.gif

Now the photos are another issue, IMO, if a doctor cannot provide consistent HIGH QUALITY before and after photos of patients from several angles including closure photos(and not just three or four of their best!) they are not completing the job. In order for the forum to view, no one can really make an up or down recommendation to coaliton membership without these. I would consider making that one of the criteria for membership. Heck, some of the guys like you, Bill, MichaellovesNY and several others put up much better photos than the average Doc does! That is a shame, a digital camera is not that hard to use.

NoBuzz

This has been a great discussion and I really am struggling with finding any more to add...so I guess I'll just repeat some highlighted points that I agree with:

1. I also put my vote of confidence in Pat and trust his judgement

2. I am also glad that Pat gives us and hears our voice regarding these doctors to get our feedback

3. I echo B Spot when I say I have trouble "recommending" a doctor when I know there are BETTER (coalition) doctors in other parts of the world, however, I also think it's a good idea to identify credible work for those who simply can't or WON'T travel for whatever reasons.

4. Based on the pictures I've seen, I do agree that Dr. Mohammad meets the criteria for "recommendation" and I will stand by Pat's recommendation.

5. My disclaimer on how I will most likely "approach" someone asking about this doctor on the forums would be something like this:

"Based on photos I've seen of Dr. Mohammad's work, he appears to do solid follicular unit transplanation, so he would be a good choice IF you can't or won't travel, however, I do recommend that you consider looking into traveling to meet with a coalition doctor who has excelled to the best of the best (where I might insert a few key names of doctors that I have seen their work regularly and favorably, like Hasson, Wong, Shapiro, Feller, Cooley, etc.)"

6. I think the whole coalition doctor verses recommended doctor thing is difficult...because as a forum member, I rarely would recommend someone go get surgery with a recommended doc when I know there are better (the coalition) doctors out there. I think there is benefit of recommending docs (especially since there is more globe coverage, and it gives people a choice for those who refuse to or can't travel), however I guess I'd hope those recommended doctors are pushing themselves to eventually become coalition doctors, to make the best of the best instead of settling for mediocrity.

Well, I wrote more than enough for now icon_wink.gif.

Bill

Buzz--- Excellent Point!!!! Let me clarify--- when I say self-promotion, I mean that as a RECOMMENDED Doc on our site, I feel it is incumbent on he or she to constantly provide updates and patient profiles. Every doc should be striving to get better, IMO.

If we (the collective membership) continue to do our part, then we will readily identify any issues that come up.

In retrospect I should have clarified that better, so thanks for bringing it to my attention!

I just think that our Coalition/Recommended Docs should use this site as we do- because when they do post, a large audience is available to comment from various perspectives.

I think that is a good thing, to be sure.

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

If recommending HT surgeons was a science it'd be a whole lot easier icon_biggrin.gif.

As for Dr. Mohammad's work, I finally found the time to really view his work and it appears solid to me. From what I could see, the results produced appear to be the result of ultra refined FUT and they blend very naturally. I would like to see a few more close-up's directly after surgery, if possible. Two of the gentlemen in the pics appear to have pretty low hairlines........especially the one who was NW 6, just my observation. Also, to get a better idea of density and overall coverage, I hope to start seeing more overhead and crown shots.

As for listing Dr. Mohammad on the HTN's recommended list, I would opt to include him. He appears to deliver the required results. Since this isn't a request to include him in Coalition Membership, I'll stop there.

I appreciate Pat's willingness to ask our views. Though undoubtedly Pat is the expert when it comes to these types of things (especially where he's seen the work first-hand), we can all miss things and I believe it shows wisdom to consider the opinion of others in situations like this. I've often looked at results from a particular position and thought...."hmm, looks pretty good". Then, view the thread later where some of my trusted comrades point things out that I missed.........hairline issue, lacking in density, consistent low graft yields on HT's..........whatever. So, at the end of the day, I'm glad Pat asks for our input and believe he really considers what we think........maybe even too much sometimes. To me, it's things like this that separate the forum from some of the rest and, in my opinion, place it one step ahead in what is delivered to those suffering from hair loss.

Pat- I do think there is merit in reviewing our current qualifications for "recommended" physician and "coalition recommended" physician requirements. I read the coalition membership criteria when posting this reply and it is pretty detailed. Maybe the addition of the actual number of years practicing HT's could be added? If we are going to be contributing to decisions for or against recommended physicians and coalition-recommended physicians it would be great if the requirements are as detailed as we can get them.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

After finally finding the time to review Dr. Mohmand's work, I would have no problem recommending him on HTN. His work appears to be highly refined with very nice looking hair lines.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

After extensive review, both privately and publicly on this forum, I'm pleased to announce that Dr. Mohmand is now recommended on the Hair Transplant Network for Pakistan.

I want to thank everyone for their valuable input regarding Dr. Mohmand's standing with this community.

To read the formal announcement of Dr. Mohmand's new membership please view, Changes to the recommended physicians on this community.

Best wishes, Pat

My Hair Loss Blog

Thanks for the notice, Pat. I'll be very anxious to see more of his work.

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

• 2 months later...

I cannot find the post, but someone just posted that Dr. Mohammed had a patient die after a session with him.

I do not know if this is propoganda spread by the other clinics in this area of the world, but I think Pat needs to call this clinic and find out what exactly happened.

In my opinion, Dr. Mohammed has done NOTHING in the past few months to showcase his work.

Quite disappointing frankly.

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Wow..............hadn't heard of that icon_confused.gif? Definitely something we'll want Pat to check out.

I agree, B, too bad Dr. Mohmand hasn't taken the time to become a little more involved with the site or at the least started to post pics of recent HT patients. It's always nice to see work of the Dr.'s recommended here.

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

• Administrators

Personally I think someone is trying to do a hatchet job on Dr. Mohmand. I wrote to him regarding these posts which seem designed to falsly insinuate that Dr. Mohmand's patient died as a result of his hair transplant surgery.

See Dr. Mohmand's response to me regarding this issue below -

Dear Pat

First of all thank you for your concern and I would like to tell you about this incident.

In 2004, I operated on a young male. He was a previous client who had a nose reshape done by myself and was interested to get a hair transplant done as well.

He unfortunately developed a brain stroke following morning after one of his main artery to brain got blocked with a thrombus. He then was taken to hospital and died after 5 days of treatment in a hospiatl.

During his stay in hospiatl he was diagnosed as suffering from a disease called HOMOCYSTINURIA.

If you read about this problem you would know that they are prone to get a brain stroke at a very early stage and his levels wee 10 times more than normal limits.

YES this incident was also discussed by myself with Dr Dow Stough and also at the ISHRS meeting in Vancouver. Every body unanimously said that this incident was a very bad coiencidence for me and also for hair transplant surgery though there is no medical link between two of them.

Then This incidence was also reported to Pakistan Medical & Dental Council and was heard by a pannel of 18 Doctors as a hearing and they cleared me from any negligence or meical problem.

As I am a leading hair transplant surgeon in Pakistan and especially since I have left the Practice of ILHT of DR Sajjad Khan, they are now trying to malinate my reputation and have done things like this in Islamabad as

well.

Anyway, YES a patient died after hair transplant but not because of hair transplant surgery and I had the courage to discuss this on ISHRS Hair Transplant Forum publications

as well.

I hope this will be good enough for you to know whats happening here.

ACtually, When Sajjad in Pakistan advertised that he is the author of 3 hair transplant surgery books and the word first American diplomat of Hair transplant surgry and the pioneer of single follicular hair trasplant

surgeon. I left him as a protest and then started my own practice as I never wanted

to be a part of this type of unlawful practice.

As I was his main surgeon he is now trying to take a sort of revenge, I guess. They actually

asked me this type of question on air when I have appeared on National telivision on so many occasion.

Humayun

My Hair Loss Blog

Not to perpetuate any "attack" against the Dr. Mohmand, but the unfortunate person was a patient of his TWICE and this medical condition was never discussed?

Did the panel find any link between the thrombus and the length of time in the operating chair/table?

Again, highly irregular, terribly unfortunate, and difficult to understand.

Recently, a patient died immediately following surgery in California as well.

http://news.hairlosshelp.com/hair-transplant-news/calif...-death-of-a-patient/

(I hope you don't mind the link Pat)

While I am not pointing fingers at the good Doctor, I would hope that you are demanding more involvement with this community.

He says he does 35 HT's a month and has for some time.... I would like to see some results.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to this thread Pat.

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Wow...it does to me, sound like a terrible and unfortunate coincidence.

However...we have to ask...DID the patient know of his condition beforehand?

If he did, hopefully he would have disclosed that on the questionnaire before surgery? Did he?

If he did...shouldn't the doctor have researched this before performing the surgery? It may still be coincidence...I don't know how, if at all, these two things could be tied together (not being a doctor). But I certainly wouldn't want to operate on a person's scalp knowing they have a brain condition.

But if the patient didn't disclose this information or didn't know...then there is no question that it's completely coincidence.

I would, however, like to see him (along with the other coalition doctors) be more active in our community.

In reality, however, I would REALLY like, more PATIENTS from these clinics become active members of our community. Though clinic postings are helpful...it's the PATIENT postings of their progress that are the REAL deal.

Bill

• 10 months later...

just wanted to know if Dr Mohammad does FUE surgery.

I had my HT done by Dr Irfan (Uzma Medical Centre) in Rawalpindi Pakistan and he messed up my hairline and also he messed up my head as well. I still feel the pain in my head even though I had my surgery done about 3 years ago.

I wish I had known Dr Mohammad at that time.

I've never heard of him doing FUE; which isn't to say he doesn't. However, I would be extrordinarily cautious in *who* you procede to do an FUE procedure with, as it is a totally different animal than FUT, and there is a tremendous amount of hype and deceit concerning it, and there are very few doctors trained and experienced in performing it at a high level.

What is your level of loss, and how many grafts are you looking at getting?

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!