Would it be a mistake not to consult with anyone else and just go to the Shapiro Medical Group. I live in on the East of Wisconsin, about 3 hours north of Chicago and about 4 hours from SMG.

Also, can any doctor really do a quality assesment by looking at a couple of pics online as opposed to actually going to see them in person. I would think that in person would be much better.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Scott

Would it be a mistake not to consult with anyone else and just go to the Shapiro Medical Group. I live in on the East of Wisconsin, about 3 hours north of Chicago and about 4 hours from SMG.

Also, can any doctor really do a quality assesment by looking at a couple of pics online as opposed to actually going to see them in person. I would think that in person would be much better.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Scott

Pat says this guy is one of the best he's ever seen... http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Consult-a-Physician/Doctors.asp?DrID=54

Plus, SMG is excellent as well. I think it's just as good to do a phone consult with the doctors you narrow it down to, and then go in the afternoon before and let the doc look at you. That way he's thinking about your case the night before.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Saleen,

Dr. Ron and Paul Shapiro do excellent state of the art work but so do many others.

It is certainly in your best interest to do as much research as possible first before jumping in the surgical chair. Consult with a few leading surgeons you are considering and look for consistency in patient results.

Best wishes,

Bill

Hi Saleen, good solid research is always the best option, regardless of who your considering.

While I fully believe there are a select few clinics who have risen above the need to look elsewhere, SMG is certainly among them, it will do you good to talk to a couple of different docs to get comfortable with the "process"

I would suggest you consult with Dr. Konier in Chicago and Dr. Gencheff in WI, in addition to consulting with Shapiro Medical

Obviously, we can take care of any of your needs, but I would rather see you make the decision with more information and without doubt.

Please let me know if I can help you out and good luck!

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Saleen,

In addition to Jason's quality list, I'd also suggest adding Dr. Keller of Chicago to your list who is also recommended. Jason seems to forget sometimes that despite his personal choices, we have chosen to recommend other physicians based on evidence of quality results.

For a list of all who we recommend, click here. To see our standards for recommendation, click here.

Best wishes,

Bill

Ron Shapiro is in my opinion the BEST out there.He turned me down 2 times because he believed that I was too young to get a surgery.

Although,I still disagree with him when it comes to my case because I believe Propecia has really stabilized my hairloss,it showed that he really cares about his patients.

Go with Ron Shapiro and know that you are in the best hands.

I did my HT with another GREAT doctor (Dr.Rahal) and I am really happy that I did it with him.But my #1 choice was SMG.

Peaceful_Lion - I'd be interested in seeing your photos (pre/post op) with Dr. Rahal. What was the reason that SMG turned you down (too young combined with minimal hair loss?)

As an aside, I've tended to notice that Bill & B-Spot aren't the best of friends, or this is how it comes across to me icon_smile.gif

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

I am 2 months post-op now,I will post pics on my 3 months mark M&M.

I only got 1700 grafts to fix my hairline and according to Dr.Shapiro,my hairline was appropriate for my age.

He said,work CAN be done but he wouldn't do it NOW.I was tired of waiting.

I am glad that I did it.I just hope that everything turns out fine.I see some growth already,just cant wait to go through the thickening process.

• 2 weeks later...

Had my in person consultation with Dr. Genchef yesterday. I think he is very straight forward and doesn't blow a bunch of sunshine up your a$$.

He thinks I should go on prepecia to save what I have left ( which isn't muchicon_frown.gif My hairline is still pretty much intact, but everything behind it is pretty much gone 5+ range. He said I have enough donor for 3 good sessions.

I'll hold off on making any decision until I see Shapiro next week and then Konier on 7-25.

One thing to note is that Gencheff charges by the area/session. He makes the incisions and helps trim the graphs, but for the most the techs place them. According to him, once he makes he holes, the techs cn only place them in the holes he made and in the direction that he made the holes...which makes sense. I forgot to ask how many cases he works on in a day...I'll have to call and ask.

Off to Shapiro next week.

Scott

Saleen its good to hear that you are taking your time and keeping all options open. I'm gonna try to keep the cheer leading being a patient of Dr. Ron Shapiro. In all my experiences with all the doctors offices I have dealt in with my life, I NEVER have experienced pt care as SMG provides. I have said this in threads before they genuinely care for you as a person, I know it sounds cheesy. When you get on that emotional rollercoaster that may be one thing you may want to consider. Dr. Konior has had some nice examples here. I wish you the best of luck. You can PM me anytime with questions regarding my experience at SMG, take care.

You only live once...

Don't let travel distance keep you from going to one of the top docs, and, imo, shapiro falls into that category. besides, 4 hours is nothing: some guys travel around the world for a great ht surgeon!

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

I admire your approach, Saleenboy.

You surely would not go wrong with SMG, but different coalition physicians might have somewhat different philosophies regarding your HT. So, you should (and it seems you are) consider as many as you can.

Knowledge is power. The advice given here is excellent.

Good luck!

Originally posted by Arrie:

Saleen its good to hear that you are taking your time and keeping all options open. I'm gonna try to keep the cheer leading being a patient of Dr. Ron Shapiro. In all my experiences with all the doctors offices I have dealt in with my life, I NEVER have experienced pt care as SMG provides. I have said this in threads before they genuinely care for you as a person, I know it sounds cheesy. When you get on that emotional rollercoaster that may be one thing you may want to consider. Dr. Konior has had some nice examples here. I wish you the best of luck. You can PM me anytime with questions regarding my experience at SMG, take care.

That's great Arrie, and I'm impressed with SMG as well. I wish I could find, and I've been looking for a family doctor that would give half the service / care as Dr. Cooley did or the way Dr. Shapiro does as well.

Just Tuesday I went to a new doctor here in town as I've been sort of unhappy with my doc of the past four years. This doc seemed again to be more interested in talking that listening, AND his nurse gave me some depression medicine sample, Lexipro, instead of the cholesterol medicine sample, Lipitor. I know they sound similar but come on!

Anyway, thankfully I pay enough attention and looked it up on line. I scolded him pretty good so I might have to reopen my search.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

• 2 weeks later...

Went to SMG on Tuesday 7-02, met with Matt for about an hour and half and then also met with both Paul and Ron for about 10 minutes each.

Over all, similiar evaluation as Genchef, but they did express a few more concerns, and had a few more suggestions. A little more expensive, but that's to be expected.

They also suggested propecia/proscar.

Interesting side note, there was a guy from Australia that had an evaluation while I was there and was having work done the next day.

Next consultation is with Konior on 7-25.