How many grafts do you guys think I need for hairline? with pics

I am 38. Been losing my hairline in the middle of the head and hairline for 2 years now. Propecia has helped restore some of the middle but the hairline is dying gradually. I have given up the fight there and will get a transplant at Hannson and Wong soon. My 1st visit with them is in a couple of weeks to see about grafts, cost etc. So if you look at my pics how many grafts do you think I need? I think 1500 to 2000 should be enough.

2-27_012.jpg.f1d65d0638acb92453fc3a6880a6c231.jpg

My guesstimation is that they will quote you @ 3500 grafts, appox.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Yep, I would say at least 2500 grafts---but at 38, with your loss 3000-3500 will make you look great.

Good Luck!

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

honda,

Welcome to our forum community.

At 38 years old and not a great amount of hair loss, at least compared to people like me who lost all hair on top by the time I was 28, you appear to be a good candidate for a hair transplant.

I agree with what others have said so far. Depending on your hair restoration goals and optimal hairline placement, a larger session (3000-3500 grafts) may be optimal. This will allow for more hair density and coverage and will give you a more cosmetically pleasing result overall. It will also allow the grafts to be spread further back into your existing hair to add more hair density in thinner areas.

If you want a more conservative hairline and aren't as concerned about adding too much density behind the hairline, a smaller session of 2000-2500 would most likely be sufficient.

Feel free to use our animated graft calculator which can be used as a tool to help you determine approximately the number of grafts you will need to achieve your hair restoration goals. Keep in mind this should never take place of an actual hair transplant surgeon estimated number of grafts, but certainly is a valuable tool to help you in your research.

Best wishes,

Bill

Those estimates seem reasonable to me.

The only thing I would add is that you seem to have high hair/skin contrast and straight hair. Neither of these factors help in terms of hair coverage. I would not be surprised if some docs recommend graft counts toward the higher end of the range. Still, your age and moderate level of hair loss are working in your favor so you should be able to get a fine result.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Thanks guys for the comments. I actually have seen the rep for Hansson and Wong at the Seattle office. He says 1500-1800 grafts should do. The pics with a combination of black hair and my skin tone makes it look a lot worse than it actually is. I am looking foward to meeting Dr. Wong in person and getting the MD's opinion.

Oh, my consult at the Hasson and Wong seattle office was in December. I'm hoping the 1500-1800 is correct and not the 2500-3000 grafts. Boy would that be too expensive.

Yeah, the guy at the Hasson and Wong office said 1500-1800 will do. I dont know, only one way to tell and that is for me to drive from Seattle to Vancouver and get the real answer from one of the doctors themselves.

My appt is only 2 more weeks and I am very anxious .

• 2 weeks later...