Want a tranplant

Approaching 40 and would like to add some hair to head. Wife is getting her boobs done so why not? Heading out to see the gal in Tucson Dr. Keefe. So far what I have read on here is nothing but glowing reports. It seems like almost an infocommercial for Dr.'s . The site seems almost too godd to be true. If it is...thank god for the internet!!!!

Approaching 40 and would like to add some hair to head. Wife is getting her boobs done so why not? Heading out to see the gal in Tucson Dr. Keefe. So far what I have read on here is nothing but glowing reports. It seems like almost an infocommercial for Dr.'s . The site seems almost too godd to be true. If it is...thank god for the internet!!!!

I do notice that a guy in town Dr. Alexander does the ultra fine follicular units. What do you guys think? Would he be a better choice considering he does what seems to be the latest in technology?

LOL with your reasoning for getting this done!

Hope your wife has a successful surgery.

Both docs come highly recommended, maybe your close enough to meet with each and make your choice.

Good luck and keep us posted,

NoBuzz

finnari,

I don't want to assume...but do you mean Dr. Keene rather than Dr. Keefe? Because I've heard of Dr. Keene who is a coalition doctor, but not Dr. Keefe icon_wink.gif.

Both doctors do good work from what I've seen though I admit, I have not seen a lot from either doctor. My advice is make sure no matter which doctor you choose that you have seen a good number of patient before/progression/after pictures and that you are content with the work you've seen done. The overall picture should give you an idea of what to expect for yourself.

Good luck to you and your wife!

Bill

finnari-

Dr's Alexander and Keene are both recommended here. It kind of depends on your loss situation and what you want to achieve. Any way you can share some pics or more information about your loss like where you're at on the Norwood scale?

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Finnari, It looks like you live in Phoenix as I do, You should make an appointment with Dr. Alexander for a Consultation.

I did & I was very impressed with his pictures,

his office & staff.

He will answer all of your questions & will not make you feel rushed & he is not pushy.

Hi finarri,

I would recommend meeting with both Dr. Keene and Dr. Alexander so you can make an informed decision. FYI, Dr. Keene helped introduce follicular unit grafting to the hair tranpslant field to change the way hair restoration was performed. She is the acting chairman for the 2007 International Society of Hair Restoration Surgeons' conference in Las Vegas because of her contributions to the field. She does utilize the latest techniques, including ultra refined follicular unit grafting, lateral incisions, custom cut blades, trichophytic closure, etc. She also does dense packing, but bases her recommendations on your individual circumstances. Every patient is different. Factors such as donor availability, hair characteristics, area of hairloss, future hairloss, budget, personal preference, etc, play a role in the decision process. She knows the benefits of dense packing, but also recognizes that at times it can cost more without additional cosmetic benefit. Double follicular units at times appear as natural as single follicular unit grafts. Dr. Keene has over a decade of additional experience; consequently she can do every type of grafting surgery, while newcomers to the field often know only one technique.

In case it doesn't show in my signature, I am a hair transplant surgical assistant and an independent contractor for Dr. Keene. Good luck in your quest for more hair!

I am a medical assistant and hair transplant surgical assistant employed by Dr. Keene

Dr. Keene is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

This is a great website and thanks for all your informed considerate answers. I did mean Dr. Keene, I think I called her Keefe.

I will post some pics in the future. I have pretty decent hair just need a lot of frontal work really. Will study that Norwood scale and see where I fit in.

I did have a transplant with Dr. Hitzig in New York about 10 years ago. It was not a very good job but my natural hair covers up his bad work. Nobody can tell I had work done but they surely could if I didnt have any natural hair to work with.

thanks again everyone. I will take my time and consult with the doctors.

• Moderators
I did have a transplant with Dr. Hitzig in New York about 10 years ago. It was not a very good job but my natural hair covers up his bad work. Nobody can tell I had work done but they surely could if I didnt have any natural hair to work with.

I too went to Dr. Hitzig years ago. In my opinion he is the absolute worst. Lied about everything and the work was horrendous.

I'm currently looking into maybe getting a body hair transplant to fill in a few spots... especially the scarring.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Hi

I've heard great things about Dr. Keene

Do some research

JB

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Funny keefe isn't that a type of hash.. any way both docs are good. If you have moderate loss only in the front 1/3 which it sounds like I would go with Dr.Alexander I like his hairlines more. If you have more turf to cover nw5+ I would go with Dr.Sharon Keene personally(IMO). I would at least have a in person consult with both if I lived in reasonable distance to both Docs why not.

I went to Dr. Alexander and have had great results! He uses custom blades to make the incisions and makes your hairline very natural and is quite the perfectionist. Check out my pics and give him a call and go meet with him. If I go back for one more for the crown it will definately be with him.

finnari-

Have you made a determination on the level of your loss as it relates to the Norwood scale? If you only need minimal hairline work, while I wouldnt' be that concerned with location, either Alexander or Keene would do quality work for you. Personally, I would probably choose Alexander as I do like his hairlines and he may be more of a proponent of true "dense packing" of 45-55 cm2, or more, in the hairline & frontal 1/3. Just IMO.

I'd advise you to take it slow, do some consulting and maybe expand your list a little. Most places cover airfare and hotel if you travel so it's really no big deal.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

We have updated Dr. Keene's photos under her coallition membership, since the ones we had on there were from the late 90's. So now you can see some examples of her current work there. Dr. Keene typically does density around 50/sq cm, but will do more or less depending on the situation. As I mentioned, she uses custom cut blades etc. She is well known for her extremely natural hairlines. She also believes in using double follicular units in areas because they can have as natural of an appearance with less expense.

When you have not had surgery or a consultation with a specific doctor, you can only base assessments on photos that are on the internet, so we are working on updating our gallery. You can also see more of Dr. Keene's photos on her website at www.hairrestore.com.

I am a hairtransplant surgical assistant and an independent contractor for Dr. Keene

I am a medical assistant and hair transplant surgical assistant employed by Dr. Keene

Dr. Keene is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Hi Finnari,

The photos we added are a cross section of various hairloss types and hair characteristics. It really is just a few, and we will be adding more. We realize that the web is where many hairloss sufferers are doing their initial research, so are trying to provide you and others with the resources to make informed decisions about your options. We were focusing on more recent results partly because that is when we started using a digital camera. We began by adding some patients who gave their consent to have their photos used as well. Most people value their privacy in regard to this procedure. Moreover, many of Dr. Keene's patients did not come in for 9 and 12 month follow ups this past year.

While Dr. Keene produces excellent, natural results, we would be disingenuous not to say that we do have our favorite before and after photos. Any clinic that says otherwise is probably not being completely forthright.

I am a hair transplant surgical assistant and independent contractor for Dr. Keene

Clinics will only post their best results. Anyone that thinks otherwise is being naive.

Personally I think Dr. Keene produces the most natural results of any doctor, even Dr. Shapiro. I know that is a bold statement, but I believe her hands on approach to graft placement works to achieve a more natural result. Dense packing is not the only factor in producing great hairlines (obviously). I think everyone would agree with that. So what is it? It's a combination of artistic placement, transition into the temples (critical) and yes, graft placement into the proper incision and at the proper angle. Some would say a graft is a graft and it can only go in one way. Not true.

Of course this is just my opinion. But as you can see from my posting history, I usually try not to overly promote Dr. Keene. I don't want to seem like her personal salesman. But, I felt like expressing my opinion on this one.

Gorp

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery