Depression

I did a topic search for topics dealing with depression, but I could not find one dedicated to the topic.

Basically, I just want to know how people feel about hair loss, and just give someone the opportunity to let out their story - I have been really affected by this, and am hoping that writing it down and letting someone read it will help.

I just feel silly telling someone in person that my hair loss is depressing me - whenever we get on the topic, i laugh it off, try and act like a big man - but this solves nothing. Its not how I feel. I hate pretending it has no effect on me, when its killing me inside.

My problem is, I was always the 'cool' guy. Quite tall, built well, handsome, witty, etc. I dont mean to toot my own horn, but I am making a reasonable judgement of my social status, and well, boys always wanted to be my mates, and I had my fair share of opportunities with the ladies.

I just feel that by losing my hair, I am losing so much more. I am losing this respected social status, and becoming 'that bald creepy guy'.

How shallow, hey?

At the end of the day, I am fairly certain that the need to maintain my head full of hair, and the look that makes me confident, is simply to still be desired by the women around me. There is no better confidence booster than this, and I feel I am losing it.

I am fortunate enough to have a wonderful, beautiful girl by my side who loves me (dont get me wrong, I am not bald nor do I have patches yet, its just overall thinning that only I can see now, as well as the hairdresser), but I have some big relationship problems with her (nothing appearance related - totally different unrelated issues).

I honestly think that ending our relationship is the right thing to do - but then I sit and think, I will end it, take a year to get back on my feet, take a year to find someone just as great - and be bald by then. So essentially, I am doing a terrible thing by hanging on to her, leading her on when I am really not happy.

Its one very viscious cycle. I have come to start hating myself, hating the people around me. Paranoia. Distaste in my appearance. Hate of mirrors.

I feel well and truly depressed, and I see no way out.

My problems with my girl are very deep. I find myself constantly thinking about suicide. I honestly feel that love is the meaning of life - to find that special someone. I have somehow twisted the thoughts in my head into some sort of doomed fate, which I dont want to be part of.

What I am trying to say is, the hair loss is just one small factor in a big mess I have created for myself. I find myself 'coming down' from the highs of popularity of my early 20's, and I fear this rejection, lack of respect.

Ultimately, if the girl I was with did not have these problems with me, I wouldnt give a damn in the world - go bald, yay, who cares - I love someone who loves me.

I think I digressed bigtime off topic. I just wanted to talk about hair loss and how it affects someone. For me, it is intertwined into several other issues I have in life. I am slowly killing myself inside and I cant hack it, for the life of me I cant hack it. I am miserable, and making those around me miserable too.

Is it just me, or do other people feel so depressed about their hair loss as well? I find it eerie to think that seeing other people sad will somehow help me.

Heres to hoping this topic will be somewhat of a good release for the men on this forum (and ladies too). I just typically associate almost all users on here as men, many who, I assume have difficulty expressing their true feelings on the issue, to the people in their life that really matter. Hoping that the second best option, talking to strangers on the net, may help.

I did a topic search for topics dealing with depression, but I could not find one dedicated to the topic.

Basically, I just want to know how people feel about hair loss, and just give someone the opportunity to let out their story - I have been really affected by this, and am hoping that writing it down and letting someone read it will help.

I just feel silly telling someone in person that my hair loss is depressing me - whenever we get on the topic, i laugh it off, try and act like a big man - but this solves nothing. Its not how I feel. I hate pretending it has no effect on me, when its killing me inside.

My problem is, I was always the 'cool' guy. Quite tall, built well, handsome, witty, etc. I dont mean to toot my own horn, but I am making a reasonable judgement of my social status, and well, boys always wanted to be my mates, and I had my fair share of opportunities with the ladies.

I just feel that by losing my hair, I am losing so much more. I am losing this respected social status, and becoming 'that bald creepy guy'.

How shallow, hey?

At the end of the day, I am fairly certain that the need to maintain my head full of hair, and the look that makes me confident, is simply to still be desired by the women around me. There is no better confidence booster than this, and I feel I am losing it.

I am fortunate enough to have a wonderful, beautiful girl by my side who loves me (dont get me wrong, I am not bald nor do I have patches yet, its just overall thinning that only I can see now, as well as the hairdresser), but I have some big relationship problems with her (nothing appearance related - totally different unrelated issues).

I honestly think that ending our relationship is the right thing to do - but then I sit and think, I will end it, take a year to get back on my feet, take a year to find someone just as great - and be bald by then. So essentially, I am doing a terrible thing by hanging on to her, leading her on when I am really not happy.

Its one very viscious cycle. I have come to start hating myself, hating the people around me. Paranoia. Distaste in my appearance. Hate of mirrors.

I feel well and truly depressed, and I see no way out.

My problems with my girl are very deep. I find myself constantly thinking about suicide. I honestly feel that love is the meaning of life - to find that special someone. I have somehow twisted the thoughts in my head into some sort of doomed fate, which I dont want to be part of.

What I am trying to say is, the hair loss is just one small factor in a big mess I have created for myself. I find myself 'coming down' from the highs of popularity of my early 20's, and I fear this rejection, lack of respect.

Ultimately, if the girl I was with did not have these problems with me, I wouldnt give a damn in the world - go bald, yay, who cares - I love someone who loves me.

I think I digressed bigtime off topic. I just wanted to talk about hair loss and how it affects someone. For me, it is intertwined into several other issues I have in life. I am slowly killing myself inside and I cant hack it, for the life of me I cant hack it. I am miserable, and making those around me miserable too.

Is it just me, or do other people feel so depressed about their hair loss as well? I find it eerie to think that seeing other people sad will somehow help me.

Heres to hoping this topic will be somewhat of a good release for the men on this forum (and ladies too). I just typically associate almost all users on here as men, many who, I assume have difficulty expressing their true feelings on the issue, to the people in their life that really matter. Hoping that the second best option, talking to strangers on the net, may help.

I sympathize and empathize with you, more than you know.

Having read your entire post -- and reflected upon it....I have to say that I think your current depression might really be centered around something hair-irrelevent....and that the prospect -- and fear -- of going bald, which you are focusing on, is a manifestation of some other problem(s).

Anyways, seems like you have a lot going for you, and even if you do go bald (which may not happen and even if it does you have plenty of options) you probably overstimate how negatively other people will react to it...you can be sure, however, that wallowing in despair and pity WILL start to negatively effect how other people perceive you....which you've mentioned...do your best to analyze things rationally, and quell the irrationale emotions that you are feeling -- focus on making decisions (however minor, or large) which will positively effect you...at the end of the day, that is your best bet.

I would also go look into seeing a therapist/psychiatrist, to be honest; and in the meantime, do what you can to focus on things outside of your hairloss.....consider buzzing your head, too -- out of sight, out of mind sorta thing.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

anonymous man, I've heard story after story about hair loss and feeling hopeless, and I would have never thought about it had it not been for the HTN and the internet. I've concluded without a doubt by reading stories and cross referencing that with actual people I see in public and the look, body language, etc, that hair loss is a real source of pain. I think by what you say of your degree of hair loss you're in a better position to have a good outcome from an HT; don't you think? I don't think your vain or blame you one bit for wanting to look better. It just shows that you're willing to stay in the game and will do what it takes to do so. Is there any one thing you can do at this point to feel better about yourself day by day? Keep in mind one thing also that when you cross paths with your girlfreind or even think about her that it could be a bit of a downer but only until that whole thing gets resolved.

Nice responses by both of you, thanks

I am a bit ashamed to speak of my feelings about losing hair to others, and to get someone to understand here is really good.

I guess I didnt intend to start a thread to help 'ME', rather somewhere just for open discussion. But I realise now that yes, my whole post was about me me me.

thanatopsis, you probably hit it spot on - baldness is simply fuelling a deeper depression.

But anyway, do other people feel the same? Deeply depressed? Anxiety? Panic attacks? Suicidal?

Im starting to think I am going insane

About five years ago, I battled depression. The level of anxiety I experienced was unbelievable. I would get serious panic attacks out of nowhere. I panicked about getting the next panic attack and before I knew it my head was spinning, heart was racing, thought I was dying and I just wanted turn my brain off but could not. Hair loss was not the cause of my ordeal, but if these are some of the symptoms that you are experiencing as a reult of your hair loss, man do I sympathize and empathize with you. What I went through I would not wish on anybody and I sincerely hope you find a way to cope with your emotions. In the meantime panic attacks can be controlled, but only when you learn to no longer fear them. I suspect like some of the other guys have already touched upon, that you have other issues to deal with more troubling than the loss of your hair. Find out what it is that is nagging you and dump it in the garbage. Nothing and nobody is worth living in constant torture over.

good luck

Originally posted by anonymous man:

But anyway, do other people feel the same? Deeply depressed? Anxiety? Panic attacks? Suicidal?

Im starting to think I am going insane[/quote

your not alone dude. for sure. my crown isnt bald either but you can see the horseshoe forming on the top of my head. when i shaved my head and noticed for the first time the horseshoe i literally felt like something inside of me just died. but dude i guess think positive(easy to say, but to be honest i still get sad about it every day) im waiting for a cure too man.

I wrote about this recently too dude, kinda my general feeling now dude

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/showthread.php?t=153360

~im getting a hair transplant in 2012 when im 25~

After reading your previous post I agree with you Jupiter that everything is relative. Not to minimize anyones feelings or concerns about their situations but I often just appreciate what I do have and make the best of it instead of focusing on all that is wrong.

Many years ago I went to the store and as I was walking in, out front was what I thought a baby in a wheelchair parked right out front. To my amazement it was an adult with all limbs amputated. I couldn't even make out if it was male or female as it had no hair either, absolutely none anywhere. It was just a tiny stubby body and a head, sitting in a wheelchair. The most freakish and heartbreaking thing I have ever seen. It was also very real. I had to realize that this person lives like this every moment of his life. It hit me so hard I cried after I left. From that day on, I told myself I would never complain about anything that happens to me.

That wasn't exactly a realistic resolution, but I do reflect back on this from time to time and it humbles me all over again.

No doubt , hairloss can effect you on a large scale. We have heard it from many people

depression, isolation, anxiety,loss of confidence etc. etc..

Personally, I experienced all of these and it affected me in a large way from 23 - 35 . Since my HT it is really like being young again and able to catch up in my social life ..

Is it psychological, of course but it also is reality based. When you lose your hair early it

can affect the way people treat you socially due to the fact most people are just establising themselves. It was hard for me as well to deal with this when I was just getting comfortable in my own skin..

NOW, lets keep everything in perspective. There are people with cancer, etc. etc. so we must try to realize this. However, everything is relative and for a person who is in their 20's and becoming an adult, this situation is very real.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Rambler,

That's a very moving memory you've described; thanks for sharing it. It can be hard to keep personal problems in perspective sometimes, hair related or otherwise, but I am going to remember that story.

-------

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my My Hair Loss Website

Originally posted by Rambler:

After reading your previous post I agree with you Jupiter that everything is relative. Not to minimize anyones feelings or concerns about their situations but I often just appreciate what I do have and make the best of it instead of focusing on all that is wrong.

Many years ago I went to the store and as I was walking in, out front was what I thought a baby in a wheelchair parked right out front. To my amazement it was an adult with all limbs amputated. I couldn't even make out if it was male or female as it had no hair either, absolutely none anywhere. It was just a tiny stubby body and a head, sitting in a wheelchair. The most freakish and heartbreaking thing I have ever seen. It was also very real. I had to realize that this person lives like this every moment of his life. It hit me so hard I cried after I left. From that day on, I told myself I would never complain about anything that happens to me.

That wasn't exactly a realistic resolution, but I do reflect back on this from time to time and it humbles me all over again.

Exactly my point - I feel dirty for my depression

I punish myself for being depressed when I am perfectly healthy, while others suffer physically throughout their life, yet feel better than I do

I hate myself for it, and it just fuels my distaste towards myself

Its good to hear from others though, that there is a way past it.

I hope I can pull through

Thank you gents for your kind words.

MAN UP BITCH!

this is what i was told to do when i was suffering from depression on countless occasions by work mates who i confided in.

it doesnt help but it used to make me smile icon_smile.gif

i think you probably have a host of insecurity issues and the fear of going bald and turning into a ugly,creepy,lonely recluse is adding fuel to your depression fire.

my advice get help.dont be fobbed off with meds,these can help sometimes but i think you need to talk with someone professionally.

at the end of the day going bald isnt the end of the world and in this day and age we can reverse baldness with medication and surgery.

or as thana suggested buzz it all off!it can be a very liberating experience especially if it is playing on your mind constantly.

im sure your freinds still see you as the tall cool dude you always were and the only way that will change is if your personality changes.

SO DONT LET IT!

good luck.

2381 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2201 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2000+ fut Dr Bessam Farjo

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Bessam Farjo

challenge the unchallenged.

anonymous,

What a great thread, thanks for starting it.

I think most hair loss sufferers feel very similar to you, but often times are too afraid to admit it. That is one of the beauties of an anonymous hair loss community (even as your alias says...anonymous).

There are certainly different levels of how our insecurities impact us. I have seen some just accept that baldness is a part of life and have seen and talked to others who are suffering from extreme depression to the point where suicide has crossed their minds.

I found myself somewhere in the middle.

Let me first say that there is no shame in baldness and there is also no shame for our feelings on the matter. Everyone wants to be liked and even loved by others. Wanting to look our best is part of this, whether we are trying to attract someone from the opposite sex or just present ourselves in a positive light. If we didn't struggle with these things, we wouldn't be human.

My detailed hair loss and hair restoration story can be found below however, I'll just say briefly, that it greatly impacted my self-confidence and how I felt about myself.

In high school, I grew my hair a bit longer, coincidentally around the same time the movie "The Legend of the Fall" came out (extremely sad movie by the way) starring Brad Pitt. Many girls in those days started telling me that I looked like Brad Pitt from that movie, partly because of my hair, and I quickly found out that this was a huge compliment and boosted my ego. When I started losing my hair, I was devastated. For about 7 years, I would not go out socially (unless the situation mandated it) without wearing a backwards baseball cap. For the longest time, I could get away with it too, because I did wear a hat a good amount in high school, but then would take it off to let the girls play with my hair. (no wearing a hat does not cause hair loss).

In later days, I compared myself to the Phantom of the Opera. With my hat, I felt charming and relatively confident, just as the Phantom did with his mask. But once the hat came off, I felt naked, exposed, and unattractive. I felt like everyone was staring at my head (even though they probably weren't) and felt that they were thinking how hideous I was (much like the Phantom of the Opera without his mask).

Ironically, unlike you, hair loss still affected me even though my wife said I look great with or without hair.

I'm thankful that real hair restoration solutions are available, even though we are far from a cure for hair loss.

Thank you for all the members who have opened up and contributed their input so far. I encourage other members to share their hair loss story and how it's impacted them as well.

Onwards and Upwards,

Bill

My friend we have alot in common. I battled with everything you are. I was happy go lucky with all the ladies and respect,but as I lost my hair,my confidance went right down!!! You can check out my weblog to see how much hair I have lost and I will add a pic a few years ago to see such a dramatic change in my appearence. I use to go to the gym and workout 5 days a week and was in top notch shape until I really hit depression with my hair falling out fast. It came out of nowhere with mbp in my family history. private message me and we can chat, I think I can help you alot. Here that pic so you can see what a dramatic change it has been for me and you can see why depression hit so hard!!!

dennis_1.jpg.e0db3ba568a0481d03cd6bc3ad1e6f48.jpg

anonoymous,

Don't feel dirty about your feelings, nor discount your issues or problems. We *all* have issues of one type or another, even those that you *think* are on top of the world.

Although I think you are accelerating your issues to a point to where they are unhealthy, it is normal to have them and the doubts that come along with them. What's important is how you deal with them in a positive healthy way. You can get through this.

One more thing Anonoymous -- hairloss has (had...?) wrecked me to an extent that seems extremely similiar to how you are currently feeling. I've made a few posts of similiar content in the past, but I too felt like the only end in sight was *more* misery that would chug along as did my MPB...BUT, as many others on this forum can attest, you CAN get through it...not an easy process, not necessarily a quick process -- but a viable process.

Hairloss struck me at an incredibly inopportune time (not that it is every actually opportune to begin with); and I felt as if a cosmic force was slapping me in the face, tauntingly. Ultimately, hairloss swoops in and snatches us of the normal luxury of our "God-given" appearance, which we develop a bond and intimate connection with -- often with much struggle -- during adolescence. This deprivation can cause identity crises, on an extremely emotional and extremely powerful level.

Anyways, as I initially thought, and you confirmed, the hairloss is a vortex that is fueling a complicated, deeper depression....take a step back, and do your best to objectively look at what exactly is the cause(s) and why you are reacting as you are.

I would recommend doing something to jumpstart your quest, if you think you need a boost -- be it buzzing your head, starting a new vigorous workout regime or activity, etc.

-----------

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

every guy with hairloss, no matter what they say, are feeling its effects in some manner. some more than others.

just remember there are solutions, and there are litterally millions of guys going through the same thing. also, things could be worse.

I have a friend who seriously dated a girl, who was very pretty, and she was born without hair, she wore a wig. he is handsome and successful, and he did not care.

anyway, it is possible you are more genetically swayed towards having depression on the best of days, and the hairloss just triggered it.

either way, you only live once, like a friend of mine put it, I would rather drive a honda, and have a head of hair, than a bmw and be bald.

Napolean was quoted as saying he would give up all his power to have his hair back. so, you are not the only one that this effects icon_smile.gif

Man, I'm feeling you. I was once in a similar situation.

Even this weekend on a trip with 15 guys; one of the younger guys of the group was astonished that I had actually went to the prom with this (now 40 year-old hot woman in his town). I jokingly said "I used to be good-looking."

But the fact is, the chick I dated immediately before my "hot" prom date was much hotter. And the one in college was even hotter. I maybe mistakenly treated my college girlfriend like some of the others and broke it off much too early. Only this time, at 23, I found the women who were interested in me now weren't the same caliber women I'd grown accustomed to.

Now I was thinning on top. And often, like you, it wasn't noticeable to others but damn I got tired of hearing the ladies who cut may hair say "you sure are thin on top to be so young...." I think my dwindling confidence was affecting me out on the trail very much, too.

Not only was I not getting the women I used to; I wasn't even approaching them. My 20's were a blure after about age 24. Yes, I got married but honestly I would have preferred to wait a couple of more years - and sew some more oats.

But I'll tell you this. That girl I married back in 1991 wasn't a 10 then but she's a by-God 12 now! She's held up amazingly well and at 40 is quite stunning. And she's very frugil with money, very supportive of just about anything I've ever wanted, and a heck of a mother to my sons.

My point is this.... Those two or three girls I was serious with were fine, no doubt, but who knows what would've happened had I stayed with them. You know what else used to bother me? Every guy in the room wanting to pick them up. I might not have made it through that. Heck, I might be in jail right now! icon_mad.gif

Now, my wife looks so good for a 40 year old every guy would like to pick her up. Except now, we're pretty set with the marriage, kids, etc. I don't worry about that too much.

So, the moral to my story is sometimes things happen for a reason. Going bald sucks, but in the grand scheme of things I would rather live with a head full of 28-plug transplants and no eyes than to not live.

My only advice is don't have a bad hair transplant, though. There are plenty of guys with very bald heads who can get fine women. Bruce Willis, Andre Agassi, etc.

On most of our finest days, a bald (and old) Bruce Willis can get our girl. So, it ain't just all about the hair.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Wow. So if your wife was a 10, but is now a 12...does that mean that existentially speaking, she is really an 11?

-----------

Originally posted by thanatopsis_awry:

Wow. So if your wife was a 10, but is now a 12...does that mean that existentially speaking, she is really an 11?

MISREAD ALERT!!!

Actually, I said "the girl I married in 1991 wasn't a 10 then but she's a by-God 12 now!" Interpretation: I feel like she has improved with time.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Anon Man,

Though I've never felt extremes such as you describe I won't say that my hair loss didn't bother me a great deal, it did and still does. I just had a transplant about 6-7 weeks back and I look like hell so I can't tell you a transplant is all blue bells n sunshine just yet.

I'm a fairly confident successful guy and have never had trouble with ladies but hair loss really upset me. For years I struggled with the weakness (to me) of my hair loss bothering me, after having a transplant done I still feel that way to a large extent.It's like I discovered a weakness in my character that pleased me not at all.

I despise vanity as we seem to live in a society that caters to the lowest common denominator etc. and I've always looked upon people who get vanity surgery done with a certain amount of disdain. I consider a HT vanity surgery but and it's a big but, we live in a society that judges us on appearance to a large degree and for the vast majority of men, hair loss is a very big issue no matter what they say. As I was one who went years saying it was no big deal yet having it bother me regularly to the point that I felt I needed to fix it I can attest to that. Is it the cause of your depression? No idea, that's a shrinks job. What I do know is that in my case when things aren't going great, my hair loss drives me nuts so it's an issue.

I wish you all the best and as you've already read, you aren't alone.

If it's any consolation, Julius Caeser started losing his hair in his 30's and it supposedly aggravated him a great deal so we all aren't in bad company. Look on the bright side, we can have a HT done as opposed to crucifying a bunch of people when we're having a bad no hair day. Caeser couldn't.

My Hair Loss Weblog

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

If you are feeling depressed by your hair loss, you are not alone. There are several researches on psychology of hair loss showing association of hair loss and depression and anxiety. Last year Dr. Rassman and I did a research on psychology of hair transplant. We asked 200 people who had their first hair transplant surgery over a year ago eight questions on the changes they felt after complete result of their hair transplant surgery.

The good news is you can reverse your depression with hair restoration and with available technology it is easily available.

I presented the result on the last annual meeting of international society of hair restoration surgery in Vegas. I also submitted an article to the journal of the society that was recently published as cover article.

Here is the abstract of the article that I put in my hair transplant weblog:

?« US Hair Restoration Video ClipPsychology of Hair Transplant

I just received the last issue of the Hair Transplant Forum International, the Journal of International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (ISHRS). Our article "Psychology of Hair Transplant" is published as the cover article on this issue of the journal. Here is an abstract:

--------------

Psychology of Hair Transplant

Parsa Mohebi, M.D., William Rassman, M.D.

Balding and its psychological impacts has been the subject of many studies in the past. The relationship between hair loss and stress is clear to all clinicians who practice in this field. Negative psychosocial impacts of hair loss in male patterned baldness and in women with generalized thinning have also been seen. Many of us (hair transplant surgeons) have seen the negative effects of hair loss on self esteem and self-image.

We know that hair loss impacts some men's sex life and their stability with regard to career choices in men of different ages. Despite the solid evidences and published literature on psychological impact of hair loss, the corrective effect of medical and surgical hair restoration has never been studied. After observing the drastic changes in patient behavior and the high level of patient satisfaction in those who had hair transplant procedure, we were motivated to look into the psychological impact of hair restoration on different aspects of a patient's life.

We came up with a series of criteria that could have been modified by having a hair restoration procedure; we used some indexes that were previously studied comparing bald and non bald men on different psychological variables. We initially performed a pilot study and asked patients about different aspects of their lives during their post op visits. We gave our patients open ended questionnaires and probed their psychological state after their hair restoration procedure was complete. Eventually we focused in on eight major criteria that have been reported and documented as variables associated with hair loss in the literature. We collected a subset of them in our pilot study. Included were questions on the general level of happiness, energy level, feeling of youthfulness, anxiety levels, self confidence, outlook on their future and impact on their sex life.

We have chosen the patients who had their first hair transplant surgery between one to three years from the time of our study, so they had seen the final result of their hair restoration procedure. We limited the study to male patients with male pattern baldness and the ones who had surgeries less than three years ago so they still had a fresh memory of the changes they experienced. Each patient had exclusively follicular unit transplants that reflected our standard of care for that period. We sent a questionnaire with a brief description on the nature of this scientific study. We did not collect any patient identifiers and the response was totally voluntary. We sent the two hundred questionnaires with stamped return envelope.

The response rate to our questionnaire was 37 (18%). Each patient was used as his own control since we asked about the changes that they experienced after surgery in comparison to those variables before the surgery. We used T-test to compare patient's responses. Table 1 shows the mean and standard error in eight different criteria that were asked. Patients had significant improvements in all eight criteria regardless of their stage of baldness and their ages.

In another attempt to compare psychological changes that patients experienced in different stages of baldness, we divided patients into two groups: (1) those who had Norwood IV patterns or less and (2) the ones with Norwood V patterns and above. We observed the most significant difference in two categories, (a) sex life and (b) career experience. Patients with less balding had a greater impact on their sex life and career when compared to patients who had more advanced stages of hair loss. These changes were not age related.

Hair restoration surgery can affect many aspects of a patient's life. Hair transplant can potentially reverse psycho-social problems associated with hair loss. The positive impact of hair restoration surgery is more visible among patients who suffer from those undesirable effects the most. In early stages of hair loss, patients may have more awareness of their condition and they might be more affected than men in the later stages of hair loss.

Patients who experienced hair loss at an early age while involved in an active social life were more prone to the negative side effects of balding. That could explain why younger people with hair loss appeared more benefited by hair restoration procedures. Also it could be assumed that hair loss can have a negative impact on a patient's outlook which seems to reverse after receiving a hair restoration procedure which improved their outlook.

Low response rate from a blind mailing has always been a drawback in questionnaire studies. We received 37 out of 200 of the questionnaires that we sent out (response rate was 18.5%). Giving incentives to responders may be a good way of increasing the participation rate of any questionnaire studies. We presented the result of this study at the annual scientific meeting of ISHRS and have been contacted by many of our colleagues who expressed interest in collaborating in a larger scale study. We are currently trying to rise funding for repeating this study to optimize our response rate and the statistical value of the study.

-----

This attached graph can say more than anything on the changes that you can experience after hair transplant surgery.

Good luck.

Best,

Dr. Parsa Mohebi

psychology-of-hair-transplant.jpg.9c3d33432b67fbed6c48a3394d276d5c.jpg

Parsa Mohebi, M.D.

Medical Director of

Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration

Dr. Parsa Mohebi is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network