Working Out/Weight Lifting

diamondlight

If anyone wants to talk weights, diet etc etc...

Ive been in the game for about 5years plus and

have a great span of knowledge. Im also in great shape so its not one of those personal trainers that comes up to you when you sign up at a gym saying you get a free session, but in your head your thinking how it looks like he could use a few training sessions himself icon_smile.gif

But really, any questions anything....I can provide alot of "solid" information in all areas!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well yea Im 23 and have been going at it since around 15 or so. I remember curling some dumbells after 8th grade in the summer before going into highschool saying "man if I keep this up ma no one is gonna mess with me in highschool". It basically turned into me signing up to the gym, really seeing some serious results. having a great drive and dedication. Turned into a passion of mine, Ive been on n off, but Ill never stop. I just recently got back in after a year break and back for about 5months now, took anothe 2 week break for the HT, last week here : / Cant wait to get back, im itchin so bad, I can go now but Id rather wait to start the week off right. I completely readvised my diet and made some big steps forward in it. I was puttin back on some serious muscle after my year break, then the ht came up, another small break. In that time I was just thinking o man, "I was advancing nicely, and only at Level 1 ability". So in my time off I put together a whole new plan and going to come back and hit it even better and harder then before! I just really love talking weights and the body. I can chat forever about icon_smile.gif

Diamond

Thats pretty cool of you. I am 26 and fit I am looking to go into diet/personal training for a part time career. I have medical experience and I am trying to find the "best" schooling, and/or beginning job placement. Any ideas would be great Thanks

You only live once...

diamond,

It's great to be into fitness - it's good for your overall health.

I've been lifting on and off since I was 14 or so.

I felt the same way after all of my hair transplants...I wanted to get back to the gym pronto. I couldn't help myself so I went after about 5 days out from my third hair transplant with my bandana covering my staples and did ultra light weight lifting with many reps. I still felt sore the next day so that was good!

Bill

arrie - Im would say maybe work at a reputable gym and work your way up as a trainer. I know alot of friends who did things that way so. I dont really know personally besides that.

Bill-yea I agree man. I did high volume heavy weight training up untill about a year ago. Packed on great lean mass. Super lean mass with a good clean diet. Now Im strictly doing for strength n size. Heaviest weight, 6-8 rep sets, 6rep warmup, maybe 2 set of that, instead people waste alot of energy doing like 15reps warming up. You dont need that! COnserve for your heavier sets! Then Im doing on my 4th exercise I do high volume heavy enough weight for a 15 12 10 type deal so hit a complete different set of muscle fiber so I walk out with my muscles being banged every which way

Great thread, guys! Nice to know us hair geeks have more in common than just HT's! icon_cool.gif

I've been an avid weightlifter since college.............for me that's been a few years since I just turned 41! One positive thing I will share is that I do think weight training for many years has helped me physically in the long run. And, though I'm just getting started again after a 1 year layoff, before my layoff, I was putting up the same weight as I did in College so if you stay with it you can maintain and increase for several years.

I have a general question for anyone who wants it................I'm already fairly lean as I'm 6'4" and around 205lbs. My goal is to bulk up just a little but maintain definition. I've always tried to go with a high protein/low carb diet to acheive this in the past, but, by no means am I an expert in nutrition. Any tips on what type of diet is best to add some bulk but maintain definition?

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Hello Hairbank,

why not try eating five or six small meals spaced during your day to keep your body topped up with all the nutrient it needs.

I would not become to critical with what food you eat so long as its mostly from natural sources but try and aim for a gram and a half of protein per pound of body weight.

Finally i currently work out 3 x days a week, train all body parts per session and keep to the basics like squats,curls etc.I work each exercise for 3 x sets,the first two sets are just to warm up for the last set which i take to failure.

Ive followed this approach for a good number of years now and have gained solid results from it.

Dabuski

Thanks for the tips, dabuski!

The 5 or 6 small meals for me will be hard because of my job and other things I juggle on a daily basis, but, who knows, maybe I can make it work?? I agree on the protein...........that seems to be the one thing that always gave me a kicker when working out.

I'm assuming you meant you work out 3 days per week, right? And, each body part every time you work out? I'm thinking of trying a heavy week and a light week................more because of my schedule with my kids, really. I'd like to work each body part at least 2 times per week in the heavy week, but may try 3 if I decide to do what you're doing and hit it all at once. Then, the light week, might only do each body part once per week.

Any thoughts on going back and forth, heavy then light?

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Hi Hairbank

i think it would not be a bad thing to experiment and find out what works best for the individual.

Early on when i first began training i kept a training log with routines and sets ,reps ,increases in weights ,diet used etc as a means to gauge if what i was doing was working or not.

Through the log i arrived at my current routine where i stick to the heavy basic exercises ,train 3 times a week ,work all body parts in a session.

One other thing, i always try to increase my maximum

weight for each exercise.

All the best

Dabuski

So hairbank you say you wanna gain some lean mass? Nice stats by the way! I always wish I was a liiiiittle taller but my muscles are more packed together so Im nice n bulky n ripped so its a good like. Look at Franco? lol but lean mass. no offense dabuski but alot of people say that, yes its true if you want to maintain but waht you need to do is eat a fairly high protein/calorie meal/sneak every 2-3 hours. Constantly feeding your hopefully broken down muscle from yesterday workout. Thus keeping your body in an anabolic state (growing). Things to eat, theres also definately a big when n how much also but for now to give you an idea of what I eat in a day. For one! You wanna grow? You HAVE to take in 1.5ish grams of protein per lb bodyweight! Complete must! To repair your muscles from the beatdown you give them at the gym. 3500 give or take calories. You burn so many cals pumpin iron that if you dont supply your body back with what you burned (which is alot) and plenty more, you can almost never think of growing (I mean growing) but more so maintaing and leaning out more n more minus the mass part. Quick list of what I eat. Oatmeal, apple, banana, protein shake whey right after workout (super important) casien protein shake at night before bed(also suuuuuper important) eggs any kind of meat chicken steak whole wheat bread and english muffins, um...tuna, pasta, granola bars, yogurts, cottage cheese....its no game!

People think getting big is just about lifting weights. At first it is but then your body hits a plateau n to break through you have to eat like a bear. Its a full time job : / If you want me to pinpoint on anything or clarify shoot, i just wanted to get the random must haves outta the way for the most part

Hi Diamondlight,

i must say i admire your laser light focus to which you adhere to.

I guess like a lot of things in life individuals respond differently .

I found what works best for me (i,m currently 273 pounds at height of 6ft 5 ,not ripped ,not fat either)

I just eat good and train hard and heavy.

dabuski- laser light focus lol i like that

yea I really take a passion in what I do. I just train, not as career or any of that sort. Just love it icon_smile.gif But completly right, what works for one person wont work for another. Your body is weird science and you must figure out the right compound. Tough stuff takes a while. But as long as your slingen weights and gettin in n taken care of business, then thats A ok in my book icon_smile.gif alot of people think lifting is just ok, go to the gym, lift n thats it. If your really looked to be adequately physiqued, you must commit more then just that. If I told you my schedule youd think I was some professional BB but I am faaar from that lol.

Does anyone have any recommended reading on reducing body fat % at the same time as being in weight training?

I'm not looking for mass, only to sculpt my muscles extra mass is an impediment in cycling, its why women can often cycle as fast, or faster, than many men, less mass.

I mainly work chest, abs, and biceps. I normally do seated dumbell curls (40's) around x5 and then around x3 sets of preacher curls, and my arms never grow. I see improvement elsewhere though, any exercises recommended for blasting your biceps and peaking them would be really helpful (or something that worked for you)

Hi Wylie,

on the subject of biceps, heres an exercise i use to keep them growing.

Its a basic barbell curl but divided into 3 separate parts.

Imagine the range of movement from the bottom part of the exercise with arms fully extended, to the top part of this exercise.

Now divide this range into 3.

Grasp a barbell, with near enough 80% of the maximine you can use for this exercise. Now begin to curl but stop a 3rd of the way up and return. Aim for 10 to 15 reps. Next with no stopping start a 3rd of the way up and begin curling but stop again at approx a 3rd of the way up again ,aim for 10 to 15 reps .The last part of the exercise is the final upper 3rd preformed as the first two with no rest in between.

By the time you have finished this i would expect your arms to be completely wasted. I would recommend that you do this just the once as part of your normal arm routine.

Give it a go for a couple of months and see what happens.

Dabuski

Originally posted by dhoose75:

diamondlight; I'm big into fitness/bodybuilding; here is a pic from my last show; I'm preparing for another show in april of 08

dhoose75............you're a stud.........no way to say it other than that icon_cool.gif! You have to train 24/7 to maintain that, don't you bro??

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

hairbank,

It is impossible to maintain your size and shape as displayed in his picture. You virtually have to starve yourself in order to have that little body fat and it would be detrimental to your health to maintain it long term.

However, one can maintain a healthy physique all year round but they simply won't be that ripped!

Dhoose...when was that picture taken bro? You are certainly ripped in that picture!

Bill

Originally posted by Bill - Moderator:

hairbank,

It is impossible to maintain your size and shape as displayed in his picture. You virtually have to starve yourself in order to have that little body fat and it would be detrimental to your health to maintain it long term.

However, one can maintain a healthy physique all year round but they simply won't be that ripped!

Dhoose...when was that picture taken bro? You are certainly ripped in that picture!

Bill

Agreed Bill.........maintaining the regimen that produces results like that would be killer.........I know I don't have the time or desire but sheesh, he looks pretty dang good!

Hey, isn't there a pill or something we can take to just get buff? I just went to the gym today for a chest/tri workout after laying off nearly a year...........I'm gonna be a sore puppy this week! icon_biggrin.gif

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

you guys should chill out more and try the budweiser diet,carry those crates of beer in the house,have a short rest,then drink as much as possible and fall asleep having nothing to eat.

wake up next day and repeat.

30 inch waist in no time!!!!

2 x strip ht`s with Norton,very poor results

1 x fue ht with DHI,very poor result

dhoose- awwwwwesome leg seperation brotha. Looking at that pic thats the first thing I said to myself. Could use a little calf work icon_smile.gif haha What was your weigh in...70ish? I just came off a 2 week break, give me a month to get back on my game and Ill post some pix. Only problem, Im not going to be tan :/ Which you know is a big deal! icon_smile.gif

Bill- you certainly dont have to starve yourself

grilled chicken n skim milk baby, o yea and water lol alllllllll day long No carbs! thats that

Originally posted by chucky:

you guys should chill out more and try the budweiser diet,carry those crates of beer in the house,have a short rest,then drink as much as possible and fall asleep having nothing to eat.

wake up next day and repeat.

30 inch waist in no time!!!!

Nah, Chucky, I tried that diet "back in the day", in college.........all I really accomplished is waking up, feeling like crap and not remembering where I parked my car icon_biggrin.gif!

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Originally posted by diamondlight:

dhoose- awwwwwesome leg seperation brotha. Looking at that pic thats the first thing I said to myself. Could use a little calf work icon_smile.gif haha What was your weigh in...70ish? I just came off a 2 week break, give me a month to get back on my game and Ill post some pix. Only problem, Im not going to be tan :/ Which you know is a big deal! icon_smile.gif

Bill- you certainly dont have to starve yourself

grilled chicken n skim milk baby, o yea and water lol alllllllll day long No carbs! thats that

Okay diamond.............I'm with you on this! Let's push each other a little bit on something else other than hair icon_biggrin.gif!

I'm just back in the gym (yesterday) after like a 1 year plus layoff...............I'll commit to posting progress pics starting at 1 month then monthly thereafter...........how 'bout it?? Surely you can keep up with a 41 yr old guy, eh? icon_wink.gif

Anyway, I don't have a lifting partner and it's nice to kind of have something to shoot for!

Oh, and dhoose, you can't compete........already saw your pics and you look too good already! icon_cool.gif

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

lol hairbank, dhoose....you are "not" allowed. haha jk I can say I have a great well put together body. Even after growing up playing soccer and wrestling my whole life, I never had leg muscle seperation like that. But if you want it you get it. For one I never competed and 2 I mainly heavy compound press movements and rarely rep out on legs. Nor do I seperate 2days for quads/hams but I "do not" neglect them. Nor should anyone as deeeeeep squats are a sick mass builder. You dont do squats? You dont grow to great potential. hairbank-i can talk hair all day too but that makes me upset lol and at this point im dealing with what I have (which isnt bad and cant do much more then that) and patiently waiting for my HT w/dr. true to start sprouting. Im only out a month dec.2 so I gots a loong way to go :/ Yesterday was my first day back from the 2 week break (ht) and I cant wait for a month to pass!!! Posting pix sounds like a good idea. Seems like its you and I till the end old man!! lol jk Imagine if we now discover we've been working out next to each other the whole time hahaha Hey your that guy from the gym, I rmember you!