WHO SHOULD I GO WITH??????

Hello..I am new to this forum. I am excited about being part of all the great discussions that take place on this forum. I never had a HT. I am 31 yrs old and a Norwood 4a and looking to fill in my front 1/3. I have no hairline and thining hair in the front only. After doing weeks of research I have narrowed down my options to Dr. Charles and Dr. Raham. I am going to recieve about 2500-3000 grafts. Any reccomendations on these two docs? Who should I go with???

HAIRFREE

DR. RAHAL - 4/4/07

3489 grafts - 7571 hairs

455 single hairs

1986 double hairs

1048 three hairs

Hello..I am new to this forum. I am excited about being part of all the great discussions that take place on this forum. I never had a HT. I am 31 yrs old and a Norwood 4a and looking to fill in my front 1/3. I have no hairline and thining hair in the front only. After doing weeks of research I have narrowed down my options to Dr. Charles and Dr. Raham. I am going to recieve about 2500-3000 grafts. Any reccomendations on these two docs? Who should I go with???

HAIRFREE

DR. RAHAL - 4/4/07

3489 grafts - 7571 hairs

455 single hairs

1986 double hairs

1048 three hairs

Hi

Just make sure they are in the coalition. Do some research on here but I'm sure others will chime in

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

For starters, are you taking Finasteride or using Minoxidil for loss prevention? If you're not familiar with either, do some research using the "find" feature on this site. I'd recommend you start immediately.

Can you post pics of your situation if possible?? If you're truly NW 4, I believe you may need more than 2500-3000 grafts for an appearance of density. You may want to review the work of the Coalition Surgeons recommended by this site. Check their work, do some consulting and see who has the plan to fit your needs. I believe Dr. Charles and Dr. Rahal are good................I'm not sure if Dr. Charles does over 3000 grafts in one session but I believe Dr. Rahal can. You may even want to try using this Graft Calculator to aid in giving you an estimate of needed grafts. Remember, you'll need at least 45 cm2 to have an appearance of density.

Hope this helps!

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Hairfree,

Welcome to our community.

You have received some excellent advice from my friends above. I assume you are talking about Dr. Charles of Boca Raton, FL and Dr. Rahal of Ottawa Canada? They are both coalition members so that is good. I am not too familiar with Dr. Charles' work, however, from what I have seen, Dr. Rahal does excellent work.

I agree with hairbank. For a NW4, you may need more like 4000-5000 grafts to get decent coverage and density, HOWEVER, depending on your situation, you MIGHT want to consider taking a more conservative approach to savor the donor area for future surgeries. You may want to get an evaluation on just how many donor grafts you have available period. Keep in mind, donor hair available doesn't mean it can all be harvested in a single session, however, depending on your attributes, you may be able to get a very large session the first time if it's in your best interest.

If you are not on finasteride, I recommend it in order to hault future loss. Getting an HT while you are still losing hair will absolutely guarantee you a need for a second HT further down the road. Now you might need that anyway...there are no guarantees since hairloss is unpredicatable.

Bill

Thank you for all the information. Are you suggesting that if I am capable of getting a large single session (depending on if I have enough donar hair) that I go with Rahal? If I am to go with small sessions then to go with Charles? Its a tough decision. Rahal's price is a bit lower and his estimate on number of grafts is closer to what Armani and H&W suggested. Armani suggested 3500 grafts. H&W said 3000. Rahal said 2500-3000. Rahal by far had the best price. Dr. Charles is suggesting 2300. Im afraid to get this done and after shockloss and future hairloss I wont see any results out of it so thats why I want to be a bit agressive. My hairloss started when I was 19-20 and it has been very slow process and I used Rogaine to slow it down and now at 31 it has got to the point where it bothers me. I have no loss so far in the crown area. Donor area is pretty think. I sent all the top HT clinics my photos. Below is a photo I have. Let me know your thoughts on this. This photo was taken under a light plus a flash.

IMG_4750.jpg.55b8469c7fe56b13c27c20764fca0674.jpg

HAIRFREE

DR. RAHAL - 4/4/07

3489 grafts - 7571 hairs

455 single hairs

1986 double hairs

1048 three hairs

Judging from the photo I would have to think that the 3000 figure is more like it. You could always go higher but why if you might be satisfied with 3000. It will provide a pretty decent cosmetic difference and allow you plenty of time to enjoy and plan if you decide to get another HT.

Dr. Rahal is a top notch surgeon and very reasonable. No people are not suggesting going with one doc for small and another for larger sessions. What they are saying is that Dr. Charles is not normally comfortable with larger sessions. He is however very skilled.

I think if you went with Rahal you would be very satisfied.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

NervousNelly,

Thank you for your straightforward response. I appreciate your time to help me out. At the moment, I am leaning towards Rahal. Its such a tough decision. I like both doctors. Thank you for your input!

I hear both doctors have great personalities and that their clients always walk away satisfied. I know I can't go wrong with either doctor on quality work however I am afraid to settle for not enough grafts and want to pick the doctor that will leave me satisfied...I am getting married on October 27th. It will be nice to have some hair for the wedding! I look forward to all of your thoughts on this...

HAIRFREE

DR. RAHAL - 4/4/07

3489 grafts - 7571 hairs

455 single hairs

1986 double hairs

1048 three hairs

Hey Hairfree,

I haven't done one my HT and am still looking around, but have heard Dr. Charles is excellent. In either case, from your pic, you will get excellent results from around 3K grafts. Either one should give you excellent results from people I have spoken with over the last few months.

I had a 2,000 graft procedure with Dr. Charles 18 months ago and it is not very dense. He is a great person and doctor, but he has not returned my e-mails for a while, kind of strange. My scar is fine and the grafts are growing very well, I like the hairline design, however he doesn't do large procedures so I am actually looking at Dr. Rahal or H&W and Armani for my next procedure.

I would recommend getting at least 3,000 grafts for your hairloss. Dr. Rahal has some very impressive pictures and his prices are the best among top docs. Good luck.

Hairfree,

If you are getting married in Oct. you had better hurry and get done or wait until after. Just a heads up.

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Hairfree-

Thanks for taking time to post the pic....it helps a ton. From what I can see if you're planning to attack the frontal 1/3 there's not much worry about shockloss as it's pretty sparse. At your age and stage of loss, I believe you could safely "dense pack" this area. My estimate would be a minimum of 3000, probably more like 3500 - 4000 for solid density.

Yes, IMO, if you're going for a larger session, and there's no reason not to in your case, I'd go with H&W or Rahal. I do believe Dr. Charles does good work but don't believe he goes much above 2000-2500.

Best of luck icon_cool.gif!

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Everybody...Thank you for all of your input! I feel lucky that I found this forum and got to be a part of it. I went ahead today and set up to have the surgery with Dr. Rahal on April 4th! I am doing it on that date because I have a 5 day weekend after that so I think I might be safer with the recovery. I might have to take a couple days off from work the next weekend to get that full week off.

My front 1/3 appears to have some hair on top when there is no light above. Im sure most of you are familiar with that icon_smile.gif Anyway, I hope that by the wedding on Oct. 27th it will look thicker. I know it takes up to a year to see full results. I am going to be agressive and go for at least 3000 and push for 3500 if Rahal is willing to do it. I promise to post pictures as I go along with the process. I am kind of excited about it now..

I feel that I found the right doctor for me after taking weeks of research. All of your input in the forum in the past year is valuable to everyone. This is a life changing decision and its nice to have reliable sources to look into. Thank you!

HAIRFREE

DR. RAHAL - 4/4/07

3489 grafts - 7571 hairs

455 single hairs

1986 double hairs

1048 three hairs

Any reccomendations on supplements that I should take in the next 3 weeks before the HT? How far out should I stop the Rogaine use?

Im taking multi-vit, fish oil, protein shakes, BCAAs (aminos), flax seed oil. Thats all. Anything that I should add to this? I want to have a speedy recovery!

HAIRFREE

DR. RAHAL - 4/4/07

3489 grafts - 7571 hairs

455 single hairs

1986 double hairs

1048 three hairs

Hairfree,

Glad that you have made the appt. with Dr. Rahal. I believe that you will have one heck of a transformation and will be extremely happy with your decision.

With a session of that magnitude I'm sure you realize that things will likely still be visible that you had work done when you return to work in 5-7 days.

If I were you I would take MSM which might help speed up the growth of the hair. Start now and keep taking it in future. I would limit rogaine use 3 days prior but there are mixed reports about when to start up again. There is actually a report that shows that a much higher number of individuals kept the transplanted grafts ( no/less shedding) or started growing early with the use of rogaine within 1st 48 hours after HT.

Good luck with everything.

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Thank you NervousNelly for your positive comments. Its nice to have that kind of support.

I have a question for anyone out there with experience in HT or with Dr. Rahal. I have some hair in front and I am getting the strip with Rahal on April 4th. Can he work around the existing hair on the front 1/3 or will he have to shave it off?

I am afraid for them to shave my head because if it is shaved then it would be very very noticable with I return to work in 7 days.

HAIRFREE

DR. RAHAL - 4/4/07

3489 grafts - 7571 hairs

455 single hairs

1986 double hairs

1048 three hairs

Hairfree:

Just a note on MSM. As Nervous said, it does/can help speed up hair growth (along with nails). Just stop taking it at least a few days before your procedure, cause it also thins the blood (like asprin and alcohol can). Good luck!

Thank you Neptune. Haha I know I am clueless. What is MSM? Please let me know and I will start on it ASAP. Also, can anyone help me with the shaved head question I posted above?

HAIRFREE

DR. RAHAL - 4/4/07

3489 grafts - 7571 hairs

455 single hairs

1986 double hairs

1048 three hairs

Best to try a search on this site and you'll find more info than you can stand. Also, I want to make sure I clarify my last message. MSM is a substance that possibly makes hairs and nails grow faster. It does not, however, make hair grow where it has not grown before. It is a supplement that may help stuff grow faster, provided it is growing in the first place. Or at least that is what I've been told. Try a search and see if that helps. Bet it will.

I just had my surgery 1 week ago today. I had the front of my head shaved, I had 5700 grafts placed in the front half of my head and temples. If I went to work without a hat I have no doubt people would notice it. Even if I had of kept the fine/thin hair I had, and not been shaved people would still notice it. It just looks like I have short hair. I just cut the rest of my hair down to a 3 clip a couple of days ago to even things out a bit, and still long enough to cover the staples.

A lot people have posted photos of how they look after 7 days, you should take a look at them to give you an idea. Also you should ask the Doctor if he will shave your head, if that's a big concern. For me it wasn't because I can wear a hat to work.

Thank you for your insights. I just heard from Dr. Rahal's office and they said he will just trim my hair down, not shave it. Not sure what that means but its a bit of a relief. I will just make the best of it. I will work with them on it and I will be prepared to return to work with it being noticable. What did you tell people at work when they asked??

Where can I buy MSM? I am interested in starting with it to have healthier hair and maybe it will help minimize shockloss?

HAIRFREE

DR. RAHAL - 4/4/07

3489 grafts - 7571 hairs

455 single hairs

1986 double hairs

1048 three hairs

Maybe you should get a haircut now, down to a 4 clip and then when you do get the surgery people will not be as shocked when you show up with short hair. I have not told anyone at work a thing, I go back next Monday and I will be wearing a baseball hat as usual. If anyone notices you'll think of something. This will change your life for the better so don't sweat it.

In Canada you can buy MSM at any drug store or Walmart, and I'm sure the same in the States. I bought mine at Shoppers Drug Mart in Canada, made by Webber, 1000 mg pills, it says joint support on the bottle. Will it stop shock less? No idea. But from what I have been reading it speeds up regrowth and makes the hair look healthier.

I also starting using vitamin 3 oil on the scalp, not the staples, 5 days after surgery. It makes the scalp less dry, and helps loosen up the scabs. I bought Jamieson's Vitamin 3, (at the same store) 100% pure oil, 28000IU, it says it repairs stressed skin, for use on post surgery skin.

Thank you for the tips! What area should I get cut down to the 4 clip? Entire head and leave the back long for coverage of the staples?

Ive never buzzed cut my hair. It makes me wonder what I will look like!

I will check out Walmart today after work for MSM. It can't hurt to try the stuff. I will also look for the Vitamin 3 oil.

I look forward to your responses on how I should cut my hair icon_smile.gif

HAIRFREE

DR. RAHAL - 4/4/07

3489 grafts - 7571 hairs

455 single hairs

1986 double hairs

1048 three hairs

If you are going to cut your hair short I would do the entire head but possibly slightly longer at back. You might look a little stupid or that you have jsut got a bad haricut, but taht way it might allow for the staples to be hidden.

Otherwise, just let everyone know and cut entire hair short. Possibly wear a hat and let people know that you had a surgery and that is why you have the hat. Just some thoughts.

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90