Few questions

Hello one and all,

Please excuse the scatter-gun nature of this post, but I am planning on having a procedure (c.2500 grafts) with Dr Ron Shapiro in August and have some queries:

1. I'm from the UK - I plan to fly in 2 days before and leave 2 days afterwards. Does this sound reasonable?

2. How long does the healing take? The reason I ask is I will need to go back to work within a couple of weeks and have a wedding to attend on the 27 September so would hope that all effects from the operation would have been safely covered up by then.

3. How long til you see tangible results? The reason I ask is that I am actually getting married next year - probably June - and this is a very important consideration!

4. Can anyone recommend a decent hotel to stay at in Bloomington, Minnesota?!

5. Any general remarks on SMG would also be useful.

For info purposes, I have also addressed these concerns to SMG but would be interested in other people's views.

Thanks very very much for your help.

D

Hello one and all,

Please excuse the scatter-gun nature of this post, but I am planning on having a procedure (c.2500 grafts) with Dr Ron Shapiro in August and have some queries:

1. I'm from the UK - I plan to fly in 2 days before and leave 2 days afterwards. Does this sound reasonable?

2. How long does the healing take? The reason I ask is I will need to go back to work within a couple of weeks and have a wedding to attend on the 27 September so would hope that all effects from the operation would have been safely covered up by then.

3. How long til you see tangible results? The reason I ask is that I am actually getting married next year - probably June - and this is a very important consideration!

For info purposes, I have also addressed these concerns to SMG but would be interested in other people's views.

Thanks very very much for your help.

D

1. That sounds like a good plan. You'll be suprised at the relatively pain free process. But, I found more 'discomfort' at day 6 than day 2.

2. If you have some native hair, it can be covered up nicely. That is if SMG doesn't shave it. Mine was undetectable at day 4, except for some large plugs I had removed on the hairline. But, as a diffuse thinner I had some hair up there.

3. At 10 months, I would suspect you'll have 80% of your final results, so your new bride might think she's married your hairy twin. icon_wink.gif

4. Is there a decent hotel in Bloomington? Just kidding. I can't help you there, but I hear that's a nice area.

5. The results I've seen from SMG are awesome.

Good luck.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Hello daw721,

1. Flying in 2 days before and leaving 2 days after the operation sounds reasonable. It gives you time to discuss your situation with the surgeon. Also the day after the surgery you will have time to go to the clinic in case of any complications or questions. After my surgery I took a bus back to my hometown for 6 hours and did not have any complications because of the journey

2. everybody heals differently however within 2 weeks the scabs should fall off. Avoid the sun, that way the redness on the scalp will disappear sooner. Depending on your level of hairloss you may cover your transplant. However when shaving is required it will take longer to return back to your normal appearance.

3. After as early as 3 months you may see some early hairs sprouting. However you will have to wait at least 5-6 months to see a cosmetic difference. The transplantation needs about one year to fully mature, it may even take upto 18 months.

4. google

5. SMG is highly regarded and performs ultra refined work. Using this sites Find feature you will see tons of information and patient photos of SMG. From the work I have seen online they truly belong to the top.

In general do your research on these questions, these are frequently asked questions by hairtransplant patients on this forum.

You choose a great clinic. Maybe you can stay in a spare room at Jannas house and she can tell you how handsome and funny I am

If not try calling Matt and asking him the name of the hotel with the shuttle that will bring you to the clinic I believe its called countryside inn. Its 100 a night and looks nice .I stayed with a friend

Hi Daw-- I think this will help you out!

1. I'm from the UK - I plan to fly in 2 days before and leave 2 days afterwards. Does this sound reasonable? Yes, this is reasonable--most leave 2-3 days after surgery.

2 weeks will see you clear of surgery, but you may have a slightly pink scalp, there is a potential for shockloss that can last 2-3 months, but for work you should be fine 14 days post-surgery. The sept 27th date should not be an issue.

3. How long til you see tangible results? The reason I ask is that I am actually getting married next year - probably June - and this is a very important consideration! 3 months should see some slight growth, 6 months about 40-50%, 10-12 months everything should have pushed through the scalp, with an additional 6 months of "thickening and softening" to follow--- for all intents and purposes, 10-12 months should do just fine for results.

I have stayed at the Country Inn several times and found it to be very pleasing--especially the free breakfasts! Tell them you are with Shapiro Medical and you will have shuttle service to and from the clinic.

My choices and biases are clear, I'll let others answer this question.

Please contact me if you have any additional concerns or questions.

Take Care,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

1. 2 days after should be plenty of time to review any potential issues that might arise. Not a problem.

2. The grafts will anchor within 6-9 days. As long as you follow the proper post op regimen, scabs can fall off within a week or so. As was mentioned if you have native hair, you may be able to disguise any post inflammatory reactions around the hair follicles. At two weeks, most patients are fine, you may have alot of the stubble still present. Telogen effluvium or temporary shock loss is always a possibility inthe early months to follow.

more info on shock loss

3. How long til you see tangible results? "tangible" can vary, I have seen significant results at 5 months. Propecia may help postoperatively. Discuss with SMG.

4. Can anyone recommend a decent hotel to stay at in Bloomington, Minnesota?! Not from Jupiter.

5. Any general remarks on SMG would also be useful. You are in great hands..not to worry.

Hello Daw,

Except for PGP's spare room comment, you've been given some good advice. icon_wink.gif

Feel free to email me if you have any other concerns or questions: janna@shapiromedical.com

I can also get you in touch with some of our UK patients for additional information. I hope you have your hotel booked as there is a national convention occuring end of August and our local hotels are booking up quickly. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance. Looking forward to meeting you.