Hello all. I am 32 years old living in San Diego, California and have been curious about my hair loss and possible solutions. I have to say, I am really impressed by this message board, the posters and the knowledge displayed. I can safely say that I've learned a lot more over the past hour or so reading quite a few threads than I did before.

Over the past few years have started to notice hair loss, but most specifically in the past year while I've been wearing my hair shorter. While I've read the different scales of baldness, I can't recite them, so forgive my vagueness. My father is completely bald on top and he had about the same hair level as I do now when he was my age, so I realize, eventually, I need to do something.

I had met with Medical Hair Restoration in San Diego last fall about a possible hair transplant, but the cost immediately scared me away. My hair level hasn't decreased to my naked eye much since then so I've put it off, but it's something that I'm reminded of because my hair is somewhat thin on top. I will post pictures ASAP by the way.

Sorry to ramble here though. I have many questions, but I'll start with one: I see some people (either in signatures or in posts) mention that they got a HT but also take drugs in addition. Why is this? Wouldn't an HT alone solve the problem? I'm obviously not understanding all of the details so forgive the naive and ignorant question.

However, after thinking about the cost again and realizing that my hair loss isn't that advanced (yet), I'm now starting to think that maybe Propecia or some other non-surgical method might be right for now, as while my hair is thinning on top, it's not too noticeable (unless I bend and you look directly at my scalp from the top), just to see if regrowth happens.

So I do have that one question above, but like I said, I'll probably have more. In any case, thank you for having this board and thanks for your educational feedback that I feel fortunate to have read about.

John

Hello all. I am 32 years old living in San Diego, California and have been curious about my hair loss and possible solutions. I have to say, I am really impressed by this message board, the posters and the knowledge displayed. I can safely say that I've learned a lot more over the past hour or so reading quite a few threads than I did before.

Over the past few years have started to notice hair loss, but most specifically in the past year while I've been wearing my hair shorter. While I've read the different scales of baldness, I can't recite them, so forgive my vagueness. My father is completely bald on top and he had about the same hair level as I do now when he was my age, so I realize, eventually, I need to do something.

I had met with Medical Hair Restoration in San Diego last fall about a possible hair transplant, but the cost immediately scared me away. My hair level hasn't decreased to my naked eye much since then so I've put it off, but it's something that I'm reminded of because my hair is somewhat thin on top. I will post pictures ASAP by the way.

Sorry to ramble here though. I have many questions, but I'll start with one: I see some people (either in signatures or in posts) mention that they got a HT but also take drugs in addition. Why is this? Wouldn't an HT alone solve the problem? I'm obviously not understanding all of the details so forgive the naive and ignorant question.

However, after thinking about the cost again and realizing that my hair loss isn't that advanced (yet), I'm now starting to think that maybe Propecia or some other non-surgical method might be right for now, as while my hair is thinning on top, it's not too noticeable (unless I bend and you look directly at my scalp from the top), just to see if regrowth happens.

So I do have that one question above, but like I said, I'll probably have more. In any case, thank you for having this board and thanks for your educational feedback that I feel fortunate to have read about.

John

I couldn't resist, so I'll just post a few other questions I've been thinking about.

1. Are there vitamins that are directly related to stimulating hair follicles?

2. Is a product like Propecia or Rogaine really something you have to take for the rest of your life?

John

Welcome to the forum, and you are quite right, without these guys on here i would have been totally lost as well!!

As regards your question about taking hair loss drugs, the idea is that the drugs will help keep the hair that you already have, and may in some cases result in strengthening or even some re growth, although i think you will find regrowth is somewhat rarer.

The problem with male pattern hair loss is that like your father, you may well progress to a NW6 or NW7, which means that the area to be covered would require a huge number of grafts!! So if you can slow down or stop your progression, this will allow a Doc to do more with your donor supply.

Hope this helps.

All the best

Clive.

John-

Clive is correct. Finasteride (propecia, proscar) is a great tool that will help you hold on to your hair/slow the hair loss process.

Rogaine, which works by a different mechanism, is synergistic (1 + 1 = 3) in it's effect when taken along with finasteride. When regrowth does occur due to the medication(s), it is typically limited to the crown area.

As for your questions, there are suplements that can help you maintain the overall health of your hair and scalp, but the only medications recognized TO ACTUALLY WORK to retain/regrow hair are finasteride and minoxidil.

And yes, the medications only work if you take them, as long as you take them, like most medications.

That said, it is customary to begin finasteride and continue for a year, as that is the length of time really necessary to evaluate whether or not the Rx will work for you. (Hair is a slow growing process....(sigh!)).

This is a great resource.

Welcome.

Sincerely,

Timothy Carman, MD ABHRS

President, (ABHRS)
ABHRS Board of Directors

No vitamins will help against male pattern baldness. Unfortunately, the "all natural/herbal/miracle cures" are all BS.

Other than surgery you have the "big 3"; Finasteride, Minoxidil (rogaine), and Ketoconazole (various shampoos). From what I've read, they are most effective in that order. The chemical DHT cause baldness by shrinking hair folicles. Finasteride lowers DHT in the human body, Ketoconazole helps block DHT in the scalp, and rogaine helps stimulate hair growth. Just keep researching this forum, it is by far the best resource and has helped myself and others immensely. It now even has regular posts by some of the top hair restoration doctors in the world, so read up.

The reason everyone recommends finasteride is because it works for most people. Like said above, it helps keep/strengthen what hair you have. Currently, hair transplants cannot achieve natural density, they just help make the scalp appear as close to natural as possible. Finasteride is recommended after surgery to keep the existing hair you have, so in combination with the transplanted hair, it appears more natural. This saves you from more surgeries as more of your natural hair disappears.

Hope this helps, good luck

john,

I was one of those, who started a regimen of propecia and rogaine after my HT. I'm now 1 month post-op, and did it since I was advised to, by Dr Gabel who performed my HT. Even though I'd be losing my hair for several years, I'd been scared away with posts on side-effects from propecia and had previously experienced severe itching from rogaine. After doing alot more research (and thanks in part to Dr Carman who always has great info), I started propecia with no sides and added rogaine foam with an anti-dandruff shampoo to control itch. Like everyone else pointed out, this it to maintain the hair I have. I'm 32 and I'm a NW3-4 with diffuse thinning. My dad is a NW6, and so i know i'll probably get there eventually. The key when you're in the earlier stages is to be conservative with your HT and keep as much natural hair post HT (the transplanted hair wont fall out). If I had to do it over, even though i don't know whether fines and minox are workin g for me yet, i'd have taken them for atleast a year prior to my first HT. Hope that helps..good luck.

- badger

3279 grafts with Dr Gabel - 06/12/08

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Gabel

Wow! Not even a day, and so many helpful posts already. Thank you everyone. Even a post from a doctor! I don't know about other forums, but whatever - one thing that impressed me just by reading around was that several surgeons wrote a lot which is really great.

I'll try to take it one detail at a time, but yet again I learned something. I didn't know Finasteride was Propecia. It seems like I'm going to want to look into this, to buy me some time before my first (probably eventual) HT.

Is the reason though to keep taking Propecia or other medications after a HT simply an in-between transplant surgeries to preserve donor area and native hair?

I can sense that Badger is a guy I can identify with since you are my age, though you've already had an HT. Still, at the same time, what you wrote in something you may have done different can be a great lesson to someone like me who is just starting out in this quest, so thank you very much.

Thank you also to Clive, Dr. Carman and Tooyoung. I'm definitely balding and there's no doubt, so while I don't have a ton of money to spare, buying time is certainly key until I can afford a HT. Thanks again to all who post here and contribute to such a great resource.

No problem John, glad to help. It's funny, I began using this site as strictly a resource, but you find helping others is actually self satisfying as well.

The search tool on this forum is great. Almost any question you have has been asked by someone on this forum. My main advice is to get on finasteride asap. I can't tell you how many threads I've seen where members write "my only regret is not getting on finasteride earlier." For some, the drug is so effective they never have to get surgery. Of course, those are the rarer cases, but still, there is hope! However, there is a risk of side effects so take note. From what i've heard though, these are rare and reversible. I'm 3 months in and no sides.

Also, I'm hoping to halt the loss with propecia until a better alternative is available down the road. There are currently hair cloning trials being done in the UK i believe with very positive results thus far. With the money us "victims" poor into hair restoration every year, there's no doubt these alternatives are on their way in the future.

Originally posted by tooyoung:

Also, I'm hoping to halt the loss with propecia until a better alternative is available down the road. There are currently hair cloning trials being done in the UK i believe with very positive results thus far. With the money us "victims" poor into hair restoration every year, there's no doubt these alternatives are on their way in the future.

yes, yes - that's definitely what I am hoping for as well, and it seems like, at least for now, while I'm trying to buy time so I can afford a procedure, medication certainly seems like the way to go even though that will be expensive as well. Thanks again Tooyoung, I'm going to do a search immediately.

Just a follow up though - I got a consultation like I mentioned from Medical Hair Restoration back in October, 2007 but I saw that they were not on the list of preferred surgeons for the HT procedure. In fact, only one person was even in the San Diego area. Is anyone familiar with Medical Hair Restoration in San Diego and why the chief person there - Dr. Melvin Mayer isn't on the recommended list?

johnd2442,

Welcome to our discussion forum.

Dr. Melvin Mayer is not recommended on the Hair Transplant Network and to my knowledge, never was.

Surgeons who work for big hair transplant chains such as Bosley and MHR are not considered because they can't and don't operate independently. In other words, we couldn't consider one particular physician, we'd have to consider Bosley or MHR as a whole. We have no interest in doing this since it would be virtually impossible to keep track of all of their surgeons and whether or not they all meet our high level of standards. I have no knowledge of Dr. Mayer and therefore can't comment on his surgical ability. Feel free to use the "find" feature of our forum to see what other members have said about him.

For a list of surgeons we recommend in the state of CA, click here. See our standards for recommendation and how we recommend hair transplant surgeons.

Best wishes,

Bill