Q: Lump on back of head

Any ideas how/why I would have developed a "lump" on the back of my head around where the scar is? If I run my hand down the back of my head I can definiately feel it too. Look at the right and left side profile shots here and compare with my pre-ops:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwo...pyID=4882&WebID=1482

hair_me_out,

Check with your doctor to be safe, but it's probably just a few ingrown hairs in the scarline area. I had this happen at various stages of each hair transplant. It's a little annoying when it occurs, but it typically goes away on its own. Alternatively, you could apply Tendskin or another alcohol based product to the area to aid healing.

Best wishes,

Bill

I'm with Bill on this but it never hurts to check into it. I got tons of ingrown hairs along my scar. I called Dr. Alexander's office once or twice and was always told it was probably nothing but to feel free to come in if I was worried about it. I went in and had Dr. A check it out and it was nothing. I was afraid that these bumps would prevent the scar from healing flat but it all came out fine in the end. The scar is perfectly flat. No more bumps.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

• 2 weeks later...

Joe asked Dr. Hasson about it for me and he thinks this lump is a buildup that is normal but usually on the sides of the donor scalp where the donor strip ends. It is the tissue bulging out due to non-uniform pressure.

He also said to give the donor area several months to return to normal so I'm going to keep an eye on it.

I will post here on the status and you can keep an eye on my side profile blog photos to track it, if you're interested.

hair_me_out

• 9 months later...

Hi

I have the exact same lump since my surgery. (I am now 10 days post HT).

While my doc has said it is nothing to worry about, it is still very uncomfortable for me to sleep on my back as I can feel the lump on the back of my head and it hurts if i put pressure.

What is the current status of your swelling/lump?

I had lumps at the ends of my scar on both sides after my first HT. It felt like the doc didn't line up the skin correctly when it was stapled or something like that. I was pretty worried that it would be permanent but told that it would go away in time. And sure enough, both lumps went away after several months of healing.

I'm with Bill on this but it never hurts to check into it. I got tons of ingrown hairs along my scar. I called Dr. Alexander's office once or twice and was always told it was probably nothing but to feel free to come in if I was worried about it. I went in and had Dr. A check it out and it was nothing. I was afraid that these bumps would prevent the scar from healing flat but it all came out fine in the end. The scar is perfectly flat. No more bumps.

How long did those bumps last? I have a couple on my right side along the scar.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

I experienced bumps along my scar with both hair transplants. The first time around I was pretty paranoid and went to see Dr. Alexander to have him check it out. He told me not to worry about it and that they'd go away. Eventually, they did go away and my scar was virtually flat.

The second time around, I also had bumps and, again, I was paranoid thinking that this time they may not go away. Funny how we can completely disregard our own experience in favor of irrational thinking. Anyway, this time they have also disappeared. I'm about 7.5 months post-op and, from time to time, I still get an ingrown hair along the scar but they usually go away pretty quickly.

All the best,

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

• 3 years later...
Hi

I have the exact same lump since my surgery. (I am now 10 days post HT).

While my doc has said it is nothing to worry about, it is still very uncomfortable for me to sleep on my back as I can feel the lump on the back of my head and it hurts if i put pressure.

Has your lump gone? I am also having the same kind of lump above my donor area and i am 3 weeks into an FUT. How long did your lump last for if it did go away eventually.?