Re: Multiple Procedures

Shaggy26

Shaggy26,

Yes adequate scalp laxity is imperative to sustain any strip procedure(s), but not the case with FUSE/FUE/FIT technology.

Preservation and on-going management of the donor areas are also critical in determining potential procedures. Transection can vary between doctors and their respective levels of expertise. Proper closure of the donor area goes along with this to minimize the linear scar so hopefully it can be taken out in any subsequent strip procedure(s).

Permanent shockloss in the donor is yet another consideration for those who sustain it. Thankfully this does not happen to many patients, but obviously could affect future procedures.

Trauma is caused to any recipient area from the recipient incisions and many patients and doctors will tell you that the best yield comes from the first procedure in most cases. This is due to the permanent affects in scarring and compromision of blood flow to the recipient area post-operatively speaking. Many will advise to do as large of a session on your first procedure for these reasons although I am not an advocate of mega-sessions. Yes there are some financial benefits with lower graft prices for huge sessions but there also are some potential drawbacks concerning overall yield. I have yet to see published clinical findings concerning yields on mega-session procedures.

Lastly, your overall general health is of utmost consideration and any prudent ethical clinic will "clear" your current medical condition and history.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I agree with Gill (I have no choice but to, they guy is always right icon_wink.gif ) about megasessions.

However, I do feel that your first session should not be too small. The term "megasession" is a bit vague and a little over-used in my opinion. I think that a first session of 1,500 to 3,000 grafts would be a nice number depending on the needs of the patient, of course. This is where you put your trust into the physician that you are paying so much to trust: ask his/her opinion. Heck, you don't have but so much of a choice anyway. An ethical physician is not going to just take an order and do what you think is best. He/she will, however, work to your expectations as much as possible.

Short story long: pick a physician that will look at your situation long-term and plan accordingly. Once you do that, you and he or she can make a gameplan that will be the most beneficial to your needs.

Best of luck to you,

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

• 10 years later...

I had one HT of 1000 grafts in 2004, another 1000 grafts in 2014 and then two further small touch up's in quick succession (approx 100 grafts each).

The quick touch up's has killed me with Telogen. I ended up with a whammy of shock loss that has taken a full 6 months to begin seeing recovery. Had almost begun to think i was hit with permanent shock loss but it now seems it might end up ok.

A ht done right is one of the best feelings on earth & almost like being born again, but that said, I would recommend spacing procedures out quite a bit. From personal experience repeated hits of shock loss are not good for the follicle's or nerves.

If you become a repair patient, it can definitely be more than 1 attempt. In some cases, touchups are needed if things do not yield well. It all depends on the doc and his team and how they perform the day you are there; also depends on how you folkow post op instructions.

Ive heard folks getting 10 surgeries. With FUT the strips will be limited to laxity, with fue the donor density will be limited to number of extractions.

But i think most folks can get 4-5 without much issue, but again everyone is different.

I agree with Gill (I have no choice but to, they guy is always right icon_wink.gif ) about megasessions.

However, I do feel that your first session should not be too small. The term "megasession" is a bit vague and a little over-used in my opinion. I think that a first session of 1,500 to 3,000 grafts would be a nice number depending on the needs of the patient, of course. This is where you put your trust into the physician that you are paying so much to trust: ask his/her opinion. Heck, you don't have but so much of a choice anyway. An ethical physician is not going to just take an order and do what you think is best. He/she will, however, work to your expectations as much as possible.

Short story long: pick a physician that will look at your situation long-term and plan accordingly. Once you do that, you and he or she can make a gameplan that will be the most beneficial to your needs.

Best of luck to you,

-Robert

Hey Robert,

How nice to see you posting my good friend. I remember you well when you used to moderate this forum community, my word, seems like awhile now.

How are things going with your law degree and I was just wondering if you ever had another procedure. Your procedure with Dr. Cooley looked awesome...;)

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Is it typical to have a lower yield w/ ea subsequent procedure?

It is possible to experience lower yields in subsequent procedures if the follow-up work is done within the same recipient area.

My fourth procedure was not as robust in yield as the others.

Gillenator