1 year post-op

dhuge67

In 20 days I'll be 1 full year post op, and boy, nothing's changed! LOL

Okay, I don't want to look like I've gone crazy or anything, but hairloss has taken a backseat to LIFE for me right now. It's a good thing that it's not bothering me like it used to, but it's bad that my surgery didn't help the problem much and just left me 6,500 dollars poorer and with a permanent scar.

Okay, all is not lost. I am 21. I don't even have a real job yet. I'll deal with the issue at some point when finances and life allows me to take a 2 month physical respite.

The scar isn't all that ugly (and luckily neither is my face icon_wink.gif ), so I lucked out on that.

(I also figure I might as well mention that I stopped my Propecia use today. I just dumped the shit. I was getting sexual sides and I think it was slowing my progress in the gym. It didn't regrow anything, so it's just not worth it to stay on it. I was thinking of taking Saw Palmetto as a cheap replacement, but I might just go with the flow now. Meds just slow the inevitable and with sexual side effects...hell no.)

I'm going into the Marine Corps, so a shaved head won't look so odd...how ironic.

Anyway, I learned a hard lesson and all I can do is look forward now and I just hope to be able to deal with this in the future and with an excellent doctor.

I'll be checking back every now and again...

Thank you all for the support and wish me luck at Quantico, when I'll be down there for 10 weeks this coming Summer.

Thanks again,

Chris "Dhuge" DiEugenio

1,614 with Dr. Pistone on 2/3/06 in Marlton, NJ.

As long as the moon shall rise

As long as the rivers flow

As long as the sun shall shine

And the grass will grow

Let me listen, I will learn to speak

The old language

Yes, I yearn to bathe in blue skies

And fall apart from the world of machines

Regain my feet and my pounding heart

My Hair Loss Weblog

In 20 days I'll be 1 full year post op, and boy, nothing's changed! LOL

Okay, I don't want to look like I've gone crazy or anything, but hairloss has taken a backseat to LIFE for me right now. It's a good thing that it's not bothering me like it used to, but it's bad that my surgery didn't help the problem much and just left me 6,500 dollars poorer and with a permanent scar.

Okay, all is not lost. I am 21. I don't even have a real job yet. I'll deal with the issue at some point when finances and life allows me to take a 2 month physical respite.

The scar isn't all that ugly (and luckily neither is my face icon_wink.gif ), so I lucked out on that.

(I also figure I might as well mention that I stopped my Propecia use today. I just dumped the shit. I was getting sexual sides and I think it was slowing my progress in the gym. It didn't regrow anything, so it's just not worth it to stay on it. I was thinking of taking Saw Palmetto as a cheap replacement, but I might just go with the flow now. Meds just slow the inevitable and with sexual side effects...hell no.)

I'm going into the Marine Corps, so a shaved head won't look so odd...how ironic.

Anyway, I learned a hard lesson and all I can do is look forward now and I just hope to be able to deal with this in the future and with an excellent doctor.

I'll be checking back every now and again...

Thank you all for the support and wish me luck at Quantico, when I'll be down there for 10 weeks this coming Summer.

Thanks again,

Chris "Dhuge" DiEugenio

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

Chris,

Sorry to hear about your situation. Although we're pretty similar in term of graft counts (mine is 1820), I definitely will do everything I can to acheive the best restoration. My last operation was in 2004 and I've been putting it off ever since in both Propecia and research. I am now back on it, and even though it might not grow any new hair, it might help me with what I have. About your sexual side effects, I thought it goes away after a while?

I would very much like to encourage you to fight till the bitter end, but it's all up to you.

Have you talked to any of the coalition doctors? Maybe putting it off until you're older might be a good idea. And you know what, as long as you have a nice head, having it shaved might not be that bad.

Good luck in everything.

Regards

Originally posted by vinto:

Chris,

Sorry to hear about your situation. Although we're pretty similar in term of graft counts (mine is 1820), I definitely will do everything I can to acheive the best restoration. My last operation was in 2004 and I've been putting it off ever since in both Propecia and research. I am now back on it, and even though it might not grow any new hair, it might help me with what I have. About your sexual side effects, I thought it goes away after a while?

I would very much like to encourage you to fight till the bitter end, but it's all up to you.

Have you talked to any of the coalition doctors? Maybe putting it off until you're older might be a good idea. And you know what, as long as you have a nice head, having it shaved might not be that bad.

Good luck in everything.

Regards

Thanks man.

If I learned anything from this process, it's that information is king and I didn't have enough and should have listened to the good people here. How many times does one have to make a mistake like that before he learns???

Anyway, I do plan to ultimately restore my hair, and at least I do know that is possible and I have a place to turn to in the future.

Propecia didn't regrow my hair, though it may have slowed or stopped the loss...but it's not worth it due to the sides and the cost/mental anxiety of taking a hormone altering drug.

I've decided to let nature take its course, but I will go under the knife in the future, I just don't know when or with whom.

Here's my 1 year pic, after just shaving off an almost "full" head of hair. The hair I have when I grow it out is just pretty thin all over, and the transplants weren't high quality so they are actually more obvious the more I grow it.

Photo1.jpg

Chris

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

Chris,

You're like me actually. I also have hair all over my head, but also pretty thin. I'm 26 going on 27 now, and I will do everything I can to restore my hair before I'm 30.

From the look of it, you can definitely pull off the shaved look without anyone ever raising a question of hairloss, so that's the positive thing. It's unfortunate to hear you deciding to stop with Propecia, because when you do decide to go under the knife again you might have more to work with.

Maybe in the future, the technology will advance so much that a full head of hair is acheivable with minial costs and wounds.

Good luck once again, and do check back from time to time.

Regards.

Originally posted by nobuzz4me:

Good luck DHUGE you will make a fine Marine!

Time is on your side, after you decide to restore hair later in life the techniques and drugs will only get better - although this bald gene is a one tough bastard! icon_wink.gif

Thanks for the good wishes, guys, it's kind of you.

Maybe this is "a good time to be bald," so to speak? Hopefully some advancements in surgical techniques and medicinal innovations will lead to even better options in the future.

Maybe by the time I go back to addressing this issue, I'll have the ability to restore a lot of hair and at a lower cost (to my wallet and body).

Til then, I've got a lot more to worry about (Drill Sergeants) than my hair.

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

dhuge,

Glad to see your post. Good luck and God Bless you in the marines my friend. I'm sure you'll do excellent. I think it's a good idea to let your hairloss take a back seat for now anyway, even though you already had one HT, you'll know better for sure how to address the problem in the future.

Bill

Bill, Joe, thank you.

Semper Fidelis = Always Faithful

In less than a year, I hope to be able to return that motto as a Marine, to Mr. Ferko.

Everyone, take it easy!

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

Chris-

Even though the HT didn't turn out like you planned, it seems all was not lost and you have a great attitude about your future which is 99% of life's battle (maybe 100% icon_wink.gif)

I've enjoyed reading your posts and getting to know you around the forum. Best wishes to you in the Marines, I'm sure you'll do great. Check in with us follically challenged (or formerly follically challenged) types when you have time.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Good Luck D------ I am glad to see you taking real good care of yourself and putting this situation behind you for now.

Just be careful out there, Ok?

Make sure you steer your fellow balding Jarheads to the site!!!!!!!

Much Love my brother!!!!!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

• Administrators

Chris,

During boot camp, with everyones head shaven, I expect hair loss will be the last thing on your mind.

Best wishes for you as a Marine. It would be interesting to hear from you about your training and experiences.

Thanks for all your many contributions to this community. You will always have a place here.

Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Thanks again guys.

I'll post before I leave and then again when I come back (from hell).

Til then, take it easy.

Candidate DiEugenio

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

Originally posted by soccerguy11:

how obvious is your scar with the shaved head?

Pretty damn obvious, but I don't care. It's thin and white, so it just looks like I had brain surgery or something...and that's what I'll say: "Yeah, I'm crazy, wudderyagonnadoaboutit?"

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm doing well, thanks...

Hair sucks, but I'm just 21 and 1/2 years of age, with a lot of donor hair left, and a positive outlook about the future possibilities regarding my hair situation. Things will get worse before they get better...BUT THEY WILL EVENTUALLY BE AWESOME.

I'll have envied hair someday! Haha...maybe not...but it'll be fine since I know where I can turn to look for the "best current doc" when the time comes.

Thanks again all,

SF

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

Sounds like you're doing great, Chris. It's been a pleasure getting to know you. I'll be anxious to hear how boot camp goes for you this summer. You're gong to be in great shape.........keep it up!

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

• 2 weeks later...

I just thought I'd pop in to share a few things with you all.

First, the hair situation: the scar is hardly visible anymore. It seems that at about the 1-year point, it looked much more faded than it did at even 6 months. Today, it's really, really thin and light-looking, which makes it easier to buzz my hair. The hair in the front (the transplants) looks slightly better, due to the "aging" of the transplants. It's still a dusting of follicular units though, and I'm still thinning out all over...but much more slowly thinning than I did at age 19.

Marine Corps: Just 2.5 months until I ship off to Quantico, VA for a nice 10-week Summer vacation. Training is going well; lifting and running are my main areas of concentration for the time being, much to the flummoxing of my peers at Penn State.....RIGHT. For them it's beer first, books second. For me it's the gym first, the books second.

Well...good luck to everyone with their current growth or upcoming procedures. I wish you all luck!

Thanks for the continued support,

Chris

n9302560_3878.jpg

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

Dhuge,

You muscle man you! I heard Steroids can automatically clone hair follicles underneath the skin and spread them out to the balding areas? I heard it helps if you lift weights while standing on your head icon_biggrin.gif. (Seriously guys...don't try this at home)

Good to hear from you brother! Glad to hear that the scar is hardly noticable. You can worry about the hair situation later like you said. But for now, keep working hard man...you seem to love it and have a passion for it.

I'm proud to have you representing our country my friend! Keep in touch with your formerly bald but now hairy brothers!

Bill